ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , racism issues , racists , Trump controversies , Trump supporters

Old 21st September 2017, 04:22 AM   #41
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Trump doesn't strike me as the kind of compelling public speaker whose rhetoric could toggle someone from "hasn't thought about embracing white supremacy" to "has embraced white supremacy".
That's not what "embolden" means. It means toggling someone from "is a racist or white supremacist but kept it to himself" to "hey, the President's on my side!"

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 04:28 AM   #42
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That's not what "embolden" means. It means toggling someone from "is a racist or white supremacist but kept it to himself" to "hey, the President's on my side!"
Though I do think that being emboldened helps many of the recruit new people.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 04:32 AM   #43
Argumemnon
World Maker

No doubt.

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 04:49 AM   #44
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

This dog still wont hunt
Old 21st September 2017, 10:34 AM   #45
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Is it possible that you don't understand what "embolden" means? Hint: It does not mean "convert". Knowing that you are rather intelligent, I'm gonna call "Misdirection!" yet again.
Is it possible you don't know what "embrace" means? Hint: Read the post I was replying to. ponderingturtle explicitly talks about embracing white supremacy. If you think he meant "embolden", take it up with him.

Who's misdirecting who, here?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 10:35 AM   #46
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And who would have though gamergate lead to lots of people embracing nazi ideology, but it does seem to work out that way.
You say so, but you can't provide any examples or data.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 10:37 AM   #47
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It is what "embrace" means, though. Try reading the post I was responding to.
Old 21st September 2017, 10:44 AM   #48
Argumemnon
World Maker

It is what "embrace" means, though. Try reading the post I was responding to.
I did. You responded to Turtle's post about the topic, which is about how Trump emboldens racists. At no point did you or him indicate that you were talking about anything else.

You wouldn't be trying to avoid admitting to making a mistake, would you?

Old 21st September 2017, 02:09 PM   #49
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
Yes, they do.

As stated above, they say they do and they act like they do. There's no reason to think they don't.

The question Trump apologists need to ask themselves is 'why'. The rest of us already know.
I have said it before, if David Duke praises your stance on race, and the Bushes condemn them, then that's a sign that you are in the wrong.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st September 2017, 06:01 PM   #50
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Except he used "empowered". I think "emboldened" is closer to the mark.
"embiggened" is the word.
Old 25th September 2017, 04:52 AM   #51
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
I have said it before, if David Duke praises your stance on race, and the Bushes condemn them, then that's a sign that you are in the wrong.
But you are more truly republican.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 07:01 AM   #52
phiwum
Philosopher

delete

Last edited by phiwum; 25th September 2017 at 07:03 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:23 AM   #53
ahhell
Muse

But you are more truly republican.
This reminds me of the sort of atheists that thinks fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims are more truly Christian/Muslim than their more liberal co-religionists. Even if true, all it does is much the liberal factions more towards the fundies.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:27 AM   #54
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
This reminds me of the sort of atheists that thinks fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims are more truly Christian/Muslim than their more liberal co-religionists. Even if true, all it does is much the liberal factions more towards the fundies.
Where do you find this sort of atheist ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 09:46 AM   #55
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Trump tapped into the energy of the base far more effectively than the Bushes, McCain, Romney or Dole ever did. He won by realizing that they didn't need to bring up some RINO moderate for president.
Old 25th September 2017, 11:40 AM   #56
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Trump's election has certainly empowered the bigots on the left.
Originally Posted by applecorped
This
Originally Posted by casebro
and without even seeing the hypocrisy involved.
As the above quotes show, Trump certainly has emboldened some to cast off the veil. Whereas before they may have at least pretended to be impartial, now it's just full-on partisan false equivalency.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:07 PM   #57
ahhell
Muse

Trump tapped into the energy of the base far more effectively than the Bushes, McCain, Romney or Dole ever did. He won by realizing that they didn't need to bring up some RINO moderate for president.
Its hard to argue with results I suppose. The polling as of a month or two ago suggested that about 20% of republicans were on the side of the Romney's, Doles, etc and still opposed Trump's ascendancy. It suggests you may be right.

That being said, the majority of republicans are not Klansmen nor do the support the Klan. They are however a bit to wiling to associate with the Klan with out second guessing them selves for my tastes.

Last edited by ahhell; 25th September 2017 at 12:10 PM.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2017, 12:16 PM   #58
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Its hard to argue with results I suppose. The polling as of a month or two ago suggested that about 20% of republicans were on the side of the Romney's, Doles, etc and still opposed Trump's ascendancy. It suggests you may be right.

That being said, the majority of republicans are not Klansmen nor do the support the Klan. They are however a bit to wiling to associate with the Klan with out second guessing them selves for my tastes.
They prefer their white supremacy to be couched in more polite terms. That was well known with the organized disenfranchisement of blacks for example.
Old 25th September 2017, 12:35 PM   #59
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Perhaps in this fine building?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg straw.jpg (62.4 KB, 97 views)
Old 26th September 2017, 03:23 AM   #60
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/14/us...ent/index.html

I suppose this lady was just making this story up. Because the bigots, according to those on the right who should know, have not been emboldened by Trump. No. Not at all.

Help! We're being attacked by sea lions!
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 06:29 AM   #61
Stacko
Philosopher

The only thing this guy regrets is getting caught and it looks like he's being let off the hook.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 07:20 AM   #62
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Ayaan Hirsi Ali comes to mind. Geert Wilders too.

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:54 AM   #63
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Trump's election has certainly empowered the bigots on the left.
You got us. We hate racists, nazis and bigots.
Yeah, and it at least felt like we were more "empowered" before last November, didn't it.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 08:59 AM   #64
TheL8Elvis
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
That's some awesome reporting...

But in one Washington County town, some say one fan’s response may have crossed the line.

Paul Smith, the chief of Cecil Volunteer Fire Station #2, posted a derogatory response on Facebook, which directed a racial slur at Steelers’ head coach Mike Tomlin.

In the post, Smith wrote: “Tomlin just added himself to the list of no good N*****s. Yes I said it.”

Really WTF MAY have crossed the line ?
Old 26th September 2017, 09:16 AM   #65
Imhotep
Muse

I don't know, I think the first step to progressing as a nation is to have everyone come out and just be honest about their attitudes and political beliefs. That sets the stage for great thinkers to come along and try to resolve the disparate and seemingly incompatible tenets of each side.
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 09:18 AM   #66
Imhotep
Muse

Also, it's interesting to find parallels between Trump and Caligula. Will Trump be followed up by a Claudius type figure?
Imhotep is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 09:18 AM   #67
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Imhotep View Post
Also, it's interesting to find parallels between Trump and Caligula.
I wonder if he'll name his hair senator.

Old 26th September 2017, 09:22 AM   #68
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
As the above quotes show, Trump certainly has emboldened some to cast off the veil. Whereas before they may have at least pretended to be impartial, now it's just full-on partisan false equivalency.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:25 AM   #69
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I did. You responded to Turtle's post about the topic, which is about how Trump emboldens racists.
I responded specifically to the point Turtle raised about people embracing white supremacy.

Quote:
At no point did you or him indicate that you were talking about anything else.
I indicated what I was talking about first by quoting it, and second by using the same terminology used in the quote in my reply to the quoted passage. What else would you have had me do to indicate what I was talking about?

Quote:
You wouldn't be trying to avoid admitting to making a mistake, would you?
I'm not sure what mistake I could possibly have made. Here's what Turtle said:
Sure the issue is how Trump has effected the beliefs and actions of the white supremacists. And has his rhetoric shifted people to embrace white supremacy who hadn't thought about it in the past.
Turtle talked about people embracing white supremacy due to Trump's rhetoric. I asked specifically about that. The only way I could be mistaken is if Turtle hadn't actually brought it up. But he did, so I'm not.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:28 AM   #70
Argumemnon
World Maker

I responded specifically to the point Turtle raised about people embracing white supremacy.
Every time I read "Turtle" now I see Mitch McConnell's face. I'd like to apologise to ponderingturtle for associating them!

Quote:
I indicated what I was talking about first by quoting it, and second by using the same terminology used in the quote in my reply to the quoted passage. What else would you have had me do to indicate what I was talking about?
You weren't talking about emboldening them, then? What do you mean? If you were, I was responding to that. If you weren't, then what?

Old 26th September 2017, 09:32 AM   #71
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/07/14/us...ent/index.html

I suppose this lady was just making this story up. Because the bigots, according to those on the right who should know, have not been emboldened by Trump. No. Not at all.
It's hard to take your concern seriously when all you bring is sarcasm. It gives the impression you don't even take it seriously yourself.

Anyway, your argument is both a non sequitur and contrafactual. And "those on the right" is a pretty weaselly phrasing. You were having a conversation with other members here. You don't need to appeal to an anonymous other group, "those on the right". You can actually address the claims and arguments made by the members involved in the conversation. Assuming any of them have actually said what you're claiming. So c'mon: Put aside the sarcasm and the elisions, and have at it.
Old 26th September 2017, 09:38 AM   #72
WilliamSeger
Master Poster

I don't know, I think the first step to progressing as a nation is to have everyone come out and just be honest about their attitudes and political beliefs. That sets the stage for great thinkers to come along and try to resolve the disparate and seemingly incompatible tenets of each side. Obviously the racism won't survive that process but it still needs to be represented on the way in.
I thought we went through that process in the 60s, but the backlash seems to have set the stage for a demagogue. Maybe it takes a few cycles.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 09:54 AM   #73
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know, I think the first step to progressing as a nation is to have everyone come out and just be honest about their attitudes and political beliefs. That sets the stage for great thinkers to come along and try to resolve the disparate and seemingly incompatible tenets of each side. Obviously the racism won't survive that process but it still needs to be represented on the way in.
That's kind of how I feel, too.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:10 AM   #74
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You weren't talking about emboldening them, then? What do you mean? If you were, I was responding to that. If you weren't, then what?
In this post, ponderingturtle says that Trump's rhetoric has shifted people to embrace white supremacy. I quoted the post. I even used the forum's built-in quote feature that provides a link back to the original so that no context is lost. I responded to the things said in that post, explicitly using the same terminology in my reply as used in the post I was replying to. Go back and re-read my posts, and let me know what I could possibly have done to make it any clearer what I was talking about.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:11 AM   #75
Imhotep
Muse

That's kind of how I feel, too.
Thanks. There was an article in Smithsonian that followed along these lines.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:13 AM   #76
Argumemnon
World Maker

In this post, ponderingturtle says that Trump's rhetoric has shifted people to embrace white supremacy. I quoted the post. I even used the forum's built-in quote feature that provides a link back to the original so that no context is lost. I responded to the things said in that post, explicitly using the same terminology in my reply as used in the post I was replying to. Go back and re-read my posts, and let me know what I could possibly have done to make it any clearer what I was talking about.
Could you answer my question directly and clearly, please?

Old 26th September 2017, 10:32 AM   #77
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Could you answer my question directly and clearly, please?
Jesus wept.

I don't know how to make it any clearer or more direct than that.

Honestly I would have thought that quoting the post and replying to it would have been more than enough. I've tried repeatedly to answer your question to the best of my ability. Now will you answer a question for me, "clearly and directly": How should I have replied to ponderingturtle's post in such a way that it was clear to you what I was responding to?

Last edited by theprestige; 26th September 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 26th September 2017, 10:37 AM   #78
phiwum
Philosopher

Great thinkers don't seem to be able to dissuade racists through argument. This is, of course, not intended to say that such arguments shouldn't be had necessarily, but that your prediction seems fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th September 2017, 10:56 AM   #79
Argumemnon
World Maker

Jesus wept.
Don't lose hope.

Quote:
I don't know how to make it any clearer or more direct than that.

Honestly I would have thought that quoting the post and replying to it would have been more than enough. I've tried repeatedly to answer your question to the best of my ability. Now will you answer a question for me, "clearly and directly": How should I have replied to ponderingturtle's post in such a way that it was clear to you what I was responding to?
Aaahhhh.... ok. Somehow reading it for the fourth time did the job this time.

Old 26th September 2017, 11:02 AM   #80
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Great thinkers don't seem to be able to dissuade racists through argument. This is, of course, not intended to say that such arguments shouldn't be had necessarily, but that your prediction seems fantastic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Yes.

Racism is emotional and not based on reason, so I can't see how that would help. People are not islands, they tend to absorb the attitudes around them, so if racists are feeling happy to be vocal about their vile views, then other people are likely to be influenced by them.

Making it so that people are ashamed to espouse racist views in public probably does work. The Kick Racism out of Football campaign probably did a lot for the UK, as it has mostly "denormalised" racism in one large public sphere.

When racists have to pretend that they "are not racist but..." then that is a start.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics