ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Iowa politics , racism charges , racism issues , republicans , Steve King , white nationalism , white nationalists

Old 13th November 2018, 09:39 AM   #281
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Side note, this thread and the one about antifa =/ democrats have something in common. Folks claiming the other side won't criticize and only defends their worst actors and using forum members as evidence. When if you look, you can pretty easily find reps/cons criticizing King and Dems/libs criticizing antifa.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 09:58 AM   #282
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ahhell View Post
Side note, this thread and the one about antifa =/ democrats have something in common. Folks claiming the other side won't criticize and only defends their worst actors and using forum members as evidence. When if you look, you can pretty easily find reps/cons criticizing King and Dems/libs criticizing antifa.
Really?

King has just been re-elected to Congress. No one from Antifa is ever even nominated.

What a silly equivalence.

The number of of reps who criticize King is a small minority. The numbers of dems who criticize antifa is, like, all of them who are not in the fringe group.

But keep telling yourself that both sides are equal....
Old 13th November 2018, 10:15 AM   #283
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Really?
I realize that ahhell's post was hard to parse, but I re-read it a number of times and found it largely correct. I don't believe that anything in that post says that "both sides are equal." I see ahhell lamenting that forum members often use the worst posters as evidence for the toxicity, while if we look, we we can find examples of critical self-examination on both sides of the political aisle. As they put it: "reps/cons" criticizing King, and "Dems/libs" criticizing antifa.

Maybe have another look, and tell me if I'm reading that wrong.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 10:21 AM   #284
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
I realize that ahhell's post was hard to parse, but I re-read it a number of times and found it largely correct. I don't believe that anything in that post says that "both sides are equal." I see ahhell lamenting that forum members often use the worst posters as evidence for the toxicity, while if we look, we we can find examples of critical self-examination on both sides of the political aisle. As they put it: "reps/cons" criticizing King, and "Dems/libs" criticizing antifa.
Of course antifa has been kind of branded as being something other than it was 2 years ago. Then it was peaceful counter protests and videotaping events like like white supremacist marches. But republicans prove just how much better they are at branding and politically correct language that no one will support this activity anymore.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 10:24 AM   #285
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Maybe have another look, and tell me if I'm reading that wrong.
No, it's a lame attempt at false equivalence.

Yes, there are reps who criticize King. Maybe 5% of them do it.
And yes, there are dems who criticize antifa. Like 99% of them.

Don't pretend this is anywhere similar, despite the technically true fact that "there are X who criticize Y" applies to both sides. So it's technically true. So what? It's total nonsense to suggest that you can find a person to criticize King, therefore, it's just like the dems and antifa.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:27 AM   #286
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course antifa has been kind of branded as being something other than it was 2 years ago. Then it was peaceful counter protests and videotaping events like like white supremacist marches. But republicans prove just how much better they are at branding and politically correct language that no one will support this activity anymore.
Yeah, this came up earlier. I would be very, very concerned if pretty much everyone participating here did not agree 95% with antifa. Considering that the foundation of antifa is to oppose naziism, that's a damn good position to hold.

I don't agree with all of it, for sure, but the premise is exactly correct. Or at least, I'd hope everyone can agree with it.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:30 AM   #287
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

No, it's a lame attempt at false equivalence.

Yes, there are reps who criticize King. Maybe 5% of them do it.
And yes, there are dems who criticize antifa. Like 99% of them.

Don't pretend this is anywhere similar, despite the technically true fact that "there are X who criticize Y" applies to both sides. So it's technically true. So what? It's total nonsense to suggest that you can find a person to criticize King, therefore, it's just like the dems and antifa.
Worse than that actually. Not one Dem has been identified as an Antifa supporter in the Dems=Antifa thread, unsubstantiated claims about Berkeley City Council members notwithstanding.
Old 13th November 2018, 10:33 AM   #288
carlitos
"más divertido"

I still think that my reading of that post is correct, but the branding point is a good and valid one. What's that thing - the Overton window? Am I a victim of the framing of this conversation?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 10:59 AM   #289
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I still think that my reading of that post is correct, but the branding point is a good and valid one. What's that thing - the Overton window? Am I a victim of the framing of this conversation?
You are too generous, to a fault.

But no, this is similar to the "all politicians lie" defense of Trump's lies. That it's true that all politicians lie to some respect, that doesn't mean that there is anything in common between what Trump is doing and other politicians.
Old 13th November 2018, 11:02 AM   #290
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Really?

King has just been re-elected to Congress. No one from Antifa is ever even nominated.
"In fairness the Republicans have found a place to put their extremists. Problem is that place is public office." - Bill Maher.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2018, 12:03 PM   #291
ahhell
Graduate Poster

Yeah, this came up earlier. I would be very, very concerned if pretty much everyone participating here did not agree 95% with antifa. Considering that the foundation of antifa is to oppose naziism, that's a damn good position to hold.

I don't agree with all of it, for sure, but the premise is exactly correct. Or at least, I'd hope everyone can agree with it.
I was not drawing a comparison of actors in the outside world, merely folks on this forum. Which I think is entirely accurate in this case. There are posters who make a habit of hasty generalizations regarding the opposition and they seem to use the more extreme members of this forum as their model for the other side.
ahhell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics