ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 30th October 2018, 03:37 PM   #241
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
The 88 was never used as indirect artillery though was it? They make that mistake is Saving Private Ryan, but I'm pretty sure it didn't start there. US soldiers commonly referred to all German artillery as "88's"; I know I've seen it in print and filmed documentaries.
Yeah, "88" was a common GI term for any German artillery piece.

In rough situations, apparently, there were attempts to use 88's for indirect fire, but with little success.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 30th October 2018 at 03:39 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 02:57 PM   #242
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If you are talking about a weapon where the Germans were ahead of the curve, it was the MG 34/42 . Easily the best LMG of the war. It was a Squad LMG with the firepower of the other countries Medium Machine Gun. Allied Troops gladly used it instead of their own LMG as long as ammo could be found for it. Eisenhower was so impressed with it after he saw a captured model in action that he serious advocated having it straight up copied for Allied Use. Even today, almost every Squad level LMG is based on the principals used for the MG 34/42.
BTW the two models functioned the same, the 42 was just a simplified for mass production with some of the frills the 34 had on left off.(they were seldom used anyway.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th November 2018, 06:38 PM   #243
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Problem with the MG42 was the stupidly high rate of fire.

I didn't have the firepower of a medium. Like all LMGs it was air cooled, this limited it's sustained fire rate. Like the Bren it camewith several barrels so they could be swapped to keep them cool.
Plus it had to go on a tripod to take on the medium role so you lost the advantages of the air cooling but still had the drawbacks for sustained fire use.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 05:13 AM   #244
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you are talking about a weapon where the Germans were ahead of the curve, it was the MG 34/42 . Easily the best LMG of the war. It was a Squad LMG with the firepower of the other countries Medium Machine Gun. Allied Troops gladly used it instead of their own LMG as long as ammo could be found for it. Eisenhower was so impressed with it after he saw a captured model in action that he serious advocated having it straight up copied for Allied Use. Even today, almost every Squad level LMG is based on the principals used for the MG 34/42.
BTW the two models functioned the same, the 42 was just a simplified for mass production with some of the frills the 34 had on left off.(they were seldom used anyway.
I'm a bit of Commonwealth nut, but I believe that the Bren was a better LMG than the 34/42. I haven't seen any evidence of Canadian troops using captured 34/42s such as pictures or written reports that such weapons were used for more than just emergencies (ie. using a just captured piece), unlike German parkas, or MP38/40s which had to be ordered withdrawn from use a few times.
Old 8th November 2018, 10:43 AM   #245
Klimax
NWO Cyborg 5960x (subversion VPUNPCKHQDQ)

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
I'm a bit of Commonwealth nut, but I believe that the Bren was a better LMG than the 34/42. I haven't seen any evidence of Canadian troops using captured 34/42s such as pictures or written reports that such weapons were used for more than just emergencies (ie. using a just captured piece), unlike German parkas, or MP38/40s which had to be ordered withdrawn from use a few times.
BREN was not British design... (BRno-ENfield)

Engine: Ibalgin 400
Klimax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 11:07 AM   #246
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

The MG-42, with a lower ROF, and chambered for 7.62 NATO is basically still in service. The FN-MAG, or M240 is US military terms. But the ROF was just too frickin high for infantry use. ETA: oh and it replaced the Bren and Lewis gun in the British Army lol.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 8th November 2018 at 11:09 AM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 11:54 AM   #247
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The MG-42, with a lower ROF, and chambered for 7.62 NATO is basically still in service. The FN-MAG, or M240 is US military terms. But the ROF was just too frickin high for infantry use. ETA: oh and it replaced the Bren and Lewis gun in the British Army lol.
Bren was issued up until 1992 and was replaced with the Enfield L86 LSW which in it's original form wasn't that good but the current versions are good.

Bren being magazine fed could be fired from the hand and on the move, ammunition was kept clean and was easier to carry as magazines could be distributed through a section and Magazines could be reloaded with loose ammunition in the field.

Vickers Guns were still the standard medium machine gun and could sustain almost indefinite fire unlike an air cooled gun.
When they were withdrawn from service in the 1960s some of them had fired more than a million rounds and were still reliable with little sign of wear on their mechanisms.

Lewis Gun was only used by Home Guard units and some small warships like Minesweepers as AA guns in WW2.

Vickers on 'Forgotten Weapons' (one of the best YouTube channels for old guns

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Bren at the range on 'Forgotten Weapons'

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

MG34 on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

MG42 at the range on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

Development of the 'Universal machine Gun' concept on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 8th November 2018 at 12:08 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 12:05 PM   #248
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Bren was issued up until 1992 and was replaced with the Enfield L86 LSW which in it's original form wasn't that good but the current versions are good..

Lewis Gun was only used by Home Guard units and some small warships like Minesweepers as AA guns in WW2.
I meant Vickers instead of Lewis

The L7A2 is still in service with British Army. The L7A1 saw service during the Falklands war (although I honestly don't know in what specific roles, or if the Bren was still the SAW), and the Argentines had their own version of it. Not to say the Bren was bad (I'd take it over a BAR), but if the basic design of the MG-42 wasn't better than the Bren then I guess a whole bunch of militaries adopted the wrong weapon.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th November 2018, 12:11 PM   #249
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

You are confusing different roles though, the L7A1 'General Purpose machine Gun' was a different weapon with a different role to the LMG (bren), as stated it was withdrawn when the L86 came in to service. a Bren was issued to each section of four men, the L7a1 was a platoon weapon.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:15 PM   #250
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Going to see "Overlord" tonight.
GI's fighting Nazi Zombies just looks like too much fun to pass up...

Robert Heinlein.
Old 9th November 2018, 12:24 PM   #251
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Bren was issued up until 1992 and was replaced with the Enfield L86 LSW which in it's original form wasn't that good but the current versions are good.

Bren being magazine fed could be fired from the hand and on the move, ammunition was kept clean and was easier to carry as magazines could be distributed through a section and Magazines could be reloaded with loose ammunition in the field.

Vickers Guns were still the standard medium machine gun and could sustain almost indefinite fire unlike an air cooled gun.
When they were withdrawn from service in the 1960s some of them had fired more than a million rounds and were still reliable with little sign of wear on their mechanisms.

Vickers on 'Forgotten Weapons' (one of the best YouTube channels for old guns

I AGREE

Bren at the range on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

MG34 on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

MG42 at the range on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

Development of the 'Universal machine Gun' concept on 'Forgotten Weapons'

I AGREE

Your last link was just the MG34 one again - I guess it was a typo
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending

Last edited by jimbob; 9th November 2018 at 12:30 PM.
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2018, 02:26 PM   #252
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Your last link was just the MG34 one again - I guess it was a typo
No it isn't the first MG 34 link was about the development of the gun and includes a strip down, the second one is shooting both at the range. 42 is from 2:40

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 9th November 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 11th November 2018, 12:07 PM   #253
catsmate
No longer the 1

I didn't have the firepower of a medium. Like all LMGs it was air cooled, this limited it's sustained fire rate. Like the Bren it camewith several barrels so they could be swapped to keep them cool.
Plus it had to go on a tripod to take on the medium role so you lost the advantages of the air cooling but still had the drawbacks for sustained fire use.
The rate-of-fire could be reduced to ~800rpm with the heavy bolt.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 12:08 PM   #254
catsmate
No longer the 1

I remember seeing a photo of one mounted on a Cromwell in place of the top Bren.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th November 2018, 12:53 PM   #255
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A Cromwell wouldn't have had a Bren on top. British tanks didn't have a mounting for a turret top gun at all. (There were some exceptions early in the war in the Desert where an AA fitting was added to some tanks)
Shermans got a .50 or .30 cal gun because they came as standard with them from the USA and had a mount for them.

Any gun you saw on a Cromwell would have been added by the crew.

But again, a gun fitted on top of a tank is a different thing to an LMG.

We seem to be getting confused as to the roles of different classes of machine gun.

We have already seen it suggested that the FN L7A2 replaced the Bren. It didn't it replaced the Vickers Medium.
Bren (or LMG as it was later designated) was replaced with the L86 when the SA80 came in to service.

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 11th November 2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11th November 2018, 02:08 PM   #256
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Not that a Bren wasn't part of the issued kit for a tank.
A Cromwell had a Bren and Thompsons issued as personal defence weapons.
They were stowed inside the tank with one of the Thompsons on the turret side and available to the commander or Radio Operator (the men with hatches).
Belt fed weapons aren't a good idea inside a tank and the MG34 /42 had 'snail magazines' available so they could be used in a Light Machine Gun Role where a belt of ammunition would be awkward.
Old 12th November 2018, 04:04 AM   #257
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

British tanks used 8mm mauser ammo in their besa machine guns so using a captured MG34 or 42 would be an option. Infantry would have a harder time keeping them fed.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 04:49 AM   #258
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Reactor drone View Post
British tanks used 8mm mauser ammo in their besa machine guns so using a captured MG34 or 42 would be an option. Infantry would have a harder time keeping them fed.
You think that the crew of a tank have the time to strip ammunition out of a Besa belt and try to reload a belt for a captured MG?
Old 12th November 2018, 12:37 PM   #259
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Technically it was the birth of the GPMG. And true medium and heavy machineguns are not fielded by anyone any more.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 12:38 PM   #260
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Of course those SMG's would be easier to feed than the MG42
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:02 PM   #261
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Technically it was the birth of the GPMG. And true medium and heavy machineguns are not fielded by anyone any more.
The M2 Browning was definitely a heavy machine gun from inception and is still used.

I'd agree about medium machineguns like the Maxim (or equivalents).
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 01:21 PM   #262
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Water cooled guns went out of favour when warfare became more mobile.

If I was setting up a defensive position and needed sustained fire over defined arcs then a Vickers would still be the best choice. It can shoot for as long as you can feed ammunition in to it without a break.
Old 12th November 2018, 03:00 PM   #263
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

If I was setting up a defensive position and needed sustained fire over defined arcs then a Vickers would still be the best choice. It can shoot for as long as you can feed ammunition in to it without a break.
Are there any modern situations like that? Maybe the DPRK might have some?

ETA: I am struggling to envision a situation where one side has the resources to attack such a fixed defence, and doesn't have the resources or will to attack such low-mobility strongpoints with some form of guided munition.

Last edited by jimbob; 12th November 2018 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12th November 2018, 04:16 PM   #264
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Of course those SMG's would be easier to feed than the MG42
With the Sten using the same mags? Yes, and they were a lot more reliable then the Sten as well.
Old 12th November 2018, 07:14 PM   #265
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I think that was supposed to be LMGs not SMGs?
Old 13th November 2018, 05:19 AM   #266
Border Reiver
Philosopher

I think that was supposed to be LMGs not SMGs?
I was responding to the idea that Allied troops used MG34/42s in other than an emergency. I've seen quite a bit in the Regimental war diaries about order coming down to stop using MP38/40s, but nothing about orders to stop using MG34/42s. (Also a couple of orders sent out in January and February 1945 to stop wearing German Parkas)

This tells me that the use of captured MG34/42s by Allied troops (at least in NW Europe by 1 Cdn Army) was not very common, but the use of captured SMGs was. When you consider that the Sten used the same magazine and ammunition as the MP38/40, and was a far more reliable weapon that makes sense. Using a captured MG34/42 makes less sense when you start realizing that the hassle of keeping it fed (and the other issues that may come from using captured equipment) is going to outweigh any increase you might find in capability over your own kit.
Old 13th November 2018, 05:29 AM   #267
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Sten Magazine is different to MP magazine but ammo was the same..
Forgotten Weapons has a couple of very good vids on the Sten and the development of the Stirling post war.
Old 13th November 2018, 05:31 AM   #268
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
The M2 Browning was definitely a heavy machine gun from inception and is still used.

I'd agree about medium machineguns like the Maxim (or equivalents).
That is because the definition of a heavy machine gun has changed. Maxim is the original heavy machine gun, because it was accurate and could fire as long as ammunition heald out and the tripods weighted as much as the gun.

the M2 is really the first of what we call heavy machine guns now but being air cooled never really could hold up to the kind of sustained fire of real ones.

In the context of WWII Maxim and vickers were heavy machine guns, if on the right mount.
Old 13th November 2018, 05:33 AM   #269
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Which is why the terminology has shifted with regards to heavy machine guns. Now they refer to the anti material machine guns.
Old 13th November 2018, 07:00 AM   #270
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

There were water jacketed .50 cals.
They were used as AA guns on ships and the US Army had a half track AA mount.
Old 13th November 2018, 01:03 PM   #271
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

There were water jacketed .50 cals.
They were used as AA guns on ships and the US Army had a half track AA mount.
M1917 Water cooled Browning .30 cals were in widespread use in the Pacific by US Marines at least early in the war. I know they were in use in Korea because I've heard stories of soldiers urinating in the reservoir as emergency anti-freeze.
Old 13th November 2018, 01:48 PM   #272
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

M1917 Water cooled Browning .30 cals were in widespread use in the Pacific by US Marines at least early in the war. I know they were in use in Korea because I've heard stories of soldiers urinating in the reservoir as emergency anti-freeze.
And that likely would be a very useful weapon against the human wave attacks used in that war.
Old 13th November 2018, 03:54 PM   #273
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

In a previous post the Besa machine gun used in British tanks in WW2 was mentioned.
There were usually two of them, one coaxial with the main gun and fired by the gunner the other in the hull front in a flexible mount with it's own gunner to fire it.
This latter gun could be dismounted and used with a tripod and shoulder stock if needed.
I haven't come across any pictures or examples of it actually being done though.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts