ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 12th November 2018, 06:10 PM   #321
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
My boss used to do a "TILT" at the end of the day (things I learned today). It didn't last long because he mostly learned that no one checked the channel in slack he was posting it in because the only thing going in there were his TILTs.

On a completely different note, we use LastPass as a company. It's ******* slick as hell when you're in my role. We do end to end tech support for something like 70 companies. I put the app on my phone, and I can page through every company at my finger tips. If you couple it with 2FA it gets rid of pretty much every security flaw as well. I was hesitant at first, but now I absolutely love it.
I believe you. Like I said, I use LastPass myself and I'd love to be able to have it on my work machine. But even if we did have it across the enterprise, there would be people who wouldn't use it because they have entirely the wrong idea about how IT security works.
Old 12th November 2018, 06:22 PM   #322
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I believe you. Like I said, I use LastPass myself and I'd love to be able to have it on my work machine. But even if we did have it across the enterprise, there would be people who wouldn't use it because they have entirely the wrong idea about how IT security works.
Truer words have not been spoken.

Yeah, doing it across an enterprise would be a nightmare. We have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50ish employees, 40 of them that probably regularly use LastPass, so it was an easy switch. We use it for almost everything too. Network infrastructure notes, domain creds, pretty much anything relevant.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2018, 06:28 PM   #323
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I dream of working in an environment like that.
Old 12th November 2018, 08:56 PM   #324
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I use KeePass because it appears to be utterly platform independent.

(i.e. same software on linux, windows, etc.)

I watch my team fumbling with passwords etc. every day, and I just can't persuade them to use it. Even though it is a supported app on our SOE.
Old 13th November 2018, 08:42 AM   #325
xterra
So far, so good...

Location: On the outskirts of Nowhere; the middle was too crowded
Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I use KeePass ....

I watch my team fumbling with passwords etc. every day, and I just can't persuade them to use it. Even though it is a supported app on our SOE.

I have the same problem with family and friends: Explain KeePass, set it up for them, add a couple of entries, show them the auto-type feature (which is usually but not always wonderful).

Then later find that they're still (a) ignoring KeePass and (b) complaining about having to remember sooo many passwords.
Old Yesterday, 07:31 AM   #326
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Dear Users.

Working for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Doing a job for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Our SLA with your company has a number of VIP clients; doctors and higher level executives, who pay more for faster service. That's literally what the SLA does.

You don't automatically get faster service you aren't paying for because you're "doing a job for a VIP."

Your company has a hierarchical structure. Everybody is doing their job for a VIP.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #327
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Dear Users.

Working for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Doing a job for a VIP does not make you a VIP.

Our SLA with your company has a number of VIP clients; doctors and higher level executives, who pay more for faster service. That's literally what the SLA does.

You don't automatically get faster service you aren't paying for because you're "doing a job for a VIP."

Your company has a hierarchical structure. Everybody is doing their job for a VIP.
Ha ha ha,
Too true, however people who work for Director, Assistant Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent, Superintendent or Executive Director are more VIP than others!
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM   #328
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Yup. We have people who are specifically marked for VIP service, and if you don't have the mark, I don't care who you are. We do jobs in the order in which they are received.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet