IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 22 34.38%
No 28 43.75%
I don't know 14 21.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27th January 2020, 12:42 PM   #401
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
This is well known since a long time that you and the other fellows writing on this post that you have no incentive to get rid of money
Correct. Money allowed me to discharge all of my debts in full, honestly.

OTOH, you want to dodge your debts dishonestly by not paying them.

How did I get enough money to rid myself of all debt? Hard work.

How do you want to get rid of your debt? No work at all.

Personally, I prefer to be honest.

Of course, now you are going to accuse me of being one of your mythical "1%".

Of course I am not. I still work. But now I can pick and chose how much I work. Naturally, I pick those jobs which interest or amuse me and which pay well. And reject those I don't like. There is a lot to be said for a stress free life. And when I retire? I likely never will. Not because I cannot, but because there are too many things that interest me.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 04:34 PM   #402
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
He has said, a few times, you will be required to work to participate in society. Of course, he will not define work or a time frame, and refuses the idea of a gatekeeper, or any accounting to define who is adding to society and who is taking from it.
No, he has said specifically and repeatedly there would be no obligation to work. While he has also expressed his expectation that other people would shame those that don't work. That can't be obligatory or it would be an obligation to do that work of shaming people. Also, as noted, not very effective since people willing to screw over their neighbors, by not working, aren't likely to be shamed by them, for not working. Just as one is likely to find a subculture where such behavior (perhaps even just against others) is socially acceptable. So a community of thieves, and den of drugs, an organization of pedophiles, outlaw groups and gangs. Even just today, generally socially unacceptable behavior is not only precisely acceptable but at times a deliberate and distinguishing aspect of certain social groups. Even, ironically, self proclaimed 1% groups.

Now, he has also expressed his expectation that people would just still work so that there would be free stuff for them to get. However, he has also expressed no obligation that anyone be compensated for any work that they do perform (no payment). So his 'society' has absolutely no obligations to those that do participate. Again the central theme still seems to be just Gaetan attempting to abandon his own obligations.
Old 27th January 2020, 04:56 PM   #403
Gaetan
Illuminator

All you've promise is to replace debt with a different kind of obligation.
Witch one?

Quote:
Also it leads to waste. Why should I try and get my iPhone fixed when I could simply take a new one, new model and all. Why would anyone want my busted ass phone when they could also just take a shiny new one. So what happens to my broken phone? It becomes part of the waste stream. It becomes pollution that you created in your system.

I'd prefer not to live in your polluted, indentured world. Hard pass.
In the actual society every good is a waste because it cost too much to make something that could be repair or recycle, if labor is free it cost nothing. And there won't be waste because people are more shy to take what is free of charge than to just pay for. If we don't abolish money you'll certainly live in a polluted world till every body dies, ask Trump.

Last edited by Gaetan; 27th January 2020 at 05:00 PM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 05:01 PM   #404
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

This is well known since a long time that you and the other fellows writing on this post that you have no incentive to get rid of money
It's well known that you're a religion of one and have no standing to instruct other people how to conduct their lives.

Anyone that cites the jesus-man as a source and as a justification in a discussion of economics and can't get that part of the fairy tale correct isn't worth much.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 05:12 PM   #405
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

In the actual society every good is a waste because it cost too much to make something that could be repair or recycle,
Repairing stuff is what I do for a living at a company that also recycles stuff. Additionally I repair my own stuff at home and we recycle at home. Once again your claim have no basis in reality and I again suggest that you go out and get some real world experience.

if labor is free it cost nothing.
Once again, among other things, using labor at least costs the ability to use that labor somewhere else, or for something else at the same time.

And there won't be waste because people are more shy to take what is free of charge than to just pay for.
Again, as already documented here, people already waste food that they do pay for. What the heck makes you think people would be "shy to take what is free of charge", particularly when these are the same people who you claim just want to be paid the most while paying their neighbor the least?

If we don't abolish money you'll certainly live in a polluted world till every body dies, ask Trump.
Abolishing money doesn't stop, or even potential hinder, pollution and everybody still dies even without any pollution.
Old 27th January 2020, 06:04 PM   #406
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Repairing stuff is what I do for a living at a company that also recycles stuff. Additionally I repair my own stuff at home and we recycle at home. Once again your claim have no basis in reality and I again suggest that you go out and get some real world experience.
I wasn't talking about one specific person but in a general sense.

Quote:
Once again, among other things, using labor at least costs the ability to use that labor somewhere else, or for something else at the same time.
I was talking about money charge

Quote:
Again, as already documented here, people already waste food that they do pay for.
But not what they don't pay for

Quote:
What the heck makes you think people would be "shy to take what is free of charge", particularly when these are the same people who you claim just want to be paid the most while paying their neighbor the least?
You are not shy to take what people offer you for free?

Quote:
]Abolishing money doesn't stop, or even potential hinder, pollution and everybody still dies even without any pollution.
Your leader made at least 16,000 proven lies according to the Washington post, do you really thing he care about coal mine workers but the money profit behind it?
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th January 2020, 06:22 PM   #407
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Your leader made at least 16,000 proven lies according to the Washington post, do you really thing he care about coal mine workers but the money profit behind it?
Your book of fairy tales codifies genocide, slavery and rape as law.

Jesus-man had blood on his hands before the nails got close to him.

BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 08:34 AM   #408
Leftus
Master Poster

Witch one?
You have more impositions than just the one where you force people to work?

Quote:
In the actual society every good is a waste because it cost too much to make something that could be repair or recycle, if labor is free it cost nothing. And there won't be waste because people are more shy to take what is free of charge than to just pay for. If we don't abolish money you'll certainly live in a polluted world till every body dies, ask Trump.
Once again, labor is not free. It costs time. No way around it.

The reason I bought a used 2008 Maserati, and not a new one, was because it was cheaper. If you take away money, I'd be driving a brand new 2020 Quattroporte until the 2021 model became available and then I'd be driving that. What would I do with my old ones? Nothing. They would rot.

When my 2010 Camaro broke down, I had it fixed. If the 2019 models were free, I'm not waiting to get it fixed, I'm taking the new one. They can keep the broken one. And when the 2020s became available, guess what they would get? Would I get the base 2.0 1LS (retail 25K)? Or the convertible ZL1 (retail 68k)?

Without price, there is no reason to not get all the bells and whistles. Do I really need a V8, 650 HP beast? Of course not. It's totally overkill for the 15ish miles to my office, which I report into 1 day a week. Would I want that? Absolutely. But I'm not paying the premium, so I'm not getting one. Without that premium, why wouldn't I?

This notion that people would be "too shy" to take more than what they need, look at yourself. You don't need a tesla. But you want one. And would you take the base model, or would you want the one fully built out? I think we know what you want.

Clearly, you've never worked with "the poors" when it comes to free stuff. Seriously, if you think CEOs are greedy, they have nothing when it comes to free goods and services. It's flat out human nature. This fantasy that people will automatically refrain from wasting resources because they are "free" is easily dispatched because we waste resources when they cost money. In fact, as supply decreases, people will horde, increasing the decrease in supply, causing more hording. Vicious circle.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 08:40 AM   #409
Leftus
Master Poster

Why would someone be more conservative with their resources, when replenishing them costs nothing, than when it costs something?

Tragedy of the Commons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th January 2020, 09:46 AM   #410
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I wasn't talking about one specific person but in a general sense.
I'm not the only person that makes a living repairing stuff nor is the stuff that I repair, or have repaired, the only stuff that is repairable. Thus your admonishment above is as detached from reality as your original claim. I again recommend you get some real word experience.

Same goes for recycling, "I wasn't talking about one specific person but in a general sense" there as well.

I was talking about money charge
Again, not all costs are monetary, you not talking about them, while at least apparently acknowledging their existence, simply means you are deliberately ignoring them. Why do you do that?

If they waste what they do pay for why wouldn't one also waste what they don't pay for?

You are not shy to take what people offer you for free?
No, certainly not "shy", though I expect you may be using a different and perhaps unique definition of "shy". Heck, as I've mentioned here before, I used to be a thief. That I might not be inclined to simply "take what people offer" me "for free" doesn't make me in any way shy about it. Also remember that this was in reference to your no money scenario. So taking stuff for free is, in that scenario, the only way you want people to take stuff. Thus people being shy about taking stuff for free is actually detrimental to the adequate functioning of that scenario.

What he thinks isn't germane to the lack of validity in your claims. He could be completely honest and detest money, while your claims would still remain demonstrably erroneous.
Old 28th January 2020, 09:52 AM   #411
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

...Polite snip....

Clearly, you've never worked with "the poors" when it comes to free stuff. Seriously, if you think CEOs are greedy, they have nothing when it comes to free goods and services. It's flat out human nature. This fantasy that people will automatically refrain from wasting resources because they are "free" is easily dispatched because we waste resources when they cost money. In fact, as supply decreases, people will horde, increasing the decrease in supply, causing more hording. Vicious circle.

Heck, just look at any black Friday sale. People are more than willing to abuse others and debase themselves just for a somewhat reduced price.
Old 29th January 2020, 05:43 PM   #412
Gaetan
Illuminator

Heck, just look at any black Friday sale. People are more than willing to abuse others and debase themselves just for a somewhat reduced price.
That's prove that people always want to pay their stuff 0.000%, then the right price of your work must be 0.000$ to be just, that what i always said.

Last edited by Gaetan; 29th January 2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 29th January 2020, 10:44 PM   #413
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

Reduced price does not mean free.

Why haven't you given abaddon all of your belongings?

Last edited by Little 10 Toes; 29th January 2020 at 10:45 PM.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th January 2020, 07:58 AM   #414
Leftus
Master Poster

That's prove that people always want to pay their stuff 0.000%, then the right price of your work must be 0.000$ to be just, that what i always said.
If black Friday stampedes are proof you are right about the price people want to pay, it also proves you are wrong about people limiting themselves to just what they need.
Old 30th January 2020, 08:13 AM   #415
Gaetan
Illuminator

If black Friday stampedes are proof you are right about the price people want to pay, it also proves you are wrong about people limiting themselves to just what they need.
You didn't prove that people will take more carrots than their body can assume and stuff people don't need.

Last edited by Gaetan; 30th January 2020 at 08:14 AM.
Old 30th January 2020, 08:25 AM   #416
Leftus
Master Poster

You didn't prove that people will take more carrots than their body can assume and stuff people don't need.
Do they need 40 inch TVs? Yet they will trample their fellow man to get them. You cite that as an example that people want stuff for free. But you ignore the inhumanity that it creates.

People may not take more carrots than their body can assume. Mostly because carrots are terrible. But if that was the only food source left, then, YES they would grab more than they need to make it to tomorrow. People hoard crap for dumber reasons.

Hell, they might take a few extra to replant. So they don't have to rely on an inconsistent supply.
Old 31st January 2020, 05:53 AM   #417
Gaetan
Illuminator

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' fortune grew by $13.5 billion in just 15 minutes on Thursday.
Bezos' windfall came after Amazon's stock price increased by 12% to $12,000 during trading Thursday in New York.
The bulk of Bezos' $116 billion fortune comes from his Amazon stock, with ventures such as Blue Origin and the Washington Post newspaper comprising the rest.
Thursday's stock surge came after a stellar quarter for Amazon, as it posted revenues of $87 billion for the fourth quarter of 2019 up from $72.4 billion in Q4 2018.

https://www.businessinsider.com/amaz...minutes-2020-1
Old 31st January 2020, 06:39 AM   #418
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

And?
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2020, 08:54 AM   #419
Leftus
Master Poster

Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos' fortune grew by $13.5 billion in just 15 minutes on Thursday.
Bezos' windfall came after Amazon's stock price increased by 12% to $12,000 during trading Thursday in New York.
The bulk of Bezos' $116 billion fortune comes from his Amazon stock, with ventures such as Blue Origin and the Washington Post newspaper comprising the rest.
Thursday's stock surge came after a stellar quarter for Amazon, as it posted revenues of $87 billion for the fourth quarter of 2019 up from $72.4 billion in Q4 2018.

In other words, Bezos is taking more carrots than he can consume. You've essentially debunked yourself.
Old 31st January 2020, 10:03 AM   #420
Gaetan
Illuminator

In other words, Bezos is taking more carrots than he can consume. You've essentially debunked yourself.
But he won't eat more carrots than he can. People who have money think that they have the right to live in luxury but it can't be in a world of no money because his neighbour will tell him, eh don't take more than you need or we do.

Last edited by Gaetan; 31st January 2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 31st January 2020, 10:28 AM   #421
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

But he won't eat more carrots than he can. People who have money think that they have the right to live in luxury but it can't be in a world of no money because his neighbour will tell him, eh don't take more than you need or we do.
Nice of you to confirm that you, the jesus-man and your one man religion would keep faith with the law of the lord - murder, rape and slavery.

Old 31st January 2020, 10:47 AM   #422
Leftus
Master Poster

Yes he will because Carrots are power. And he won't give two shakes as to what his neighbors say. He currently doesn't and plenty of people are telling him now he has too many carrots.

He may not eat any more carrots, but he will acquire more of them because of what they represent. He isn't eating any better today than he did last week. His life is fundamentally unchanged from last week to today. But he still took in more carrots.

It's not that they think they can live in luxury, it's that they have earned that ability. The question is, why do you think you should have the right to his carrots?
Old 1st February 2020, 08:34 AM   #423
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

No it isn't, learn some math. The lower bound of a set need not be, itself, a member of the set. Which means even if price approaches $0 it need not ever be $0.

Also as mentioned before just because some people, like you, may want to screw over their neighbors by paying them "0.000$" that doesn't mean all people want that. Your desired to pay your neighbors nothing and abandon your own oblations doesn't and can not reflect on everyone, even just by your own assertions. Remember that all people are not the same. That's another assertion you keep making but one you apparently just choose to ignore when it suits you. Again, no one can agree with you until you can at least agree with just yourself.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:36 AM   #424
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Again, the fact that they already take more than they need or even just use, and pay for it, proves that some will.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:48 AM   #425
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

That brings us back to the limitations on tribal living, as noted by your own citation, population size. In a population like a small city you can't know all your neighbors. So you don't know who that person is or whether they are taking more carrots for themselves or are taking them to help other neighbors you similarly don't know. I again recommend that you actually read your own citations.

Second you've already established your precept that said person is currently willing to pay his neighbors "0.000$", so why should letting them have 0 carrots be any different? Why would they care what some neighbors, whom by your own assertion they are looking to screw over, say about being screwed over? Again, no one can agree with you until you can at least agree with just yourself.
Old 1st February 2020, 08:50 AM   #426
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

It's cute how you think that means money in Bezos' pocket.

Hint: It doesn't.

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2020, 11:30 AM   #427
Gaetan
Illuminator

No it isn't, learn some math. The lower bound of a set need not be, itself, a member of the set. Which means even if price approaches $0 it need not ever be $0.

Also as mentioned before just because some people, like you, may want to screw over their neighbors by paying them "0.000$" that doesn't mean all people want that. Your desired to pay your neighbors nothing and abandon your own oblations doesn't and can not reflect on everyone, even just by your own assertions. Remember that all people are not the same. That's another assertion you keep making but one you apparently just choose to ignore when it suits you. Again, no one can agree with you until you can at least agree with just yourself.
People are not the same but there are common points, we don't want to pay stuff, we don't want to be hurt, we don't want to go in prison.
Old 1st February 2020, 12:24 PM   #428
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

People are not the same but there are common points, we don't want to pay stuff, we don't want to be hurt, we don't want to go in prison.
Do you think advocating illegal actions might cause one to go to prison?

Old 1st February 2020, 03:18 PM   #429
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Sure some "don't want to pay stuff", often called thieves. I've known more honest people than I've known thieves, even when I was a thief. Some people do "want to be hurt", they're called masochists. I've know some of them as well. However, much like most people don't have a problem paying for stuff, most people aren't masochists. Lastly institutionalized and outlaw people don't have a problem with going to prison. It's basically an expectation at some time or other. I know some of them as well and again just as most people don't mind paying for stuff and don't like being hurt, similarly most would mind going to prison. Again I recommend you get some real world experience.

So to summarize most people aren't thieves, so they are more than willing to pay for stuff. Unlike you, as well see that their neighbor get a fair pay, also unlike you. Most people aren't masochists and don't derive gratification from being hurt. Most people aren't institutionalized or outlaws, so would mind going to prison.

Again you simply portray your own desire to rip people off as being some "common points". While evidently simply ignoring that same "common points" you have asserted when it comes to how much people would take when stuff is "free".

Last edited by The Man; 1st February 2020 at 03:23 PM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 08:36 AM   #430
Gaetan
Illuminator

Sure some "don't want to pay stuff", often called thieves.
This is not thieves when you don't ask to be paid for your own stuff you made, this is justice. What is thieves is to ask to be paid the max when you want to pay the minimum.

Last edited by Gaetan; 2nd February 2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:00 AM   #431
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

This is not thieves when you don't ask to be paid for your own stuff you made, this is justice.
People most often do ask to be paid for the stuff they made. So you simply not wanting to pay them only makes you unjust.

You simply accepting something for free from someone doesn't make the situation "just". That doesn't happen until you give something freely to restore balance in the system. So again it is not the system (of money or of no money) that is inherently just or unjust, but simply the people who act within it.

What is thieves is to ask to be paid the max when you want to pay the minimum.
Great, since you're the only one here, or that I have ever known, to claim to want that, that just makes you a thief by your very own assertions.

Why do you want to be a thief and unjust?
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:36 AM   #432
Gaetan
Illuminator

People most often do ask to be paid for the stuff they made. So you simply not wanting to pay them only makes you unjust.
True because i am just a normal person and you do and everybody else the same but i want to change this unjust system but you are confortable with it.
Old 2nd February 2020, 09:47 AM   #433
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

True because i am just a normal person and you do and everybody else the same but i want to change this unjust system but you are confortable with it.

No, I'm not the same as you, as most here have told you that they aren't the same as you either. Again the system isn't unjust itself just you are by how you act within the system, now simply by your own assertions. Not wanting to make things worse certainly doesn't make anyone "confortable" with your injustice.

As usual your reply doesn't actually address any of the questions asked. So again, why do you want to be unjust?

ETA:

You do understand that you can still want to change the system while acting justly within it, right?

Last edited by The Man; 2nd February 2020 at 09:55 AM.
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:41 AM   #434
Gaetan
Illuminator

No, I'm not the same as you
Yes the difference is that you are a liar and i say the true.
Old 2nd February 2020, 10:50 AM   #435
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Yes the difference is that you are a liar and i say the true.
Nope, not a liar, which of course means that you don't "say the true". So again, why do you want to be unjust?

You do understand that you can still want to change the system while acting justly within it, don't you?
Old 2nd February 2020, 12:02 PM   #436
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Nope. You merely want to freeload your way through life. I prefer to earn my way by working for it honestly. You prefer theft.

Old 3rd February 2020, 08:12 AM   #437
Leftus
Master Poster

No, the problem is that you think all work is equal. It is not. I'm listening to Megadeth right now, so let's use Dave Mustaine as the example. People will willing give up a good number of their carrots to listen to him play. I'm nowhere as skilled as Dave. Hell, I'm not even trying. But under your theory I should get as many carrots as he does for being worse at music by any metric.

Why? Shouldn't the time he spent improving his craft be rewarded over some nobody coming in, swiping his music, and butchering it?

Who should be forced to listen to me sing and destroy guitar strings?

As it has been recently stated, you don't want to have to expend effort, just have everything be given to you. The world can't work that way.
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:21 AM   #438
Belz...
Fiend God

When we'll abolish money don't you thing you'll be free of debts toward richer and get back to freedom again
Money GIVES me freedom. Without money I'd have to do everything myself without any means to ask people to do it for me, freeing me up to do what I actually want to do.

No one is going to abolish money. Give up your dream.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:24 AM   #439
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

It's been several years now I can't help but notice that Gatean hasn't sent me his evil money yet.

I'm willing to take this burden off of you Gatean, I will absolve you of the weight and the burden. I'm willing to do that.

Please, send me your money. It's the only way to save your soul.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:34 AM   #440
Leftus
Master Poster

This is not thieves when you don't ask to be paid for your own stuff you made, this is justice. What is thieves is to ask to be paid the max when you want to pay the minimum.
So can we just hang up the signs that state "Arbeit macht frei" now, or are we going to wait?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance