IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Are you willing to work for free if the goods and services are free?
Yes 22 34.38%
No 28 43.75%
I don't know 14 21.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3rd February 2020, 08:38 AM   #441
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Leftus View Post
So can we just hang up the signs that state "Arbeit macht frei" now, or are we going to wait?
Praxagora: I want all to have a share of everything and all property to be in common; there will no longer be either rich or poor. I shall begin by making land, money, everything that is private property, common to all.

Blepyrus: But who will till the soil?

Praxagora: The slaves.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:39 AM   #442
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

So can we just hang up the signs that state "Arbeit macht frei" now, or are we going to wait?
There is that creepy feel to all of this.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:39 AM   #443
Gaetan
Illuminator

No, the problem is that you think all work is equal.
Who is judge of what is being equal or not? To try to find out depends of every people and is too hard, what you don't like to do is hard and what you like is easy. In a world of no money you'll just do what you like because you aren't forced to work because everything is free of charge.

Last edited by Gaetan; 3rd February 2020 at 08:57 AM.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:14 AM   #444
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gaetan View Post
Who is judge of what is being equal or not?
You think you should be taht judge. Nobody cares what you think.

Or you you think jebus should be the judge even though nobody can demonstrate he ever existed in the first place.

To try to find out depends of every people and is too hard,
Nope. Got any evidence that there even was some jebus? Of course not.

what you don't like to do is hard and what you like is easy.
And another lie. I relish a challenge and seek not an easy life. You are merely telling us how you desire to freeload. And nobody is buying the BS.

In a world of no money you'll just do what you like because you aren't forced to work because everything is free of charge.
But you just told us that EVERYONE will be forced labourers. It might help if you could even decide what your claim is. So far all of your various claims have been demonstrated to be wrong. Have you any claim that is right?

abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:38 AM   #445
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

People.

Who is the judge now of "what is being equal or not", people.

Who would be the judge of "what is being equal or not" in your no money world, people.

Who was it you claimed should berate the person for taking what they thought was too many carrots, people.

Are you starting to see the trend here?

To try to find out depends of every people and is too hard,
No it doesn't and no it isn't. It doesn't need to involve "every people" for every instance. To use the Leftus Megadeth example not "every people" is going to care how good or bad someone plays Megadeth's music.

Finally, it ain't that hard at all, the current system does it without anyone hardly noticing. That you think such a thing is just "too hard" just shows how inadequate even you feel your own no money world would be.

what you don't like to do is hard and what you like is easy.
Absolutely wrong, many people like hard challenging work or tasks. Again I recommend you get some real world experience and stop simply peddling your own perceptions as some kind of universal traits.

In a world of no money you'll just do what you like because you aren't forced to work because everything is free of charge.
And back once again to you simply and deliberately ignoring non-monetary costs.

Why do you simply want to ignore non-monetary costs?

Why do you want to be unjust?

Last edited by The Man; 3rd February 2020 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
The Man is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:40 AM   #446
Leftus
Master Poster

Who is judge of what is being equal or not? To try to find out depends of every people and is too hard, what you don't like to do is hard and what you like is easy. In a world of no money you'll just do what you like because you aren't forced to work because everything is free of charge.
Right now, the market does that. Please refer to the example given. Dave Mustaine makes far more carrots than I could ever trying to do the same task. I know I don't have his musical ability. Even if I were to try, and put in the work to master the craft, to the best of my abilities, I couldn't do what he does.

Let's even use a more basic skill, carpentry. I am absolutely horrible at that. I can buy the best tools, but still, I know things should be square, and try to make them square, but rarely does it work out that way. Hell, I'd rather pay some craftsman to come in and do it for me than even attempt it. Right now, I'm considering removing the carpet from my home and putting in some tile. I know I could do that mostly myself. But I also know it would look horrible. It's worth it to me to hire someone to do it right.

Let's use that as an example, shall we. You can bring me in to do at best a half assed job or, for the same price, bring in a pro who will not only do it right, but in half the time. Who do you choose?

Why should I get paid the same as a competent professional when my end product isn't half as good?

So are we hanging up our "Arbeit macht frei" signs now and dispose of any idea of fairness or justice?
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:58 AM   #447
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Not you.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:59 AM   #448
Belz...
Fiend God

Who is judge of what is being equal or not? To try to find out depends of every people and is too hard, what you don't like to do is hard and what you like is easy.
Actually, there's an easy way, and fortunately every civilisation and tribe on Earth has managed to find and use it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 10:56 AM   #449
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Not you.
When i said ''Who is judge'' i meant that no one could be.
Gaetan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 11:27 AM   #450
Belz...
Fiend God

Ridiculous. Since fairness is a human concept, obviously humans, individually or collectively, can judge what is fair.

Stay in school.

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:23 PM   #451
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Yes the difference is that you are a liar and i say the true.
You believe in a book of lies that endorses rape, genocide and slavery.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:34 PM   #452
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Ah. We have already been down that particular rabbit hole with Gaetan. Turns out he picks the parts that suit his flavour of crackpottery. Quelle surprise.

Oh, and it turns out that while I and sundry others have actually read the bible end to end, clearly, Gaetan has not. Shock and horror. Magic book proponent has not read magic book.

Surely that never happened before?

Old 3rd February 2020, 12:35 PM   #453
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
Yep.

As always for any newcomers I feel the need to remind everyone that Gataen, by his own admission, has no actual economic goal in mind here. He's just straight up proselytizing but the PTB won't let him do that in the Economic subforum so... this is what you get.

He thinks the baby Jeebus said the money is evil and everything he's said a very, very poor after the fact excuse for that.

We are dealing with someone who is not allowed to say what he's actually saying.
Old 3rd February 2020, 12:38 PM   #454
Belz...
Fiend God

Gataen
Gaetan. It's a French name. Not sure where from, in his case, assuming it's his real name.

He thinks the baby Jeebus said the money is evil and everything he's said a very, very poor after the fact excuse for that.
Seems to have forgotten the whole "give unto Caesar" bit.

Old 3rd February 2020, 01:36 PM   #455
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Ridiculous. Since fairness is a human concept, obviously humans, individually or collectively, can judge what is fair.

Stay in school.
Like the senators who judged Trump, it is certainly a good exemple of what is your justice.

Last edited by Gaetan; 3rd February 2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:22 PM   #456
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Not even you?

Old 3rd February 2020, 02:27 PM   #457
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've learned that with the holier then though types "Judge not lest ye be judged" either:

A) Doesn't apply to them
B) Doesn't apply to their ability to judge whether or not you should judge other people.
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:47 PM   #458
Leftus
Master Poster

Like the senators who judged Trump, it is certainly a good exemple of what is your justice.
It's a political process, not a judicial one. It's a good example of the political system certainly.

You are still ignoring your claims that nobody can judge what someone should be paid, despite doing exactly that.
Leftus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:52 PM   #459
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Besides he can sit on high and "not judge" all he wants, after several years and multiple threads he's never gotten beyond "We get rid of all money... somehow and then everything works out, everyone has enough of everything, all necessary work gets down with no payment, and it all evens out in the end because magic *cough* because Jesus said so even though I'm not allowed to say that in this subforum *cough*"
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:56 PM   #460
Gaetan
Illuminator

It's a political process, not a judicial one. It's a good example of the political system certainly.

You are still ignoring your claims that nobody can judge what someone should be paid, despite doing exactly that.
Trump administration named thousands of judges including supreme court.
Old 3rd February 2020, 02:59 PM   #461
Leftus
Master Poster

Yes. It goes with the job. But you were talking about the Senators and this is just more dishonesty.
Old 3rd February 2020, 03:13 PM   #462
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

I've learned that with the holier then though types "Judge not lest ye be judged" either:

A) Doesn't apply to them
B) Doesn't apply to their ability to judge whether or not you should judge other people.
And that is the weirdness. Gaetan declaims that nobody can be a judge, yet promptly appoints himself as the sole judge of anything.

Even more odd, somehow he pretends to be unaware of the despotism he promotes in spite of the fact that everyone can see that he seeks a tinpot dictatorship.

Never going to happen, of course, still an amusing self contradictory conceit. I have lost track of which flavour of deity is de jour, but at this point it might as well be Qouetxalcoatl.

Old 3rd February 2020, 04:33 PM   #463
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Wait, are you passing some judgment on the fairness of that "justice"?

Are you likewise passing some judgment on the fairness of that process as well?
Old 3rd February 2020, 08:08 PM   #464
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Man View Post
Wait, are you passing some judgment on the fairness of that "justice"?

Are you likewise passing some judgment on the fairness of that process as well?
yes
Old 3rd February 2020, 09:31 PM   #465
Little 10 Toes
Master Poster

If you spent the same amount of time on U.S. politics that you do on economic theory ..... Wait, you do.

Two. Trump nominated two Supreme Court Justices. The Senate confirms the nomination.
Little 10 Toes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2020, 04:03 PM   #466
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

yes
So this...

Was a lie?
Old 4th February 2020, 05:01 PM   #467
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

What are those? They don't exist in my country.

Old 4th February 2020, 06:12 PM   #468
Gaetan
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
What are those? They don't exist in my country.
Any judge from anywhere can't be just unless he says to his victim: ''You are free of charge''

Last edited by Gaetan; 4th February 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 5th February 2020, 09:37 AM   #469
Leftus
Master Poster

Any judge from anywhere can't be just unless he says to his victim: ''You are free of charge''
Huh? Judges don't judge victims. They judge perpetrators. Or litigants.

Or are we using custom definitions for words again?
Old 7th February 2020, 11:23 PM   #470
Gaetan
Illuminator

If you fellows would realise it but money custom has you forgot to do, you would pay the maximum price for the work of your neighbour and ask to be paid the minimum for your work and that' the way good people should do, but we do the opposite to try to take advantage of people. There would be no rich or poor. Then the custom of money makes of you an unjust criminal and we have to stop it.
Old 8th February 2020, 10:51 AM   #471
Leftus
Master Poster

If you fellows would realise it but money custom has you forgot to do, you would pay the maximum price for the work of your neighbour and ask to be paid the minimum for your work and that' the way good people should do, but we do the opposite to try to take advantage of people. There would be no rich or poor. Then the custom of money makes of you an unjust criminal and we have to stop it.
Someone demanding free work and products has no basis to think someone else is taking advantage of anyone.
Old 8th February 2020, 02:52 PM   #472
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Judges don't have "victims". Judges apply law as written in the body of their countries body of laws.

With the exception of corrupt countries where everything has failed. Personally, I don't live in a corrupt failed state where the courts and justice have lost all value.

But let us consider that notion for a moment. Were I to live in a biblical state, where the rule of law was based on your magic book, what would be the consequences? Mob justice would be allowed, because the bible says so. Killing one's children would be justified, because the bible says so. Human sacrifice would be allowed at randon, because the bible tells us that god likes it. Slavery would be OK, because the bible says so. It even provides rules for how to do it.

A biblical justice system would, by definition, be a ghastly nightmare for all, particularly the vulnerable.

Somehow, that dystopian nightmare is what you seek. This is odd, because you promote heresies which would have you executed under such a system.

Old 9th February 2020, 04:41 AM   #473
Gaetan
Illuminator

Experts say that to put people in prison fail to make of a guy a better person and rehabilitate him. Revenge is to apply the law of devil. Forgiveness is to apply the law of God, but the God you imagine is not the same as mine.
Old 9th February 2020, 08:26 AM   #474
Leftus
Master Poster

Experts say that to put people in prison fail to make of a guy a better person and rehabilitate him. Revenge is to apply the law of devil. Forgiveness is to apply the law of God, but the God you imagine is not the same as mine.
What does these lies have to do with the lies you've been asserting about judges having victims? Or Money?
Old 9th February 2020, 08:53 AM   #475
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

Great, so have you said to the "Trump administration" or "the senators who judged Trump" ''You are free of charge''? If not then your judgements of them are, just by your own standard, unjust.

Since your statements about them appear to be rebukes and not exoneration (''You are free of charge"). Then your assertions are simply unjust, just by your own standard.

Again, why do you want to be unjust?
Old 9th February 2020, 08:55 AM   #476
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

So have you forgiven people who use money or the 1% you rail against?

By all means, please, let us know when that happens.
Old 9th February 2020, 09:04 AM   #477
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

If you fellows would realise it but money custom has you forgot to do, you would pay the maximum price for the work of your neighbour and ask to be paid the minimum for your work and that' the way good people should do,
No that's simply as unjust as your claim of wanting it the other way around.

Why do you want to be unjust, either way around?

but we do the opposite to try to take advantage of people.
No you want to take advantage of people, as I'm sure others do but some don't.

Why do you want to be unjust, by taking advantage of people?

There would be no rich or poor. Then the custom of money makes of you an unjust criminal and we have to stop it.
"the custom of money" didn't make you unjust, you simply choose to be that way. Similarly, as noted before it isn't, a system of money or no money that makes people just or unjust, but simply their actions within those system.

Why do you choose to be unjust?
Old 9th February 2020, 09:38 AM   #478
Gaetan
Illuminator

Great, so have you said to the "Trump administration" or "the senators who judged Trump" ''You are free of charge''? If not then your judgements of them are, just by your own standard, unjust.

Since your statements about them appear to be rebukes and not exoneration (''You are free of charge"). Then your assertions are simply unjust, just by your own standard.

Again, why do you want to be unjust?
I didn't mean to put Trump in prison for his crimes but to remove him from duties.
Old 9th February 2020, 10:18 AM   #479
The Man
Unbanned zombie poster

I didn't mean to put Trump in prison for his crimes but to remove him from duties.
Either way, you clearly don't what him to be free of your charges. Not all crime results in prison but just in some form of consequences. Likewise, you want there to be some consequences for Trump based on your judgement of his actions. ''You are free of charge'' would mean you are free of the consequences associated to those charges, whether they be prison or not.

So again, unless you say Trump should be free of the charges of your own judgment (which you lied about, that no one could be judge) you are being unjust, just by your own standard.

Why do you simply want to be unjust?
Old 9th February 2020, 09:33 PM   #480
Gaetan
Illuminator

Either way, you clearly don't what him to be free of your charges. Not all crime results in prison but just in some form of consequences. Likewise, you want there to be some consequences for Trump based on your judgement of his actions. ''You are free of charge'' would mean you are free of the consequences associated to those charges, whether they be prison or not.

So again, unless you say Trump should be free of the charges of your own judgment (which you lied about, that no one could be judge) you are being unjust, just by your own standard.

Why do you simply want to be unjust?
If you don't stop a criminal he may continue to make crimes all his life. I don't mean to put him in prison but to say: Hey, do you realise what you are doing? I don't think it is a punishment to relieve him from duties, it is even good for him , he could play golf all day, and you'll save a lot of people.

Last edited by Gaetan; 9th February 2020 at 09:37 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Economics, Business and Finance