IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Cathy O'Brien , david icke , reptilians

Old 23rd March 2010, 11:25 PM   #1
Marshmallow
Thinker

The Emerald Tablets of Thoth

Has anyone heard of these tablets? People claim that they exist, but they don't give any physical evidence. All we have are these "translations".

These tablets are supposedly very ancient. They speak of things commonly known as New Age before the New Age movement even existed.

They speak of Serpent-headed beings disguised as humans secretly ruling the humans. They speak of this before Cathy O'Brien or David Icke (the people who are at the head of the reptilian conspiracy theories) were even born (The first English translsation was apparently in 1925), and yet it doesn't seem likely that Icke or O'Brien based their own writings on these translations because these texts are not very well known (they don't even have a Wikipedia page lol) and from what I've seen of both their writings, they don't seem to have mentioned these texts.

Also, the author of these supposed tablets claims that there is a spaceship under the Great Pyramid and apparently it has been discovered that there is a tunnel under the Great Pyramid.

I have lots of reasons to be skeptical, but I'm still really curious about this stuff.

Here is an excerpt about the Serpent people:

Quote:
In ages past were they conquered by Masters,
driven below to the place whence they came.
But some there were who remained,
hidden in spaces and planes unknown to man.
Lived they in Atlantis as shadows,
but at times they appeared among men.
Aye, when the blood was offered,
for they came they to dwell among men.

In the form of man they amongst us,
but only to sight were they as are men.
Serpent-headed when the glamour was lifted
but appearing to man as men among men.
Crept they into the Councils,
taking forms that were like unto men.
Slaying by their arts
the chiefs of the kingdoms,
taking their form and ruling o'er man.
Only by magic could they be discovered.
Only by sound could their faces be seen.
Sought they from the Kingdom of shadows
to destroy man and rule in his place.

But, know ye, the Masters were mighty in magic,
able to lift the Veil from the face of the serpent,
able to send him back to his place.
Came they to man and taught him the secret,
the WORD that only a man can pronounce.
Swift then they lifted the Veil from the serpent
and cast him forth from the place among men.

Yet, beware, the serpent still liveth
in a place that is open at times to the world.
Unseen they walk among thee
in places where the rites have been said.
Again as time passes onward
shall they take the semblance of men.

Called may they be by the master
who knows the white or the black,
but only the white master may control
and bind them while in the flesh.
Here is a link to a site with the full text of all of the tablets:

http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html

Last edited by Marshmallow; 23rd March 2010 at 11:32 PM.
Marshmallow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:36 PM   #2
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I tried them, but still didn't get an erection.
Or were those the blue tablets of Pfizer?
I get confused a lot as I get older.

I don't, however, get this confused. http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html
Total hooey from start to finish.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Trent Wray

Ah, dipping into the root of Hermeticism and the secrets of alchemy I see. Hermes Trismegistus is the supposed author ---- a legendary figure who was supposedly a combination of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth. Thousands of ancient writings are attributed to him from something like 8000 years ago, although these "ancient" writings were most likely written by various early Greeks from Plato's time, amongst others IIRC. Googling some of these references should shed light on things I would think.

If you believe in the Greek and Egyptian gods and alchemical magic, you found the good stuff. I believe Edgar Cayce was on speaking terms with Hermes/Thoth

I've personally enjoyed watching Marduk reply to these sorts of things. I will sit back and wait with hope for my prize

ETA: I noticed you keep mentioning Icke, btw. Do you take Icke seriously? There is a correct answer to that question, unfortunately. Even I will admit to that ...

Last edited by Trent Wray; 24th March 2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: eta
Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Marshmallow
Thinker

Originally Posted by Soapy Sam View Post
I tried them, but still didn't get an erection.
Or were those the blue tablets of Pfizer?
I get confused a lot as I get older.
LOL

Quote:
I don't, however, get this confused. http://www.crystalinks.com/emerald.html
Total hooey from start to finish.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing (or even agreeing), but I think it's interesting that David Icke's claims may go further back than we thought - reptile beings disguised as humans ruling over the human race - and a few fairly strange coincidences in other "chapters". But I also realize that coincidences happen all the time and that sometimes we do see smoke without fire.

Also, doesn't Icke say that his reptilians are interdimensional?
Quote:
But some there were who remained,
hidden in spaces and planes unknown to man.
That could be interpreted to mean that they reside in another dimension, I suppose.

Quote:
Ah, dipping into the root of Hermeticism and the secrets of alchemy I see. Hermes Trismegistus is the supposed author ---- a legendary figure who was supposedly a combination of the Greek god Hermes and the Egyptian god Thoth. Thousands of ancient writings are attributed to him from something like 8000 years ago, although these "ancient" writings were most likely written by various early Greeks from Plato's time, amongst others IIRC.

If you believe in the Greek and Egyptian gods and alchemical magic, you found the good stuff. I believe Edgar Cayce was on speaking terms with Hermes/Thoth

I've personally enjoyed watching Marduk reply to these sorts of things. I will sit back and wait with hope for my prize
I'm not claiming that I necessarily believe all of this. I'm definitely not claiming I believe this stuff was written by an ancient Atlantean or that alchemy is possible. But I remember reading that some spiritual teachers (or was it alchemists?) used to write their work claiming to be deities as it would make their work seem more valuable or important to those who read it.

Anyway, I wonder how likely it is that the reptilian conspiracy-believers read this stuff before writing their books. It's very similar to what they are saying.

ETA: I have come to the conclusion that Icke is definitely mentally ill and doesn't see reality the way most people do. Still, I want to know why this same story keeps coming up over and over. I wonder where it comes from and why it's always reptiles.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 24th March 2010 at 12:17 AM.
Marshmallow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Trent Wray

Originally Posted by Marshmallow View Post
Anyway, I wonder how likely it is that the reptilian conspiracy-believers read this stuff before writing their books. It's very similar to what they are saying.
Without having read the "original" myself, I would not doubt that translations are liberal and mixed to suit various beliefs.

But let me ask you if you are a reptilian conspiracy believer? If so, why are you?
Trent Wray is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

LOL

I'm not necessarily disagreeing (or even agreeing), but I think it's interesting that David Icke's claims may go further back than we thought - reptile beings disguised as humans ruling over the human race - and a few fairly strange coincidences in other "chapters". But I also realize that coincidences happen all the time and that sometimes we do see smoke without fire.

That could be interpreted to mean that they reside in another dimension, I suppose.

I'm not claiming that I necessarily believe all of this. I'm definitely not claiming I believe this stuff was written by an ancient Atlantean or that alchemy is possible. But I remember reading that some spiritual teachers (or was it alchemists?) used to write their work claiming to be deities as it would make their work seem more valuable or important to those who read it.

I had always assumed that Icke got all his ideas from Science Fiction TV shows like "V" (The original 70s one), Star Trek and Battlestar Gallactica.

Maybe we should be asking where the TV Producers got their ideas... I can imagine NBC execs wearing robes and chanting around a cauldren invoking ancient Hermes to determine their Fall Schedule. But maybe that's just me...
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Marshmallow
Thinker

Originally Posted by trentwray View Post
Without having read the "original" myself, I would not doubt that translations are liberal and mixed to suit various beliefs.

But let me ask you if you are a reptilian conspiracy believer? If so, why are you?
That makes sense.

I am not a reptilian conspiracy believer, but I have an irrational fear of such things turning out to be true. Even when the rational parts of mind argue that it's bullcrap, the irrational part is screaming, "What if it's true? What if it's true?" It's like how some people are afraid to be alone in the dark after watching a scary movie, even thought they don't really believe they'll be attacked by fictional movie monsters. However, this fear holds more power over me because there are many people actually claiming this stuff to be true (whether it is or not). So, let's just say I go the extra mile to try and debunk these things. Basically, I'm the official scaredy cat of the JREF forums.

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I had always assumed that Icke got all his ideas from Science Fiction TV shows like "V" (The original 70s one), Star Trek and Battlestar Gallactica.

Maybe we should be asking where the TV Producers got their ideas... I can imagine NBC execs wearing robes and chanting around a cauldren invoking ancient Hermes to determine their Fall Schedule. But maybe that's just me...
I've never watched any of those shows (except for parts of Star Trek here and there), so you could be right.

Lol thanks a lot for that mental image.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 24th March 2010 at 12:28 AM.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:33 AM   #8
Trent Wray

That makes sense.

I am not a reptilian conspiracy believer, but I have an irrational fear of such things turning out to be true. Even when the rational parts of mind argue that it's bullcrap, the irrational part is screaming, "What if it's true? What if it's true?" It's like how some people are afraid to be alone in the dark after watching a scary movie, even thought they don't really believe they'll be attacked by fictional movie monsters. However, this fear holds more power over me because there are many people actually claiming this stuff to be true (whether it is or not). So, let's just say I go the extra mile to try and debunk these things. Basically, I'm the official scaredy cat of the JREF forums.
Why are you afraid of things like this "coming true"?

Quote:
I've never watched any of those shows (except for parts of Star Trek here and there), so you could be right.

Lol thanks a lot for that mental image.
My experience looking into Icke's "writings" was that he was taking his cues from pop culture most definitely, as brainache said. He exploits whatever "thing" is popular at the time to help him piece together the worldwide puzzles and glory of ancient history that CT's are not content with the current accepted explanations on. Any gap or ? mark they find gets labeled with gods/aliens/NWO etc and so forth. It's essentially a game of historical Mad Libs ..... where fill in the blanks get literally filled in the blank with imagination. Afterawhile, you start seeing the stuff everywhere that coincides with your fill-in-the-blank choice. Of course. And then it's only logical to start erasing FACT with your Mad Lib pencil, and write in a few fudged bits of history here and there, or a couple of embellishments right over there, or a new translation right here, etc and so forth.

It's how our memory works. It's how oral tradition works. It's how fiction works. It's how we work

Last edited by Trent Wray; 24th March 2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: eta
Old 24th March 2010, 12:38 AM   #9
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

LOL
This isn't about coincidences. It's more likely that there is a cause and effect here, myths travel all the time.

The snake in the garden of eden is another example of a reptile messing around with us.

What about Conan the Barbarian?

What about V (the original, not the remake).

Conspiracies has been around since ever and the notion of the myths of snakes, lizards, reptiles or dragons being wise or cunning is nothing new either.

They just mix them up together.

Still, I want to know why this same story keeps coming up over and over. I wonder where it comes from and why it's always reptiles.
First lesson we were taught in film school: There is no such thing as original stories. Everything is based on something. As human beings we absorb the culture we are exposed to with or without our knowledge.

How many tragic love stories do you know of a couple that love each other but can't be together? Even if the author never heard of Romeo and Julliet, it's likely to assume he read a story inspired by a story inspired by another story that at some point was inspired by Romeo and Julliet.

Oh, and Romeo and Julliet wasn't the original either...

As for why Reptiles? Well as I said above it goes all the way back to the garden of eden and even before that.

Most like people found dinosaur bones and formed all sorts of stories about dragons, giant aligators and the likes.
GrandMasterFox is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 12:44 AM   #10
Trent Wray

Originally Posted by GrandMasterFox View Post
Most like people found dinosaur bones and formed all sorts of stories about dragons, giant aligators and the likes.
I was just about to use this as an example.

Imagine yourself in ancient China sitting around a camp fire. Everyone is looking at the dinosaur bone you have found, in awe of it's size (of course they do not know what a dinosaur bone is ... only that there are those bones everywhere that occassionally turn up). The teeth on the thing are enormous. As you raise the fossil up, there are shadows cast on the ground twice the size of the fossil that is in your hand. It's teeth resemble the formidable and feared crocodile that inhabits the swamps in your village. The crocodile is no better than the snake to most people. And as you're examining it, an owl flies overhead, swooping through the night, casting it's shadow into the mix with the bone. A bad omen indeed.

Dinosaur bone. Fight/flight feeling from the nighttime. Fear of the alligator. Flying owl. Bad omen. Campfire.

The fire-breathing, flying reptile known as the dragon is born. And you are the reason it is born.

Better yet ... you are the POWER behind the dragon. Better yet, you can become a dragon yourself, like magic. Does that make you half human / half dragon? What an advantage to have in life ... especially over those who fear you and those whom you want to fear you.

Last edited by Trent Wray; 24th March 2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 24th March 2010, 12:58 AM   #11
Marshmallow
Thinker

My experience looking into Icke's "writings" was that he was taking his cues from pop culture most definitely, as brainache said. He exploits whatever "thing" is popular at the time to help him piece together the worldwide puzzles and glory of ancient history that CT's are not content with the current accepted explanations on. Any gap or ? mark they find gets labeled with gods/aliens/NWO etc and so forth. It's essentially a game of historical Mad Libs ..... where fill in the blanks get literally filled in the blank with imagination. Afterawhile, you start seeing the stuff everywhere that coincides with your fill-in-the-blank choice. Of course. And then it's only logical to start erasing FACT with your Mad Lib pencil, and write in a few fudged bits of history here and there, or a couple of embellishments right over there, or a new translation right here, etc and so forth.

It's how our memory works. It's how oral tradition works. It's how fiction works. It's how we work
I don't expect you to understand, since this will seem like a typical "woo" reply, but I have witnessed things that seemed to go beyond just the physical (I won't get into the details, as that would be going too far off topic), and as a result I can't help but believe in some sort of non-physical reality. So, if there is a chance that those things have a basis in reality, there is a part of me that wonders if some of those other things might have some basis in reality.

I know it sounds like a crazy thing to be afraid of, but I have no way of knowing that it's not true. That doesn't mean I believe it, but at the same time, I'm afraid that one day I might suddenly have a real reason to believe it. It's hard to stop my mind from going "What if?" Even though I think a lot of these conspiracy theorists are literally crazy, finding out about their conspiracy theories has kind of traumatized me. And since finding out that people believe all this stuff, part of me has been thinking, "If it doesn't have any basis in truth, why do so many people believe it? Why do so many people claim to have seen other people shapeshift into reptiles?" I know it's not a great argument, but since when has fear been rational?

I know you're right about how these conspiracy theorists think and "research" (if you can call it that), but it's still hard to silence that voice saying, "What if?"

This isn't about coincidences. It's more likely that there is a cause and effect here, myths travel all the time.

The snake in the garden of eden is another example of a reptile messing around with us.

What about Conan the Barbarian?

What about V (the original, not the remake).

Conspiracies has been around since ever and the notion of the myths of snakes, lizards, reptiles or dragons being wise or cunning is nothing new either.

They just mix them up together.

First lesson we were taught in film school: There is no such thing as original stories. Everything is based on something. As human beings we absorb the culture we are exposed to with or without our knowledge.

How many tragic love stories do you know of a couple that love each other but can't be together? Even if the author never heard of Romeo and Julliet, it's likely to assume he read a story inspired by a story inspired by another story that at some point was inspired by Romeo and Julliet.

Oh, and Romeo and Julliet wasn't the original either...

As for why Reptiles? Well as I said above it goes all the way back to the garden of eden and even before that.

I agree that none of these stories is completely original - I just think it's weird that the texts are saying exactly same thing as these conspiracy theorists - that there are reptiles disguised as humans ruling the world.

Imagine yourself in ancient China sitting around a camp fire. Everyone is looking at the dinosaur bone you have found, in awe of it's size (of course they do not know what a dinosaur bone is ... only that there are those bones everywhere that occassionally turn up). The teeth on the thing are enormous. As you raise the fossil up, there are shadows cast on the ground twice the size of the fossil that is in your hand. It's teeth resemble the formidable and feared crocodile that inhabits the swamps in your village. The crocodile is no better than the snake to most people. And as you're examining it, an owl flies overhead, swooping through the night, casting it's shadow into the mix with the bone. A bad omen indeed.

Dinosaur bone. Fight/flight feeling from the nighttime. Fear of the alligator. Flying owl. Bad omen. Campfire.

The fire-breathing, flying reptile known as the dragon is born. And you are the reason it is born.

Better yet ... you are the POWER behind the dragon. Better yet, you can become a dragon yourself, like magic. Does that make you half human / half dragon? What an advantage to have in life ... especially over those who fear you and those whom you want to fear you.
You make a good point. Please bear with me. I'm still learning to think critically. It wasn't long ago that I was one of those people who believed what I was told about religion with "blind faith", so maybe that will help you to see where I'm coming from.

I think I'm becoming infamous around here for being such a scaredy cat.

Last edited by Marshmallow; 24th March 2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 24th March 2010, 01:22 AM   #12
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

I agree that none of these stories is completely original - I just think it's weird that the texts are saying exactly same thing as these conspiracy theorists - there are reptiles disguised as humans ruling the world.
But that is just the point... it's not weird.
It's all some derviation from some story. Like most conspiracies, there is a very simple explanation, it's just not glamorous or sexy enough to make it any fun to believe but it's true.

Another lesson they taught us in film school: A good story is "Same but Different". People generally want to hear the same stories over and over again. It's easier to accept the suspense of disbelief when you are already acustomed to the general notion of the movie.

So if you're basically asking why people keep picking on reptiles instead of rabbits or cows, it's because people are already acustomed to the notion of the reptile being cunning and manipulative that it's easier to follow that line.

Again, blame your bible
GrandMasterFox is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 01:30 AM   #13
GrandMasterFox
Illuminator

You make a good point. Please bear with me. I'm still learning to think critically. It wasn't long ago that I was one of those people who believed what I was told about religion with "blind faith", so maybe that will help you to see where I'm coming from.

I don't see any problem with you at all. First, you admit to everything you do which is something most people never realize and it's a very good thing.

Second, you raise questions without fully jumping to conclusions while keeping an open mind and a polite civilized discussion.

There's nothing wrong with that what so ever.
Old 24th March 2010, 01:31 AM   #14
Sledge
Grammaton Cleric

It's cobblers. You're scaring yourself again. Stop it.

"Science knows it doesn't know everything, otherwise it would stop" ~ Dara O'Briain.
Sledge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 01:53 AM   #15
Brainache
Nasty Brutish and Tall

I don't expect you to understand, since this will seem like a typical "woo" reply, but I have witnessed things that seemed to go beyond just the physical (I won't get into the details, as that would be going too far off topic), and as a result I can't help but believe in some sort of non-physical reality. So, if there is a chance that those things have a basis in reality, there is a part of me that wonders if some of those other things might have some basis in reality.

I know it sounds like a crazy thing to be afraid of, but I have no way of knowing that it's not true. That doesn't mean I believe it, but at the same time, I'm afraid that one day I might suddenly have a real reason to believe it. It's hard to stop my mind from going "What if?" Even though I think a lot of these conspiracy theorists are literally crazy, finding out about their conspiracy theories has kind of traumatized me. And since finding out that people believe all this stuff, part of me has been thinking, "If it doesn't have any basis in truth, why do so many people believe it? Why do so many people claim to have seen other people shapeshift into reptiles?" I know it's not a great argument, but since when has fear been rational?

I know you're right about how these conspiracy theorists think and "research" (if you can call it that), but it's still hard to silence that voice saying, "What if?"

I agree that none of these stories is completely original - I just think it's weird that the texts are saying exactly same thing as these conspiracy theorists - that there are reptiles disguised as humans ruling the world.

I think this is an excellent post. I know some people in the CT section have accused you of not being genuine, but I'm not one of them.

I hope the critical thinking works out for you and you can overcome the fear of these things and appreciate them for what they really are: Entertainment.
Brainache is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 01:57 AM   #16
Trent Wray

No worries on my end. The best advice I can give you .... question everything until you are satisfied with the answers ..... or until you have found something to focus on that is more important to you, where the answers will no longer matter even if they were true
Old 24th March 2010, 02:07 AM   #17
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

Well, you're in the right place to fix that.
There are plenty real bad things to be scared of, but interstellar aliens sharing enough DNA with anything on this world to be even described as "reptilian" are about as likely as you winning the lottery three weeks running while going over Niagara falls in a barrel.
Actually, vastly less so.

The history of wild speculation , myth and general nonsense goes back to the mists of yesteryear.And then some. People have always imagined wierd stuff- and some have always totally believed it, while others wondered "what if?", others thought "That doesn't sound right" and some said "Totally hooey from start to finish".
You're nearer the middle of the "normal" spectrum than you may think.

If you're interested, you might read up on Blavatsky and theosophism and mystical "science". Some of what she and others said can be interpreted (and is) in terms of modern science. It's a universal truth that all nutcases love to explain their ideas in terms of "Quantum mechanics", because neither they, nor their listeners, understand it. ( If two ideas are incomprehensible, but one is apparently correct, then the other must be too. It's less "fuzzy logic" than diamond edged silliness.

Little in Icke is original. This sort of stuff is old as the hills. It is still being churned out, using "scientific" word salad as dressing, by people like Jude Currivan. (Look her up. Nice lady, but full of hot air).

My advice is don't try to comprehend too much of this stuff at one sitting. Big lies swamp rationality. You start to think there MUST BE SOMETHING in it. There isn't, any more than the Lays of Beleriand reflect reality.

Start small. Read a few sceptical books. Keep asking yourself why science & rationality have taken us from alchemy to electronics in 300 years, but all the ancient wisdom since the mesolithic produced hee-haw. (Actually the REAL ancient wisdom is what we know about plants, animals and reality. The pyramids, ancient gods and stuff is just entertaining fantasy.

Science is a damn sight more interesting than magic. It works.

Last edited by Soapy Sam; 24th March 2010 at 02:09 AM.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 04:18 AM   #18
Dancing David
Penultimate Amazing

Not speaking for Marshmallow, welcome Marshmallow!, but I used to have wierd intrusive thought from my OCD.
Never underestimate the power of the Random Number God. More of evolutionary history is His doing than people think. - Dinwar
Dancing David is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 05:08 AM   #19
Nonpareil
The Terrible Trivium

Has anyone heard of these tablets? People claim that they exist, but they don't give any physical evidence.
Then it's already debunked.
Old 24th March 2010, 09:03 AM   #20
BaaBaa
Semi-literate hench-person

I get obsessive thoughts, every once in a while-they seem to be harbingers of depressive bouts. I find that saying "it's not real" under my breath, as a mantra works as a palliative, until I can score a new celexxa 'scrip.

Be cool, Ms. Mallow....
Old 24th March 2010, 09:17 AM   #21
fuelair
Banned

LOL

ETA: I have come to the conclusion that Icke is definitely mentally ill and doesn't see reality the way most people do. Still, I want to know why this same story keeps coming up over and over. I wonder where it comes from and why it's always reptiles.
Note that a lot of Lovecraft and Howard have this kind of stuff. Difference between them and Icky is their's are clearly fiction, Icky pretends otherwise.
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 10:08 AM   #22
23_Tauri
Illuminator

I know it sounds like a crazy thing to be afraid of, but I have no way of knowing that it's not true. That doesn't mean I believe it, but at the same time, I'm afraid that one day I might suddenly have a real reason to believe it. It's hard to stop my mind from going "What if?" Even though I think a lot of these conspiracy theorists are literally crazy, finding out about their conspiracy theories has kind of traumatized me.

Hi Marshmallow. No, you're not a scaredy cat. I can relate to what you're going through because it was only relatively recently that I was cheering on David Icke from the stalls of the Brixton Academy and thinking everything he said was true.

Like you, I found the biggest drawback to believing in conspiracy theories is that they leave you feeling so vulnerable, to the point where you're traumatised by believing this rubbish. Becoming a skeptoid is liberating in many ways, but I am trying to be an open-minded sceptic (ifyouseewhatImean).

Now I'm on that journey where I apply the critical thinking that I apply in other areas of my life to conspiracy theories also. Like you, I still think that there is some non-physical reality and I think that science will be able explain this in good time. But that doesn't mean there's reptoids living there.

No fear my friend!
23_Tauri is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 10:17 AM   #23
Accidental Martyr
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
It's cobblers. You're scaring yourself again. Stop it.
Marsh,
What happened to "I'm all calmed down now and I won't read any more of that stuff because it creeps me out"? (See the Beyonce Occult etc. thread).
Old 24th March 2010, 10:27 AM   #24
Elizabeth I
Philosopher

(Highlighting mine.) Except that in Chinese mythology dragons are frequently wise and often symbols of good luck.

Originally Posted by Brainache View Post
I think this is an excellent post. I know some people in the CT section have accused you of not being genuine, but I'm not one of them.
Clarification: some people in the CT section have said they are reserving their options re: genuiness or lack thereof.
Elizabeth I is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 11:05 AM   #25
Moss

The Emerald TabletWP is the "truly Hermetic" one.
Those texts seem to want to cash in on that tradition without providing any evidence they are genuinely ancient. Seems more like the usual New Age rubbish.
Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 11:21 AM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

God, it does sound like something Robert E Howard would dream up. Except that Howard would not take it seriously.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 11:31 AM   #27
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

O the emerald tableth of Thoth
Get alchemetht all in a broth--
Their secretht hermetic
Are frankly pathetic
And theem made up from whole cloth.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 01:05 PM   #28
Nick227
Illuminator

Has anyone heard of these tablets? People claim that they exist, but they don't give any physical evidence. All we have are these "translations".

These tablets are supposedly very ancient. They speak of things commonly known as New Age before the New Age movement even existed.

They speak of Serpent-headed beings disguised as humans secretly ruling the humans.
There's an "Emerald Tablet" ascribed to Hermes Trismegistos, believed to have lived 100-200 CE in Alexandria. It doesn't say anything about serpent-headed beings however. It's just two paragraphs, usually one of 5 sentences and one of 8, and it's a metaphorical tale about the ascent and descent of consciousness between the physical and spiritual realms, which people in those days believed in. Isaac Newton's translation is online if you look on wikipedia Emerald Tablet of Hermes.

Hermes and Thoth are seen as equivalent in a lot of metaphysical systems.

Nick

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth
Nick227 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 01:23 PM   #29
Cainkane1
Philosopher

Mesopotanian religions had stuff like this all the time in their religion. Some Jewish rabbis say that Enki the snake God who created humans was actually the snake in the garden of eden that Yahway put in his place. I personally think this is hogwash.
Old 24th March 2010, 03:28 PM   #30
Accidental Martyr
Master Poster

This is a good picture:
http://www.greatdreams.com/reptlan/reps.htm

Reminds me of a Sleestak.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_...1974_TV_series)
Old 24th March 2010, 03:47 PM   #31
Lensman
Graduate Poster

No, no. You got it wrong. It's not "reptile-headed people", it's people with reptiles IN their heads - it's the Goa'uld! Calling SG-1!!

If the early bird catches the worm - shouldn't the worm have stayed in bed?

Last edited by Lensman; 24th March 2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: typo
Lensman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 03:53 PM   #32
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Lensman View Post
No, no. You got it wrong. It's not "reptile-headed people", it's people with reptiles IN their heads - it's the Goa'uld! Calling SG-1!!

Isn't the oldest part of our brain similar to that of reptiles? Though even if it is, it doesn't explain all the ancient reptile woo.
Old 24th March 2010, 04:13 PM   #33
Moss

Enki and snakes? Lord Earth was depicted with fishscales and springs springing from his shoulders.
You may have been looking for NingishzidaWP.

Moss is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 08:12 PM   #34
Trent Wray

Originally Posted by Elizabeth I View Post
(Highlighting mine.) Except that in Chinese mythology dragons are frequently wise and often symbols of good luck.
Yes of course . I was merely positing a hypothetical.

And I should hope they are good luck. I have a large tattoo on my back of a phoenix interlocked with a dragon ...

Originally Posted by Accidental Martyr View Post
Me like Sleestak . Sleestak good. Chaka bad

Last edited by Trent Wray; 24th March 2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 24th March 2010, 08:58 PM   #35
Sunsneezer
Thinker

Exactly the point I was trying to drive. The more you learn about how fiction is constructed and the patterns it uses, the more you are able discern it from facts. Hence my previous linking to tv-tropes.
You need to learn how to unsuspend your disbelief!
Sunsneezer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2010, 09:07 PM   #36
Trent Wray

Last night I watched a bit of Galaxy Quest and it made me think of this thread.

Remember that flick? Where television transmissions of a Star Trek like TV show are picked up by aliens in space, and they take it to be historical evidence and truth. They then create their entire culture around it, thus making it real.

The idea is a common one. Fiction becomes non-fiction to those who believe in it, and they actually bring the fiction to life as much as they can, thus reinforcing the idea that it's real. "Look .... the Starship Enterprise exists. That means Star Trek was real!" Yet they forget that they built the Enterprise with their own hands, based on a TV show
Old 25th March 2010, 04:11 AM   #37
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing

They speak of things commonly known as New Age before the New Age movement even existed.
There was ever anything new about the new age movement. Just the same old nonsense dressed up in a new set of clothes.

Although I don't see what you think shapeshifting reptilians have to do with new age stuff. The new age was all about spirituality and feel-good stuff about universal oneness. Preferably involving crystals. Quantum ones if possible. The reptilian stuff is a completely separate bunch of conspiracy theorist nonsense, usually proclaiming plenty of doom and gloom and about as far from new age as you can get.

I think it's interesting that David Icke's claims may go further back than we thought
Further back than you thought, maybe. I don't think Icke has ever made an original claim, he just regurgitates any ideas he comes across, provided they're insane enough for his tastes. I quite like the comparison between him and L. Ron Hubbard - Hubbard wrote some bad sci-fi and turned it into a religion. Icke read some bad sci-fi and turned it into a religion. Hubbard at least gets points for originality.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2010, 04:24 AM   #38
Marduk
Banned

Ok, my turn now ?

the oldest text purported to be from the Emerald tablets of thoth post dates 1100CE
So any talk about ancient wisdom contained in them is just that, talk, and nothing else.
Its well known (outside woo) that the entire concept of an emerald tablet full of wisdom is based on the Secretum secretorum, which is Arabic by origin, not greek, certainly not egyptian. Linking this text with a fabled God of wisdom is just a marketing ploy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretum_Secretorum
Its all bollox frankly and you should be ashamed for believing in any word in it, doing so marks you down as having no critical thinking skills whatever
Obviously you won't hear any of this from Icke or any other woo author as per usual they are relying on peoples gullibility to line their pockets

Thats all he (thoth) wrote

I mean come on, the emerald tablet of thoth is supposed to be written on an emerald tablet the size of a small table, doesn't that ring any alarm bells ?

Originally Posted by Cainkane1 View Post
Mesopotanian religions had stuff like this all the time in their religion. Some Jewish rabbis say that Enki the snake God who created humans was actually the snake in the garden of eden that Yahway put in his place. I personally think this is hogwash.
Well yes me too, even the bit about the Rabbis, especially as Enki wasn't a snake god and as the word Eden in any mesopotamian language just means "steppe". Apart from anything else it was Enlil (proto YHWH/God of the flood) who created humanity with the help of Mami the aptly named mother Goddess and the only serpent god is Ningishzida (Enkis great nephew)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ningishzida
Snakes were regarded as beneficial in the ancient world (its scorpions who held the bad boy position) and symbols of immortality and healing, they didn't get a bad rep until after christianity came to prominence, even today they still only have a bad rep in the western world.
But please, don't stop writing pseudo history. Stuff this easy to prove wrong is a valuable teaching aid

Last edited by Marduk; 25th March 2010 at 05:31 AM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2010, 05:37 AM   #39
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Which leads me to some interesting supposition (somewhat off-topic, so I can take it to another thread if it gets involved).

As you say, snakes were viewed as symbols of healing and wisdom until after Christianity. I've always suspected this was a marketing ploy on the side of the new religion (Christianity and/or Judiasm) to discredit the older, more established religions in the area (no, that snake-god you worship? He's really the evil one tricking you into damnation!). Is there any historical evidence that points towards this? I suspect it's been investigated before.
Old 25th March 2010, 05:47 AM   #40
Marduk
Banned

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Is there any historical evidence that points towards this? I suspect it's been investigated before.
lol, well theres a book you may have heard of
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/p/pt/pt0103.htm

It was early church policy to demonise all previous religions as the work of Satan
Originally Posted by Clement of Alexandria
"The Mysteries, then, are only old customs, empty superstitions and venerated deceptions of the Serpent in which men give themselves to initiations which are in fact non-initiations and to rituals which are devoid of religion.

Last edited by Marduk; 25th March 2010 at 06:09 AM.
Marduk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal