ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun control issues

Old 13th September 2019, 09:46 PM   #41
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
I'm not surprised that the mass media pays more attention to kids and middle class persons who are killed. It is kind of like the "missing white woman syndrome" that we see.
You have a good friggin' point there.

Seems I recall some attempt in the long distant past to ban Saturday night specials, a cheap handgun responsible for a lot of death.

But it's not quite just the middle class white kids, there are issues with these mass shootings that are different from a lot of the other gun killings. It's not just the number of deaths.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 13th September 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 09:49 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Stopping the flow of American guns to Mexico where they are used by the drug cartels who send their drugs to America strikes me as a higher priority than random shootings. The random massacres are horrific spectacles, yes, but the drug cartels are actually an existential threat to Mexico and a serious disease to America.
That would be a nice goal, seems like a safe political position to tout.
Old 13th September 2019, 10:12 PM   #43
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
But it's not quite just the middle class white kids, there are issues with these mass shootings that are different from a lot of the other gun killings. It's not just the number of deaths.
Unlike gang violence where both sides are shooting at each other, most mass shooters pick a place with people who are not likely to be shooting back at them. This makes it especially gruesome.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 03:34 PM   #44
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ranb View Post
Unlike gang violence where both sides are shooting at each other, most mass shooters pick a place with people who are not likely to be shooting back at them. This makes it especially gruesome.

They aren't always shooting at each other, not even close. They may think they are, but these shootings are often drive-bys where children and other innocents are shot. Read the LA Times and check out the daily shootings page.

The numbers of people killed in the streets every day are staggering in comparison to "mass shootings". Kids shoot each other every day, just not in school.

And as for low hanging fruit and whoever mentioned that - how is guessing when some kid is going to shoot up a school low hanging fruit? Good luck with that.

You want low hanging fruit? The gangs are not hiding, they are right there in plain sight every day and every night, dealing drugs on the streets, shooting their guns and destroying entire communities. And not just black gangs either. It isn't about black or white.

Yet CNN chooses to focus primarily on "mass shootings". I wonder why that is?

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...hootings-trnd/

Quote:
CNN analyzed locations, time of day, type of school and student demographics to better understand how this trauma grips the country. While school shootings disproportionately affect urban schools and people of color, mass shootings are more likely to occur at white, suburban schools.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/06/27/us/ma...ngs/index.html

Quote:
The man who opened fire at a Charleston church on June 17, killing nine people, joined a list many would like to forget.

Dylann Roof. Adam Lanza. James Holmes. Jared Loughner. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

Their names stir painful memories and conjure images of hate and violence.

The killers have other characteristics in common too: They either were, or are, young, white and male.

Are young, white men more likely than anyone else to become mass murderers?

https://www.politifact.com/punditfac...-shootings-an/

Quote:
Newsweek, for instance, ran a story with the headline, "White men have committed more mass shootings than any other group." The article builds on this claim, stating that 54 percent of mass shootings carried out since 1982 were done so by white males.
Really? Just 54%? Reading the headlines one would think they were all white.

I am sick of hearing this lopsided discussion. This shouldn't be about blacks and whites, it should be about the shootings. All of them. They are all gruesome.

Last edited by mgidm86; 14th September 2019 at 03:37 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 04:15 PM   #45
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

I thought Harris is supposed to be progressive. This little bit of pandering is old hat by now.
Old 14th September 2019, 06:30 PM   #46
Ranb
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
They aren't always shooting at each other, not even close. ...
I should have noted that gang bangers are shooting each other even if it a drive-by and not an actual shoot-out with the other side shooting back. Thanks.
Ranb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 08:06 PM   #47
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I see that almost no AR 15s are imported into America zipped right by your head.
No, I saw it, but I was more responding to Beto than I was to Harris.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events