ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Canada elections , Canada politics , Elizabeth May , justin trudeau , Thomas Mulcair

Old 25th July 2019, 01:49 PM   #521
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
A valid point. You can also vote through a mail-in ballot, or at any time at an election canada office.

But, there are typically fewer locations to vote via advanced polls and/or election canada offices, so someone could (in theory) claim "voting in advance is an added hardship because I have to travel further".
Sure, people will always complain about personal inconvenience. And will not give a thought to those who may be equally inconvenienced by the change to a different date.

We have found during the last several elections that travelling a little farther to advance polls is actually a time-saver. The line-ups are generally noticeably shorter.
Old 31st July 2019, 10:57 AM   #522
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Toronto Conservative Party of Canada candidate....

I'm tempted to just say, "Hey, you're the ones who decided that American-style fixed election dates were SOOOOO important, so deal with it!"
Old 4th August 2019, 04:33 PM   #523
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

(There are accusation of a bias in favor of the F-35.)
That idea looks pretty hilarious from the outside. What else can the promise not to get F-35s under any circumstances, and contrivances to avoid it like declaring a need for an "interim" fighter and multiple rounds of re-evaluations of already-evaluated options, even be but, by definition, demonstrations of a bias against F-35‽

The list of companies is strange in a few different ways.
  1. The maker of my top non-F-35 choice, Dassault, isn't there. Why not? The Rafale is still in production and we know France has sold them to other countries before.
  2. The main non-engineering-related reason I've seen given for some Canooks' hostility to F-35 has been that it's American and they don't want to buy American. But then why isn't Boeing also excluded? Do the Anti-American factions just not perceive it as a threat because they're aware that it's not up to even the modern European standard anyway? Did losing the fighter competition to Lockheed (and/or their commercial with the kids playing with toy planes) position them as sufficiently against F-35 and thus qualify them as the enemy's enemy?
  3. Why is it "Airbus" (one of a few companies that formed the Eurofighter consortium to make the Typhoon together) instead of "Eurofighter"?
  4. Having Saab in there was a surprise. Were they always considering the Gripen, and I've just forgotten it because it never stayed in the conversation for long when people started talking about these planes' capabilities? It's smaller, shorter-ranged, and more lightly armed than the other European options or F-35, and the oldest design & technology in the contest. Did it just get added recently to appease those who prioritize cost?

Anyone want to predict what will happen? Will they stick with the 80-plane order or go back to the 65 originally suggested under the conservatives? Which plane will be picked? Will there be further delays or problems?
If it were purely a matter of which plane is best without getting more costly than the competition, there's no question that F-35 would win. But given that the decision will be driven more by Canadian politics instead, I can't even try to predict, especially with the Rafale having already somehow been eliminated. I can see any of the other 3 winning for different reasons depending on which faction ends up with the deciding influence.
  1. If it's done mainly by those who want the best plane they can get (other than F-35 because so many people would hate them for admitting that, or the Rafale because it's somehow not even on the list of choices), it'll be the Typhoon.
  2. If it's done mainly by those who want the cheapest so they can just get it over with and say they have new fighters while "wasting" as little money as possible on this "having fighters" nonsense, it'll be the Gripen.
  3. If those who aren't even really paying attention win and just pick the one they've heard talked about the most before and/or the one that sounds the most like what they're used to, it'll be the F-18E/F-18F.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th August 2019, 03:11 PM   #524
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
That idea looks pretty hilarious from the outside. What else can the promise not to get F-35s under any circumstances, and contrivances to avoid it like declaring a need for an "interim" fighter and multiple rounds of re-evaluations of already-evaluated options, even be but, by definition, demonstrations of a bias against F-35‽
Remember though, there was that little tiff between Boeing and Canada over our subsidies to Bombardier. That's where boeing complained about us subsidizing Canadian made planes, which caused the federal liberals (who had been anti-F35 to then become anti-F18).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/boe...ster-1.4308734

Quote:
The list of companies is strange in a few different ways.The maker of my top non-F-35 choice, Dassault, isn't there. Why not? The Rafale is still in production and we know France has sold them to other countries before.
From: https://www.defensenews.com/industry...t-competition/
Dassault, however, reviewed the draft request for proposals and determined the Canadian requirements for intelligence data sharing and interoperability, particularly with U.S. forces, would be difficult to meet, sources noted.
Quote:
The main non-engineering-related reason I've seen given for some Canooks' hostility to F-35 has been that it's American and they don't want to buy American. But then why isn't Boeing also excluded?
I always figured the hostility to the F-35 wasn't based on anti-Americanism, but anti-Harper/anti-conservatism. The conservatives planned to buy the F-35.... the conservatives were evil... everything that they were involved with is evil... therefore the F-35 is evil.

Quote:
Why is it "Airbus" (one of a few companies that formed the Eurofighter consortium to make the Typhoon together) instead of "Eurofighter"?
I'm really not sure. I have had it referred to as 'Eurofighter' elsewhere in the news at times.
Quote:
Having Saab in there was a surprise. Were they always considering the Gripen, and I've just forgotten it because it never stayed in the conversation for long when people started talking about these planes' capabilities? It's smaller, shorter-ranged, and more lightly armed than the other European options or F-35, and the oldest design & technology in the contest. Did it just get added recently to appease those who prioritize cost?
Whenever I hear about the fighter jet replacements, I've heard the Gripen mentioned, so its been in the mix for quite some time. (Granted, when the conservatives were first going to buy the F-35, they weren't going to run a full competition, so the Gripen wasn't OFFICIALLY considered then, but then neither were any other planes..)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 08:16 AM   #525
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm tempted to just say, "Hey, you're the ones who decided that American-style fixed election dates were SOOOOO important, so deal with it!"
I don't think the fact that they have fixed election dates really matters in this context.

The exact same thing could have happened with the old "pick an election date when its an advantage", the only difference is there would have been less time to actually deal with it.

Just a followup though: Looks like the Chief Electoral officer has once again suggested keeping the election date on the same day, despite the conflict with the Jewish holiday.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/chie...erns-1.4528000
Perrault's detailed decision, made public Monday, considered the impact on observant Jews and his mandate "to ensure accessible voting opportunities for all Canadians." But he concludes it would not be in the public interest to reschedule.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th August 2019, 08:35 AM   #526
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A couple of other Canada-related stories. (Not necessarily related to federal politics, but probably not important enough to start their own threads.)

-----------

A huge manhunt for 2 young men suspected to have killed several people in British Columbia is over.

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/5736937/b...suspects-rcmp/
After a weeks-long manhunt, RCMP announced Wednesday that Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod are believed to be dead. Manitoba RCMP said officers located two male bodies, believed to belong to the suspects, near the shoreline of the Nelson River.
Schmegelsky and McLeod, two friends from Port Alberni, B.C., both aged 19, were charged with second-degree murder in the death of 64-year-old Vancouver man Leonard Dyck. They were also suspects in the shooting deaths of Australian Lucas Fowler and Chynna Deese of North Carolina.

Still have to wait for autopsy results to confirm, but its probably them. I suspect mutual suicide, since the bodies were located so close to each other. (Not sure if anyone has figured out a motive yet.)

------------

And SNC-Lavalin is in the news in Ottawa.

Ottawa is in the process of building a light rail train system (subway). The system currently under development is a year late, and has been affected by many technical problems. Despite that, the city has started planning a second phase to expand the rail line.

The company that won the bid for phase 2 was SNC-Lavalin. It won the bid despite falling short on certain technical aspects of the bid:

From: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...wice-1.5237774
SNC-Lavalin failed to meet the minimum 70 per cent technical score in its bid to extend the Trillium Line...the company was awarded the $1.6-billion contract by council in March this year.

Looks like they were awarded the contract because of the price of their bid, and because of a threat of lawsuits if they weren't picked.

Still, there were a few shady things going on:
- City Council was not told of the details when they voted on rail expansion
- A law firm that was advising the city government also had SNC-Lavalin as a client

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th August 2019, 09:08 AM   #527
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like the SNC-Lavalin scandal is sticking around the news and smelling up the place, like a dead woodchuck under the porch.

The Ethics commissioner released a report about Trudeau's role in it. The government has responded. Some of the highlights:

- The commissioner concluded that Trudeau violated the Conflict of Interest act by trying to influence the att. general in dealing with SNC-Lavalin.

- It has been suggested that while Trudeau claimed they would cooperate with the investigation, in reality they failed to cooperate, keeping many documents away from the investigation. (i.e. Trudeau pulled a Trump).

- Trudeau has "claimed responsibility" but "does not apologize"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/phi...port-1.5247792

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th August 2019, 10:47 AM   #528
Steve
Philosopher

Looks like the SNC-Lavalin scandal is sticking around the news and smelling up the place, like a dead woodchuck under the porch.

The Ethics commissioner released a report about Trudeau's role in it. The government has responded. Some of the highlights:

- The commissioner concluded that Trudeau violated the Conflict of Interest act by trying to influence the att. general in dealing with SNC-Lavalin.

- It has been suggested that while Trudeau claimed they would cooperate with the investigation, in reality they failed to cooperate, keeping many documents away from the investigation. (i.e. Trudeau pulled a Trump).

- Trudeau has "claimed responsibility" but "does not apologize"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/phi...port-1.5247792
The decision came out surprisingly close to the election. This is going to stay front page for the next couple of months.

Vancouver Granville is not my riding but I will be a very interested observer. The battle is likely between Wilson-Reybould and the Taleeb Noormohammed, recently appointed Lib candidate (who is currently hiding from questions related to Trudeau). The NDP candidate in that riding happens to be the daughter of a long-time friend and I would be ok with seeing her do well. She could win if the split between Wilson-Reybould and Noormohammed is fairly even.
Old 15th August 2019, 11:41 AM   #529
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Quote:

The Ethics commissioner released a report about Trudeau's role in it.
The decision came out surprisingly close to the election. This is going to stay front page for the next couple of months.
I think there was a promise/requirement that it come out before the election, so that voters could consider it when deciding who to elect.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 15th August 2019, 06:35 PM   #530
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

This is now the second time Justin's been slapped by the ethics commissioner.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice ..."

While I saw Trudeau as a breath of fresh air from the dogmatic and anti-science stances of the Harper years, I really wonder about his overall abilities. He's had a series of high profile blunders like the Phoenix payroll system*, the Aga Khan island trip, the India trip and now the SNC Lavelin affair. Are these the result of an inflated ego with a dash of Dunning-Kruger?

* Yes, I blame the Trudeau government for the Phoenix payroll disaster. While it was started under Harper's watch, it was Trudeau's minister that gave it the go-ahead even though it clearly wasn't ready.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th August 2019, 12:21 PM   #531
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
* Yes, I blame the Trudeau government for the Phoenix payroll disaster. While it was started under Harper's watch, it was Trudeau's minister that gave it the go-ahead even though it clearly wasn't ready.

This was one of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't things. Yes, Phoenix was a disaster, and they should have expected that, but if they'd just tossed it, then we'd have five years of the Conservatives bashing them for "wasting money".
Old 16th August 2019, 01:01 PM   #532
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
This was one of those damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't things. Yes, Phoenix was a disaster, and they should have expected that, but if they'd just tossed it, then we'd have five years of the Conservatives bashing them for "wasting money".
There was a 3rd option, apart from using it right away or tossing it.

Work on it, do a little more testing, and then implement it once you have all the bugs worked out. Or do a more gradual roll out, starting with a few departments and expanding to more departments gradually.

There was at least one report prior to its release that suggested their could be problems. (Admittedly, there were also reports suggesting it should be OK to go ahead.)

The first stage saw it rolled out to 34 departments. They started to get reports of pay problems then. It would have been a good time time to halt the process and fix the bugs before proceeding. But despite the problems they went ahead with the next stage within a few months.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 20th August 2019, 08:46 AM   #533
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Looks like another potential issue that might cause Trudeau some headaches:

The case of "Jihadi Jack":

From Wiki:
Jack Abraham Letts is a British-born Muslim convert, formerly of dual British-Canadian nationality, who is alleged to be a member of ISIL. He was given the nickname Jihadi Jack by the British media... Letts said that he travelled to Kuwait in May 2014 and to Syria in September of that same year.
On 18 August 2019 it was reported that the British government had revoked Letts' British citizenship.

(Note: Letts and his parents claim he's "Not ISIS". But, his travel to the middle east, a statement of his that he "supports Sharia Law", and a photo of himself doing an ISIS gesture probably don't help his case any.)

And from: https://globalnews.ca/news/5784253/j...u-canada-laws/
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is assuring Canadians that he will uphold Canadian law in regards to “Jihadi Jack.” Jack Letts, a British-Canadian, joined ISIS as a teenager. He is being held in a jail in northern Syria after being captured by Kurdish forces... The prime minister’s comments come shortly after Letts told a British television station that he’s hopeful Canada will take him back.

(Although Letts holds Canadian citizenship, his attachment to the country is minimal. He was born in Britain and attended school there before going to the middle east.)

I recognize that the issue of what to do with former ISIS fighters can be tricky. After all, there is the issue of "innocent until proven guilty", and collecting evidence showing a particular individual in criminal activity in foreign countries is a difficult task. Still, I don't think Trudeau did himself any favors when he made his "Canadian is a Canadian" statements.

Note that there may be one other issue: Canada does have laws against travelling to other countries to engage in terrorist activities. However, the way the law is worded, the person has to DEPART from Canada. So even if this guy is determined to be an ISIS supporter, there may not be anything that can be done about it.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 20th August 2019, 10:31 AM   #534
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I recognize that the issue of what to do with former ISIS fighters can be tricky. After all, there is the issue of "innocent until proven guilty", and collecting evidence showing a particular individual in criminal activity in foreign countries is a difficult task. Still, I don't think Trudeau did himself any favors when he made his "Canadian is a Canadian" statements.

Note that there may be one other issue: Canada does have laws against travelling to other countries to engage in terrorist activities. However, the way the law is worded, the person has to DEPART from Canada. So even if this guy is determined to be an ISIS supporter, there may not be anything that can be done about it.

The simple solution is that "A Canadian is a Canadian", but this particular Canadian will be arrested and charged with treason if he ever sets foot in Canada again.
Old 20th August 2019, 10:57 AM   #535
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The simple solution is that "A Canadian is a Canadian", but this particular Canadian will be arrested and charged with treason if he ever sets foot in Canada again.
But as I said... there are problems: How do you collect evidence, given the fact that his actions would have taken place in a foreign (and hostile) country?

I believe that this individual supported ISIS. The timing of his trip, his stated support of Sharia law, and his picture in ISIS territory support that. But I'm not convinced that would be enough to convict him in a court of law.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2019, 05:02 AM   #536
Border Reiver
Philosopher

At this point they've done all the damage control on this that they can - the government has acknowledged that he's a Canadian citizen (because, by law, he is), and they've stated that they are not going to take any action to repatriate him.

Right now the issue with Jack and any similar folk out there is just what Segnosaur identified - getting evidence to prosecute and convict. Essentially, unless the CAF captures any of these knuckleheads, evidence is going to be likely sketchy, and that makes conviction unlikely - leaving Canada to fight for a foreign power or terrorist group is an offence and I think the last people we were able to prosecute under that law were some of the Mac-Paps who fought for the Republicans in Spain and were unwise enough to return to Canada with their discharge papers from the Republican government still in their possession when they hit the dock in Halifax. While the circumstantial facts of the matter are more than sufficient to convict them in the court of public opinion, it's not enough to convict in a court of law - and it's a better use of resources to keep them under surveillance as suspected criminals than it is to try and convict them, and lose because the evidence is insufficient to meet the standard of "beyond a reasonable doubt."
Old 21st August 2019, 09:06 AM   #537
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Border Reiver View Post
At this point they've done all the damage control on this that they can - the government has acknowledged that he's a Canadian citizen (because, by law, he is), and they've stated that they are not going to take any action to repatriate him.
The current actions (i.e. not making an effort to repatriate him) does make the most sense. However, I still think the case is damaging to the Liberals, because it reinforces the image that Trudeau "Loves him some ISIS" (even if in this case they are backing off).

We are Groot - Groot
Old 21st August 2019, 10:45 AM   #538
Border Reiver
Philosopher

The current actions (i.e. not making an effort to repatriate him) does make the most sense. However, I still think the case is damaging to the Liberals, because it reinforces the image that Trudeau "Loves him some ISIS" (even if in this case they are backing off).
The Trudeau government was going to lose this little fight no matter what they did.

If they tried any and all alleged returning fighters and lost the cases, then they'd be criticised for being incompetent.
If they let them back in and didn't try them, they're soft on terrorism.
If they stripped them of citizenship while they were overseas, they disregarding the rule of law.
If they didn't strip them of citizenship while they were overseas, they're soft on terrorism.
If they let them be tried and imprisoned overseas, they weren't sticking up for Canadians who may have been just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
If they did assist with any who were tried overseas, then they were (once again) soft on terror.

I also have no illusions that at least one of the opposition parties would do the above no matter who formed the government.
Old 21st August 2019, 11:59 AM   #539
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The Trudeau government was going to lose this little fight no matter what they did.

I also have no illusions that at least one of the opposition parties would do the above no matter who formed the government.

Yep. It's a near-perfect example of the rule "Hard cases make bad laws". No matter what rule you establish, there's always going to be a case that falls near the edge, which can be used to criticize TPTB, whoever they are.

I'd want to see him charged, even if it would be hard to prove it in court, because I'm betting that this threat alone would be enough to keep him out voluntarily. If he ever does get out of the jail he's currently in, let him wander the Earth trying to find some hole that will let him hide there.
Old 21st August 2019, 01:27 PM   #540
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

If they tried any and all alleged returning fighters and lost the cases, then they'd be criticised for being incompetent.
If they let them back in and didn't try them, they're soft on terrorism.
Oh, I agree... it was largely a no-win situation, and someone was going to complain regardless of what was done.

I still think Trudeau has handled this (and related) issues poorly, at least from a public relations perspective. When the issue of dealing with Canadian-born ISIS supporters came up, he seemed almost happy to have them repatriated, because it made the Liberal position different than the Conservatives.

I guess one of the issues is whether its better to try some of the returning fighters and lose (and be seen as incompetent), or not try at all. I think trying a court case (and failing) would be better politically than not trying at all.

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 21st August 2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 25th August 2019, 04:46 AM   #541
KDLarsen
Illuminator

The Guardian has a pretty good long read on Trudeau's use of image and how cracks are starting to show. Well worth a read in my humble opinion:
Quote:
Ironically, but perhaps inevitably, Trudeau’s efforts to depict himself in this way have now helped to set the stage for his potential unmaking. Some of the policies enacted by Trudeau’s government have made his political identity seem hollow, even disingenuous. Compounding this has been the ongoing fallout from the most significant controversy of his tenure: Canada’s ethics watchdog recently found that Trudeau broke the country’s conflict of interest law in the hopes of allowing a giant engineering and construction firm to avoid a corruption trial. The company is facing charges in connection with millions of dollars in bribes allegedly paid to officials in Libya, including members of the Gaddafi regime, between 2001 and 2011.

Far from the progressive, transparent government that Trudeau sold to Canadians and the global media, the scandal suggests that, like previous Canadian governments, Trudeau’s administration remains in thrall to the “Laurentian consensus” – the web of political, business and intellectual elites in Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal whose collective name is a nod to eastern Canada’s mighty St Lawrence river. Ahead of a federal election in October, Trudeau’s approval ratings have plunged from a high of 65% in 2016 to about 32% in July, leaving him vulnerable to becoming the first Canadian prime minister since the 1930s to lose a bid for re-election after winning only one majority mandate.

“Brand Trudeau was squeaky clean and fresh and new and a different kind of politics,” says Shachi Kurl, a pollster from the Angus Reid Institute. “And it’s turned out that Brand Trudeau is: ‘Welcome to the new politics, just like the old politics.’”
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...olitical-brand
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 06:45 AM   #542
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

For your consideration:

Quote:
OTTAWA -- A new book arriving on the eve of the federal election campaign is offering policy geeks a comprehensive take on whether Justin Trudeau lived up to his 2015 vows.

At the heart of the 237-page publication -- the product of work from two dozen Canadian academics -- is an analysis of 353 Liberal pre-election promises and an evaluation of how many have actually been fulfilled since Trudeau's team took office.
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...book-1.4564103

In short, the experts found that by March of this year Trudeau's government had entirely followed through on about 50 per cent of its pledges, partially delivered on about 40 per cent and had broken roughly 10 per cent.
Old 27th August 2019, 07:13 AM   #543
Belz...
Fiend God

For your consideration:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/trud...book-1.4564103

In short, the experts found that by March of this year Trudeau's government had entirely followed through on about 50 per cent of its pledges, partially delivered on about 40 per cent and had broken roughly 10 per cent.
So... is that good, relatively speaking?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 07:29 AM   #544
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

Yes.
Old 27th August 2019, 07:31 AM   #545
Belz...
Fiend God

That's how I read it too.

Seems like he's not quite as bad a leader as we thought.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 07:49 AM   #546
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

For comparison purposes, here is Politifact's Trump-O-Meter.
Old 27th August 2019, 08:03 AM   #547
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

The article mentions that they had done the same sort of analysis for the Harper government...

Results:
The researchers also created a Polimetre for Stephen Harper's last majority government that stretched from 2011 to 2015. The Harper government, they found, completely met 77 per cent of its election pledges, delivered in part on seven per cent and broke 16 per cent of their promises.

It also states:
the researchers found the Trudeau and the last Harper government had the highest rates of follow-through on their campaign promises of any Canadian government over the last 35 years.

So, the Trudeau government either 1) did good because "we did more than half of what we promised", or 2) did bad because the previous government fulfilled more promises. Its all a matter of perspective.

It should also be noted that not all election promises are equal. After all, the broken Trudeau promise of "no deficits" was (at least to some) a more significant promise than his "kept" promises of "improving food labeling" (for example).

You can see their list of promises here (along with whether it was kept or broken)

https://trudeaumetre.polimeter.org/

We are Groot - Groot
Old 27th August 2019, 08:18 AM   #548
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

That's how I read it too.

Seems like he's not quite as bad a leader as we thought.
There are a few issues though:

1) Not all promises are equal. His big 'broken promise' of not dealing with the deficit is (at least to me) a more significant issue than many of the smaller "fulfilled" promises

2) Most of the complaints against Trudeau have not been about promises that were made/broken, but about things that weren't really brought up in the last election (or if they were, weren't really a 'promise'). Things like his dressing up in Indian outfits while meeting with politicians from India made him look silly. And his handling of SNC Lavalin was of questionable legality, but I don't recall the issue of "should we allow companies who engage in bribery" to be an election issue.

3) The validity of each promise also needs to be considered. For example, he had a promise not to buy the F-35; it was a dumb promise that should have never been made (and the Liberals have been bungling the jet fighter replacement contract ever since)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 31st August 2019, 06:53 AM   #549
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I'm not sure if this means Scheer is worried about the election, or is just pandering to the "They'll believe any ********" segment of the conservatives that seem to love Trump, but he's now pushing the claim that Trudeau "capitulated" to Trump on the New NAFTA, even though other Conservatives disagree with him on that.

Quote:
Andrew Scheer, who took over the Conservative helm from Ambrose in 2017, has called the new NAFTA a “historic humiliation” and has accused Trudeau of “capitulating” in the face of the mercurial U.S. president’s threats to scrap NAFTA altogether if he didn’t get a new continental trade deal favouring the United States.

Scheer raised the issue again Tuesday in a statement challenging Trudeau to take part in a leaders’ debate on foreign policy scheduled for Oct. 1, less than three weeks before the Oct. 21 federal election.
Quote:
“(Trudeau) has been incredibly weak on the world stage — backing down to Donald Trump on NAFTA, humiliating Canada and severely damaging relations with India and failing to stand up for Canada’s interests in China,” he said.

This assessment of the New NAFTA is so far from what I can see of it, Scheer is either delusional or desperate. In fact, the handling of the renegotiation is one of the big things that have convinced me to vote for Trudeau this time around. The other is the continuing dive into stupidity that is the Ford-Kenney-Scheer-era conservative movement in Canada.
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:09 AM   #550
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

This assessment of the New NAFTA is so far from what I can see of it, Scheer is either delusional or desperate. In fact, the handling of the renegotiation is one of the big things that have convinced me to vote for Trudeau this time around. The other is the continuing dive into stupidity that is the Ford-Kenney-Scheer-era conservative movement in Canada.
I don't necessarily agree with Scheer. (I think Trudeau did as best he could in the NAFTA negotiations, given the incompetence and instability of the Trump administration.) But, I'm not going to condemn him for his remarks either. After all, its natural for politicians to try to paint their opponents in a negative light.

I do think its rather strange that this would be an issue that would convince you to vote for Trudeau, since Trudeau himself wasn't a central figure in the negotiations.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:11 AM   #551
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

And in perhaps the most petty act in politics:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...kers-1.5257747
Premier Doug Ford says gas station owners who don't put his government's anti-carbon tax stickers on their pumps will be fined...

Yes, because the best way to debate issues of environmental and fiscal policy is via a simplistic picture stuck on the side of a gas pump.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:11 AM   #552
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

I don't necessarily agree with Scheer. (I think Trudeau did as best he could in the NAFTA negotiations, given the incompetence and instability of the Trump administration.) But, I'm not going to condemn him for his remarks either. After all, its natural for politicians to try to paint their opponents in a negative light.

I do think its rather strange that this would be an issue that would convince you to vote for Trudeau, since Trudeau himself wasn't a central figure in the negotiations.

There's "a negative light", and then there's "humiliated Canada". I fully expect other parties to claim they could have done it better, they're like lead guitarists that way. But it's the ridiculous over the top hyperbole that bothers me, particularly since it's obvious he's trying to mimic Trump's "So SAD! Worst Deal Ever!" kind of verbiage. Because of course someone who's enough of a Trump sycophant that they decide to emulate him, albeit lamely, is the guy we want negotiating with Trump.

Trudeau himself might not have been a central figure in the negotiations, but the team he put together were. And he stood fast and let them do their work without constantly jiggling their elbows, in the face of several direct personal attacks by Trump. The Captain of the ship doesn't need to know how to work the sails, if he's got confidence in the crew he's picked.

Premier Doug Ford says gas station owners who don't put his government's anti-carbon tax stickers on their pumps will be fined...

Yes, because the best way to debate issues of environmental and fiscal policy is via a simplistic picture stuck on the side of a gas pump.

...and that's the other reason I'm not voting Conservative.

If I thought the NDP had a real chance to win, I'd vote for them. That's what I did last time. But if they couldn't pull off a win against a hugely unpopular Harper, and a Got-In-On-His-Name Trudeau, just after a major NDP upset win in Alberta, they're never going to win.
Old 3rd September 2019, 11:13 AM   #553
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Reading that...Yes, Ontario is "open for business"! I for one am contemplating buying some spray paint, for a completely unrelated reason.
Old 10th September 2019, 04:52 AM   #554
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Just drop the writ already!

Seriously, all the parties are already campaigning in all but name, no legislative work is being done and the staff of all the Departments should be in "transition mode".

Just do it, seriously, the GG won't bite if you put it in front of her.
Old 11th September 2019, 10:28 AM   #555
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Just drop the writ already!

Seriously, all the parties are already campaigning in all but name, no legislative work is being done and the staff of all the Departments should be in "transition mode".
The problem is that once the writ is dropped, changes occur in campaign spending rules.

The biggest difference (in my opinion) is 3rd party election spending. 3rd party campaigning is sort of like PACs in the U.S... they can campaign on issues, but can't directly collaborate with a particular party.Prior to the election being called, 3rd parties can spend ~$1 million. Once the election starts, that drops to ~$500k.

In other elections, the party that tends to benefit the most from 3rd party spending is the Liberals. Much of that is from Union-backed organizations that run ads attacking the conservatives. However, often those "independent" organizations are run by people who used to be members of the Liberal party. So, no "active" collaboration, just rather sketchy "I'm a former Liberal organizer who just happens to now run an organization that's attacking the conservatives. But you can trust me that I'm really independent." (For the record, the conservatives have started to do the same sort of thing, but they are not as polished at it as the Liberals.)

So if you're Trudeau, you're best bet is to wait as long as possible before officially calling the election, to allow the 3rd parties to attack the Conservatives before their power is limited.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b0bbe6e333fc32

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th September 2019, 09:00 AM   #556
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some additional Canadian news (not necessarily related to the election, and I certainly don't blame the Liberals for this)...

From: https://globalnews.ca/news/5899146/s...ested-charged/
A senior RCMP official arrested in a case that sent shockwaves through Canada’s national security community on Friday was uncovered by U.S. authorities who tipped off Ottawa, a source told Global News. Cameron Ortis faces seven counts dating as far back as 2015, including breach of trust, communicating “special operational information,” and obtaining information in order to pass it to a “foreign entity.”

Certainly an embarrassing situation, not only for whatever Canadian investigations are impacted, but because it may make our allies less likely to trust us.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 29th September 2019, 07:05 AM   #557
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

New video of Trudeau in blackface:

https://www.redstate.com/nick-arama/...the-worst-yet/

I don't think this can be excused as "innocent part of an innocent costume at an innocent costume party".

I also don't think "brownface" is going to have much traction anymore, as a mitigating term.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th September 2019, 01:15 PM   #558
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

I don't think this can be excused as "innocent part of an innocent costume at an innocent costume party".

I also don't think "brownface" is going to have much traction anymore, as a mitigating term.

That's just a higher quality version of one of the one's we've already seen, though.
Old 29th September 2019, 11:59 PM   #559
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

Personally I don't fully understand the problem with blackface, but it seems that due to historical reasons there are valid concerns about it, and even when it's done innocently (without some racist intentions behind it), it can be offensive to others. So I'm fine with the idea that we should not engage in it.

That said, I grew up in Canada and am about ten years younger than Trudeau. When I was young if a friend of mine dressed up as a black man I wouldn't have thought it was racist at all, I would have looked at in that same way I looked at guys who dressed up as women for halloween. He could certainly have been unaware of the issues surrounding blackface and as such it seems entirely conceivable to me that it was innocent.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th September 2019, 08:34 AM   #560
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
That said, I grew up in Canada and am about ten years younger than Trudeau. When I was young if a friend of mine dressed up as a black man I wouldn't have thought it was racist at all, I would have looked at in that same way I looked at guys who dressed up as women for halloween. He could certainly have been unaware of the issues surrounding blackface and as such it seems entirely conceivable to me that it was innocent.
I believe the last time Trudeau was photographed in blackface was in 2001. (i.e. when he was a teacher, not some young teenager).

There was a very famous case that occurred in the 1990s where Ted Danson dressed in blackface during a 'roast' of Whoopi Goldberg, and was widely criticized for it in the press. This took place years before Trudeau's latest picture. So it seems like the problems with blackface were well known at the time, and it seems rather bizarre for someone who claims to be so progressive to not be aware of the issues.

Now, I'm not necessarily saying Trudeau is a full-blown racist of the "lets burn a cross" type. I think the problem is not racism per se, but more of a certain tone-deafness, that's been repeated multiple times throughout his personal and political life.

We are Groot - Groot

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics