ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th September 2019, 01:44 PM   #41
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I actually wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.

Polar bears are a good example of what an intermediate form between a terrestrial mammal and something like a seal that lives most of it's life in the sea but still returns to land to have young would have looked like, which is a nice example of the sort of intermediate form you'd have before getting something fully aquatic like a dolphin that never returns to the land.

I would say the sea otter fills the bill better. It doesn't have a layer of blubber, like the polar bear, dolphin and whale and depends entirely on is thick fur "with up to 150,000 strands of hair per square centimetre (nearly one million per sq in), its fur is the densest of any animal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_otter

and yet can spend it's entire life in the ocean. And like the polar bear, it is extremely cute. (cuddles)

Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:54 PM   #42
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
From now on I will endeavor to refer to the Queen's English as Monty Python Slang. Thank you.
My work here is done.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:31 PM   #43
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Taking the Panda Express no doubt.
I'll have a bowl with Behzhing Beef.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:39 PM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

A man, a panda, a canal: Pandama!

The randa in Spanda falls manda on the panda.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy panda and was crushed to death by its savage paws and its whole body wrung like a dishrag so the panda could guzzle its sweet red blood raining down on its horrible stupid black-and-white face. Pandas are disgusting beasts and should be flattened by heavy machinery then stacked in the cellar and we all leave quietly, one at a time.
Old 19th September 2019, 10:41 PM   #45
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Just heard a rumour from someone on the inside.

The panda was vaper.

Traces of THC found.

Sent from my SM-J111M using Tapatalk
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:09 PM   #46
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Snuffed means killed, not died. This is the second thread title with this annoying language error.
"Snuffed it" means died in British English at least
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:27 PM   #47
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
I would say the sea otter fills the bill better. It doesn't have a layer of blubber, like the polar bear, dolphin and whale and depends entirely on is thick fur "with up to 150,000 strands of hair per square centimetre (nearly one million per sq in), its fur is the densest of any animal."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_otter

and yet can spend it's entire life in the ocean. And like the polar bear, it is extremely cute. (cuddles)

http://68.media.tumblr.com/1b3e8f69f...y7ono1_540.gif

https://media.giphy.com/media/9A56kP...mdug/giphy.gif
Polar bear -> sea otter -> sealion -> seal -> manatee -> whales
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:40 PM   #48
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
"Snuffed it" means died in British English at least
Yes, and Americans don't have "snuffed it". We have what's probably a Hollywood colloquialism of "killed", as in "Louie, I t'ought I told you to snuff him".... Probably some marginally literate screenwriter like Faulkner or Agee who never met an actual hoodlum. In a bad online etymology resource, the British usage dates back almost a hundred years earlier than the American.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 11:52 PM   #49
Ryokan
Insert something funny here

I have been to Thai zoos.

I would remove all animals from them, not just pandas.

Actually, I would remove all animals from the whole country.

Seriously, if you're in Thailand, don't use any money on anything involving animals.

Last edited by Ryokan; 20th September 2019 at 12:25 AM.
Ryokan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 12:20 AM   #50
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Ryokan View Post
I have been to Thai zoos.

I would remove all animals from them, not just pandas.

Actually, I woule remove all animals from the whole country.

Seriously, if you're in Thailand, don't use any money on anything involving animals.
Well, don't go to any pay shows. There are private efforts that I don't hesitate to support. It's too broad a brush to rank everything with the criminal monks' tiger temple, the croc wrestling exhibitions and the elephant abusers in their supposed "sanctuaries". There's a reputable zoo run by one of the princesses' foundations, there are decent (and not open to the public) elephant rehab centers and there's a lot of private effort on the domestic strays side.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 12:25 AM   #51
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Yes, and Americans don't have "snuffed it". We have what's probably a Hollywood colloquialism of "killed", as in "Louie, I t'ought I told you to snuff him".... Probably some marginally literate screenwriter like Faulkner or Agee who never met an actual hoodlum. In a bad online etymology resource, the British usage dates back almost a hundred years earlier than the American.
Personally I should have realised the US was different from "snuff films"

Was going to put another joke here, but the whole thing has got full on now. There is pandamodium in China.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 12:50 AM   #52
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Polar bear -> sea otter -> sealion -> seal -> manatee -> whales

YES!!! High five!!!!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 01:19 AM   #53
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Interesting fact I just found.

The blue whale's latin name is Balaenoptera musculus

The largest animal whose tongue weighs more than an elephant

Musculus is the Latin word for muscle, which is derived from Latin "mus" (mouse)

As in moving muscle, looking like little mice moving under the skin apparently.

So you can actually interpret a blue whale literally being a "little mouse"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/muscle#Etymology

Roboramma is correct!

Whales are just big mice, called little ones

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events