ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags political predictions , political speculation , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 12th September 2019, 12:54 PM   #1921
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Quite. They're both determined to stay "in the game", and pulling together is their best hope of doing so.
True, but they both might have lot of interesting dirt to turn up....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 12:58 PM   #1922
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
It's interesting that such a group of self-serving chancers as Trump's former aides, who leak like mad when in government haven't been sticking the boot in more. Maybe they are waiting for the wind to turn.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 02:10 PM   #1923
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I wonder if you could count "being utterly incompetent for so long" as "something positive Trump has done".

His administration has been just so damned stupid and ineffective that essentially the US economy has continued to coast uphill for the last few years as a result of Obama's recovery policies from the GFC. Trump's bunch of no-hopers are just so useless that they have had no actual effect on things. They haven't actually been competent enough to screw it up.

Of course, Trump has been claiming this "fabulous strong economy" as his own doing. That's his MO - taking credit for other peoples' work. Reality is they inherited a going concern but have been squabbling about who sits in which chair in the boardroom most of the time and getting fired rather than actually doing any steering and stuff.

At least until recently...when Trump started "Tariff Wars!"
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 12th September 2019 at 02:12 PM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 04:00 PM   #1924
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I'm Canadian. I usually vote for the local conservative party, but I can easily point out things that the Liberal government has done right.

If I were American, I probably would have voted for Obama, but I can pick out things that he did wrong.

On the other hand, I can't think of anything Trump has done right. Maybe that's partisanship, but with other politicians I can easily find things they did right/wrong. Maybe Trump is such a toxic individual that nothing he has done has been right.
Trump has gone one better and specifically tried to undo anything Obama did get right.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 05:12 PM   #1925
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I wonder if you could count "being utterly incompetent for so long" as "something positive Trump has done".

His administration has been just so damned stupid and ineffective that essentially the US economy has continued to coast uphill for the last few years as a result of Obama's recovery policies from the GFC. Trump's bunch of no-hopers are just so useless that they have had no actual effect on things. They haven't actually been competent enough to screw it up.

Of course, Trump has been claiming this "fabulous strong economy" as his own doing. That's his MO - taking credit for other peoples' work. Reality is they inherited a going concern but have been squabbling about who sits in which chair in the boardroom most of the time and getting fired rather than actually doing any steering and stuff.

At least until recently...when Trump started "Tariff Wars!"
He was taking credit for it before even being inaugurated. Which is at least consistent with Republicans blaming Obama for the crash of 2008.

Meanwhile, I just saw him on TV explaining that National Security Advisor is the easiest job in the world. "Because I make all the decisions".
Old 12th September 2019, 05:16 PM   #1926
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He was taking credit for it before even being inaugurated. Which is at least consistent with Republicans blaming Obama for the crash of 2008.

Meanwhile, I just saw him on TV explaining that National Security Advisor is the easiest job in the world. "Because I make all the decisions".
LOL. So those scandalous books that claimed that Trump never listens to anyone and just does what he wants anyway were right all along.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 07:00 PM   #1927
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I do wonder if, even if the stars align and it actually happens, Trump will let himself be impeached or pull a Nixon.
He will never let himself be impeached. He must have control at all times. Even if it comes to the point where he says "I'm fired!!!"
Old 12th September 2019, 11:06 PM   #1928
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I do wonder if, even if the stars align and it actually happens, Trump will let himself be impeached or pull a Nixon.

There isn't a chance he would ever bow out like Nixon. Nixon wasn't anywhere nearly as divorced from reality as Trump. He saw what was coming and took the easiest way out.

Trump, even if confronted with the absolute certainty, would fight to the bitter end, and after the ax fell he'd claim it was all fake news, a deep state plot, and refuse to leave office.

He'll have to be dragged out. Screaming, yelling, and whining all the way.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 01:47 AM   #1929
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There isn't a chance he would ever bow out like Nixon. Nixon wasn't anywhere nearly as divorced from reality as Trump. He saw what was coming and took the easiest way out.

Trump, even if confronted with the absolute certainty, would fight to the bitter end, and after the ax fell he'd claim it was all fake news, a deep state plot, and refuse to leave office.

He'll have to be dragged out. Screaming, yelling, and whining all the way.
Nah, he'll just blame Obama.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 06:57 PM   #1930
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

You can't make this stuff up. Sean Spicer thinks he's being discriminated against on Dancing With The Stars for being a Christian.

ETA: Linky. Apparently he didn't learn about not bearing false witness in Sunday School.

Last edited by Trebuchet; 17th September 2019 at 07:02 PM.
Trebuchet is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 10:31 PM   #1931
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

You can't make this stuff up. Sean Spicer thinks he's being discriminated against on Dancing With The Stars for being a Christian.

ETA: Linky. Apparently he didn't learn about not bearing false witness in Sunday School.

From the news clip I saw, he should be discriminated against for allowing himself to be dressed in that outfit.

And may well have been.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 11:15 PM   #1932
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

I suspect his Christian church will now discriminate against him for dressing like that and cavorting in public!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:38 AM   #1933
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The persecution narrative seems to strike a chord with white, middle aged, upper middle class, cis-male, heterosexual, Christians.

Poor dears having to make their way though life burdened by privilege
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 05:35 AM   #1934
Doubt
Philosopher

Based on the shirt he had on I think the costume people are sabotaging him.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:53 AM   #1935
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

I think it's just a ham-handed attempt to trawl Huckabee's audience of fundies for votes. I don't watch the US version but from what I saw of the UK version (one season), the public vote saves a lot of incompetent dancers. If the only channel to votes is through a few brazillion fundies, he may just be stumping.

(He can't dance and he looks like an idiot in the costume, so his only hope of making it into the later rounds is if the public "saves" him, again assuming that the voting is like the UK version.)

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 06:55 AM   #1936
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post
At this point I'm happy to see him publicly beclowning himself without drawing upon the federal fisc.

May all his former cronies soon follow his example.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:24 PM   #1937
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Doubt View Post

I had the same thought.

But he could have refused to wear it, so I don't see him as uninvolved in the choice.

Old 22nd September 2019, 05:55 AM   #1938
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

3. It's silly and stupid... but I don't hate the way he decorated the White House for Christmas. I've said before that The White House being perpetually stuck in a limbo state of never changing "Quaint Americana on top of Classic Greco-Roman" look that's never allowed to evolve beyond "What if Norman Rockwell threw up on chiseled marble" never set well for me. I won't say I personally liked it on an aesthetic level but seeing a weird, sorta post-modern, almost avante garde look... I didn't hate it.
Melania used the blood of real immigrant children to make the trees red.
Old 24th September 2019, 06:19 PM   #1939
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Now reports that Giulaini was the lead guy on the Ukraine project.
Which means he has just gone to the top of the scapegoat list....

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 08:25 PM   #1940
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I think so. He's going to learn that loyalty is a one-way street with Trump.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2019, 08:26 PM   #1941
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Was just here in this thread to post exactly that.

I suspect his off-the-wall performance with Cuomo the other day was the final nail in his political coffin. That and having screwed up the Ukraine project right royally, causing an impeachment inquiry to drop on Da Boss. I would not be surprised if Donny doesn't want Rudi fired...out of a cannon.
Old 25th September 2019, 01:36 AM   #1942
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Rudy is in the middle of a messy divorce. He can't afford another lawyer.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 06:08 AM   #1943
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I think he's out by the end of the week.

(eta)
Hell, since The PDJT is averse to being impeached (although it won't happen), just the procedures starting might push him over the edge. I'm wondering if (actually hoping) this will be the impetus for him to resign.

Last edited by alfaniner; 25th September 2019 at 06:59 AM.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 06:58 AM   #1944
chrispy
Muse

I just bet a friend Q140 (about 20 bucks or 2 days wages) that Rudy is gone by Friday night. They'll probably wait to the weekend to drop the axe.

Last edited by chrispy; 25th September 2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: edit
chrispy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 09:05 AM   #1945
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
I just bet a friend Q140 (about 20 bucks or 2 days wages) that Rudy is gone by Friday night. They'll probably wait to the weekend to drop the axe.
Friday afternoon trash dump, Saturday morning twitter rant, Sunday morning roundtable fodder.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 03:00 PM   #1946
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I think Barr might have cause for concern also.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th September 2019, 03:02 PM   #1947
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Friday afternoon trash dump, Saturday morning twitter rant, Sunday morning roundtable fodder.
Frankly, surprised that Rudy has stayed around this long, given the amount of bad advice he has given Donnie. ANy normal President would have fired him a long time ago.
But that might be one of Donnie's achilles heels...he values blind loyalry above competence and intelligence.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 25th September 2019, 03:03 PM   #1948
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I think he's out by the end of the week.

(eta)
Hell, since The PDJT is averse to being impeached (although it won't happen), just the procedures starting might push him over the edge. I'm wondering if (actually hoping) this will be the impetus for him to resign.
I think you mean "conviction" instead of being impeached.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:45 AM   #1949
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
From the news clip I saw, he should be discriminated against for allowing himself to be dressed in that outfit.

And may well have been.
I love that he's on dancing with the stars. If you're going to use your life as a cautionary tale, go all in and drive the point home. The Kelly Anne will may be doing a tango to the derision of millions sooner than she thinks.
Old 26th September 2019, 02:48 AM   #1950
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Bolton and the Mooch must be salivating. The time is near to render justice.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:28 PM   #1951
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Bolton and the Mooch must be salivating. The time is near to render justice.
"Justice is coming. And Hell is coming with it"

Wyatt Earp in "Tombstone".

Robert Heinlein.
Old 26th September 2019, 08:10 PM   #1952
a_unique_person

Giuliani has to be next. Trump has used him so many times to do his dirty work that he has become too tainted to be of any further use.
Old 27th September 2019, 02:06 AM   #1953
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Giuliani has to be next. Trump has used him so many times to do his dirty work that he has become too tainted to be of any further use.
I don't think so. He's the guy Trump has to keep close. If anyone has the goods to take down Trump, it's him.
Old 27th September 2019, 02:13 AM   #1954
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Giuliani is the closest thing Trump still has to a Cohen (i.e. Fixer): Roger Stone is out, Pecker is under the microscope, his direct lawyers aren't that daft or well paid.
Most importantly, like Manafort, he works for free, much to the chagrin of Rudy's divorced wife.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:28 PM   #1955
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

I don't see it happening yet. Giuliani seems to be on message with Trump.

By which I mean he's bleating incoherently, I guess.

The one thing that might irk Trump is Giuliani's insistence that he's the hero of the story. Obviously, Trump has a different opinion there.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:30 PM   #1956
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I don't see it happening yet. Giuliani seems to be on message with Trump.

By which I mean he's bleating incoherently, I guess.

The one thing that might irk Trump is Giuliani's insistence that he's the hero of the story. Obviously, Trump has a different opinion there.
Trump will reprimand him in private. I agree that Trump won't fire Giuliani. It's either keep him or have him meet with an 'accident'.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2019, 02:44 PM   #1957
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Giuliani is the closest thing Trump still has to a Cohen (i.e. Fixer): Roger Stone is out, Pecker is under the microscope, his direct lawyers aren't that daft or well paid.
Most importantly, like Manafort, he works for free, much to the chagrin of Rudy's divorced wife.
Has Giuliani ever actually fixed anything?
Old 27th September 2019, 03:53 PM   #1958
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Has Giuliani ever actually fixed anything?
He's the hero of 9/11. Just ask him.

Seriously, is he insane, or just senile?

Hah trick question! It's both!
Old 27th September 2019, 04:38 PM   #1959
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I love that he's on dancing with the stars. If you're going to use your life as a cautionary tale, go all in and drive the point home. The Kelly Anne will may be doing a tango to the derision of millions sooner than she thinks.
Out of curorisity I watched Spicer on Dancing With The Stars, and Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly he ain't....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 27th September 2019, 04:41 PM   #1960
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

It must be really, really awakard when Pompeo and Giuliani are in the same room after Giuliani 's dissing Pompeo big time yesterday.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics