ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Congressional hearings , donald trump , impeachment , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th August 2019, 05:12 PM   #201
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The guy is 70 years old. Whatever he was going to become, he became long ago. If his ego really were fragile, it would have shattered in 2000, if not before. I think the more likely problem is that Trump's ego is more or less impervious to damage.

Wow, you're still spreading this fallacy??

"He was going to become President in 2017, therefore he became President long ago!"

"He is now senile and suffering from dementia, therefore he became senile and started suffering from dementia long ago!"

Not to mention it is well known that dementia can change a person's personality.

Some people are incapable of learning.

LMFAO!!!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 05:33 PM   #202
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Also unlikely that he did any money laundering.
Why do you think that? It's pretty obvious he's been engaged in shady financial practices for decades, including close dealings with an organization (Duetsche Bank) that's been shown to engage in massive amounts of money laundering.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:40 PM   #203
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Why do you think that? It's pretty obvious he's been engaged in shady financial practices for decades, including close dealings with an organization (Duetsche Bank) that's been shown to engage in massive amounts of money laundering.
I think Trump, personally, really wasn't on the ball enough to notice where the money was coming from. Or you could say he "turned a blind eye". Probably enough to establish plausible deniability.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 08:05 PM   #204
Delvo
الشيطان الأبيض

We can't use his current lack of awareness of anything happening around him as a sign that he wasn't aware of stuff his company did years ago. He wasn't always like this.
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:40 PM   #205
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
We can't use his current lack of awareness of anything happening around him as a sign that he wasn't aware of stuff his company did years ago. He wasn't always like this.
I'm reminded of the moment from one of the presidential debate a few years ago, when Hillary Clinton pointed out that it was possible Trump hadn't paid taxes in years and tried to shame him. His response was "that makes me smart."

I've always seen him as clearly a guy that's aware of the possibility of financial shenanigans, knows he's been involved in such activities for some time, and sees it as necessary and good. Yes, he's probably always been somewhat clueless as to what people he hires to manage his money do with it (after all, that's why he pays them), but he knows enough to know that keeping it requires some shady things. Which is why he hires them in the first place; that's something people that rich just do - hire people to figure out how to maximize the amount of money they can hoard. If that happens through laundering, it doesn't really matter if he didn't do it personally, it was still done in his interest, and with his say-so.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 06:51 AM   #206
Marcus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
I'm reminded of the moment from one of the presidential debate a few years ago, when Hillary Clinton pointed out that it was possible Trump hadn't paid taxes in years and tried to shame him. His response was "that makes me smart."

I've always seen him as clearly a guy that's aware of the possibility of financial shenanigans, knows he's been involved in such activities for some time, and sees it as necessary and good. Yes, he's probably always been somewhat clueless as to what people he hires to manage his money do with it (after all, that's why he pays them), but he knows enough to know that keeping it requires some shady things. Which is why he hires them in the first place; that's something people that rich just do - hire people to figure out how to maximize the amount of money they can hoard. If that happens through laundering, it doesn't really matter if he didn't do it personally, it was still done in his interest, and with his say-so.
It depends on what you mean by "doesn't really matter". If the question is will he end up in prison for it ( after his term or terms are over) the answer is probably not.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 07:09 AM   #207
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
Laundering money with a wilful blindness that that's what you're doing is just as illegal as laundering money knowingly. Companies in the US have to take steps to ensure that they're not laundering money.
Old 27th August 2019, 09:07 AM   #208
plague311
Great minds think...

Pretty good article breaking down the pressure House Dems are getting from their constituents on both sides of the coin.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...s-2020-1475728

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 09:11 AM   #209
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I think that was theprestige's point, really.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 09:38 AM   #210
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I think that was theprestige's point, really.

Not in the way he intended.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 10:19 AM   #211
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Not in the way he intended.
Exactly in the way I intended, actually.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th August 2019, 11:01 AM   #212
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Exactly in the way I intended, actually.
You intended to mean that some people never seem to learn the fact that other people can change who they are in old age??? Nonsense. Indeed, you were the specific one claiming people don't change who they are in old age. I've instructed you on how you were wrong on this before, yet obviously you never learned that in spite of my teaching you. That's what my words intended; your words obviously intended something quite different (and wrong).
Old 27th August 2019, 11:24 AM   #213
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

And let's also be sure to note the difference in quantifiers between what I intended versus what theprestige intended:

The guy is 70 years old. Whatever he was going to become, he became long ago. If his ego really were fragile, it would have shattered in 2000, if not before. I think the more likely problem is that Trump's ego is more or less impervious to damage.
It seems rather clear to me there is an implicit universal quantifier in the highlighted portion, which can be paraphrased as follows: Anybody that is 70 years old became what they are long ago.

In fact, it's specifically the quantifier that I quibble with: It's quite clearly not universally true, as I explained in a previous post. I would agree it's true of some people, certainly. Indeed, in the quote of mine that is being focused on I explicitly used an existential quantifier:

So, in addition to the distinction between my intended meaning and theprestige's intended meaning that I've already covered we also have a distinction in our use of quantifiers: I correctly used an existential quantifier, as opposed to the improper use of the universal by theprestige.

LOL!
Old 12th September 2019, 03:28 PM   #214
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Taken from another poster in the main Trump thread: Impeachment proceedings are officially a go
Old 12th September 2019, 04:22 PM   #215
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

It's still too early. There's a risk of scandal fatigue and the hearings losing impact before the election. They should have started after the Christmas recess. That way they could time it so the trial in the Senate would be held by the post election congress.
Old 12th September 2019, 04:29 PM   #216
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Taken from another poster in the main Trump thread: Impeachment proceedings are officially a go
Looks like it's still just the impeachment proceedings proceedings, so far.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 04:48 PM   #217
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
It's still too early. There's a risk of scandal fatigue and the hearings losing impact before the election. They should have started after the Christmas recess. That way they could time it so the trial in the Senate would be held by the post election congress.
Which "post-election congress"? There's a session between the election and the new term starting on Jan. 2 (or thereabouts) which is termed the "lame duck" session because members who won't be in place later are still there. That would mean it's constituted the same as today.
Or if it's the new congress in January, why bother? Either Trump will have been defeated and will be gone in three weeks; or if he's won he'll undoubtedly have continued control of the House of McConnell.

Or did you mean last year's Christmas recess? I'm confused.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:12 PM   #218
angrysoba
Philosophile

Quick question.

What charge should Trump be impeached on?

Collusion or obstruction?

Or both?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:15 PM   #219
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
That puts paid to any notion that an impeachment hearing is about justice.
Old 12th September 2019, 08:28 PM   #220
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Quick question.

Or both?
High Crimes and Misdemeanors.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th September 2019, 08:29 PM   #221
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post

Timing events for maximal impact is not mutually exclusive with justice.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:56 PM   #222
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Quick question.

Or both?
How about corruption to the nth degree, money laundering, trying to manipulate interest rates to benefit himself and his family and obstruction.
Old 12th September 2019, 09:58 PM   #223
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Because this is all political, Trump is an angel.
Old 12th September 2019, 10:15 PM   #224
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Impeachment is not about justice since it's not a judicial process - that can come after an Impeachment.
All that Impeachment requires is a majority of Congress agreeing that what the President is doing is something a President shouldn't do - a Misdemeanor, according to the Constitution, is sufficient to justify the process.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 12:20 AM   #225
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Because this is all political, Trump is an angel.
You are half right. Trump is no angel though I can't tell if he is more dishonest than past presidents - just more blatant.

It seems that the purpose of the impeachment is simply to give him unfavourable publicity and hopefully make him lose the election. Making him face legal sanctions for his wrong doings seems almost irrelevant.
Old 13th September 2019, 12:28 AM   #226
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

You are half right. Trump is no angel though I can't tell if he is more dishonest than past presidents - just more blatant.

It seems that the purpose of the impeachment is simply to give him unfavourable publicity and hopefully make him lose the election. Making him face legal sanctions for his wrong doings seems almost irrelevant.
Strong disagree.

Trump got into the race to make money. Running for President has been a way to quickly raise cash and get free publicity for many election cycles.

The only way to dissuade future profiteers from seeking high political office is to make it costly for them by holding them legally accountable for their crimes.
We won't get another Trump if as a result of the Investigations Trump loses all his wealth.
Old 13th September 2019, 03:25 AM   #227
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Strong disagree.

Trump got into the race to make money. Running for President has been a way to quickly raise cash and get free publicity for many election cycles.

The only way to dissuade future profiteers from seeking high political office is to make it costly for them by holding them legally accountable for their crimes.
We won't get another Trump if as a result of the Investigations Trump loses all his wealth.
Where did you get this rubbish from?

There is no profit in becoming POTUS. It is extremely costly to run and this is the main reason why only the seriously wealthy can afford to try. Many ex-presidents have to go on the speaking circuit in order to service the debt they incurred from running for office.

Trump doesn't have to spend a dime on his defence. The Senate wouldn't vote against Trump if they had video footage of every crime that Trump was accused of.

Last edited by psionl0; 13th September 2019 at 03:27 AM.
psionl0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 03:46 AM   #228
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Justice can come once he's out of office. Right now, for the good of the country, we just need him out office without regard to right or wrong. Any legal means to remove Trump from office should be applied without regard to fairness, decency or any sense of morality. The ends justify the means.
Old 13th September 2019, 03:47 AM   #229
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

He can be indicted once out of office. They aren't mutually exclusive.
Old 13th September 2019, 04:01 AM   #230
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There is the post-White House era for Trump, when State Prosecutors can unload on him for everything 10min-President Pence didn't pardon him for.
And Trump IS making money being POTUS, as the fact that his Washington Hotel hasn't folded yet proves.
Old 13th September 2019, 04:26 AM   #231
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Oh, in that case you're simply not paying attention. That's your problem right there.
Old 13th September 2019, 04:29 AM   #232
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

There is no profit in becoming POTUS. It is extremely costly to run and this is the main reason why only the seriously wealthy can afford to try. Many ex-presidents have to go on the speaking circuit in order to service the debt they incurred from running for office.

Trump doesn't have to spend a dime on his defence. The Senate wouldn't vote against Trump if they had video footage of every crime that Trump was accused of.

Oh yeah, most definitely not paying attention.
Old 13th September 2019, 05:25 AM   #233
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

There is no profit in becoming POTUS. It is extremely costly to run and this is the main reason why only the seriously wealthy can afford to try.
Were you asleep during 2015-2016? Trump never wanted to become president.

He spent barely any of his own money on it. He got most of his publicity through the free media coverage for being the joke celebrity candidate. His plan was to start his own media company, Trump TV, banking on his exposure from being a former presidential candidate.

Why else do you think he prepared so hard for his own loss with claims of election fraud and had absolutely no plans in place for if he won?
Old 13th September 2019, 06:37 AM   #234
plague311
Great minds think...

Uhm, huh? The secret service had to rent out space that was previously not rented in Trump Tower to monitor his family in New York. He repeatedly flies to his own properties on the weekends and charges the secret service to stay there, full price, along with his staff. Foreign individuals visiting the White House are staying at his actual hotels, as previously mentioned. There is an investigation that's started by the military to find out why they are, all of a sudden, landing at random airports just to stay at Trump resorts.

I believe you meant to say "there SHOULDN'T be profit" in becoming POTUS. As Trump has shown you absolutely can profit a lot off of being POTUS.

That's awesome, sometimes that isn't always the goal. Get them on record having to defend Trump's various crimes and several of those people that are fencesitters might not be so comfortable sitting anymore.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss

Last edited by plague311; 13th September 2019 at 06:38 AM.
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 08:36 AM   #235
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
His plan was to start his own media company, Trump TV, banking on his exposure from being a former presidential candidate.
Belated sourcing:
Jared Kushner Talks of a Trump TV Network With a Media Deal Maker
EXCLUSIVE: IS DONALD TRUMP’S ENDGAME THE LAUNCH OF TRUMP NEWS?
The Donald Trump TV Network Could Be Just Three Months Away
Old 13th September 2019, 04:31 PM   #236
Stacyhs
Philosopher

No president since the 1970's had failed to divest himself from his business (like Carter selling his peanut farm) and/or put his properties into a blind trust. Trump failed to do either. To say he is not making money from being POTUS is both false and illogical. It's naive to think he is not still intimately involved in his companies through his children. IMO, his extreme narcissism would not allow him to give up his control and his pathological lying prevents any denial from him that he is not involved from being believed.

Quote:
Trump could honor the name law* by doing what every president since the 1970s has done voluntarily: sell off his assets, in particular his interests in his brand, and replace them with holdings in a blind trust, the contents of which would remain unknown to him; or he could replace them with Treasury bills and index funds whose value he couldn’t affect in any direct way, as President Obama has done.
Quote:
Introduced in the Ethics Reform Act of 1989, it prohibits any senior “noncareer officer” of the government from permitting his or her name to be “used” by any firm that “provides professional services involving a fiduciary relationship.” While the conflict-of-interest statutes exempt the president, the text of the use-of-name law does not, though its use in court would require the repeal of a 25-year-old executive-branch regulation that does exempt the president and vice president. As important, Congress explicitly said this statute was meant to ban the use of an officer’s name not only in traditional fiduciary-based firms, such as law partnerships, but in a range of other ventures including “real estate, consulting and advising, [and] architecture.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...terest/503333/
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 04:43 PM   #237
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You lost me. What exactly does "intimately involved" entail?
Old 13th September 2019, 05:28 PM   #238
Stacyhs
Philosopher

You lost me. What exactly does "intimately involved" entail?
That he is directly, personally, secretly involved in the running of his businesses through his children et al.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th September 2019, 05:33 PM   #239
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Lawsuit against Trump enrichment moves forward

Quote:
WASHINGTON — A federal appeals court Friday breathed new life into a lawsuit claiming that President Donald Trump's profiting from restaurants and hotels patronized by government officials violates the Constitution.

In late 2017, a judge threw the case out, concluding that the groups behind the lawsuit did not have a legal right to bring the challenge over a violation of the Constitution's emoluments clause, which forbids a president to receive financial benefits from foreign or domestic governments.

But by a 2-1 vote, a panel of the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in New York said the judge was wrong to dismiss the case and sent it back with instructions to continue with the lawsuit. It was brought by a group of restaurant and hotel owners who say that both foreign and state government officials patronize Trump hotels and restaurants to curry favor from the president, putting them at a competitive disadvantage and hurting their businesses.

"The president's establishments offer government patrons something that the plaintiffs cannot: the opportunity, by enriching the president, to obtain favorable governmental treatment from the president and the executive branch," the appeals court said.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/pol...esses-n1054231
Old 13th September 2019, 05:55 PM   #240
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
That he is directly, personally, secretly involved in the running of his businesses through his children et al.
There's nothing secret about it. If he were out of the business entirely, he wouldn't have pitched his bedbug infested resort in Florida at the G-7.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics