ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew Bolt , autism , environmental activists , Greta Thunberg

Old 18th September 2019, 11:25 AM   #721
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That moment when BobTheCoward agrees 100% with Thunberg's message.
I haven't had an issue with her message. I object to how she chooses to express it.

ETA: You might be thinking of someone else?

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 18th September 2019 at 11:28 AM.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:22 PM   #722
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I haven't had an issue with her message. I object to how she chooses to express it.

The perennial right-wing dodge; "I can't accept anything you say because you say it in a way that I don't like." I'm just waiting for the whines of "Civility!"

Yawnorama.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:28 PM   #723
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by luchog View Post
The perennial right-wing dodge; "I can't accept anything you say because you say it in a way that I don't like." I'm just waiting for the whines of "Civility!"

Yawnorama.
I haven't commented on her positions. I have no opinion on them.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:34 PM   #724
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

By actually speaking into a microphone somebody puts in her hand? I agree; the nerve!
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:35 PM   #725
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

By actually speaking into a microphone somebody puts in her hand? I agree; the nerve!
Yes
Old 18th September 2019, 10:16 PM   #726
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by HarryHenderson View Post
The ISF« - Your First Choice In Echo Chambers of Bad IdeasÖ
Greta, Greta, Greta, .... ∞!!!

https://www.euronews.com/2019/09/18/...-italian-field
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 10:41 PM   #727
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Clearly biased:

she wants a habitable world for herself after the people in Congress have died off.

The people in Congress may consider contacting scientists to help their descendants grow gills.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
14 Year-Old Girl: Don't listen to me, listen to scientists!

Congress: Hold my beer.

16, but age doesn't really matter. Menbers of Congess don't listen to science. They seem to listen exclusively to the people who bribe them. That is the point of democratic elections: You make people elect you, so that you'll be the one to get paid big bucks by industry.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:35 PM   #728
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Menbers of Congess
Freudian typo?

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:29 AM   #729
dann
Philosopher

Yes, not intended at all!

I can recommend this new clip from Samantha Bee about the role of the Koch brothers in global warming:
Meet the Rich: The Koch Brothers, Full Frontal

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:24 AM   #730
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

ETA: You might be thinking of someone else?
Isn't she free to express her opinion? She is only testifying before a congressional committee, like thousands have done before her.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 03:55 AM   #731
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
https://www.aspergerstestsite.com/aq-test/

To take the Aspergerĺs test please answer the statements below and determine how strongly you agree or disagree with the statements. At the end of the test you will be given a score to indicate where you score on the spectrum.
I scored 37, which does not totally surprise me. i have never been tested but have thought for some time that some of my behaviours do echo my layperson's idea of what being on the autistic spectrum is. Amusingly, I'm too anxious to phone my GP to make an appointment about this. My DLA was stopped last year. According to the examiner, I "seemed okay on the day". (My friend gave me a lift.) That statement prompted a bit of a nervous breakdown.

Anyway, that's enough about me. Back to reading the thread.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:00 AM   #732
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Isn't she free to express her opinion? She is only testifying before a congressional committee, like thousands have done before her.
A) strawman. I never questioned if she should be free to do so. I'm calling the platform she is being provided a waste of resources

B) I object to many of those thousands, also.
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:43 AM   #733
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
So who here is interested i following Thunberg's lead and making a public deceleration vowing never to fly again ?
So no takers on the Greta Thunberg challenge ? A week or two in the Maldives is more important that dealing with this "climate emergency". That's OK, Greta Thunberg sailed for your sins.

This environmental activism is far, far easier than I thought it would be.

Somebody should do something !!

Woo Hoo, I'm an activist.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 06:59 AM   #734
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
So no takers on the Greta Thunberg challenge ? A week or two in the Maldives is more important that dealing with this "climate emergency". That's OK, Greta Thunberg sailed for your sins.

This environmental activism is far, far easier than I thought it would be.

Somebody should do something !!

Woo Hoo, I'm an activist.
Most of the world has made that pledge.
Old 22nd September 2019, 07:15 AM   #735
philkensebben
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Common Potato View Post
I scored 37, which does not totally surprise me. i have never been tested but have thought for some time that some of my behaviours do echo my layperson's idea of what being on the autistic spectrum is. Amusingly, I'm too anxious to phone my GP to make an appointment about this. My DLA was stopped last year. According to the examiner, I "seemed okay on the day". (My friend gave me a lift.) That statement prompted a bit of a nervous breakdown.

Anyway, that's enough about me. Back to reading the thread.
I scored 33.

I hate meeting new people and social situations generally freak me out, so I guess that resulted in the fairly high score. Or I could have Aspergers Syndrome I guess. Meh. Life goes on.
philkensebben is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:01 AM   #736
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by philkensebben View Post
I scored 33.

I hate meeting new people and social situations generally freak me out, so I guess that resulted in the fairly high score. Or I could have Aspergers Syndrome I guess. Meh. Life goes on.
I'm okay when I actually meet them. It's thought of doing so that's worrying.
The Common Potato is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:04 AM   #737
The Common Potato
Scholar

I've got to the end of the thread

I might be wrong but I think the question cullenz has been asking is: Of the predicted rise in temperature, what percentage is due to natural variation and how much is due to our behaviour?
Old 22nd September 2019, 08:54 AM   #738
sackett
Philosopher

Aw. I only got a 22. And it's SUCH a scientifical test! Right here on the intronet!

And that funny-looking kid is doing good work.

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:16 AM   #739
Stout
Illuminator

Most of the world has made that pledge.
They're just faking it. Get a few drinks into them and they'll freely admit the treason they're not jet setting around the world is because they can't afford it.

Just look at me for example. I'm saving the world by refusing to own a 300 foot yacht. Go me
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 09:37 AM   #740
The Common Potato
Scholar

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Aw. I only got a 22. And it's SUCH a scientifical test! Right here on the intronet!

And that funny-looking kid is doing good work.
Lucky I Don't think it is!
Old 22nd September 2019, 12:48 PM   #741
Venom
Illuminator

The denier freakout over Greta is so funny!

The lowest way to attempt to discredit someone is to claim she's being "controlled" (GASP) , like she doesn't have aspirations of her own. Again the babyfaced appearance might have a lot to do with it but it's just amusing as hell. Or it would be if the issue wasn't so serious.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd September 2019, 02:55 PM   #742
The Common Potato
Scholar

Approximately 25 years condensed into a few sentences...

This very site is responsible to some extent for my not being a denier any more. Give yourself a big pat on the back.

Al Gore's and others' "the science is settled"-style statements all those years ago led me to shout "Eh? Science is never settled." As I have no disbelief in evolution, the Big Bang theory of cosmological 'evolution', relativity, quantum stuff etc, I was unable to explain to myself why i had this problem with global warming. I'd read a few anti-AGW books by authors who i now realise are thought to be, at best, controversialists: Christophers Booker and Plimer for example. I'd also read Bj°rn Lomborg's The Skeptical Environmentalist. Edit: I did think some of the reactions to those who did doubt were somewhat extreme. Eg, the reactions to Lomborg's book.

I rationalised all this to myself by accepting any science on, say, sea level changes in Bognor Regis, temperature changes in local areas, etc. At the same time, the IPCC were, in their assessment reports for policymakers not 'doing science' but being political.

I came across International Skeptics about four or five years ago, when The One With the Whales was the current JFK thread. (Someone on https://www.apollohoax.net/ had referenced his site.) Having read a lot - far too many - of the threads in the conspiracy section, I realised that I was doing the very same thing with climate change as woo-followers do with their particular alternative histories. I was taking heed of any anomaly and ignoring the vast bulk of evidence.

Sacrilegious, but Richard Feynman is a smidgeon to blame. His quote: "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." can easily be misunderstood to mean if anyone finds any error, chuck it all out.

I would say that off-hand dismissal doesn't work when trying to persuade. It's ineffective with Truthers and the like and probably will fail with non-mainstream people of all sorts.

I appreciate that there's a stand-alone thread for this sort of stuff, but I hope the mods will leave this post here.

Edit: The amusing final straw was the meme that climate change was invented so that 'they'- yup, them again - could tax us. In my limited experience, governments of all hues don't need much of an excuse to raise taxes. A massive CT seems unnecessary.

Last edited by The Common Potato; 22nd September 2019 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Middle bit and last bit.
Old 22nd September 2019, 03:41 PM   #743
8enotto
Graduate Poster

I seen the writing on the wall with mandatory recycling in most of the US. Impractical at many levels and it showed the short sighted solutions many embraced.

Saving the resources, reusing them required a plan and a consumer for the products. Thirty years later it has happened in Mexico at least, plastics are in high demand here.

The flap about in 2030 some major cities worldwide will be all electric cars is ambitious, but in 2019 I cannot see any plans kicking in to get those vehicles on the roads. It wouldn't be hard to retrofit current models.

So much we could do but we aren't. It would break the routine of life.
8enotto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:32 AM   #744
Checkmite

Greta Thunberg has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Although to be fair this doesn't mean too much; while not just anybody can nominate a candidate, the class of qualified nominators isn't so exclusive that a nomination in and of itself is necessarily some kind of accolade.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:35 AM   #745
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Greta Thunberg has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Although to be fair this doesn't mean too much; while not just anybody can nominate a candidate, the class of qualified nominators isn't so exclusive that a nomination in and of itself is necessarily some kind of accolade.
Kind of a shoe-in, to be honest. At least for a nomination.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 04:40 AM   #746
Checkmite

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing her win.
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:01 AM   #747
dann
Philosopher

Several women already won the Nobel Peace Prize in this decade, some of them very young: Nobel Peace Prize laureates (Wikipedia).
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:08 AM   #748
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
you sure?

she is up against Trump, after all.

Trump would never lose against a little girl, right?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 05:52 AM   #749
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

The Peace Prize is a joke. Kissinger was awarded a peace prize and he ought to have been jailed as a war criminal for his actions during the Vietnam War. There are other examples, but that one alone seems enough to discredit the whole venture.

I mean no smear against Thunberg mentioning such things in regards to her nomination.
Old 23rd September 2019, 06:32 AM   #750
luchog
Neo-Post-Retro-Revivalist

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
The Peace Prize is a joke. Kissinger was awarded a peace prize and he ought to have been jailed as a war criminal for his actions during the Vietnam War. There are other examples, but that one alone seems enough to discredit the whole venture.

Between Kissenger and terrorist leader Yasser Arafat, yeah the Nobel Peace Prize has pretty much become a joke.
When you say that fascists should only be defeated through debate, what you're really saying is that the marginalized and vulnerable should have to endlessly argue for their right to exist; and at no point should they ever be fully accepted, and the debate considered won.
luchog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:17 AM   #751
dann
Philosopher

And it will make Trump even angrier at her if she is awarded the prize that he's hoping to win, Nobel Peace Prize laureates weigh in on Trump's chance of winning, probably the only reason why he hasn't bombed Iran yet.
Old 23rd September 2019, 08:24 AM   #752
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yasser Arafat and Barack Obama come to mind.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:28 AM   #753
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

A fine speech but the UN is probably not the right target.

If I were the UN, here would be my reply.

"We exist as a body because the 30 years leading up to our formation we just straight murdered 10s of millions. like five percent of the people were killed. Global warming is a problem because we succeed in solving the first problem. You're welcome."

Not endorsing that the UN fixed anything, but they probably think they did.
Old 23rd September 2019, 11:38 AM   #754
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad
There should be a major public prize specifically for achievement in environmental politics, economics, engineering, or science.

It doesn't matter whether or not Thunberg ever wins one. It would just be nice to see candidates recognized and considered.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:25 PM   #755
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
There should be a major public prize specifically for achievement in environmental politics,
Specifically for environmental politics? We already have one for political achievement in general - the Nobel Peace Prize. As you'd expect of a prestigious award for political achievement, it's a clown car of virtue signaling and naive aspiration.

Quote:
economics, engineering, or science.
We already have major public prizes for these. They're even still pretty reputable.

Quote:
It doesn't matter whether or not Thunberg ever wins one. It would just be nice to see candidates recognized and considered.
I don't think it does Thunberg any favors to try to associate her with the NPP. I doubt it would do serious climate change activists any favors to be associated with a similar environment-specific prize. Except as a merit badge in the eyes of people who are already on board with their message and convinced of their virtue. Like Obama's Peace Prize. Some people who already thought Obama was the bee's knees though the NPP was a nice bit of recognition for his "achievements". But for a lot of people, including a lot of Obama supporters, it just diminished the prestige of the NPP itself, to be awarded so frivolously.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:40 PM   #756
Myriad
Hyperthetical

We already have major public prizes for these. They're even still pretty reputable.

I was unclear. The modifier "environmental" is supposed to apply to each category.
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:47 PM   #757
dann
Philosopher

Yasser Arafat and Barack Obama come to mind.

But you forget the politicians that Yasser Arafat shared the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize with, Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin.
It's not because you're anti-Semitic, is it?!
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:48 PM   #758
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I doubt it would do serious climate change activists any favors to be associated with a similar environment-specific prize. Except as a merit badge in the eyes of people who are already on board with their message and convinced of their virtue.

I'm having some trouble sorting through your meaning here. Are you suggesting that there cannot possibly be any actual virtue in environmental activism?

I mean, if you substitute a different field of endeavor...

"I doubt it would do serious particle physicists any favors to be associated with a similar physics-specific prize. Except as a merit badge in the eyes of people who are already on board with particle physics and convinced of its value."
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:49 PM   #759
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
I was unclear. The modifier "environmental" is supposed to apply to each category.
I owe you an apology. I knew what you meant. Sorry.

So perhaps you have in mind something like these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyler_...al_Achievement
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global..._Citizen_Award
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldma...onmental_Prize
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroes_of_the_Environment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ds#Environment
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_500_Roll_of_Honour
Old 23rd September 2019, 12:51 PM   #760
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dann View Post
But you forget the politicians that Yasser Arafat shared the 1994 Nobel Peace Prize with, Shimon Peres and Yitzhak Rabin.
It's not because you're anti-Semitic, is it?!
I don't know what this means.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events