ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 20th August 2019, 05:55 AM   #201
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I might go to a Trump event if I were paid for it. I wouldn't promise not to laugh sarcastically or make faces, though.
Old 20th August 2019, 06:00 AM   #202
TofuFighter
Master Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
You are correct. It's worse. They are not getting paid their normal wage unless they attend Trump's event.
He is also correct in saying that this is not a rent-a-crowd.
TofuFighter is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:02 AM   #203
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I might go to a Trump event if I were paid for it. I wouldn't promise not to laugh sarcastically or make faces, though.
The workers who were "encouraged" to go to the trump speech were specifically told how to act... No protests, stay silent, etc.

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:05 AM   #204
Belz...
Fiend God

You are correct. It's worse. They are not getting paid their normal wage unless they attend Trump's event.
This isn't a contest. Sure, it's worse. But it's not the same thing, which was my point.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:08 AM   #205
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I was recently (reluctantly) in Miami for work. On the way to a meeting I stopped at the intersection in front of the Trump Dorral golf resort. I had my GPS ap turned on as this was my first time driving in Miami. Now, I'm getting texts for me to take a survey about my stay at Trump's resort. Can you imagine the humiliation? To be associated with his kind? He's not really even a person. I'd never give that sort of scum my money let alone allow decent people to think I was in any way associated with his property. Fortunately, so far the messages haven't come up when I was around friends and real Americans. You'd think me responding by calling Trump the son of a pig ****** whore and an uppity boy who needs to learn his place around his betters would have stopped the texts. Still, since I've been given an avenue to insult Trump and his family, I'll continue to take it.

Patriotism is hurting Trump every chance you get.
It's a really nice resort. I stayed there in 2015 for a meeting. There was a problem with my initial room, and they moved me up to the Gary Player suite or something and sent me a bottle of Trump champagne and some fresh fruit. I brought the bottle home for some friends to open on New Year's that year.

You sound a little unhinged by an automated text process. Maybe try a little relaxation breathing.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:08 AM   #206
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
What do you mean "how"? It's not the same thing, ergo it's different.

Scenario 1: "Hey, man. Wanna make some money? Come to this rally and I'll pay you 200 bucks!"
Scenario 2: "Don't forget to come to the auditorium tomorrow, rather than your cubicle. If you don't come, you won't get the overtime pay. You're still paid as per usual, however. It's not mandatory."

Those are two completely different things. I don't know how else to explain it to you.
In what meaningful way is it different? The sequence of words used to describe the event alone is not meaningful.

McHrozni
Old 20th August 2019, 06:09 AM   #207
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
In what meaningful way is it different?
For pete's sake, man. They are different IN EVERY WAY. Are you trolling me?

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:10 AM   #208
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post
It's a coherced crowd, true. That is not different than rent-a-crowd as far as what it means for the candidate goes.

McHrozni
Old 20th August 2019, 06:12 AM   #209
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
It's a coherced crowd, true. That is not different than rent-a-crowd as far as what it means for the candidate goes.
Ah, so it IS different in a major way, but not really.

Old 20th August 2019, 06:14 AM   #210
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
The workers who were "encouraged" to go to the trump speech were specifically told how to act... No protests, stay silent, etc.
"I couldn't help yawning, I was tired from being up all night from excitement about seeing Trump!"
Old 20th August 2019, 06:18 AM   #211
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

How does proximity trigger texts anyway? Doesn't something need to know your phone number to send things to it? As far as I know you can't pick up phone numbers of nearby phones as you please. Apps that have a proximity feature can detect each other (more or less, the dating one I use once said there were 61,740 men within ten feet of me. I'm certain I would have noticed them) but surely those apps and that feature are voluntary?
Old 20th August 2019, 06:24 AM   #212
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Scenario 2: "Don't forget to come to the auditorium tomorrow, rather than your cubicle. If you don't come, you won't get the overtime pay. You're still paid as per usual, however. It's not mandatory."
The people who did not attend the Trump rally were not paid for that day of work at all. They had to stay home.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:28 AM   #213
WilliamSeger
Philosopher

Much worse. Creating a false display of support is bad enough, but using a stick instead of a carrot is employee abuse.
WilliamSeger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 06:29 AM   #214
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

How does proximity trigger texts anyway? Doesn't something need to know your phone number to send things to it? As far as I know you can't pick up phone numbers of nearby phones as you please. Apps that have a proximity feature can detect each other (more or less, the dating one I use once said there were 61,740 men within ten feet of me. I'm certain I would have noticed them) but surely those apps and that feature are voluntary?

He said he was using his GPS. I expect it wasn't an actual "text", but an app notification. As others have said, this is a common result of using Google Maps. They often ask you to rate places you've been, which, because of their crappy algorithm, often includes places that you've merely been near. I get at least one of these a week.

I usually just ignore them, but they do have an option to say "I've never been there" if you care enough to tell them that. This option alone tells us they know their algorithm is crap, but it's probably easier to let the users just ignore such requests than actually fix it.
Old 20th August 2019, 06:31 AM   #215
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
The people who did not attend the Trump rally were not paid for that day of work at all. They had to stay home.
That's what I thought as well at first but further information seems to say otherwise.

Old 20th August 2019, 06:37 AM   #216
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Another option should have been offered -- that being to stay and do their regular work. Except, if it was on a line that was shut down for the day that would not be on the table.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:02 AM   #217
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by The Greater Fool View Post
If they didn't attend the rally, they got an 'excused day off', which means it won't count against them. If they chose and had it available, they could use Vacation or PTO. So, they lose 1 day of regular pay.

Since they didn't work that day, on Friday their normal overtime hours would be calculated as regular time. So they lose 1 day of overtime pay.

ETA: I thought I'd do more math: Assume $30 per hour below

Note: The workers by contract work 56 hours a week, with 16 of that as overtime: 56 = 40 x 1.0 + 16 x 1.5. = 64 hours of pay. $1920

The people not at the rally, at best, got 56 hours = 40 x 1.0 + 8 x 1.5 + 8 Vacation/PTO. = 60 hours of pay. $1800

If they didn't use Vacation/PTO, 48 hours = 40 x 1.0 + 8 x 1.5 = 52 hours of pay. $1560

Plug in any value for hourly wage, and you will see the impact.

ETA: up to $360 lost to employee.
Up a little from there, apparently.

Quote:
One union leader reached Friday who asked not to be named because he did not want to make trouble for his workers said one day of work might amount to about $700 in pay, benefits and a per diem payment that out-of-town workers receive.
Given the contents of the Trump time, of course, there's the distinct question - would this actually be a campaign finance violation? That's a lot of pay time that's being given, before getting to all the rest.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:05 AM   #218
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Given the contents of the Trump time, of course, there's the distinct question - would this actually be a campaign finance violation? That's a lot of pay time that's being given, before getting to all the rest.
Only if this was a campaign event as it was normal presidential duties it can't possibly be a campaign finance violation now can it?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 07:12 AM   #219
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

The one thing to be made clear here is that this was NOT something Trump or his campaign actually did. It was the company who was responsible.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:40 AM   #220
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

You'd have to make a case that this was a political campaign event and not an official speech from the president. You know and I know that it was largely if not primarily a campaign event, but it's on the taxpayer dime and so I imagine that one has to make an argument here.

There is, then, two distinct issues. First, it should have been paid for by the campaign, not the taxpayer. Second, the company paying employees to attend violated campaign laws. I'd say the first argument has to be made before the second.

Of course, nothing will happen.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 07:45 AM   #221
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Clinton's not taking any prisoners:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...78770587721729

Quote:
Wow, Report Just Out! Google manipulated from 2.6 million to 16 million votes for Hillary Clinton in 2016 Election! This was put out by a Clinton supporter, not a Trump Supporter! Google should be sued. My victory was even bigger than thought! @JudicialWatch
https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/s...32937377320961

Quote:
The debunked study you’re referring to was based on 21 undecided voters. For context that’s about half the number of people associated with your campaign who have been indicted.
Old 20th August 2019, 07:48 AM   #222
Belz...
Fiend God

Ouch!

Old 20th August 2019, 07:53 AM   #223
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
That was so money. I chortled when I read that.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 08:22 AM   #224
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Can we send this Hillary back in time a few years?
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:14 AM   #225
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Not forfeiting an amount of money you'd normally get is not the same thing as being paid to attend some event. That's quite different. From the title, you'd get the impression that people at Trump's rallies are paid to be there -- which wouldn't surprise me. But this isn't the case. It's people who are NOT going to be paid in full if they don't attent as part of their work.

<snip>

Originally Posted by TofuFighter View Post

"... as part of their work." sure sounds like a rent-a-crowd to me.

Exactly. Go to Trump-Not-Really-A-Rally-(wink), or don't get the pay you would normally get for that day of work.

There's a lot of ways to try and twist the words, but pretending it's anything but a rent-a-crowd is a distinction without any significant difference.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:19 AM   #226
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by dann View Post
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
And how many divisions does Greenland have?

No Greenland army, but:

Quote:
Number of Law Enforcement Firearms: Police in Greenland are reported to have 300 firearms
Number of Privately Owned Firearms: The estimated total number of guns (both licit and illicit) held by civilians in Greenland is: 13,000 (2017)
Firearms: Region: Greenland (gunpolicy.org)

And don't get me started on the number of harpoons! About Greenland hunting culture (visitgreenland.com)

Denmark is a part of NATO. That means that they have the entire alliance obligated to back them up if somebody tries to invade them.

If it was the U.S. then they would be obligated to help defend Greenland against themselves.

Sounds like the sort of thing Trump would get involved in.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:20 AM   #227
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
There's a lot of ways to try and twist the words, but pretending it's anything but a rent-a-crowd is a distinction without any significant difference.
"It doesn't matter if he died from a heart attack or by gunshot, your honor. One way or another he's dead. It makes no difference!"

Sorry, that the end result is that Trump's crowd numbers are inflated doesn't change the fact that the dynamic is very different. I don't see why that's controversial.

Old 20th August 2019, 09:23 AM   #228
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

If you're using a map app for navigation, which is what most people use them for, then the app knows where you are. It sort of has to. It doesn't need your phone number because it's already on your phone.

Businesses pay for the apps to run ads when you're near them. Waze does it, too.

The apps are free. They gotta make a nickel where they can.

Old 20th August 2019, 09:24 AM   #229
plague311
Great minds think...

"It doesn't matter if he died from a heart attack or by gunshot, your honor. One way or another he's dead. It makes no difference!"

Sorry, that the end result is that Trump's crowd numbers are inflated doesn't change the fact that the dynamic is very different. I don't see why that's controversial.
I can't imagine why it makes any ******* difference.

In the end, Trump didn't do anything himself to encourage them to show up. Their jobs basically told them to show up or lose money, that's just a fact. There is absolutely no way to change the fact that:

If they show up, they get more money than if they don't. It's undeniable.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:27 AM   #230
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

If you're using a map app for navigation, which is what most people use them for, then the app knows where you are. It sort of has to. It doesn't need your phone number because it's already on your phone.

Businesses pay for the apps to run ads when you're near them. Waze does it, too.

The apps are free. They gotta make a nickel where they can.
The world has gone mad. I just look at maps, and write down the directions. On paper.
Old 20th August 2019, 09:38 AM   #231
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I can't imagine why it makes any ******* difference.
Right. Heart attack or murder. No difference.

Quote:
If they show up, they get more money than if they don't. It's undeniable.
But that's money they would've had anyway just for showing up to work that day. That the money would be denied if they didn't attend the event is a dick move, but it's not like paying actors to see his candidacy announcement back in 2015.

Old 20th August 2019, 09:44 AM   #232
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Denmark is a part of NATO. That means that they have the entire alliance obligated to back them up if somebody tries to invade them.

If it was the U.S. then they would be obligated to help defend Greenland against themselves.

Sounds like the sort of thing Trump would get involved in.
Upon purchase, would it be only considerate to rename the country “Orangeland”?

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 20th August 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:44 AM   #233
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The LameStream Media is far beyond Fake News, they are treading in very dangerous territory!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:45 AM   #234
plague311
Great minds think...

Right. Heart attack or murder. No difference.
You know, we don't have to have a ******* analogy for everything. This is neither a heart attack or a murder, and so this means absolutely nothing to this conversation. It's a red herring at best.

We don't always need to make up these ******* ridiculous "life or death" scenarios. It's getting old ******* fast. Everything has to be compared to some catastrophic, life ending ********.

But that's money they would've had anyway just for showing up to work that day. That the money would be denied if they didn't attend the event is a dick move, but it's not like paying actors to see his candidacy announcement back in 2015.
The only relevant thing you said in this entire post.

Yes, it is a dick move. There, we all agree.

Old 20th August 2019, 09:46 AM   #235
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Sorry, I don’t buy Rep. Tlaib’s tears. I have watched her violence, craziness and, most importantly, WORDS, for far too long. Now tears? She hates Israel and all Jewish people. She is an anti-Semite. She and her 3 friends are the new face of the Democrat Party. Live with it!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 09:47 AM   #236
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Sorry, I don’t buy Rep. Tlaib’s tears. I have watched her violence, craziness and, most importantly, WORDS, for far too long. Now tears? She hates Israel and all Jewish people. She is an anti-Semite. She and her 3 friends are the new face of the Democrat Party. Live with it!
He HAS to be stepping into Libel range here, or at least getting really close. I would assume he has to provide evidence of these statements at some point in time.

Old 20th August 2019, 09:48 AM   #237
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

The world has gone mad. I just look at maps, and write down the directions. On paper.
And how would you rate your Eberhard Faber*?

*Not intended as a thinly-veiled sexual reference.
Old 20th August 2019, 09:52 AM   #238
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
You know, we don't have to have a ******* analogy for everything.
I LOVE analogies, what can I say?

Quote:
This is neither a heart attack or a murder
On the other hand, most people seem to be unaware of the point of analogies, which is very disheartening to me. The point, usually, is in what's similar, not what's different. That the end result re Trump is the same is one thing, but the cause is very different.

Quote:
We don't always need to make up these ******* ridiculous "life or death" scenarios. It's getting old ******* fast. Everything has to be compared to some catastrophic, life ending ********.
Cars. I usually use cars for analogies. But for some reason, someone talking to a judge also appeals to me.

Now, if I didn't know that you actually swear all the time, I'd say you look rather miffed. Thanks to your earlier correction I know better, however.

Quote:
The only relevant thing you said in this entire post.
Now, come on, plague. You know that's not true. I'm sure you realise in your heart of hearts that my analogy was an earnest attempt to clarify where the disagreement lies, since my earlier attempts using the thing itself did not work.

Old 20th August 2019, 10:07 AM   #239
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Sorry, I don’t buy Rep. Tlaib’s tears. I have watched her violence, craziness and, most importantly, WORDS, for far too long.
If "things that you can do to words" was a Family Feud question, and your stupid uncle answered "WATCH" how many points would he get?
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 20th August 2019, 10:27 AM   #240
gregthehammer
Muse

Stupid uncle would get an X or XX or even XXX would be my guess
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics