ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Boris Johnson , political predictions , prediction thread , uk elections , UK issues , uk politics

Old 21st August 2019, 10:29 AM   #1
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

General election bribes

Was thinking about what else Johnson could come up with as his bribes for when the next GE is called.

Given the news today I reckon it's going to be cancellation of HS2 and the third runway at Heathrow.

Anyone else want to bet on what else ?
Old 21st August 2019, 10:32 AM   #2
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

Every home to have it's own unicorn?
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st August 2019, 11:32 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Tax cuts using the money saved from HS2.

More money for the NHS which turns out not to be new money
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 12:40 AM   #4
Tolls
Illuminator

Lots of magic cash for things, that will then be cut back viciously once power has been attained.

Essentially Mr Fied's unicorns.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd August 2019, 01:33 AM   #5
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Depends when the GE is held.

If it's after a hard Brexit I'd say we'll be so up to our necks in **** that he wouldn't dare.

But then I don't think he'd dare call an election before leaving, for fear of losing a mass of votes to the Brexit Party.

I seem to be saying "no bribes"
Old 22nd August 2019, 02:16 AM   #6
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Presumably grants for people to Dig For Victory and grow their own potatoes, lettuces and insulin.
Old 30th August 2019, 11:03 AM   #7
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I see he's gone with the "bring back the birch" message with teachers. Liked an interview I heard with a teacher - she said (paraphrased) "I'm 5 foot 4, I'm meant to use 'force' with a 6ft 3 15 year old?"
Old 30th August 2019, 11:10 AM   #8
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
I see he's gone with the "bring back the birch" message with teachers. Liked an interview I heard with a teacher - she said (paraphrased) "I'm 5 foot 4, I'm meant to use 'force' with a 6ft 3 15 year old?"
Looks like I was right in the post MikeG hated so much..
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 01:26 AM   #9
Mr Fied
Critical Thinker

More magic money.
We're going to have the best funded health system, education system, police service and armed forces in the world.
There must a bigger market for pork pies than any of us ever thought.
This coming from a man who doesn't even know that the Isle Of Man is not in the EU.
Mr Fied is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st August 2019, 02:15 AM   #10
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Looks like I was right in the post MikeG hated so much..
This was that post:

How can this happen when their visions are so widely disparate that any middle ground would be equally toxic to either.

The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place.

It's not entirely clear what the Labour Party want, but it's not that.
Old 1st September 2019, 07:03 AM   #11
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mr Fied View Post
More magic money.
This coming from a man who doesn't even know that the Isle Of Man is not in the EU.
Wait, do we have a backstop with the Isle of Man?
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 10:15 AM   #12
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Depends when the GE is held.

If it's after a hard Brexit I'd say we'll be so up to our necks in **** that he wouldn't dare.

But then I don't think he'd dare call an election before leaving, for fear of losing a mass of votes to the Brexit Party.

I seem to be saying "no bribes"
This is what I think the prorougation "wheeze" is about. Forcing his opponents to oust him, and then call a GE before the end of October, so he can blame the remainers for the election, and the immediate effects of a no-deal aren't immediately apparent.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 11:59 AM   #13
Mojo
Mostly harmless

This was that post:

I think it was misjudged. The current lot seem to want to take us back to the 1930s (or in some cases the 1850s).

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 12:01 PM   #14
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
This is what I think the prorougation "wheeze" is about. Forcing his opponents to oust him, and then call a GE before the end of October, so he can blame the remainers for the election, and the immediate effects of a no-deal aren't immediately apparent.

Well, that’s the problem. Force an election before Brexit, Boris wins and we’re ******, wait until after Brexit and we’re ****** anyway.

We’re ******.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 12:23 PM   #15
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Well, that’s the problem. Force an election before Brexit, Boris wins and we’re ******, wait until after Brexit and we’re ****** anyway.

We’re ******.
One way that someone with political vision could achieve is to form a unity government with the following limited aims. Revoke A50 pending a referendum, and once the referendum result is in, then call a general election.

I say revoke rather than ask for an extension, because asking for extensions until the government is ready is dangerous.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st September 2019, 10:39 PM   #16
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Was thinking about what else Johnson could come up with as his bribes for when the next GE is called.

Given the news today I reckon it's going to be cancellation of HS2 and the third runway at Heathrow.

Anyone else want to bet on what else ?
No more making dementia health care patients being forced to sell their homes, leaving nothing for their sprogs to inherit.
Old 1st September 2019, 10:42 PM   #17
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Nah. He and Carrie like living at no 10, too much.
Old 1st September 2019, 10:49 PM   #18
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

One way that someone with political vision could achieve is to form a unity government with the following limited aims. Revoke A50 pending a referendum, and once the referendum result is in, then call a general election.

I say revoke rather than ask for an extension, because asking for extensions until the government is ready is dangerous.
They won't dare hold another referendum as Brits, by nature anti-establishment, will vote Brexit in the secrecy of the ballot box, softly chuckling to themself about the time they kept the Pop Idol winner off the number one spot with heavy metal [take that, Simon!], or the time they kept voting for Wagner [X Factor] or John Sargeant [SCD].

Oh didn't we laugh when that Arlene Philips bird got sacked for throwing a fit over dear old Johnny 'dancing' the foxtrot. Or should that be renamed the elephant humps. And we the public kept voting him back. LOOOLS.

No, they won't dare.
Old 2nd September 2019, 02:57 AM   #19
Tolls
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post

We’re ******.
That's the only plan I can think he has.
Force parliament to go for an election.
Hence all the money flying about (well, promises of money anyway).

I can only assume he has a deal with Farage.

Can't.
The EU will not allow revocation as a means of allowing a referendum and then a reinstating of A50. Revoking has to mean "we're staying in for the foreseeable future".
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:03 AM   #20
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post

Can't.

The EU will not allow revocation as a means of allowing a referendum and then a reinstating of A50. Revoking has to mean "we're staying in for the foreseeable future".
No it doesn't. There is no such strictures in the treaty that means a country can't unilaterally revoke their invocation of article 50. The European court has already made a call on that.
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:07 AM   #21
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I fear that's the case and the way to combat that is to have an "anti no-deal coalition" which promises to give the UK electorate a second referendum to choose between some kind of deal and remaining.
Old 2nd September 2019, 03:41 AM   #22
KDLarsen
Illuminator

No it doesn't. There is no such strictures in the treaty that means a country can't unilaterally revoke their invocation of article 50. The European court has already made a call on that.
True, but the court also ruled that the withdrawal would have to be

Quote:
...unequivocal and unconditional, that is to say that the purpose of that revocation is to confirm the EU membership of the Member State concerned under terms that are unchanged as regards its status as a Member State, and that revocation brings the withdrawal procedure to an end.
What they could do would be to petition for an extension while a second referendum is held, but that brings in the headache that is the new European Commission that won't have a UK commissioner. It would be quite a mess if a second referendum resulted in a Remain win, and the UK then having to slot a commissioner back in to an already formed European Commission.

Edit: Not to mention the massive headache that is the "ghost" MEP's, who have been unable to take up their seats while the UK remains in the EU. After they were elected 3 months ago, they've been forbidden from holding a paid job, and I can't imagine most of them will be particularly pleased to be told that the whole thing is off again, and some compensation would probably have to be paid.

Last edited by KDLarsen; 2nd September 2019 at 03:48 AM.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th September 2019, 12:32 AM   #23
Tolls
Illuminator

As KDLarsen says, it needs to be unequivocal and unconditional.
Having legislation that says "we will revoke A50 in order to hold a referendum that may reinstate A50" doesn't really fit the bill.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:33 AM   #24
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

As KDLarsen says, it needs to be unequivocal and unconditional.
Having legislation that says "we will revoke A50 in order to hold a referendum that may reinstate A50" doesn't really fit the bill.
If it is the best way to avoid the damage of Brexit to the EU (which would be considerable, but not nearly as bad as the damage to the UK) then I don't think there would be a problem. Especially as the UK can revoke A50 - it can't get an extension without agreement from the EU27

Last edited by jimbob; 4th September 2019 at 09:34 AM.
Old 4th September 2019, 09:34 AM   #25
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Everyone feeling better now austerity is officially over?
Old 5th September 2019, 01:55 AM   #26
Tolls
Illuminator

Like magic we're all done and dusted (even though we appear to be heading for a recession with or without Brexit).
Old 5th September 2019, 02:37 AM   #27
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

You mean another Labour caused world wide financial crisis?
Old 5th September 2019, 03:28 AM   #28
Tolls
Illuminator

Oh, but of course!
This will be just the inevitable fallout from the crash over a decade ago.
These things take time to work through the system.

Or maybe it will be blamed on Labour not backing Brexit to the full. For not Believing in Britain!
Old 5th September 2019, 01:57 PM   #29
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Even by John Crace's standards this is brutal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...as-classic-dom

"What followed was a full-on breakdown. Both physical and mental. The narcissistic wound exposed as an infected open sore. Most leaders at least turn up with a speech they have prepared. However deathless the prose. Johnson prefers to wing it. The arrogant stream of pure unconsciousness. The bumbling worked for £25K after-dinner speeches when everyone was a bit pissed. It would work here. Classic Dom."
Old 6th September 2019, 12:34 AM   #30
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Even by John Crace's standards this is brutal

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...as-classic-dom

"What followed was a full-on breakdown. Both physical and mental. The narcissistic wound exposed as an infected open sore. Most leaders at least turn up with a speech they have prepared. However deathless the prose. Johnson prefers to wing it. The arrogant stream of pure unconsciousness. The bumbling worked for £25K after-dinner speeches when everyone was a bit pissed. It would work here. Classic Dom."
The problem is that the crowd were chuckling along with the Boris persona, dear old funny Boris, what a lovable toff bumbling along.

It was better when he was attempting his act to utter silence, that was truly excruciating for him but once the ice was broken with that first chuckle, he was away and running
Old 6th September 2019, 04:02 AM   #31
Information Analyst
Philosopher

When Mrs Analyst was working in senior schools, she was always critical that most teachers didn't even have any knowledge of the ways they could legally restrain violent pupils, which she only knew because she'd previously worked as a door supervisor, and had checked what was allowable in schools. On several occasions she nipped situations that could have turned really nasty in the bud, whilst he fellow teachers froze like rabbits in the headlights.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 04:10 AM   #32
Information Analyst
Philosopher

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
Edit: Not to mention the massive headache that is the "ghost" MEP's, who have been unable to take up their seats while the UK remains in the EU. After they were elected 3 months ago, they've been forbidden from holding a paid job, and I can't imagine most of them will be particularly pleased to be told that the whole thing is off again, and some compensation would probably have to be paid.
I hadn't heard about them before. I guess there is an important question about what will happen if sanity prevails and the UK stays in the EU, after all. Would the everything revert to the previous model, and the 27 new seats abolished, or would they be retained and chamber expanded to 778?
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th September 2019, 04:10 AM   #33
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Sadly look at how the press portrayed your right to defend yourself. They pushed untrue stories for a decade, so much so Cameron pledged that if he won the election they would sort it out. He got in, and found out the current law already let you defend yourself in every way it was claimed you weren't able to do so by the likes of the Express and Telegraph.

Fake news really is a real issue.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics