ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th September 2019, 11:24 PM   #41
Lurch
Muse

Ghettoization is not always externally imposed.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th September 2019, 11:25 PM   #42
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you want a rough rule of thumb, the Ultra Orthodox want to separate themselves out from society as a whole, and Orthodox do not ...
There are also differnces in interpretation of the law;most Orthodox , for instance interepert the old testament laws about dress differently then the Hasidim/Ultra Orthodox do;which is why the Hasidim have the distinctive dress.
To the non-Jewish eye, Hasidic dress doesn't look like the clothing of the Mediterranean lands from Old Testament times. It looks like the garments worn in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the seventeenth century. Can anyone explain why that should be, if this clothing is designed to fulfil biblical requirements?

Last edited by Craig B; 9th September 2019 at 11:29 PM.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 12:59 AM   #43
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You are asking why a religious belief is not logical and rational?
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 01:08 AM   #44
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You are asking why a religious belief is not logical and rational?
I thought the same thing. We're both going to burn in hell.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 01:13 AM   #45
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
To the non-Jewish eye, Hasidic dress doesn't look like the clothing of the Mediterranean lands from Old Testament times. It looks like the garments worn in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in the seventeenth century. Can anyone explain why that should be, if this clothing is designed to fulfil biblical requirements?
I think it's more like a frozen-in-time thing. The clothing would be at home in the Jewish ghettos post WWI in Europe and in North America. In that way it's similar to the frozen-in-time look of "modern" Turkey after Ataturk.

Lyubavich WAS, however, a town in the Polish-Lithuanian area of Eastern Europe. After one local war or another when the Russian empire absorbed it, they moved the sect to Poland. They moved again post-WWI, this time to the US.

Most Hasidim known in the US are Lubavichers or "Chabad".

Trigger Warning.... Politically Incorrect Jew on Jew Humor follows.

The best description - only allowed to be said by other Jews - I ever heard was by Gilbert Gottfried on Howard Stern:

Gottfried: The Hassid! Don't get me started! A bunch of show-offs!
Stern (or Robin): Show offs? The guys on the school bus coming across the Manhattan Bridge every morning?
Gottfried: Yeah, always showing off.... "Look at me, I'm wearing three vests and two sports coats and two hats! Bet you wish you had as many clothes as I do."

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 10th September 2019 at 01:15 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 02:04 AM   #46
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
I think it's more like a frozen-in-time thing. The clothing would be at home in the Jewish ghettos post WWI in Europe and in North America. In that way it's similar to the frozen-in-time look of "modern" Turkey after Ataturk.
That seems very plausible, and I can think of other examples, like the clothing worn by the representatives of Japan signing the capitulation in 1945.

But if the Hasidim were capable of adapting themselves and their scriptural requirements to the sartorial ways of early modern Lithuania, presumably they can do likewise in 21st century USA. Even if they "freeze in" that time in later decades. A modern secular appearance would be as much "at home" now in Jewish districts of the USA as fur trimmed caps were in seventeenth century E Europe.
Craig B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 03:09 AM   #47
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
These particular folks are basically putting themselves in one.
Except of course when they take over some area others already live.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 03:12 AM   #48
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Except of course when they take over some area others already live.
That would require leaving where they now, which is running against their religious inertia.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 03:13 AM   #49
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Craig B View Post
That seems very plausible, and I can think of other examples, like the clothing worn by the representatives of Japan signing the capitulation in 1945.

But if the Hasidim were capable of adapting themselves and their scriptural requirements to the sartorial ways of early modern Lithuania, presumably they can do likewise in 21st century USA. Even if they "freeze in" that time in later decades. A modern secular appearance would be as much "at home" now in Jewish districts of the USA as fur trimmed caps were in seventeenth century E Europe.
Clothing is a statement, it says what you belong to in terms of culture. It is not about religious mandates, it is about an imposed cultural divide.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 03:14 AM   #50
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
That would require leaving where they now, which is running against their religious inertia.
Not at all, see Rockland county NY. They are taking over towns there and making them unlikeable for the current residents. Not to dissimilar to white supremacist attempts in some western states but with more success.
Old 10th September 2019, 03:19 AM   #51
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Not at all, see Rockland county NY. They are taking over towns there and making them unlikeable for the current residents. Not to dissimilar to white supremacist attempts in some western states but with more success.
Where did they come from before they went to Rockland county?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th September 2019, 03:25 AM   #52
Craig B
Penultimate Amazing

Clothing is a statement, it says what you belong to in terms of culture. It is not about religious mandates, it is about an imposed cultural divide.
Imposed including self imposed, evidently. The object that Hasidic dress keeps its wearers aloof from is presumably the Enlightenment. The USA is firstborn child of the Enlightenment, while the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth failed to adapt to that movement in the eighteenth century, collapsed, and was dismembered by its predatory neighbours. I know which culture would attract me more, if I had to choose one at the present time.
Old 10th September 2019, 03:28 AM   #53
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Where did they come from before they went to Rockland county?
New York City. But of course they are not able to take over such a large city so they pick towns were they can achieve a plurality more easily.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics