ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th September 2019, 07:48 AM   #201
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well I wasn't aware this board had a required reading list.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 07:59 AM   #202
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
To be fair, it probably should.

But then, there's a lot of stuff in life that probably should have a reading list, but doesn't.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 08:21 AM   #203
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Who here has said it was required reading???

I've never read A Tale of Two Cities and still I know the first line. If you or someone else doesn't get a reference, it's OK, but it's not proper to attack the person making the reference just because someone didn't get the joke.
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 08:57 AM   #204
Wudang
BOFH

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
Indeed, it's the very first sentence, so I figured it was a gimme that the reference was common knowledge.
Oh yes I recognized the sentence but I have no idea what just saying it would mean. Possibly an appeal for a libertarian ubermensch?
Old 19th September 2019, 09:07 AM   #205
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

Not sure if it's been mentioned in here or not, but I know I've seen data showing that DUIs are down since Uber and Lyft got popular.

As someone that got a DUI about 15 years ago, I can say with conviction that I've used Uber MUCH more than I ever used taxis. I found them slow, unreliable, and you never knew what you were paying up-front. Where I live, I can basically have an Uber at my front door by the time I've laced up my sneakers.
Old 19th September 2019, 09:08 AM   #206
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by DuvalHMFIC View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned in here or not, but I know I've seen data showing that DUIs are down since Uber and Lyft got popular.
It's inconclusive.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/1...s-study-cities
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 09:09 AM   #207
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Oh yes I recognized the sentence but I have no idea what just saying it would mean. Possibly an appeal for a libertarian ubermensch?

In my case I said it merely as a joke.

It's been about 20 years since I read the book, but as I recall, the saying of it in the book was intended to support a movement by creating curiosity, much like an advertising campaign: "Yeah, I've been hearing that name a lot; just who is John Galt?"
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 09:10 AM   #208
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

We actually had a rash of "Who is John Galt" billboards pop up in Northern Florida few years back. They there related to a political campaign but I don't remember for sure.
Old 19th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #209
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

We actually had a rash of "Who is John Galt" billboards pop up in Northern Florida few years back. They there related to a political campaign but I don't remember for sure.
Next year they are going to use the "Call me Ishmael." billboards as a nod to diversity.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 09:15 AM   #210
DuvalHMFIC
Graduate Poster

I'd almost forgotten all about those. I remember seeing them just across the border in Georgia, too.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics