ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Saudi Arabia incidents , Yemen civil war , Yemen incidents

Old 14th September 2019, 12:43 PM   #1
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Drone attack on Saudi Oil Production

Yemeni forces hit Saudi oilfields with drone attacks.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-49703143

I've wondered for some time why more rebel forces don't use this kind of technology - freely available, easy to set up, high chance of escape for the pilots, and we can add highly effective. Why fly a 737 into a building when you can fly a drone carrying 20 lbs of C4?

Given the murdering Saudi's use of drones in Yemen, I'd say this is fair tactics and well aimed, hitting the despots where they hurt most: the pocket.
Old 14th September 2019, 02:29 PM   #2
mgidm86
Philosopher

All I care about is if and how much this will affect prices at my local gas station. Other than that, blow each other up, please.
Old 14th September 2019, 04:22 PM   #3
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
All I care about is if and how much this will affect prices at my local gas station. Other than that, blow each other up, please.
War exacts a high price. In this case, about an extra $0.25 per gallon. But it's a price we must be willing to pay for... well... whatever.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 04:27 PM   #4
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Going by oil market reaction and normal production resuming by Monday: $0.00.
Old 14th September 2019, 05:05 PM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
Here in the USA, the oil companies will raise the price tomorrow, as they do every time there's the slightest excuse. It won't last because of market pressure, but they always try.
Old 14th September 2019, 05:26 PM   #6
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Here in the USA, the oil companies will raise the price tomorrow, as they do every time there's the slightest excuse. It won't last because of market pressure, but they always try.
Considering you're paying 1/3 of what we do, I find it hard to be too worried about that.
Old 14th September 2019, 08:52 PM   #7
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post

Don't expect that to last.

Quote:
Saudi Arabia says drone attacks at two massive oil processing facilities have knocked out half of the country's total oil production.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-...fires/11513728
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 10:00 PM   #8
a_unique_person

The USA will be breaking out the strategic oil reserve. Australia doesn't have one. 28 eight days and we are out.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 11:09 PM   #9
AnonyMoose
Muse

And of course the Whitehouse leaps instantly to blame Iran, sans evidence... and screeching on their soapboxes for all allied countries to immediately jump in on the blame game too.

We've heard this song before... the playbook is stuck in an endless loop.

Same bat time. Same bat channel.

*yawns loudly*
Old 14th September 2019, 11:42 PM   #10
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Drone attack on Saudi Oil Production

On Saturday, Saudi Oil fields and oil processing facilities were attacked by 10 drones, cut the Kingdom's oil production in half.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier...e-for-100-oil/
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...t-oil-s-future

The origin seems to be Jemen, but Pompeo is already certain that the real culprit is Iran.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th September 2019, 11:43 PM   #11
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Depending on how long it takes to restore production levels, this will at the very least cause oil prices to rise. Ironically, the US will profit from this (as will Russia).

It might also put pressure on the administration to let Iran sell more of its oil - or it could lead to war.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 12:04 AM   #12
Venom
Illuminator

Why do you want war?
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 12:23 AM   #13
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Why do you want war?
The Saudi won't buy more weapons until they used up the ones they've got.
Old 15th September 2019, 12:45 AM   #14
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The Saudi won't buy more weapons until they used up the ones they've got.
Saudi buys weapons as, effectively, a bribe to keep their weapons-producing chums sweet.

National spending on arms in US$ Bn, per annum(from wiki):

1 643.3 United States of America
2 168.2 China
3 82.9 Saudi Arabia
4 63.1 Russia

Last edited by GlennB; 15th September 2019 at 12:46 AM.
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 02:33 AM   #15
a_unique_person

What sort of drones were these? I suppose it doesn't much much to our a GPS on a on a load of C4 these days.

Then there's this.

Quote:
Rebels have flown drones into the radar arrays of Saudi Arabia’s Patriot missile batteries, according to Conflict Armament Research, disabling them and allowing the Houthis to fire ballistic missiles into the kingdom unchallenged.
Old 15th September 2019, 04:55 AM   #16
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
What sort of drones were these? I suppose it doesn't much much to our a GPS on a on a load of C4 these days.

Then there's this.
According to the BBC the Yemeni's have a drone called the Qatef-1, basically an Iranian drone they've been provided with the design/parts to build. They also may have a more advanced design called the UAV-X with a 1500km range:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-49707303
Old 15th September 2019, 05:01 AM   #17
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

So why aren't we bombing Iran already?
What is Bolton waiting for?

ah... right ....
Old 15th September 2019, 05:51 AM   #18
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

It's only a matter of time before the Hunter-Killer drones are patrolling our own skies.
Old 15th September 2019, 06:01 AM   #19
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
It's only a matter of time before the Hunter-Killer drones are patrolling our own skies.
I prefer the personal touch of the RoboCop Hunter-Killer drones patrolling the streets.
Old 15th September 2019, 07:07 AM   #20
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

CNN has a pretty good analysis of the attack this morning:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/middl...ntl/index.html

Despite the Houthi claims of responsibility, there is no indication the Houthis have drones capable of flying the required distance. The Iranians do, and if there is any actual intelligence on flight paths and such they are keeping it to themselves.

The actual extent of damage may or may not be as serious as first claimed as the Saudis do have a degree of redundancy in these plants.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 07:35 AM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

There's another thread here. But your title is better.
Old 15th September 2019, 08:39 AM   #22
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
CNN has a pretty good analysis

LOL can a post be started worse?

Houthi presentation of their gear here from this summer. When we say "Houthis" now, what we mean is also a significant part of the Yemeni army that is fighting on their side and have been armed in the past by all of the usual suspects.
Old 15th September 2019, 03:03 PM   #23
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

[CT mode] It's a Saudi false flag, designed to trick the US into attacking Iran! With a bonus of higher oil prices! [/CT mode]
Old 15th September 2019, 03:08 PM   #24
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
CNN has a pretty good analysis of the attack this morning:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/15/middl...ntl/index.html

Despite the Houthi claims of responsibility, there is no indication the Houthis have drones capable of flying the required distance. The Iranians do, and if there is any actual intelligence on flight paths and such they are keeping it to themselves.

The actual extent of damage may or may not be as serious as first claimed as the Saudis do have a degree of redundancy in these plants.
The state of technology these days is such that weapons like these can be put together much more easily than before.

The parts are all readily available.

Engine - off the shelf Rotax runs on standard petrol.
Frame - standard design that does not need to be high tech, drones just cruise along at low speed.
GPS - off the shelf and very precise if you want to bomb something the size of an airfield.
C4 - readily available.
Control systems - like the Rotax engine, well understood technology
Drones are designed to have docile flight characteristics - easy to control.

The target is a sprawling site full of flammable material. Once a fire is stayed in one location it can spread very easily.

According to Wiki Iran only makes three of its high tech, multipurpose drones reach year. They would be unlikely to give the number required to the Houtis for an attack that used at least ten drones. The Iranian drones can perform multiple missions such as dropping smart bombs and surveillance. They contain a lot of expensive equipment and have retractable undercarriage.

In contrast the drones used in the attacks don't have to be that sophisticated. They only have one role and they only have to do it once. They will be a lot cheaper and easier to make. The Houtis would have Iran's help to build these of course.
Old 15th September 2019, 04:38 PM   #25
Senex
Philosopher

I'm just an ordinary American reading the news about this event with no skin in the game. What was hoped to be gained by targeting Saudi Oil? I guess Yemen is suffering so badly that Saudi Arabia can't possibly torture them any more than they do already so they lashed out at them. I don't know what it is like to have my family bombed and starved so I can't really be empathetic. I know Iranians are suffering as well. I don't know if they are baiting the Trump administration to drop bombs on them or if it is a good idea or not for them if they are. It's hard for an American to know what to believe. These issues are complicated and most Americans don't get past the biased headlines. I consider myself someone who tries a bit harder to understand what goes on than most but this attack just seems to me to be self defeating because it helps gives the Trump administration something to point at for them to act unilaterally if they choose. What did it gain?
Senex is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 05:02 PM   #26
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

FTR we have compiled a page about Yemeni attacks on Saudi infrastructure in recent years. This may be the most effective one, but nothing out of the ordinary. UAE has made a U-Turn in recent months and retracted from that dirty, dirty massacre against the Yemeni people after credible threats to their core infrastructure. Time for the dark-age penguins to stop it as well.
Old 15th September 2019, 05:11 PM   #27
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Senex View Post
I'm just an ordinary American reading the news about this event with no skin in the game. What was hoped to be gained by targeting Saudi Oil? I guess Yemen is suffering so badly that Saudi Arabia can't possibly torture them any more than they do already so they lashed out at them. I don't know what it is like to have my family bombed and starved so I can't really be empathetic. I know Iranians are suffering as well. I don't know if they are baiting the Trump administration to drop bombs on them or if it is a good idea or not for them if they are. It's hard for an American to know what to believe. These issues are complicated and most Americans don't get past the biased headlines. I consider myself someone who tries a bit harder to understand what goes on than most but this attack just seems to me to be self defeating because it helps gives the Trump administration something to point at for them to act unilaterally if they choose. What did it gain?
See my conspiracy theory above.

Also, Saudi Arabia should fight its own wars!
Old 15th September 2019, 05:12 PM   #28
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Time for the dark-age penguins to stop it as well.
Fat chance of that - with the scumbag MBS in charge and Putin's hand up his butt, he'll double down for sure.

I see oil spiked, with no doubt some speculators, but I'd say it will be back to usual within days. The spike appears to already almost halved.

Pity, really - the best thing that could happen to the planet is for oil to reach $200+ a barrel.
Old 16th September 2019, 04:15 AM   #29
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Just in:

Originally Posted by Yemen Press Agency
SANAA, Sept. 16 (YPA) – The second strike on Saudi Aramco facilities at Abqaiq and Khurais plants has been carried out by drones operating with new engines between normal and jet, the spokesman of the Yemeni army Yahya Sare’e said on Monday.

He added: We warn companies and foreigners not to be in the factories that have been hit by our strikes because they are still under our target and could be attacked at any moment, so they better leave these areas.

Yahya Sare’e warned the Saudi regime that “our longest hand can reach wherever we want and at the time we determine”, so Saudi-led coalition must review its calculations and stop its aggression and blockade on Yemen.
Old 16th September 2019, 06:47 AM   #30
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Glad to see our POTUS so willing to put our military at work for the Saudis. Good folk, well worth defending with US blood and treasure.

Trump tweet:
“Saudi Arabia oil supply was attacked. There is reason to believe that we know the culprit, are locked and loaded depending on verification, but are waiting to hear from the Kingdom as to who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed!”

God forbid the Saudis actually have to fight their own battles. Those gold plated AKs aren't made for firing in anger.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 16th September 2019 at 06:49 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 06:55 AM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Glad to see our POTUS so willing to put our military at work for the Saudis. Good folk, well worth defending with US blood and treasure.

Trump tweet:
“Saudi Arabia oil supply was attacked. There is reason to believe that we know the culprit, are locked and loaded depending on verification, but are waiting to hear from the Kingdom as to who they believe was the cause of this attack, and under what terms we would proceed!”

God forbid the Saudis actually have to fight their own battles. Those gold plated AKs aren't made for firing in anger.
Don't worry, the Trump administration is working on selling the Saudis nuclear tech.
Old 16th September 2019, 07:20 AM   #32
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post

Trump tweet:

It is amazing what money, and control of a strategic resource, can do. Despite 15 of the 19 individuals in the 9/11 attacks being Saudi, the continued export of radical Islamic ideology, the clear evidence that Saudi Arabia is not our friend, etc. the USA pretty much does what they ask of us. I do understand the complexities, the proxy wars, etc. but it often is very embarrassing.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 07:28 AM   #33
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
It is amazing what money, and control of a strategic resource, can do. Despite 15 of the 19 individuals in the 9/11 attacks being Saudi, the continued export of radical Islamic ideology, the clear evidence that Saudi Arabia is not our friend, etc. the USA pretty much does what they ask of us. I do understand the complexities, the proxy wars, etc. but it often is very embarrassing.
Listen there is nothing odd at all about shoring up democracy and human rights in the Middle East by getting in bed with an absolute hereditary monarchy with the human rights record somewhere between Gilead and Skeletor.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 08:15 AM   #34
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Maybe Trump is actually muslim ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 08:17 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Maybe Trump is actually muslim ?
He's 40% pork by mass, he could never be a Muslim.
Old 16th September 2019, 08:32 AM   #36
Border Reiver
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Listen there is nothing odd at all about shoring up democracy and human rights in the Middle East by getting in bed with an absolute hereditary monarchy with the human rights record somewhere between Gilead and Skeletor.
I think that's very much an insult to Skeletor. He ran a very diverse organization and targeted only the political and military structures of his foes directly, vice trying to get the Thundercats to fight on his behalf.
Old 16th September 2019, 08:34 AM   #37
crescent
Illuminator

[CT mode] It's a Saudi false flag, designed to trick the US into attacking Iran! With a bonus of higher oil prices! [/CT mode]

Sarcasm noted - but I would not be too surprised to find out that SA exaggerated the scope of the damage, to the point of producing doctored photos, shutting down undamaged faculties, stopping exports of products that have already been refined, maybe even doing a bit of damage themselves to outdated or non-functional equipment, that sort of thing.

It may not be a false flag, but the Saudis would not want to let a good crisis go to waste. With truth and honesty being vanishingly low priorities for them, they have a lot to work with right now.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
TGPS - off the shelf and very precise if you want to bomb something the size of an airfield.
Looking that the top image in this BBC Article, it looks like the damage was pretty precise, much more so than just hitting an airfield. These hits seem to have been down to a few meters in precision.

Saudi oil attacks: US says intelligence shows Iran involved
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 08:49 AM   #38
Dr.Sid
Master Poster

Iran's weapons of mass destruction maybe ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 09:07 AM   #39
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Assuming this is an escalation to the mine on the tanker in the Straight of straight of Hormuz, there is still only property damage:
if this was Hezbollah, they are remarkably restrained, only demonstrating that they can bring a significant part of the globe's oil production to a halt.

An attack on Iran at whatever scope will not diminish this capability, and I think the Saudi know it.
Old 16th September 2019, 09:19 AM   #40
Venom
Illuminator

I heard a CT now that says it was Israel.

Just people wanting particular narratives instead of the evidence. *sigh*
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events