ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2019, 07:16 AM   #1
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

MAGA Monkey Restaurant

Ex-Tampa Bay Buccaneers NFL player, 31, is charged with trashing two of his own Georgia restaurants and spraying the N-word and MAGA on the walls to make it look like a hate crime so he could collect insurance money

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
A former NFL player was arrested by police for allegedly wrecking two of his own businesses to stage a fake hate crime and be eligible to receive insurance money.

Authorities from the Gwinnett County Police Department in Georgia responded to a ‘burglary in progress’ call around 9.30pm on Wednesday when a witness reported a man damaging businesses.

The two businesses, Create and Bake Restaurant and Coughman’s Creamery, belonged to former NFL player and local business owner Edwan Coughman.

Inside the businesses, officers found ‘monkey’, the n-word, ‘MAGA’ and swastikas scrawled on the walls in fresh black spray paint.

‘The smell of spray paint was very fresh. When officers touched it, the paint appeared wet,’ a news release from police said.

The cushions were reportedly sliced open, mirrors were broken, wires were cut, TVs were missing and the surveillance system was broken...

...Coughman was arrested in the early morning hours of Thursday for false report of a crime, insurance fraud and concealing a license plate...

...The police statement said: ‘It appears as though Edawn conjured a premeditated plan to damage his own property, attempt to make it appear as a hate crime, file a claim with his insurance company, and sell off the undamaged appliances and electronics.’...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-burglary.html
Old 15th September 2019, 07:45 AM   #2
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

To say that he is a former NFL player is a stretch. From 2012-2016 he was, at various times, signed by seven NFL teams, but he was only a preseason or practice squad member. He never played, or was on the active roster for, a regular season game.

Sounds like his businesses were failing and he got desperate.
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 09:30 AM   #3
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
To say that he is a former NFL player is a stretch. From 2012-2016 he was, at various times, signed by seven NFL teams, but he was only a preseason or practice squad member. He never played, or was on the active roster for, a regular season game.

Odd auto correct for 'pitifully stupid'
Old 15th September 2019, 09:39 AM   #4
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Is the insurance payout greater if the word Monkey is spray-painted on the wall?
Old 15th September 2019, 09:49 AM   #5
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Is the insurance payout greater if the word Monkey is spray-painted on the wall?
Depends on if he took the terrorism rider out of his insurance, I think.

Also, we gonna call this Smoletting yet?
Old 15th September 2019, 02:19 PM   #6
mgidm86
Philosopher

It's definitely Smolletting. That term is now in Webster's dictionary. I doubt Smollett was the first though.

ETA:
Funny, I typed "Jussie Smollett" into a search engine to check spelling and this other bozo's face was at the top of the results page. So there ya go! It's officially "Smolletting"

Isn't it the libs (for lack of a better term) who think that MAGA is racist? Why would a racist paint MAGA (or shout MAGA as in Smollett's case)? Seems like the victim projecting his own beliefs about what racists would say, then painting it on his own walls.

I suppose a racist could use MAGA knowing that others feel it is racist even if they themselves do not. Just thought it was a bit telling, but maybe not. Or maybe it really is racist and I'm still not seeing it. Whatever.

In any case, this guy is one dumb sonofabitch. Not only that, he's a piece of crap for attempting to make racial relations just a little bit worse than they already are.
Old 15th September 2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Isn't it the libs (for lack of a better term) who think that MAGA is racist? Why would a racist paint MAGA (or shout MAGA as in Smollett's case)?
Because racists embrace MAGA and identify it with white nationalism, due to the president's perpetual dogwhistling.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 03:10 PM   #8
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Odd auto correct for 'pitifully stupid'
Really can't see the point of going that extra mile with the "maga" and other slurs painted on the walls. Just going to bring more scrutiny to his fraud.
Old 15th September 2019, 03:48 PM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

What's it take to get some proper villains up in this bitch? How I pine for the days of the well planned caper.
Old 15th September 2019, 04:45 PM   #10
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Because racists embrace MAGA and identify it with white nationalism, due to the president's perpetual dogwhistling.
Reagan and Clinton should be ashamed of themselves for creating and using it then, I guess.

Never thought they were racist, but you learn things every day.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Reagan and Clinton should be ashamed of themselves for creating and using it then, I guess.

How could Trump's dogwhistling have imparted racist undertones to the MAGA slogan while Clinton and Reagan were using it? That makes no sense. Trump is not a time traveler.

But you're not an idiot, so you already knew that.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 05:03 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

How could Trump's dogwhistling have imparted racist undertones to the MAGA slogan while Clinton and Reagan were using it? That makes no sense. Trump is not a time traveler.

But you're not an idiot, so you already knew that.
Apologies, I was being mischievous as I am a bit of a, it is just a stupid slogan, which people make too much of type person.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 07:46 PM   #13
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post

Also, we gonna call this Smoletting yet?
Race grifting, surely.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 03:58 AM   #14
Mumbles
Philosopher

As I told you before, Reagan was an overt racist (supported Apartheid, opposed civil rights for black Americans, constantly yammered about "welfare queens" and "young bucks buying t-bone steaks", fiercely opposed MLK Jr holiday, gutted the Civil Rights division of the USDA - which led to the Pigford settlements, among many other acts).

Clinton may or may not have been personally racist, and was likely referring to the recession, but he was hardly a civil rights leader, showing a clear willingness to throw nonwhite people under the bus as part of his "third way" strategy.

Pointing to either of them, particularly Reagan, as examples of non-racist uses of the term is flawed in the case of Clinton, and risible in the case of Reagan.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 04:00 AM   #15
Mumbles
Philosopher

Man, Dolt 45 all but said "I hate *******, sand-******* and spics", there were no dogwhistles in sight.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th September 2019, 04:37 AM   #16
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
As I told you before, Reagan was an overt racist (supported Apartheid, opposed civil rights for black Americans, constantly yammered about "welfare queens" and "young bucks buying t-bone steaks", fiercely opposed MLK Jr holiday, gutted the Civil Rights division of the USDA - which led to the Pigford settlements, among many other acts).

Clinton may or may not have been personally racist, and was likely referring to the recession, but he was hardly a civil rights leader, showing a clear willingness to throw nonwhite people under the bus as part of his "third way" strategy.

Pointing to either of them, particularly Reagan, as examples of non-racist uses of the term is flawed in the case of Clinton, and risible in the case of Reagan.
It is a ***** slogan.

Only an American would take the thing seriously in the first place

Old 16th September 2019, 07:12 AM   #17
plague311
Great minds think...

It is a ***** slogan.

Only an American would take the thing seriously in the first place
Maybe because it's being used in ******* America, eh? That was a tough dot to connect.

Otherwise, this guy is a jackass but this is nothing new at all. Hell, this happened in Fargo, ND to an Asian restaurant about a decade or more ago. Using the same exact verbiage, sans the MAGA, and for the exact same reason. Though she tied herself up and stayed on the scene.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th September 2019, 12:05 PM   #18
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by shemp View Post

He should have stuck with tried and true methods, i. e., just set 'em on fire.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events