ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th September 2019, 08:33 AM   #1
Mader Levap
Muse

Just your everyday assault.

https://kstp.com/news/robbery-victim...olice/5488467/

Betha it would be national news if skin colors were reversed.
Old 15th September 2019, 09:27 AM   #2
Thermal
Philosopher

*short thread alert*
Old 15th September 2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post

When I lived closer to the nightlife district in my city, I'd glance over crime statistics and muggings were about the most common crime. Police were prioritizing presence on the streets where the bars were located, but a look at a heat map would easily tell you the problem was pedestrian routes all around the area.

Suspects and victims were both very diverse.

So I challenge your assertion that the ethnic makeup of some robbers has significance.

If anything, the only part that seems out of the ordinary is the caution and discipline they showed (though I'm not saying this is admirable).
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 09:51 AM   #4
The Norseman
Meandering fecklessly

Why is that?

What's your point in posting this?
Old 15th September 2019, 09:53 AM   #5
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
He also was notified by his bank that $220 was withdrawn at an ATM using his debit card.
What?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 10:00 AM   #6
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
What?
HE WAS ALSO NOTIFIED BY HIS BANK THAT $220 WAS WITHDRAWN AT AN ATM USING HIS DEBIT CARD!!!
Old 15th September 2019, 10:17 AM   #7
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
When I lived closer to the nightlife district in my city, I'd glance over crime statistics and muggings were about the most common crime. Police were prioritizing presence on the streets where the bars were located, but a look at a heat map would easily tell you the problem was pedestrian routes all around the area.

So I challenge your assertion that the ethnic makeup of some robbers has significance.

If anything, the only part that seems out of the ordinary is the caution and discipline they showed (though I'm not saying this is admirable).
Caution and discipline would be five seconds and out of dodge, and not out in the open under surveillance cameras. This was incompetence at its worst. Blue shirt attacker never threw a punch in his life and they took freaking forever. Knuckleheads of the most amateur variety. Sad.
Old 15th September 2019, 10:17 AM   #8
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Did he write the pin number for his card on the card?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 10:20 AM   #9
Thermal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Did he write the pin number for his card on the card?
Probably said it out loud while being beaten. Smart, too, because his bank will likely reimburse him and you gain video of the users, not just at the ATM but tracking down the street. Bread crumb theory FTW
Old 15th September 2019, 10:33 AM   #10
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
Caution and discipline would be five seconds and out of dodge, and not out in the open under surveillance cameras. This was incompetence at its worst. Blue shirt attacker never threw a punch in his life and they took freaking forever. Knuckleheads of the most amateur variety. Sad.
Of all of my friends who have been mugged, none of them had experienced the 5-second version of a mugging you refer to.

My non-accolade was in reference to their selectivity and use of distractions. Your point about choosing a surveilled location is valid, however.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 11:14 AM   #11
Thermal
Philosopher

Of all of my friends who have been mugged, none of them had experienced the 5-second version of a mugging you refer to.

My non-accolade was in reference to their selectivity and use of distractions. Your point about choosing a surveilled location is valid, however.
Then your friends may not have been mugged by people with discipline and caution.

Ok, five seconds may be a bit hyperbolic. But the OP muggers seemed grossly dumb. Zero caution. Zero discipline. It was what, eight on one? If they were disciplined and cautious, they would have shaken him down out of sight and been out quickly. The video shows tormenting and humiliating the guy, ripping off his pants and throwing them away. Not exactly Oceans Eleven work here.
Old 15th September 2019, 11:55 AM   #12
Mader Levap
Muse

It does not for me, but for many other people it does have significance. And sometimes it (significance and how people express it) gets twisted in amusing ways.

The video shows tormenting and humiliating the guy, ripping off his pants and throwing them away. Not exactly Oceans Eleven work here.
Almost like stealing was only one of goals of these criminals. I think they were out for some "fun" first and foremost.
Old 15th September 2019, 01:57 PM   #13
mgidm86
Philosopher

You see discipline and caution, I see a bunch of guys who do this all the time so it's just another mugging for them. They know nothing will happen to them.

THAT is what is scary about this! The brazen act right out in the open. Are you frickin' kidding me?

Are we watching the same video where a guy leaps off a planter and lands with both feet on the victims abdomen, a guy runs him over with a bicycle, and other(s) beat the holy hell out of him?

Yet another appears with some kind of I dunno - flower pot? and smashes him in the head with it. I can't believe he was able to walk away. THAT is the amazing part.

Dude wtf. Ya that's some real discipline and self control.

Hell yes this would be front page national news if races were reversed, and it isn't because *I* think it should be. I don't. What I believe doesn't change the facts. It's the media and the hyper politically correct dipsticks that dictate what we all see and try and tell us what we should care about.

Look at the initial outrage and coverage over Jussie Smollett, sans video or any evidence at all.

Yes, let's all rewind the video and watch these cautious and disciplined gentlemen.

Unbelievable.

The thread title nailed it - Just Your Everyday Assault. Certainly looks like they do it every day to me.
Old 15th September 2019, 02:17 PM   #14
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Well, I was responding to the written portions since I don't watch videos at work. I'm happy to be corrected on the issue.

Moving on, now.

ETA: I still maintain there would be nothing noteworthy about a reversed race version of this and making reference to "hyper polarized thought policing" tells me all I need to know.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th September 2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 15th September 2019, 03:43 PM   #15
Thermal
Philosopher

Well, I was responding to the written portions since I don't watch videos at work. I'm happy to be corrected on the issue.

Moving on, now.

ETA: I still maintain there would be nothing noteworthy about a reversed race version of this and making reference to "hyper polarized thought policing" tells me all I need to know.
Seriously, now: did you just say that if a group of white guys beat and dehumanized a black man in this way that the twittersphere and, yea verily, this very forum, would not be howling 'racism'?
Old 15th September 2019, 03:51 PM   #16
Wolrab
Illuminator

Wow. Those animals need to be put down. With extreme prejudice.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th September 2019, 04:18 PM   #17
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Seriously, now: did you just say that if a group of white guys beat and dehumanized a black man in this way that the twittersphere and, yea verily, this very forum, would not be howling 'racism'?
I said nothing would be noteworthy about it.

Muggings and beatings happen all the time in all manner of racial dynamics.

What people and Twitter and this forum contort that into doesn't concern me.

Plus there would be just as many shouting "hoax."

But none of that makes any given mugging or beating motivated by racism. The only incidents I can recall rising to national prominence have involved people who are already public figures, so they make for good click bait.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 15th September 2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 15th September 2019, 04:50 PM   #18
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Far out

That was pretty ugly

Kind of wish I hadn't watched it.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:26 PM   #19
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
You see discipline and caution, I see a bunch of guys who do this all the time so it's just another mugging for them. They know nothing will happen to them.
The article I read said they were arrested and charged. Is that some street code for "nothing will happen to them"?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:50 PM   #20
Mumbles
Philosopher

Saw it a while ago, along with:

a black kid being bullied by two white kids;

a white boy that knocks the crap out of a girl that was pestering him;

a white man that got probation after knocking a 11-year-old black girl unconscious;

several other beatings, fights, etc.;

and a few comparisons to a homeless black woman who got 5 years (!) in prison for registering her kids to school in a wealthy district;

Is this an ugly video clip? Absolutely.

Was the victim killed because he was targeted over his skin color? No, he's alive, and he was targeted for his phone;

Did the police let the attackers go home with no charges? No, they were all charged with various crimes.

Will any jury twist themselves into knots to let them go? *Very* unlikely. Scummy guys like this go to jail all the time.

All this thread is missing is the usual "Why isn't Al Sharpton marching in the streets over this!? Speak up, Black Lives Matter!!!" post - because civil rights groups march for charged muggers to be...double secret charged? Released? I'm never clear on what any such march is supposed to be about.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:55 PM   #21
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
Saw it a while ago, along with:

a black kid being bullied by two white kids;

a white boy that knocks the crap out of a girl that was pestering him;

a white man that got probation after knocking a 11-year-old black girl unconscious;

several other beatings, fights, etc.;

and a few comparisons to a homeless black woman who got 5 years (!) in prison for registering her kids to school in a wealthy district;

Is this an ugly video clip? Absolutely.

Was the victim killed because he was targeted over his skin color? No, he's alive, and he was targeted for his phone;

Did the police let the attackers go home with no charges? No, they were all charged with various crimes.

Will any jury twist themselves into knots to let them go? *Very* unlikely. Scummy guys like this go to jail all the time.

All this thread is missing is the usual "Why isn't Al Sharpton marching in the streets over this!? Speak up, Black Lives Matter!!!" post - because civil rights groups march for charged muggers to be...double secret charged? Released? I'm never clear on what any such march is supposed to be about.
Thanks for that interesting diatribe
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:13 PM   #22
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Thanks for that interesting diatribe
Again, if you're ever ready to talk to me like you're an adult that can understand ideas, feel free to do so.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:40 PM   #23
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
The article I read said they were arrested and charged. Is that some street code for "nothing will happen to them"?
In white-supremacy land, maybe. They tell themselves all the time that blacks face no consequences for bad behavior; maybe they even believe it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:42 PM   #24
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Wolrab View Post
Wow. Those animals need to be put down. With extreme prejudice.
You think 10-plus people need to be killed for beating (but not killing) another person? I think they simply deserve prison sentences.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 05:22 PM   #25
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Again, if you're ever ready to talk to me like you're an adult that can understand ideas, feel free to do so.
Not sure what you want to talk about.

Dude gets beaten up on camera by bunch o thugs, pretty ugly to watch.

You then off one some rant featuring multiple examples of other people getting beaten up and then went on about race.

Old 18th September 2019, 05:29 PM   #26
Mumbles
Philosopher

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Not sure what you want to talk about.

Dude gets beaten up on camera by bunch o thugs, pretty ugly to watch.

You then off one some rant featuring multiple examples of other people getting beaten up and then went on about race.
Did you somehow not read the OP...while reading the OP?
Old 18th September 2019, 05:52 PM   #27
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Did you somehow not read the OP...while reading the OP?
Fair point, re-read it

Apologies

If it is any excuse, after a while stupid comments like that just tend to not register with me any more

Old 18th September 2019, 09:04 PM   #28
LSSBB
Devilish Dictionarian

It does not for me, but for many other people it does have significance. And sometimes it (significance and how people express it) gets twisted in amusing ways.
The ethnic makeup doesn't matter to you, yet you feel the need to point out "it would be national news if skin colors were reversed."

Interesting.

Last edited by LSSBB; 18th September 2019 at 09:06 PM.
LSSBB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 10:46 PM   #29
Checkmite

Apparently the viral conservative rumorsphere has been calling this an attack by a "gang of Somalis", trying to use the incident to stoke anti-immigrant fears.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:05 PM   #30
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

If White people didn't marginalize and oppress POC all the time this would never happen.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th September 2019, 09:44 AM   #31
Wolrab
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
You think 10-plus people need to be killed for beating (but not killing) another person? I think they simply deserve prison sentences.
Yup. I wouldn't miss them. If they were Nazis we'd both be in agreement.
Some things are too broke for society to keep around. Prison would only hone their savagery.
"Such reports are usually based on the sighting of something the sighters cannot explain and that they (or someone else on their behalf) explain as representing an interstellar spaceship-often by saying "But what else can it be?" as though thier own ignorance is a decisive factor." Isaac Asimov
Wolrab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events