ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , dyslexia

Old 18th September 2019, 02:11 AM   #1
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

President Trump: Dyslexic, stupid, lazy, ignorant, literate?

Mod InfoSplit from a thread that was not about Trump's mental capacity and so on.
Posted By:Darat
Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
BJ is not dyslexic and is almost 20 years younger than Trump. Those are the key differences between them.
Is Trump actually dyslexic? I've never seen any evidence for it, although I've seen people supposing it - usually as an explanation for why he seems thick but isn't actually.

Last edited by Darat; 18th September 2019 at 06:19 AM.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:15 AM   #2
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Is Trump actually dyslexic? I've never seen any evidence for it, although I've seen people supposing it - usually as an explanation for why he seems thick but isn't actually.
No diagnosis has been reported, but it fits nicely with his regular gaffees, where he misspells on Twitter or misreads the words on Teleprompters. It explains why he's so poor at speeches and why he wants any reports as short as possible and filled with pictures. It explains why his vocabulary is that of a third grader. It explains why he's so averse of reading anything - it is difficult for him to read and he's lazy, so he doesn't make the effort. Most of the time he doesn't even read the speeches before delivering them, I'm reminded of a speech to Republican Senators (I think) where he congratulated one of them for his daughter getting married and then sincierly (!) congratulating him again, claiming he didn't even know his daughter was getting married.

In short, dyslexia explains a great deal of why Trump is, well, Trump. Other explanations are possible of course, but the simplest of them is that he's a malignant narcissist (self-evident), with a general aversion to work of any kind (self-evident) and a dyslexic. We know he has the first two conditions, dyslexia and the patterns you'd expect to emerge from that combination of traits explains all the rest with ease. You don't need any other conditions, dyslexia is fairly common (5-10% of population, up to 80% of people with reading difficulties) and doesn't result in anything we don't observe with Trump. Occham's razor tells us that would be the most likely explanation.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 18th September 2019 at 02:28 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:24 AM   #3
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

In short, dyslexia explains a great deal of why Trump is, well, Trump. Other explanations are possible of course, but the simplest of them is that he's a malignant narcissist (self-evident), with a general aversion to work of any kind (self-evident) and a dyslexic. We know he has the first two conditions, dyslexia and the patterns you'd expect to emerge from that combination of traits explains all the rest with ease. Occham's razor tells us that would be the most likely explanation.

McHrozni
Have you seen the way he squints at the teleprompter when he's reading from it ? I think he needs glasses to read it properly but is too vain to wear them.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:26 AM   #4
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

No diagnosis has been reported, but it fits nicely with his regular gaffees, where he misspells on Twitter or misreads the words on Teleprompters. It explains why he's so poor at speeches and why he wants any reports as short as possible and filled with pictures. It explains why his vocabulary is that of a third grader. It explains why he's so averse of reading anything - it is difficult for him to read and he's lazy, so he doesn't make the effort. Most of the time he doesn't even read the speeches before delivering them, I'm reminded of a speech to Republican Senators (I think) where he congratulated one of them for his daughter getting married and then sincierly (!) congratulating him again, claiming he didn't know. During a speech.

In short, dyslexia explains a great deal of why Trump is, well, Trump. Other explanations are possible of course, but the simplest of them is that he's a malignant narcissist (self-evident), with a general aversion to work of any kind (self-evident) and a dyslexic. We know he has the first two conditions, dyslexia and the patterns you'd expect to emerge from that combination of traits explains all the rest with ease. Occham's razor tells us that would be the most likely explanation.

McHrozni
I don't think dyslexia is required to explain anything about Trump, or that it's the most parsimonious explanation for anything about Trump. Yes dyslexia could be one explanation for why he is poor at spelling. Another possible explanation is that he's both stupid and lazy.

But that's besides the point, which is that people shouldn't say Trump is dyslexic as if it were a fact, when what it actually is is a supposition.
Old 18th September 2019, 02:31 AM   #5
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Have you seen the way he squints at the teleprompter when he's reading from it ? I think he needs glasses to read it properly but is too vain to wear them.
As I said, other explanations are also possible, but dyslexia fits them rather well. It is possible to have bigger teleprompters, with bigger fonts. It is also possible to place teleprompters closer.

Contact lenses and lense surgeries have been around for a while too. Trump has the ability to pay for them.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 02:36 AM   #6
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

As I said, other explanations are also possible, but dyslexia fits them rather well. It is possible to have bigger teleprompters, with bigger fonts. It is also possible to place teleprompters closer.

Contact lenses and lense surgeries have been around for a while too. Trump has the ability to pay for them.

McHrozni
That would require him to admit that there is a problem.

By all means persist with your assertion that President Trump has dyslexia - personally I think that the evidence is weak and there's nothing that laziness, stupidity and a complete unwillingness to admit weakness wouldn't explain.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:36 AM   #7
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think dyslexia is required to explain anything about Trump, or that it's the most parsimonious explanation for anything about Trump. Yes dyslexia could be one explanation for why he is poor at spelling. Another possible explanation is that he's both stupid and lazy.
It's not just spelling, read the whole thing.

There is no reason to believe Trump is stupid. I believe this is a mischaracterisation, despite his old age he's always able to respond to questions, accusations and whatnot. He responds with hot air and counteraccusations and misdirections and never with candor sure, but a genuinely stupid person would just sit and stare blankly most of the time. We do not see this with Trump, not ever.

This is evidence against Trump being stupid. That doesn't make him highly intelligent either, I mentioned several times earlier I judge him to be of average intelligence.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 02:42 AM   #8
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Not publically.

Quote:
By all means persist with your assertion that President Trump has dyslexia - personally I think that the evidence is weak and there's nothing that laziness, stupidity and a complete unwillingness to admit weakness wouldn't explain.
Other explanations exist, but quickly run into problems. Stupidity is a prime example - you assume him to be "stupid", but he's intelligent enough to quickly respond to things he doesn't like, to quickly change the subject, to talk and keep talking about whatever. That is not a trait of genuinely "stupid" people. He was also able to present himself as a successful business persona for decades on end, despite his business being anything but. That requires lying and lying successfully for any amount of time requires adequate intelligence.

If you write it down as "Trump being stupid" you need to explain how he's so stupid he doesn't even have a vocabulary of a high-schooler, yet was able to maintain a succession of cons with barely any legal precendens. Good luck and daddy's money won't do here, he would have to be profoundly stupid in one area and well above average in some other - a savant. Yet, his skill in lying is not nearly good enough to be a proper savant either.

Dylexia suffers from no such problems. He's lazy and bad at reading, so he reads as little as possible. Period.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 02:46 AM   #9
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Is Trump lazy? i think it's more that he is intellectually uninterested. I doubt he got to where he is by being lazy in the traditional sense. I just don't think he is very interested in learning about the things he should know about to be a competent President.
Old 18th September 2019, 02:49 AM   #10
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

There is no reason to believe Trump is stupid. I believe this is a mischaracterisation, despite his old age he's always able to respond to questions, accusations and whatnot. He responds with hot air and counteraccusations and misdirections and never with candor sure, but a genuinely stupid person would just sit and stare blankly most of the time. We do not see this with Trump, not ever.

This is evidence against Trump being stupid. That doesn't make him highly intelligent either, I mentioned several times earlier I judge him to be of average intelligence.

McHrozni
A President of average American intelligence would be a genuinely scary thing.

I'm not sure I would accept your evidence of him not being stupid as stupid people are perfectly capable of blustering through questions. But I don't think he is stupid. ignorant is probably closer to the mark. Wilfully so.
Old 18th September 2019, 02:53 AM   #11
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
I'm not sure I would accept your evidence of him not being stupid as stupid people are perfectly capable of blustering through questions. But I don't think he is stupid. ignorant is probably closer to the mark. Wilfully so.
Ignorant is indeed a better word.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 03:00 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Other explanations exist, but quickly run into problems. Stupidity is a prime example - you assume him to be "stupid", but he's intelligent enough to quickly respond to things he doesn't like, to quickly change the subject, to talk and keep talking about whatever. That is not a trait of genuinely "stupid" people. He was also able to present himself as a successful business persona for decades on end, despite his business being anything but. That requires lying and lying successfully for any amount of time requires adequate intelligence.
AGG covers it, President Trump may not be stupid per se, but he does seem to be completely disinterested in learning anything new.

If you write it down as "Trump being stupid" you need to explain how he's so stupid he doesn't even have a vocabulary of a high-schooler, yet was able to maintain a succession of cons with barely any legal precendens. Good luck and daddy's money won't do here, he would have to be profoundly stupid in one area and well above average in some other - a savant. Yet, his skill in lying is not nearly good enough to be a proper savant either.
If you compare President Trump's current vocabulary with the one he was using 10 or 20 years ago, it seems to have shrunk considerably. Whether that's as a result of declining mental abilities, a deliberate attempt to communicate with his base at their level or a combination of the two is a good question IMO.

I'm not entirely sure you need to be particularly smart, or even cunning, to execute the kinds of cons he's been doing all this time. You just need a complete lack of conscience and an ability to pitch something attractive to rubes.

Dylexia suffers from no such problems. He's lazy and bad at reading, so he reads as little as possible. Period.

McHrozni
Sure, whatever. I'll wait for a diagnosis from someone qualified to make it.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:08 AM   #13
Tolls
Illuminator

Trump has a vocabulary of ~700 words thanks to the condition.
It explains why his vocabulary is that of a third grader.
Restricted spoken vocabulary is not a symptom of dyslexia.
Restricted written vocabulary is.

Trump has the former, which inevitably falls through to the latter, but it cannot be used as an example of him having dyslexia.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:32 AM   #14
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

AGG covers it, President Trump may not be stupid per se, but he does seem to be completely disinterested in learning anything new.
A desire to learn new things is inherent to all humans, we get a high from that. Trump may not be disinterested in learning new things but he is put off by anything that requires any meaningful effort - like reading would be, if he were dyslexic.

Of course it's also possible he's not human but some sort of a cave lizard. That too is a possible explanation, but there are more dyslexic humans than there are cave lizard who are able to adequately mimic a human.

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure you need to be particularly smart, or even cunning, to execute the kinds of cons he's been doing all this time. You just need a complete lack of conscience and an ability to pitch something attractive to rubes.
I'm not saying he's particularily smart either. I'm saying he's not outright retarded. Sure we all like to call him such with good reason, but there is literarily no evidence for Trump being actually stupid. He's no more genius than he is stable sure, but "not a genius" does not immediately translate into "stupid", outside of a common use of phrase - that I'm going out of my way to repeatedly state is not what I'm using.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 18th September 2019 at 03:37 AM.
McHrozni is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:33 AM   #15
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post

Trump has the former, which inevitably falls through to the latter, but it cannot be used as an example of him having dyslexia.
A restricted vocabulary of any sort can be a symptom of dyslexia, if the result of the condition is the patient not reading much. We know that to be the case with Trump.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 03:40 AM   #16
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

A desire to learn new things is inherent to all humans, we get a high from that. Trump may not be disinterested in learning new things but he is put off by anything that requires any meaningful effort - like reading would be, if he were dyslexic.
That doesn't explain why he doesn't learn anything he's told either.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:41 AM   #17
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

A restricted vocabulary of any sort can be a symptom of dyslexia, if the result of the condition is the patient not reading much. We know that to be the case with Trump.

McHrozni
His vocabulary didn't used to be restricted, does he have late onset dyslexia
Old 18th September 2019, 03:42 AM   #18
3point14
Pi

That doesn't explain why he doesn't learn anything he's told either.
Put yourself in his position (Eugh). If you already know everything, why invest effort in learning, that's just time that could be spent playing golf.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:42 AM   #19
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

BJ is not dyslexic and is almost 20 years younger than Trump. Those are the key differences between them.

Granted, those differences amount to a fair deal. Not having dyslexia enables BJ to sound significantly more astute when appropriate, Trump has a vocabulary of ~700 words thanks to the condition. Trump has also been showing symptoms of age-related mental degradation, BJ is still too young for that.

In short, BJ will always appear more intellectually capable than Trump. Whether he has significantly greater mental capacity or not remains to be seen. My guess is no, he does not.

McHrozni
When you have two people who refuse to read what they should why are you assuming one is dyslexic and not the other?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:45 AM   #20
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I did. Spelling was an example.

Quote:
There is no reason to believe Trump is stupid.
Other than the stupid things he says, does, and believes, no. No reason at all.

Quote:
I believe this is a mischaracterisation, despite his old age he's always able to respond to questions, accusations and whatnot. He responds with hot air and counteraccusations and misdirections and never with candor sure, but a genuinely stupid person would just sit and stare blankly most of the time. We do not see this with Trump, not ever.
"Being able to talk" is a low bar to set for "not being stupid".
Old 18th September 2019, 03:50 AM   #21
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

And to be working within a system that tends not to pursue white collar crime, especially white collar crime by the wealthy.

And you don't need intelligence at all to perpetrate these kinds of cons. You need to have someone in your organisation who knows how to do them, and then to tell them to do them.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:52 AM   #22
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Anyway, this is all rather off-topic.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:52 AM   #23
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

I did. Spelling was an example.
Yes, one of the examples I point out is not enough, if it's standing alone. Your point being?

Quote:
"Being able to talk" is a low bar to set for "not being stupid".
Luckily enough I didn't say "he's able to talk". I said something else entirely, that included talking and also some other things.

If you can't tell the difference between that how I sad a genuinely "stupid" person react, I may have bad news for you.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 04:00 AM   #24
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Put yourself in his position (Eugh). If you already know everything, why invest effort in learning, that's just time that could be spent playing golf.
Given how awesome Trump says he is at everything without effort, it's amazing how mediocre he is at the one thing he does more than anything else...
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 04:09 AM   #25
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Yes, one of the examples I point out is not enough, if it's standing alone. Your point being?

Luckily enough I didn't say "he's able to talk". I said something else entirely, that included talking and also some other things.

If you can't tell the difference between that how I sad a genuinely "stupid" person react, I may have bad news for you.

McHrozni
Well, I wasn't going to continue down this pointless tangent because it's off-topic, and you're definitely not going to convince me that it's a worthwhile tangent conducted in good faith by calling me stupid. Feel free to continue to believe, without further challenge, that your supposition is fact.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:16 AM   #26
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Well, I wasn't going to continue down this pointless tangent because it's off-topic, and you're definitely not going to convince me that it's a worthwhile tangent conducted in good faith by calling me stupid.
Eh? That wasn't my intent. Sorry.

I merely pointed out you cited portions of my statement in such a way as to completely change their meaning (twice). If you can't tell the difference, well, that's a problem.

McHrozni

Last edited by McHrozni; 18th September 2019 at 04:18 AM.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:21 AM   #27
jeremyp
Muse

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post

There are several examples that show he can barely read. For example, when he reads a speech off a teleprompter, he sounds slow and he stumbles a lot. When he's improvising, the content is still lies and distortion but he sounds a lot more compos mentis. As I understand it, having difficulty reading is a symptom of dyslexia

I don't say Trump is definitely dyslexic but it fits the observed evidence better than "Trump is stupid".
jeremyp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:48 AM   #28
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not really sure where you get the idea that a stupid person would just 'stare blankly' when asked questions. We're talking about stupidity, not some form of autism. I think its perfectly reasonable for a stupid person to prattle on endlessly when challenged. (After all, part of being 'smart' is knowing when to actually stop, which Trump doesn't seem to know how to do.)

I've said it before: Trump is a forrest-gump like character. Below average intelligence, but he's been successful more due to luck than anything else. He was born into a wealthy family, which gave him early advantages in life. The wealth that he obtained through family connections helped him buy himself out of problems early in life. More recently, he seems to have been supported by Russians, likely as a front for money laundering (you don't need much intelligence to be a stooge like that.) He was picked to be the host of The Apprentice, despite not being a very capable businessman (and despite the fact that he didn't actually create the show.) When he entered politics, he won the Republican nomination, mostly because they had 'clown car' primaries (i.e. lots of candidates, so easy for someone to sneak in even if they don't have widespread support). And he won the election thanks to the assistance of others (Russian interference, Comey's pre-election surprise, etc.)

Trump succeeds by either being lucky, or being a pawn to others.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 18th September 2019 at 07:56 AM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:52 AM   #29
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
I don't say Trump is definitely dyslexic but it fits the observed evidence better than "Trump is stupid".
You know, there is a possibility that both are true... Trump is dyslexic (thus his troubles reading teleprompters), and Trump is stupid (he isn't smart enough to cope with his dyslexia, plus when he attempts to function in situations that don't involve reading, he usually fouls things up there pretty badly too.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:55 AM   #30
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

My theory is that Trump at some point experimented with the Dark Crystal and turned himself into a bloated rotting corpse with the jerky animation of a puppet. Whether he's stupid or cunning doesn't matter, his insane selfishness and uncontrollable appetites drive him. We can only endure his mad behavior as best we can until Aughra Warren can drive him out of the castle.
Old 18th September 2019, 07:55 AM   #31
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
And to be working within a system that tends not to pursue white collar crime, especially white collar crime by the wealthy.

And you don't need intelligence at all to perpetrate these kinds of cons. You need to have someone in your organisation who knows how to do them, and then to tell them to do them.
Plus, he had the advantage of being born into a wealthy family. Having an image of wealth helps con people who think "I can be wealthy too", and it helps you buy yourself out of problems if your schemes go south.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th September 2019, 08:20 AM   #32
Armitage72
Illuminator

There was a recent news story about a teenager who went blind after living on a diet of nothing but junk food for several years. Maybe Trump is going blind from his bad diet but won't admit it, since he's the healthiest person to ever occupy the White House.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:42 AM   #33
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Is Trump lazy? i think it's more that he is intellectually uninterested. I doubt he got to where he is by being lazy in the traditional sense.
No, he got to where he is by being lucky: Born into a wealthy family (along with millions of dollars), willing to work with foreign companies who could use him for money laundering, and walking into a presidential campaign where his opponent had been subject to character assassination by the Republicans for decades.

Someone can be quite lazy and still succeed under those conditions.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th September 2019, 11:21 AM   #34
Bob001
Philosopher

Quote:
You mean il-literate, right? And are we supposed to choose one? Or can it be "all of the above?"
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:46 AM   #35
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Is there a polar opposite to Betteridge's Law?
Old 18th September 2019, 12:40 PM   #36
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

OMG, I hope our president is not dyslexic! That would mean he might not be able to read out the proper launch codes when he needs them!
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:03 PM   #37
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

No, Trump can definitely read.

I used to think he was functionally illiterate; however evidence to the contrary emerged quite recently, in his Rose Garden presser when he announced the activation of the US Space Command UCC. He directly read a rather lengthy prepared statement written by the Pentagon. Hilariously, he read it the way a third-grader reads a passage from a textbook when called on in class - eyes down on the page, zero vocal inflection - painfully interspersed with occasional attempts at ad-lib comments that tried but failed to sound knowledgeable; but although some of the bigger words were obviously foreign or unnatural to him, he didn't stumble over or mispronounce them.

It's possible that he has read such statements before in such a way - I have a habit of not watching his events - but no, Trump very definitely can read and is not dyslexic. He just doesn't like to read, possibly because it hurts his brain and is hard like math. It's self-evident that he hates that part of his job and would rather not do it at all. That's why almost every single appearance he makes turns into a de facto campaign rally: Unlike Obama, Trump isn't an orator. He wants to have at most a topic outline and just wing it, stream-of-consciousness style, and since all he ever thinks about is himself, all he ever comes up with is self-aggrandizement and crowd-stroking.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:19 PM   #38
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

McHrozni
At the risk of being a sample size of one, I am somewhat dyslexic myself. And I read voraciously and have a very extensive vocabulary. And I can use it too.

Dyslexia can definitely make reading much more difficult. But it does not necessarily follow that the inverse - not reading much - confirms dyslexia. It may. Trump doesn't drive himself or walk up stairs. Does that make him a useless maladroit? Not necessarily. Trump "has people to read for him" and drive him places and he uses elevators. His golf round involves driving a cart from shot to shot, not actually walking anywhere. The man is goddam lazy and privileged, and has been for life.

A restricted vocabulary is not necessarily a symptom of dyslexia. That is far more a symptom of extreme intellectual laziness with respect to Trump. He has an extremely limited vocabulary. He also has a paucity of ideas, and low understanding of much beyond basic concepts. He's an empty vessel, an atrophied brain muscle. Frankly, he is running only on his primeval reptilian core - food, sex, self-preservation. That's it.

So I don't think it is dyslexia for Trump. It is just pure, outright laziness. He's had his life handed to him on a silver platter for doing bugger all but just being Donald Trump, he has never done an honest (or indeed any) day's work in his life, and he expects that all to continue while he is president. As others have said, malignant narcissism, intellectual laziness and quite possibly onset dementia like his father had at this age explain him much better.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:23 PM   #39
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I'm not really sure where you get the idea that a stupid person would just 'stare blankly' when asked questions. We're talking about stupidity, not some form of autism. I think its perfectly reasonable for a stupid person to prattle on endlessly when challenged. (After all, part of being 'smart' is knowing when to actually stop, which Trump doesn't seem to know how to do.)

I've said it before: Trump is a forrest-gump like character. Below average intelligence, but he's been successful more due to luck than anything else. He was born into a wealthy family, which gave him early advantages in life. The wealth that he obtained through family connections helped him buy himself out of problems early in life. More recently, he seems to have been supported by Russians, likely as a front for money laundering (you don't need much intelligence to be a stooge like that.) He was picked to be the host of The Apprentice, despite not being a very capable businessman (and despite the fact that he didn't actually create the show.) When he entered politics, he won the Republican nomination, mostly because they had 'clown car' primaries (i.e. lots of candidates, so easy for someone to sneak in even if they don't have widespread support). And he won the election thanks to the assistance of others (Russian interference, Comey's pre-election surprise, etc.)

Trump succeeds by either being lucky, or being a pawn to others.

Trump would be nowhere if he did not have daddy's money. I doubt he could have made a million on his own.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 02:38 PM   #40
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

Mod InfoSplit from a thread that was not about Trump's mental capacity and so on.
Posted By:Darat

IMO he's morally dyslexic.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics