ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , dyslexia

Old 18th September 2019, 02:53 PM   #41
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I have wondered if Trump was dyslexic...
Problem is that dyslexia applies only to the written word..does not apply to the spoken word.
IMHO the man is just plain dumb and ignorant.
Some very intelligent people have been dyslexic but have compensated for it.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:00 PM   #42
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

Is Trump able to draw or even read a clock?
Old 18th September 2019, 03:12 PM   #43
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I've said here multiple times that he may or may not be unintelligent, but he's not only blindingly ignorant, but proud of it. That applies to the dyslexia as well.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:13 PM   #44
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Frank Newgent View Post
They gave me that test at a medical appointment earlier in the year. I was SO tempted to draw them a digital one.
Old 18th September 2019, 03:25 PM   #45
Frank Newgent
Philosopher

My brother has PCA:

Quote:
The symptoms of posterior cortical atrophy can vary from one person to the next and can change as the condition progresses. The most common symptoms are consistent with damage to the posterior cortex of the brain, an area responsible for processing visual information. Consistent with this neurological damage are slowly developing difficulties with visual tasks such as reading a line of text, judging distances, distinguishing between moving objects and stationary objects, inability to perceive more than one object at a time, disorientation, and difficulty maneuvering, identifying, and using tools or common objects. Some patients experience hallucinations. Other symptoms can include difficulty performing mathematical calculations or spelling, and many people with posterior cortical atrophy experience anxiety, possibly because they know something is wrong. In the early stages of posterior cortical atrophy, most people do not have markedly reduced memory, but memory can be affected in later stages.

https://www.alz.org/alzheimers-demen...rtical-atrophy

It's what got Terry Pratchett, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ly-claimed-him

Some of what Trump does fits the profile.

Last edited by Frank Newgent; 18th September 2019 at 03:26 PM.
Frank Newgent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:36 PM   #46
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
They gave me that test at a medical appointment earlier in the year. I was SO tempted to draw them a digital one.
In the future, they're going to have to find a different test. A lot of kids today, growing up in a digital world, can't tell time from an analog clock now.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:56 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I don't think Trump is dyslexic. I had students who were dyslexic and I don't see any comparison between them and Trump. I had one student who was so severely dyslexic that he couldn't even write is own name (Corey) correctly. Give him a written test and he'd flunk it every time. Instead, I'd read him the questions and he'd give me the answers orally. The kid aced my history class with an A. He was far from dumb.

I think Trump is intellectually lazy and not the most proficient reader. He can read, but I think his reading comprehension is what gives him problems. That's why he doesn't like to read and prefers people to report to him orally or in brief written form (one page). It also explains why he tends to read in a monotone. As he's not really comprehending, he can't put emphases, pauses, etc in the correct places. He loses track of what he's reading so he stops and wings it with something he's comfortable with, usually some self-aggrandizement or stock phrases he knows will appeal to the listener. I also think he lacks impulse control which causes him to just say whatever pops into his head at the time without thinking. He is not intellectually challenged...but he is an idiot.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 07:43 PM   #48
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
A President of average American intelligence would be a genuinely scary thing.
For a person who supposedly prides himself in being "not racist" and an "anti-bigot," you need to avoid comments like this.

Last edited by Baylor; 18th September 2019 at 07:45 PM.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 08:30 PM   #49
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

He can't even color an American Flag correctly.
Old 18th September 2019, 09:57 PM   #50
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I don't think Trump is dyslexic. I had students who were dyslexic and I don't see any comparison between them and Trump. I had one student who was so severely dyslexic that he couldn't even write is own name (Corey) correctly. Give him a written test and he'd flunk it every time. Instead, I'd read him the questions and he'd give me the answers orally. The kid aced my history class with an A. He was far from dumb.
Dylexic doesn't mean dumb, but not all people who are suffering from dyslexia are hard working and intelligent either. Trump considers work a form of torture and isn't very bright (about average). Most dyslexic like that would get nowhere, but he recieved that 'small business loan' from daddy.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 10:05 PM   #51
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I'm not really sure where you get the idea that a stupid person would just 'stare blankly' when asked questions.
Not "asked questions", but "asked difficult questions that would force him to either reevalue his entire self-being, or come up with an explanation of some sort, any will do". There's a profound difference to being asked a solution to a difficult mathematical question and a question where the truthful answer may land you in prison.

Quote:
We're talking about stupidity, not some form of autism. I think its perfectly reasonable for a stupid person to prattle on endlessly when challenged. (After all, part of being 'smart' is knowing when to actually stop, which Trump doesn't seem to know how to do.)
I'm not arguing Trump is highly intelligent, I rate him about average (90-110 range).

Quote:
I've said it before: Trump is a forrest-gump like character. Below average intelligence, but he's been successful more due to luck than anything else. He was born into a wealthy family, which gave him early advantages in life. The wealth that he obtained through family connections helped him buy himself out of problems early in life. More recently, he seems to have been supported by Russians, likely as a front for money laundering (you don't need much intelligence to be a stooge like that.) He was picked to be the host of The Apprentice, despite not being a very capable businessman (and despite the fact that he didn't actually create the show.) When he entered politics, he won the Republican nomination, mostly because they had 'clown car' primaries (i.e. lots of candidates, so easy for someone to sneak in even if they don't have widespread support). And he won the election thanks to the assistance of others (Russian interference, Comey's pre-election surprise, etc.)

Trump succeeds by either being lucky, or being a pawn to others.
Luck is an unlikely, beneficial event. By definition this means luck is not repetitive, it happens occasionally if at all. Trump has been "lucky" for what, 30 years straight? Something like that. That would no longer fit the definition of luck, he has certain skills in life that help him get through life. Those skills may be mainly lying and manipulation, but he has them nonetheless. He's been "lucky" for far too long.

McHrozni
Old 18th September 2019, 10:19 PM   #52
Lurch
Muse

Originally Posted by Baylor View Post
For a person who supposedly prides himself in being "not racist" and an "anti-bigot," you need to avoid comments like this.
Quick to take offense?

I know I'd very much prefer my PM to possess higher than average intelligence. And a reasonably complete education. Because smarts and knowledge make for a good start in a candidate for a position of leadership among people.

I distinguish between intelligence and knowledge, because one can possess either and not the other. Many folk tend to conflate, or at least mingle the two qualities. Commonly enough in my experience that I provisionally assume Archie did likewise. If this is so, then I largely agree with him. In this common understanding, a person of average intelligence--in any nation--would likely (not necessarily always) make for an unsuitable choice for leader of the nation.

Not to say that this 'intelligence' factor is the only criterion by which to judge fitness for the office. Compensating characteristics include curiosity, empathy, sound judgement, critical thinking and knowledge of one's limitations. (We all know who is demonstrably deficient in these qualities.) Indeed, without these latter positive traits, even prodigous intelligence by itself is no guarantor of success.

Now, to give support to the more cynical view regarding the average intelligence in America. After watching TV shows such as Jay Leno quizzing people on the street, I come away with a depressing sense of how lacking Americans are in knowledge of even very basic aspects of the world around them. And of course this in the full knowledge that obviously will the more 'amazing' cases of ignorance be shown. Nonetheless, to be so dumb but still happy to permit themselves to be revealed so on national TV tells me that to them their ignorance is no real cause for shame, certainly if compensated for by a minute of 'fame.'

Indeed, there has been a rise in contempt for education in the US. And the ultimate in shameless stupidity is Trump, who *did* make it to the pinnacle of power. So no wonder if outsiders gape in astonishment and rather readily disparage the intellect of the average American.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:21 PM   #53
dann
Philosopher

In the future, they're going to have to find a different test. A lot of kids today, growing up in a digital world, can't tell time from an analog clock now.

There were kids like that in the mid-1980s. I was working at a library when a 14-year-old asked me what time it was. When I pointed at the clock on the wall, he said that he couldn't read "round clocks".

A Full Frontal Investigation: Trump Can’t Read, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee (Oct. 31, 2016)
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

That Trump might be dyslexic is probably the nicest thing I could think of saying about him. It's not a character flaw like all the others that have been mentioned in this thread.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 04:08 AM   #54
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

It seems clear to me that Trump has spend his entire life compensating for certain learning disabilities, such as reading.
Because of this, he has gotten very good at picking up things in other ways, and filling in gaps with his own ideas.
The result is someone who genuinely thinks differently than anyone else around him.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 03:54 PM   #55
Stacyhs
Philosopher

I think Trump is intellectually lazy and not the most proficient reader. He can read, but I think his reading comprehension is what gives him problems. That's why he doesn't like to read and prefers people to report to him orally or in brief written form (one page). It also explains why he tends to read in a monotone. As he's not really comprehending, he can't put emphases, pauses, etc in the correct places. He loses track of what he's reading so he stops and wings it with something he's comfortable with, usually some self-aggrandizement or stock phrases he knows will appeal to the listener. I also think he lacks impulse control which causes him to just say whatever pops into his head at the time without thinking. He is not intellectually challenged...but he is an idiot.
Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Dylexic doesn't mean dumb, but not all people who are suffering from dyslexia are hard working and intelligent either. Trump considers work a form of torture and isn't very bright (about average). Most dyslexic like that would get nowhere, but he recieved that 'small business loan' from daddy.

McHrozni
I agree being dyslexic does no mean dumb as I indicated in the first paragraph of my post. A person of any intellectual ability can be dyslexic. Leonardo da Vinci and Albert Einstein were both dyslexic.

I suspect Trump, if not born into a wealthy family and business, would have ended up in jail for tax fraud or some other illegal behavior. He has no moral compass except his narcissism.
Old 19th September 2019, 04:03 PM   #56
Venom
Illuminator

One thing we can say for sure is he's stupid. Really, really stupid.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 07:23 PM   #57
Baylor
Suspended

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
Quick to take offense?
Not in the least.

Non-Asian PoC have demonstrablely lower intelligence than whites. And the education systems in the US factor this in to its curriculum. What you and that other guy are saying is you do not value black and brown people and you do not want them in your communities. If lower intelligence people bother you so much then the only conclusion that can be drawn is you don't want People of Color in your country.

I am beginning to think the education in Europe also leaves a lot to be desired. Its graduates are too daft to know when they out themselves as white nationalists. And they are also unable to distinguish fantasy from reality. We don't need to look very far for an example.

Case in point:

After watching TV shows such as Jay Leno quizzing people on the street, I come away with a depressing sense of how lacking Americans are in knowledge of even very basic aspects of the world around them.
Wow. Just wow.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 07:30 PM   #58
angrysoba
Philosophile

McHrozni
You surmise his dyslexia as a parsimonious explanation, but now you are saying he is dyslexic, lazy and stupid. Most other people are saying he is lazy and stupid. So I think the latter is the more parsimonious explanation.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 10:32 PM   #59
Baylor
Suspended

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
A President of average American intelligence would be a genuinely scary thing.
So no wonder if outsiders gape in astonishment and rather readily disparage the intellect of the average American.
These white guys think the "average American" (whatever that is) is of low intelligence. They clearly have a low opinion of Americans with low intelligence.

Going by Wikipedia page on race and intelligence, we learn this:

Quote:
Roth et al. (2001), in a review of the results of a total of 6,246,729 participants on other tests of cognitive ability or aptitude, found a difference in mean IQ scores between blacks and whites of 1.1 SD. Consistent results were found for college and university application tests such as the Scholastic Aptitude Test (N = 2.4 million) and Graduate Record Examination (N = 2.3 million), as well as for tests of job applicants in corporate sections (N = 0.5 million) and in the military (N = 0.4 million).
According to the study cited on Wikipedia and corroborated by several others, black people score about 15 points lower than whites on IQ tests.

With the purported low intelligence of the "average American" (whatever that is) that Lurch and Hammer Goal find off-putting, they must really not like black people and don't want to live with black people.

There's no way around it.

Edited by zooterkin:  <SNIP>
Edited for rule 0 and rule 12.

Last edited by zooterkin; 23rd September 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Old 19th September 2019, 10:40 PM   #60
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

**** it. I'll ignore the screeching 65 year olds and expand my argument. If anyone wants to engage feel free to.

This white guy thinks the purported low intelligence of Americans is "scary" and thinks people with low intelligence have little to no value.

According to the study cited on Wikipedia and corroborated by several others, black people score about 15 points lower than whites on IQ tests.

With the purported low intelligence of the "average American" (whatever that is) that Lurch and Hammer Goal find off-putting, they must really not like black people and don't want to live with black people.

IB4 'nah man yu da one thats racist' 'you're just trolling brah'.
Then Donald Trump must be the blackest of black men in the USA, brah. He so damn THICK!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 04:15 AM   #61
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

**** it. I'll ignore the screeching 65 year olds and expand my argument. If anyone wants to engage feel free to.

These white guys think the "average American" (whatever that is) is of low intelligence. They clearly have a low opinion of Americans with low intelligence.

IB4 'nah man yu da one thats racist' 'you're just trolling brah'.

To support your thesis you must now demonstrate that lower IQ scores actually indicate lower intelligence and are not, instead, indicative of other factors you haven't even considered yet.

You know, I've actually never seen anybody that truly believes IQs truly measure intelligence.

Now, despite your insistence that you really want someone to engage with you on this, somehow I expect you're too much of a coward to respond to this, instead begging off (or simply ignoring) for one reason or another.

LOL!
Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 04:55 AM   #62
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Trump is a doddering old man. Trying to diagnose some underlying, lifelong disability based on the ramblings of an old man seems misguided to me.

You can look up old videos of him from the 80's and 90's. He's just as vain, petty, and generally uncouth, but he's definitely more mentally acute. Not to say that he was ever a brainiac, but he was well within the norm for lazy rich kids who never had actually apply themselves.

As far as his attitude and world view. What do you expect? He inherited wealth. He's a man who has money who never had to work for it, never had to apply for a job, never have to work hard for anything. Nothing in his life has presented a difficulty that might require self-reflection or challenge deeply held beliefs. His wealth has shielded him from any meaningful negative consequences for being wrong on so many things. In absence of such feedback, dumb ideas have calcified into a dumb ideology.

Dude's old, and he sounds like an old man. No mystery there.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th September 2019 at 05:01 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 05:01 AM   #63
dann
Philosopher

IB4 'nah man yu da one that's racist' 'you're just trolling brah'.

Yes, it is!

IQ - the democratically purified racism (SkepticReport)
How intelligent is the average IQ test designer? (SkepticReport)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 05:03 AM   #64
Belz...
Fiend God

Of course it's also possible he's not human but some sort of a cave lizard. That too is a possible explanation, but there are more dyslexic humans than there are cave lizard who are able to adequately mimic a human.
Don't be so sure. There's at least one reptile who's made it to Senate leader.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 05:09 AM   #65
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
His vocabulary didn't used to be restricted, does he have late onset dyslexia
Is dyslexia innate or can it develop?

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
"Being able to talk" is a low bar to set for "not being stupid".
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
My theory is that Trump at some point experimented with the Dark Crystal and turned himself into a bloated rotting corpse with the jerky animation of a puppet. Whether he's stupid or cunning doesn't matter, his insane selfishness and uncontrollable appetites drive him. We can only endure his mad behavior as best we can until Aughra Warren can drive him out of the castle.
Skeksis Trump would answer a lot of questions, actually.

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
There was a recent news story about a teenager who went blind after living on a diet of nothing but junk food for several years. Maybe Trump is going blind from his bad diet but won't admit it, since he's the healthiest person to ever occupy the White House.
Impossible. He's told us many times that he's the most transparent president ever.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 05:12 AM   #66
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Nothing in his life has presented a difficulty that might require self-reflection or challenge deeply held beliefs.

I guess that the inability to fold umbrellas doesn't require self-reflection, but it would make most (literate) people pick up a user's manual - and nowadays you don't even have to be literate!

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 20th September 2019, 05:15 AM   #67
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump would be nowhere if he did not have daddy's money.
Hell, he almost went nowhere even with it.

If he did, it would be a broken clock.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
He can't even color an American Flag correctly.
No, but he can draw a Russian one.

Old 20th September 2019, 05:19 AM   #68
dann
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I have wondered if Trump was dyslexic...
Problem is that dyslexia applies only to the written word..does not apply to the spoken word.
IMHO the man is just plain dumb and ignorant.
Some very intelligent people have been dyslexic but have compensated for it.

You're right. His hearing doesn't appear to be impaired. I probably wouldn't have been able to understand a single question from reporters with the chopper noise in the background.

I AGREE
Old 20th September 2019, 05:21 AM   #69
SuburbanTurkey
Master Poster

Originally Posted by dann View Post
I guess that the inability to fold umbrellas doesn't require self-reflection, but it would make most (literate) people pick up a user's manual - and nowadays you don't even have to be literate!

I AGREE
Old man fumbles with common task isn't really an unusual news item. Hilary Clinton fell over for no reason during the campagin. This is what old people do, to some extent or another. Maybe we should be asking ourselves why we continue to elect septuagenarians to run our country.

His mental sharpness may be declining, but this isn't some great sign of some secret illiteracy or mental defect. The guy is old and does old man stuff.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 20th September 2019 at 05:25 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 05:32 AM   #70
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

Impossible. He's told us many times that he's the most transparent president ever.

Actually, for a change he just might have that one right: Lots of us see right through him.

Cabbage is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th September 2019, 05:35 AM   #71
Cabbage
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Old man fumbles with common task isn't really an unusual news item. Hilary Clinton fell over for no reason during the campagin.

I really don't think those are comparable. Hillary didn't forget how to stand, she was ill. It really looked like Trump simply forgot how an umbrella works.
Old 20th September 2019, 06:30 AM   #72
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

You're right. His hearing doesn't appear to be impaired. I probably wouldn't have been able to understand a single question from reporters with the chopper noise in the background.

I AGREE
I am constantly perplexed why the media does not simply filter out that noise from the audio. I mean the helicopter noise...
Old 20th September 2019, 08:58 AM   #73
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cabbage View Post
I really don't think those are comparable. Hillary didn't forget how to stand, she was ill. It really looked like Trump simply forgot how an umbrella works.
And it's not as if umbrellas are foreign to him, there are plenty of photos of him using an umbrella.
Old 20th September 2019, 08:59 AM   #74
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I am constantly perplexed why the media does not simply filter out that noise from the audio. I mean the helicopter noise...
How you know they haven't tried to? I suspect when they clicked on the noise removal option all they could hear was the helicopter.

Old 20th September 2019, 05:36 PM   #75
Baylor
Suspended

Not to get in a debate about the validity of IQ tests, but I promise you they are better predictors of intelligence than Jay Leno skits--which is what Lurch used to gauge the intelligence of Americans.

For those not following this thread, you can check for yourself. Post #52
Old 21st September 2019, 02:06 AM   #76
dann
Philosopher

If Lurch had added one word to this sentence, it would have been correct:

After watching TV shows such as Jay Leno quizzing people on the street, I come away with a depressing sense of how lacking some Americans are in knowledge of even very basic aspects of the world around them.

Lurch talks about intelligence, and you talk about IQ. They are very different concepts even though IQ-test designers think that they aren't.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:06 AM   #77
Baylor
Suspended

If Lurch had added one word to this sentence, it would have been correct:

Lurch talks about intelligence, and you talk about IQ. They are very different concepts even though IQ-test designers think that they aren't.
Yes, dann is comparing the validity of IQ tests to the validity of Jay Leno skits.

I never thought this forum would get this bad but here we are.
Old 24th September 2019, 05:47 AM   #78
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How you know they haven't tried to? I suspect when they clicked on the noise removal option all they could hear was the helicopter.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics