ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:00 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

Panda on-loan to Thailand has snuffed it: people in China are angry, apparently

The panda was 19 which is fairly old for a panda but they can live longer in captivity.

Some users of Weibo want China to bring back the other panda on loan there in case the zoo in Thailand isnít looking after the pandas properly, and also to end panda diplomacy.

Please have a heated debate about this.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:04 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Pandas should be given a simple choice: procreate or die.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:07 AM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Pandas are just large mice. If their fur wasn't that pattern and was just plain brown nobody would give a crap about them.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:08 AM   #4
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Ah, the Baylor Imperative!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:12 AM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
Why not both? Panda Death Sex would be a great reality show. Or a good name for a band.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:47 AM   #6
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Ah, the Baylor Imperative!
You think Great Pandas would decide to have more offspring if they are being told about the birthdates of Red Pandas?
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 12:37 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Snuffed means killed, not died. This is the second thread title with this annoying language error.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:00 PM   #8
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Pandas are just large mice. If their fur wasn't that pattern and was just plain brown nobody would give a crap about them.
They are a type of bear.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:07 PM   #9
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Snuffed means killed, not died. This is the second thread title with this annoying language error.
AFAIK, in the British patois "snuffed it" is a casual, gallows humor type way to say "has died." Monty Python's dead parrot sketch was the first time I recall hearing this usage and I'm sure I've heard it since.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:14 PM   #10
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Location: A pocket paradise between the sewage treatment plant and the railroad

Oh good, something to argue about!

"Snuffed" (transitive) means killed, but "snuffed it" means died. The latter verb phrase is intransitive. And British.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:17 PM   #11
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
AFAIK, in the British patois "snuffed it" is a casual, gallows humor type way to say "has died." Monty Python's dead parrot sketch was the first time I recall hearing this usage and I'm sure I've heard it since.

It's also used in the Book of Armaments, chapter two, verse twenty-one.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:23 PM   #12
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I have always known "snuffed it" as just died.

Think the confusion is the term comes from candle snuffers.

Which is what people used to use to extinguish candles. (kind of a stick with a wee cuppy thing on the end)

Snuffing out a candle is obviously killing the flame.
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:25 PM   #13
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

It's not dead. It's pining for the Great Wall.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:43 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
They are a type of bear.
No, they aren't. Pandas are giant mice. If you knew anything about the pre-Islamic Arabian trinity of Nuha, Ruda, and Atarsamain you'd know that. Duh. Whatever do they teach in Australian schools?
Old 18th September 2019, 01:45 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I have always known "snuffed it" as just died.

Think the confusion is the term comes from candle snuffers.
I think the confusion comes from "snuff films", which is the most common occurence of the word in this context in the American dialect of English.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:45 PM   #16
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Whatever do they teach in Australian schools?
12 years of memorization of all the nasty creatures that want to kill you there, and how to avoid them.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:49 PM   #17
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

No, they aren't. Pandas are giant mice. If you knew anything about the pre-Islamic Arabian trinity of Nuha, Ruda, and Atarsamain you'd know that. Duh. Whatever do they teach in Australian schools?
He probably doesn't know. He lives in NZ.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:52 PM   #18
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

You need more We Bare Bears in your life.

Then you'll know that Panda is just annoying. But really, you'll be so distracted by Ice Bear's awesomeness that you'll stop thinking about Panda.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 01:53 PM   #19
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
He probably doesn't know. He lives in NZ.
I was setting up a "same difference" joke when he complains.
Old 18th September 2019, 01:56 PM   #20
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Think you are thinking of red panda, which isn't a bear, as such, where as the giant panda is a bear

Old 18th September 2019, 02:16 PM   #21
3point14
Pi

Can't Thailand just tell China that no Pandas died?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 03:51 PM   #22
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I've never heard or seen "snuffed" in anything other than the passive voice, i.e. "he/she has snuffed it" but it's a bit archaic.

I suppose a hitman might say "I snuffed him/her out" but it just sounds weird to me.
Old 18th September 2019, 04:11 PM   #23
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
12 years of memorization of all the nasty creatures that want to kill you there, and how to avoid them.
Probably a good choice for what to teach.
Old 18th September 2019, 05:06 PM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Think you are thinking of red panda, which isn't a bear, as such, where as the giant panda is a bear
No, red pandas are technically seals. Their ancestors unmigrated from the oceans. They're super cute and deserve all the love and attention currently lavished on the Giant Crapmice. All love to Pabu!
Old 18th September 2019, 10:13 PM   #25
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Actually it's a little known fact that all large mammals are just giant mice. Whales are giant mice that can swim well.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 10:27 PM   #26
mgidm86
Philosopher

To hell with Pandas. They aren't bears anyways they're stuffed animal toys.
Old 18th September 2019, 11:41 PM   #27
Porpoise of Life
Illuminator

The king shot the panda, but nobody is allowed to talk about it.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th September 2019, 11:58 PM   #28
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Thailand's running 0 for 3 this year on the endangered species list. First we had the local billionaire who was "busted" (held but not prosecuted until a huge uproar during the elections forced the governments' hands) for bribing his way into a national park and setting up a hunting blind to hunt a local panther/leopard on the list. Then, last week, the return story came from that tiger temple they busted last year. Of 150+ tigers "rescued", half are now dead. The government wouldn't accept help fom tiger conservation experts and they picked up various diseases, including a strain of canine leukemia that big cats can catch.

Now this. It'll be harder to sweep this one under the rug. The Chinese still own all the pandas they're distributed around the world, plus any offspring. There's already a Chinese delegation on the way. A few panda vets(the medical kind) plus vets (veterans) of the political sort who are masters at Panda Diplomacy. It'll be done quietly but look for Thailand to open a veterinarian research center for Sino-Thai medicine or something similar. China will extract their pound of flesh and a few hundred kilometers of right-of-way to the new port in Myanmar that China is very interested in.

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.

Last edited by Foolmewunz; 19th September 2019 at 12:00 AM.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:04 AM   #29
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Actually it's a little known fact that all large mammals are just giant mice. Whales are giant mice that can swim well.
Everyone is going to know this fact as everyone on here is fairly brainy, but bringing up whales.

Polar Bears are actually classed as marine mammals like whales, and dolphins, as they spend so much more time in the sea than out of it.

Old 19th September 2019, 12:06 AM   #30
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Oh and the "tyrannosaurus rex" were just the mice's great great X 10000 grandfathers who were big and laid eggs

Old 19th September 2019, 12:23 AM   #31
Hungry81
Master Poster

Oh and the "tyrannosaurus rex" were just the mice's great great X 10000 grandfathers who were big and laid eggs
Don't be silly. The Tyranosaurus Rexii (not es) were rats.
Hungry81 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:10 AM   #32
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Everyone is going to know this fact as everyone on here is fairly brainy, but bringing up whales.

Polar Bears are actually classed as marine mammals like whales, and dolphins, as they spend so much more time in the sea than out of it.
I actually wasn't aware of that, but it makes sense.

Polar bears are a good example of what an intermediate form between a terrestrial mammal and something like a seal that lives most of it's life in the sea but still returns to land to have young would have looked like, which is a nice example of the sort of intermediate form you'd have before getting something fully aquatic like a dolphin that never returns to the land.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 04:01 AM   #33
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
The king shot the panda, but nobody is allowed to talk about it.
Good one!
Old 19th September 2019, 12:20 PM   #34
Myriad
Hyperthetical

The Chinese delegation needs to make sure the panda didn't die of a contagious disease. The last thing they want is a pandaemic. That could cause pandamonium.
Old 19th September 2019, 12:38 PM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Myriad View Post
The Chinese delegation needs to make sure the panda didn't die of a contagious disease. The last thing they want is a pandaemic. That could cause pandamonium.
The panic of a panda pandemic would expand to other lands!
Old 19th September 2019, 12:44 PM   #36
Elagabalus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
...The Chinese still own all the pandas they're distributed around the world, plus any offspring. There's already a Chinese delegation on the way...
Taking the Panda Express no doubt.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 12:57 PM   #37
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Not necessarily. "He snuffed it" simply means he died.
Old 19th September 2019, 01:01 PM   #38
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
No, it means 'he' killed 'it'.

British Monty Python slang doesn't count.
Old 19th September 2019, 01:04 PM   #39
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
Did you lose an avatar bet?

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th September 2019, 01:06 PM   #40
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

No, it means 'he' killed 'it'.

British Monty Python slang doesn't count.
From now on I will endeavor to refer to the Queen's English as Monty Python Slang. Thank you.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events