ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:28 PM   #1
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

Ed Ates released!

https://verifiedtasks.com/ed-ates-wi...his-name-back/

Aside from arguably Kerry Max Cook, I think this is the first big release the Truth and Justice podcast had a real hand in winning.

But really, this isn't justic until all the corrupt cops, prosecutors, lawmakers and anyone else involved, go to death row in his place
Old 23rd September 2018, 10:07 PM   #2
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster

Too bad for Ruff he started out backing an obviously guilty one - Syed. It doesn't give him much cred.

I'll have to read about this case, but it looks like he only potentially helped to get him paroled at this point, as opposed to exonerated.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 07:09 AM   #3
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post

But really, this isn't justic until all the corrupt cops, prosecutors, lawmakers and anyone else involved, go to death row in his place
Pretty sure that's not how justice works.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 12:11 PM   #4
smartcooky
Philosopher

IS it me or is there something odd about this website that OP's article is on.

Look at the wording (I've highlight the strange phrases seemingly out of place words..)

"Ates, who’s six foot six, bald, and 50 years previous, is being paroled tomorrow morning and can stroll out of the Partitions Unit in Huntsville and into the arms of his spouse, Kim, and his two grown youngsters, Kyra and Zach. Kyra was two when her father was despatched away; Zach was in utero. Additionally in attendance can be Ates’s lawyer, Allison Clayton, who works for the Innocence Undertaking of Texas, and 4 of her regulation college students from the Texas Tech Innocence Clinic, who all traveled from Lubbock. Lastly, Ates shall be greeted by a person named Bob Ruff, a burly, tattooed podcaster from tiny Bridgman, Michigan. Ruff’s weekly podcast Fact & Justice has a whole lot of hundreds of listeners, and for the previous two and a half years, he’s devoted lots of his exhibits to the prisoner’s extraordinary story."

"Innocence Undertaking? Really?"

It reads like it has been badly translated by an automatic thesaurus....
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 02:13 PM   #5
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

Look at the wording (I've highlight the strange phrases seemingly out of place words..)

"Ates, who’s six foot six, bald, and 50 years previous, is being paroled tomorrow morning and can stroll out of the Partitions Unit in Huntsville and into the arms of his spouse, Kim, and his two grown youngsters, Kyra and Zach. Kyra was two when her father was despatched away; Zach was in utero. Additionally in attendance can be Ates’s lawyer, Allison Clayton, who works for the Innocence Undertaking of Texas, and 4 of her regulation college students from the Texas Tech Innocence Clinic, who all traveled from Lubbock. Lastly, Ates shall be greeted by a person named Bob Ruff, a burly, tattooed podcaster from tiny Bridgman, Michigan. Ruff’s weekly podcast Fact & Justice has a whole lot of hundreds of listeners, and for the previous two and a half years, he’s devoted lots of his exhibits to the prisoner’s extraordinary story."

Maybe a content scraping bot with a thesaurus built in to disguise the source?

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2018, 03:33 PM   #6
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post

I picked up on the same thing. I ended up googling a better rendition:
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/ed...nts-name-back/

I initially thought it might have been translated, but realized after reading it that it probably was not originally written in another language.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th September 2018, 12:40 AM   #7
Planigale
Master Poster

The parallel with another case here is interesting. The crime was violent but no evidence of the presence of Ruff at the crime scene; it will be interesting to see the results of DNA testing. There was no evidence of injuries on Ruff that should have been present following a violent crime. Prosecutors exaggerated forensic evidence (suspected faeces) beyond what was scientifically acceptable. The lack of evidence of the suspects presence and the lack of injuries compatible with a violent struggle make his presence at the time and place of the murder unlikely.

In England judges are expected to remind jurors that suspects may have other reasons to lie to police other than being guilty of the crime they are accused of.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors