ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Darlie Routier , death penalty cases , murder cases , Texas cases

Reply
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:23 AM   #241
Sinsaint
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
All I am getting is a load of opinions about the Routier case from the internet, and not enough facts. I still think the husband, Darin, is a suspicious character and that he was never thoroughly or properly investigated. Just saying he only had a few thousand dollars of life insurance on his family without backing it up with hard documentary evidence does not convince me. The police and FBI just thought it was an open and shut case and they are comfortable with it. I have my doubts about it and very little confidence in it.

This is an affidavit by Darin Routier. It doesn't convince me but instead raises my eyebrows:
https://darliefacts.com

The above link (yes, pro-Darlie site) has all the transcripts, appeals, reports, notes, photos, etc. that are available to the public. You can easily ignore any of opinion stuff on the site and just focus on the factual things.

I agree Darin seems pretty shady and should have been investigated. That said, I just don't see how he would have had the time to commit the crime himself. I won't rule out that he could have hired someone to commit a crime at his house but then we need to figure out what crime he wanted to commit. Was it a burglary gone wrong or was it a murder for hire? Either way he's legally guilty of murder so maybe it doesn't really matter which crime he wanted carried out.

According to James Cron he decided "the mother" was involved within thirty minutes of viewing the crime scene so it's possible Darin was being investigated during those other twenty-nine minutes. /s Patterson, lead investigator for Rowlett Police Department, testified for the prosecution during the bail hearing and later was called to testify by the defense (was not called to testify by the prosecution). His testimony can be summed up pretty easily... "I didn't talk to any of the officers who responded to the scene other than the ones who were still there when I showed up. I didn't take any notes. I didn't talk to any of the paramedics. I didn't read any reports from witnesses. I didn't talk to any of the neighbors. I didn't investigate any of the tips that were called in. I didn't check with any neighboring police departments to see if there were similar crimes in the area. I spoke to Darin and Darlie two or three times maybe."

In Cron's defense in the television interview he gave wherein he remarked that the mother was involved he did state that at that point investigators need to do "what is called a dual investigation." Considering how thoroughly Detective Patterson investigated Darlie it doesn't appear he had much time to investigate anyone else. /s
Sinsaint is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 11:41 AM   #242
Sinsaint
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
So did I, but it's not unless you agree with the idea of Darlie's innocence.
I'm not sure that's what he said. The way I read it he seems to be saying a discussion of the facts for those people unfamiliar with the case would be more productive than a discussion about your opinion of her moral character.
Sinsaint is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 01:12 PM   #243
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,256
Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
I'm not sure that's what he said. The way I read it he seems to be saying a discussion of the facts for those people unfamiliar with the case would be more productive than a discussion about your opinion of her moral character.
OK. However, I believe that opinions about her moral character are, as with any case, valid as circumstantial evidence, if that evidence is based on fact. Such as a pattern of behavior.

I have examples, but am hesitant to bring them up. It seems that the direction this discussion is taking is to paint Darlie as a victim. After following this case closely from the beginning, perhaps I need to leave it alone for awhile.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 02:25 PM   #244
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
I'm not sure that's what he said. The way I read it he seems to be saying a discussion of the facts for those people unfamiliar with the case would be more productive than a discussion about your opinion of her moral character.
Actually, I quoted him. So, yeah, that's what he said. And my opinion of her moral character is it's bad since she killed her oldest two children. Other than that, she could be a stripper or a hooker for all I care of her morals. I disapprove of her murdering her two boys. I also think she should have tried for a post-partum psychosis since her original reason for sleeping downstairs was that she was getting no sleep since Drake woke her every time he moved.

Last edited by desmirelle; 3rd December 2016 at 02:29 PM.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd December 2016, 03:12 PM   #245
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
In the first link it's the maroon thing at the top of the picture. Look at the blood on it and the look at the blood on the back of Darlie's shirt in the last link.
No, can't spot anything
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th December 2016, 06:47 AM   #246
Sinsaint
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
No, can't spot anything
https://imgur.com/a/xvQgN
Sinsaint is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 04:04 AM   #247
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,098
I was watching an American TV show called 'women on death row' yesterday and I noticed they were discussing the Darlie Routier case. I don't normally watch that show as it's not a bundle of laughs. It's mostly rather sad cases of women who thought they would never be caught.

It started off with a policeman saying the physical evidence proves Darlie did it, and that her footprints were at the kitchen sink, and she is right where she belongs. Then Barbara Davies was interviewed who once wrote an anti-Darlie book, but she has since changed her mind. She said that not all photos were shown to the jury and evidence after evidence was not presented at trial. She then said there were fingerprints in blood with no known source.

Then Darlie's new lawyer, who I think is called Stephen Cooper, said that she is totally innocent and that bloody clothing was all bagged in the same bag causing contamination, and that the prosecution have never shown any motive. I agree that the rules of evidence don't require a motive, but I still think it's relevant. I suppose the prosecution think it was a suicide attempt.

Then Darlie's mother and sister were interviewed who said that the police don't want to admit a mistake because it would make them look like idiots.

The sock was not explained. There was a butcher's knife stuck in the grass outside which was never collected as evidence until a local DA ordered it to be collected at the start of the trial.

I just think the local police and FBI were not a proper homicide unit. They were mostly working class constables who knew nothing about the protection of a crime scene, or being a crime scene manager, and they disregarded leads and suspects. They had no practical knowledge or homicide experience.

According to that TV show Darlie is not allowed to associate with other prisoners because she is on death row.

I still think the original defense strategy was correct in trying to blame it on to the husband Darin, but that Darin wangled it so that Darlie would be represented by Darin's lawyer.

This is what Sinsaint in 2013 has said about this footprints at the kitchen sink matter which according to the police is supposed to be the conclusive evidence:

Quote:
The prosecution never explained why she would have cut her neck at the sink. Just that they "know she did" because the sink appeared to be clean so she must have washed it out. The theory is she cut herself there and cleaned it so no one would know she was cut there instead of on the sofa.

I have at least three problems with this theory. First, there is blood all over the front lip of the sink, on the cabinets below, puddles on the floor and blood on the drawer with the towels. If she were attempting to clean the area so it didn't look as if she stabbed herself there then she did a really terrible job. Secondly, the audio expert for the state testified the ambient levels on the 911 call showed she was going from the kitchen to living room to kitchen to living room repeatedly. If she were busy running around around the whole time, when was she cleaning the sink? And there's plenty of cleaning products just below the sink yet they were untouched. Third, had she truly stabbed herself at the kitchen sink then why is her blood on the couch, pillow and blanket she was using?

With all the elements required for this type of staging and the limited time required to do so I just can't see it as being reasonably possible.
Sinsaint
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2016, 05:27 AM   #248
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
I was watching an American TV show called 'women on death row' yesterday and I noticed they were discussing the Darlie Routier case. I don't normally watch that show as it's not a bundle of laughs. It's mostly rather sad cases of women who thought they would never be caught.

It started off with a policeman saying the physical evidence proves Darlie did it, and that her footprints were at the kitchen sink, and she is right where she belongs. Then Barbara Davies was interviewed who once wrote an anti-Darlie book, but she has since changed her mind. She said that not all photos were shown to the jury and evidence after evidence was not presented at trial. She then said there were fingerprints in blood with no known source.

Then Darlie's new lawyer, who I think is called Stephen Cooper, said that she is totally innocent and that bloody clothing was all bagged in the same bag causing contamination, and that the prosecution have never shown any motive. I agree that the rules of evidence don't require a motive, but I still think it's relevant. I suppose the prosecution think it was a suicide attempt.

Then Darlie's mother and sister were interviewed who said that the police don't want to admit a mistake because it would make them look like idiots.

The sock was not explained. There was a butcher's knife stuck in the grass outside which was never collected as evidence until a local DA ordered it to be collected at the start of the trial.

I just think the local police and FBI were not a proper homicide unit. They were mostly working class constables who knew nothing about the protection of a crime scene, or being a crime scene manager, and they disregarded leads and suspects. They had no practical knowledge or homicide experience.

According to that TV show Darlie is not allowed to associate with other prisoners because she is on death row.

I still think the original defense strategy was correct in trying to blame it on to the husband Darin, but that Darin wangled it so that Darlie would be represented by Darin's lawyer.

This is what Sinsaint in 2013 has said about this footprints at the kitchen sink matter which according to the police is supposed to be the conclusive evidence:
This is all most interesting.
I can't see what Sinsaint is pointing to with the pillow, but the case trajectory looks like a sure miscarriage.
I am essentially passive and will look for someone to bring that irrefutable data point showing she must be guilty.
Otherwise she is innocent.
Maybe Ampulla can help with that data point. Wasapi seems to be now ambivalent. Charlie Wilkes seemed pretty sure but his analysis leaves him open to an innocent view.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2016, 12:20 AM   #249
BrooklynBaby
Muse
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 788
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
That is interesting because Charlie Wilkes earlier in the thread said,

I don't know, but I'd like to have about 10 times more crime scene photos than what I have seen over the years. One of the problems with her story is that she says she was sleeping on the couch when she was stabbed or cut with the knife. The photos I have seen don't show any blood on the couch, and you'd sure expect to see some.

Her supporters say there was blood on the couch, but it doesn't show in the photos, and the couch was discarded after the crime. Kind of like the windshield on Kennedy's limo...


So that seems to be answered.
I bought a book in a bookstore in Dallas years ago that has a bunch of the Routier crime-scene photos in it. (As I recall it isn't much of a book -- just crime scene pictures with some comments here and there. The author had a display set up in the book store where I purchased it, so it is probably autographed.) One of the photos clearly shows what looks like blood on the top of the back-rest of the couch. It seemed to me to be significant, but what are the chances this guy got hold of a significant crime-scene photo and put it in a book, but the defense never saw it?

I'll see if I can find the book in the next day or two and drop by here with an update. It's been over ten years since I even thought about it.
BrooklynBaby is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2016, 12:29 AM   #250
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by BrooklynBaby View Post
I bought a book in a bookstore in Dallas years ago that has a bunch of the Routier crime-scene photos in it. (As I recall it isn't much of a book -- just crime scene pictures with some comments here and there. The author had a display set up in the book store where I purchased it, so it is probably autographed.) One of the photos clearly shows what looks like blood on the top of the back-rest of the couch. It seemed to me to be significant, but what are the chances this guy got hold of a significant crime-scene photo and put it in a book, but the defense never saw it?

I'll see if I can find the book in the next day or two and drop by here with an update. It's been over ten years since I even thought about it.
That would be really useful. If this woman is innocent it is as bad an mOJ as it gets.
Death row and your children dead when a serial operator did the crime is right out there, but villagers show no mercy.
They don't care, we see it all the time. Hang em high the witches.

Charlie is seriously encyclopedic, and expected to be right, but I back Sinsaint here so far.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2016, 01:57 PM   #251
wasapi
Philosopher
 
wasapi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 5,256
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post

(snipped)



Then Darlie's mother and sister were interviewed who said that the police don't want to admit a mistake because it would make them look like idiots.

The sock was not explained. There was a butcher's knife stuck in the grass outside which was never collected as evidence until a local DA ordered it to be collected at the start of the trial.
:
Speaking of the sister and mother, anyone really interested in this case should do some research on Mama Kee's behavior and actions since the trial.
__________________
Julia
wasapi is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2016, 04:17 PM   #252
Sinsaint
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Speaking of the sister and mother, anyone really interested in this case should do some research on Mama Kee's behavior and actions since the trial.
Clearly you'd much rather focus on character assassination because you don't have the ability to present anything factual about the case that can't be easily disputed.
Sinsaint is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2016, 08:46 AM   #253
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
Clearly you'd much rather focus on character assassination because you don't have the ability to present anything factual about the case that can't be easily disputed by making up ridiculous, barely plausible excuses.
FTFY
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2016, 02:38 PM   #254
Sinsaint
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
FTFY
This from the person who stated Darlie was not raped without qualifying that with a "based on your opinion only" so as not to mislead anyone into thinking your statement was a proven fact. But I'm sure you have some type of ridiculous, barely plausible excuse for that.
Sinsaint is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th December 2016, 10:04 PM   #255
moralhora
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 19
I'll admit: this whole case is strange for me - both from the perspective that Darlie did it and her story of a stranger.

I don't put much into the whole "dancing around the grave" story because people DO react strangely at grief at times, but more the "who else?" part of this crime. I mean, who else but Darlie? Why leave her alive while brutally killing her children? That part makes no sense. Which is why I tend to think she did it.

But then there's the sort of ****** evidence that she did.

Yeah, conflicted.
moralhora is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 06:16 AM   #256
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by Sinsaint View Post
This from the person who stated Darlie was not raped without qualifying that with a "based on your opinion only" so as not to mislead anyone into thinking your statement was a proven fact. But I'm sure you have some type of ridiculous, barely plausible excuse for that.
Per Darlie's numerous statements to the police at the scene, she was not raped.

Per Darlie's direct court testimony, she was not raped.

There, is that better?
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2016, 09:09 AM   #257
Sinsaint
Scholar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
Per Darlie's numerous statements to the police at the scene, she was not raped.

Per Darlie's direct court testimony, she was not raped.

There, is that better?
Per Darlie's numerous statements she thought she "felt pressure down there."

Per Darlie's testimony she wasn't sure what happened.

Per Darlie's appeal there was a request for the state to turn over the missing rape kit.

Those would be better statements because they reflect the record accurately.
Sinsaint is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 09:34 AM   #258
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,098
There is an interesting article on the internet about the latest developments in the Darlie Routiier case at:

https://youcouldbewrong.wordpress.co...-dna-evidence/

Quote:
A federal judge in Texas denied a prosecution request to dismiss Darlie Routier’s new trial request without further investigation. He has urged attorneys on both sides to go forward with DNA testing at the state level. Darlie Routier has been on death row since 1996 after two of her three sons were found dead in the home the family lived in. She and two of her sons, Devon, 6, and Damon, 5, were sleeping downstairs while her other son, Drake, a newborn, was sleeping upstairs with her husband, Darin, on June 6, 1996. Routier maintained an intruder entered the home, killed her sons and seriously injured her with several knife wounds. Police and prosecutors believed that Routier killed her sons and stabbed herself. Routier was arrested and convicted. She was sentenced to death and has been fighting her conviction for almost 20 years.

The case moved through Texas state courts and is now in the U.S. District Court in San Antonio. Routier’s lawyers, in a 58-page motion, have raised several issues challenging the state’s theory on the case including, the handling of evidence and inadequate assistance of defense counsel at the trial level. The appellate lawyers argue that her defense attorneys did not effectively challenge the prosecution’s motive that Routier murdered her sons for financial reasons and then tried to make it look like an intruder committed the crime.

The federal review has been on hold for 6 years, so that DNA tests can be done. Some tests have been completed and Routier’s defense believes it supports Routier’s claims of innocence. Other tests remain including a bloody fingerprint, a bloody sock found outside the home, and Routier’s nightgown. The judge ordered that the remaining DNA testing begin by June 30th of this year and that he receive status reports every 180 days after that date.A federal judge in Texas denied a prosecution request to dismiss Darlie Routier’s new trial request without further investigation. He has urged attorneys on both sides to go forward with DNA testing at the state level. Darlie Routier has been on death row since 1996 after two of her three sons were found dead in the home the family lived in. She and two of her sons, Devon, 6, and Damon, 5, were sleeping downstairs while her other son, Drake, a newborn, was sleeping upstairs with her husband, Darin, on June 6, 1996. Routier maintained an intruder entered the home, killed her sons and seriously injured her with several knife wounds. Police and prosecutors believed that Routier killed her sons and stabbed herself. Routier was arrested and convicted. She was sentenced to death and has been fighting her conviction for almost 20 years.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2016, 11:29 PM   #259
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
YOU usually are.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2016, 08:02 PM   #260
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
YOU usually are.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 03:08 AM   #261
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,098
The police don't always get it right, like those two keystone cops in the JonBenet Ramsey case SteveThomas and Kolar.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th December 2016, 09:15 AM   #262
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Henri McPhee View Post
The police don't always get it right, like those two keystone cops in the JonBenet Ramsey case SteveThomas and Kolar.
Well, the first part of your sentence is correct but no one here has ever stated that the police always get it right, so your point is? And the second half of your sentence makes you sound catty and jealous.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2016, 10:02 AM   #263
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,098
I still think it was the wrong verdict.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2016, 12:29 AM   #264
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Ah, and this is the problem. You think it is the wrong verdict, yet you cite nothing FACTUAL to support it. You do the exact same thing on the Jeffrey MacDonald Did It thread. You have yet to actually address the evidence against her or MacDonald.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2016, 02:59 AM   #265
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
Ah, and this is the problem. You think it is the wrong verdict, yet you cite nothing FACTUAL to support it. You do the exact same thing on the Jeffrey MacDonald Did It thread. You have yet to actually address the evidence against her or MacDonald.
desmirelle:
Can you refute specific data points Sinsaint has brought to the thread?
Any one will be a start. She seems to have started at the crime scene and worked assiduously from there.
My experience is that there is no point in considering other material, prosecutors, courts and so on until the crime scene is deconstructed in detail. Sinsaint is winning hands down on this thread from what I have seen.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2016, 03:39 AM   #266
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Sinsaint's post #87 implies that Darlie did bring Devon a towel because one was in a photograph near his body. That only proves there was a towel, it says nothing about who placed it there. S. then disputes the term "rag" v. "gauze pad" as if has deep meaning. It just means different people use different terminology for the same thing. Another post opines that Darlie was unconscious when Darlie has no head injury that would account for unconsciousness. From what I'm seeing, S. is just re-interpreting all evidence for Darlie rather than against her. She's even using fingerprint dust put on a surface as "proof" the police weren't doing a good job (Linch reported observation, Linch does not indicate whether or not the information that the sill was dusted was given prior to the observation.)
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2016, 03:42 AM   #267
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Oh, and the sock. Read "Precious Angels" where Barbara Davis points out that she could sprint out and plant the sock and she's much older than Darlie. Of course, Davis had since changed her mind (after her son's death at the hands of the police). But she makes a compelling argument against Darlie in the book.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 02:48 AM   #268
Henri McPhee
Illuminator
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,098
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
Oh, and the sock. Read "Precious Angels" where Barbara Davis points out that she could sprint out and plant the sock and she's much older than Darlie. Of course, Davis had since changed her mind (after her son's death at the hands of the police). But she makes a compelling argument against Darlie in the book.
It's most unlikely that Darlie sprinted out to plant the sock after the injuries she received, and being in a state of shock. The physical evidence does not point to Darlie as the police maintain. They jumped to conclusions. Darlies's husband will never feel safe until Darlie is executed.
Henri McPhee is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 08:35 AM   #269
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
I wrote: READ the book, not jump to a wild conclusion as to what Barbara Davis wrote. Hint: You are jumping to the conclusion, after her conviction, that Darlie told the truth about when she cut herself. She wasn't in shock, no one reported that. The book makes sense in its conclusion about the sock.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 09:20 AM   #270
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
I wrote: READ the book, not jump to a wild conclusion as to what Barbara Davis wrote. Hint: You are jumping to the conclusion, after her conviction, that Darlie told the truth about when she cut herself. She wasn't in shock, no one reported that. The book makes sense in its conclusion about the sock.
Can you help me by explaining why she thought this plan would make her life better? I have studied a score of cases where plans looked ridiculous, and lo and behold, it turns out in every case they are completely innocent.
Jeremy Bamber.
Mark Lundy.
Ewen MacDonald.
David Bain.
Amanda Knox
Raffaele Sollecito
Sabrina and Cosima Miseri
The West Memphis 3.
The Norfolk 4
Jack Daniel MacCullough
David Tamihere
The Ramsey family
Steven Avery

The list is endless. Look at the science behind alibis.
I can't be sure about this case, but it smacks of the most ludicrous and unpleasant concoction for a young woman with financial problems.
It looks exactly like an intruder, a big boy who did it and ran away. I bet it's what it looks like.

Last edited by Samson; 7th January 2017 at 09:22 AM.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 11:47 AM   #271
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Can you help me by explaining why she thought this plan would make her life better? I have studied a score of cases where plans looked ridiculous, and lo and behold, it turns out in every case they are completely innocent.
Jeremy Bamber.
Mark Lundy.
Ewen MacDonald.
David Bain.
Amanda Knox
Raffaele Sollecito
Sabrina and Cosima Miseri
The West Memphis 3.
The Norfolk 4
Jack Daniel MacCullough
David Tamihere
The Ramsey family
Steven Avery

The list is endless. Look at the science behind alibis.
I can't be sure about this case, but it smacks of the most ludicrous and unpleasant concoction for a young woman with financial problems.
It looks exactly like an intruder, a big boy who did it and ran away. I bet it's what it looks like.
What, exactly, have you studied with regard to this case?
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 01:59 PM   #272
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Can you help me by explaining why she thought this plan would make her life better?
PLAN? Where exactly in the quote you cite did I say Darlie Routier had a PLAN? I told Henri to READ A BOOK and look at the conclusion about a SOCK that Barbara Davis made before she changed her mind.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 02:01 PM   #273
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
What, exactly, have you studied with regard to this case?
Sinsaint mainly. She has the answers I look for. I don't believe anyone goes for this nonsensical strategy to relieve financial pressure. As plans it is a five star fail, you gonna get busted. Of course you will say it nearly worked or some such, but I don't buy it. I looked at Charlie's posts and he appears to have not understood the blood evidence.
I asked about the screen door cutting and SS answered to my satisfaction. The case looks like a crock to me, maybe you can tell me what surely sinks her claims? One big immoveable data point or locking piece. I probably asked earlier and you probably answered, sorry if so.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 05:46 PM   #274
Ampulla of Vater
Master Poster
 
Ampulla of Vater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of the White Line of Toldt
Posts: 2,995
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Sinsaint mainly. She has the answers I look for. I don't believe anyone goes for this nonsensical strategy to relieve financial pressure. As plans it is a five star fail, you gonna get busted. Of course you will say it nearly worked or some such, but I don't buy it. I looked at Charlie's posts and he appears to have not understood the blood evidence.
I asked about the screen door cutting and SS answered to my satisfaction. The case looks like a crock to me, maybe you can tell me what surely sinks her claims? One big immoveable data point or locking piece. I probably asked earlier and you probably answered, sorry if so.
So reading one anonymous internet poster's POV is enough for you to declare someone innocent? Someone who was tried and convicted and has lost many appeals, I might add. You haven't looked through any official sources of the case and you haven't researched any of the pieces of evidence, yet you feel educated enough about the case to declare all those other people wrong, and to shout from the mountain tops, "Darlie is innocent!

See, I can't do that. I have to go down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. I have to read everything I can get my hands on, so I am sure I understand the case inside and out. Only then do I feel educated enough to render an opinion.

Specifically, with regard to motive, is there any good reason, ever, to murder one's children? Susan Smith did it for a man, is that reasonable? Brandi Worley did it because her husband wanted a divorce, is that reasonable? In the end, the "why" doesn't really matter and, in fact, does not have to be a part of the State's case, here in the U.S. The more important aspect is that Darlie's many stories of the crime did not add up and there was no evidence of an intruder whatsoever. The crime could not have happened the way she said it happened, from the slashed screen to the broken glass, to the jewelry, to the closed and locked outside gate, to the blood evidence.
Ampulla of Vater is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 06:09 PM   #275
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by Ampulla of Vater View Post
So reading one anonymous internet poster's POV is enough for you to declare someone innocent? Someone who was tried and convicted and has lost many appeals, I might add. You haven't looked through any official sources of the case and you haven't researched any of the pieces of evidence, yet you feel educated enough about the case to declare all those other people wrong, and to shout from the mountain tops, "Darlie is innocent!

See, I can't do that. I have to go down rabbit hole after rabbit hole. I have to read everything I can get my hands on, so I am sure I understand the case inside and out. Only then do I feel educated enough to render an opinion.

Specifically, with regard to motive, is there any good reason, ever, to murder one's children? Susan Smith did it for a man, is that reasonable? Brandi Worley did it because her husband wanted a divorce, is that reasonable? In the end, the "why" doesn't really matter and, in fact, does not have to be a part of the State's case, here in the U.S. The more important aspect is that Darlie's many stories of the crime did not add up and there was no evidence of an intruder whatsoever. The crime could not have happened the way she said it happened, from the slashed screen to the broken glass, to the jewelry, to the closed and locked outside gate, to the blood evidence.
Which one of these points am I best to research? Which individual one proves she is guilty. Proof normally lies with one big point, one for which an alternative explanation does not exist? I will do the hard work if you name the point and give a few links.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 08:27 PM   #276
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Which one of these points am I best to research? Which individual one proves she is guilty. Proof normally lies with one big point, one for which an alternative explanation does not exist? I will do the hard work if you name the point and give a few links.
Cite the major cases where ONE BIG POINT is the proof. I've always noticed the devil is in the details. Like where the motion sensor light wasn't on even though the police arrived within the time limit in which it was to have remained on...on the path the mythic intruder would have taken out of the yard.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th January 2017, 09:05 PM   #277
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
Cite the major cases where ONE BIG POINT is the proof. I've always noticed the devil is in the details. Like where the motion sensor light wasn't on even though the police arrived within the time limit in which it was to have remained on...on the path the mythic intruder would have taken out of the yard.
That is a fair point. For that you need a simple set of parameters showing when she claims the intruder came, how soon after she called the police and when they arrived and a set of scientific tests on the sensor and light.
I just get surprised at a scene like this not yielding certainty. Despite claims to the contrary, there is certainty Sheila Caffel killed herself then her family by a host of data points for example. Ignoring what the police claim is the first step to discovery.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 09:35 AM   #278
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
That is a fair point. For that you need a simple set of parameters showing when she claims the intruder came, how soon after she called the police and when they arrived and a set of scientific tests on the sensor and light.
I just get surprised at a scene like this not yielding certainty. Despite claims to the contrary, there is certainty Sheila Caffel killed herself then her family by a host of data points for example. Ignoring what the police claim is the first step to discovery.
Well, let's start with DARLIE's version. She called as soon as she chased the mythical intruder out. Check the time on the call. She was STILL on the phone with the same operator, same call, when the police arrived. Check that time. The motion sensor stays on more than 15 minutes. Did 15 minutes elapse between the call and the arrival?

Last edited by desmirelle; 8th January 2017 at 09:37 AM.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 05:40 PM   #279
Samson
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 7,920
Originally Posted by desmirelle View Post
Well, let's start with DARLIE's version. She called as soon as she chased the mythical intruder out. Check the time on the call. She was STILL on the phone with the same operator, same call, when the police arrived. Check that time. The motion sensor stays on more than 15 minutes. Did 15 minutes elapse between the call and the arrival?
Is that a rhetorical question? I don't know or how to find out quickly. But I bet Sinsaint and Ampulla know enough one way or other.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2017, 08:21 PM   #280
desmirelle
Critical Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 445
Originally Posted by Samson View Post
Is that a rhetorical question? I don't know or how to find out quickly. But I bet Sinsaint and Ampulla know enough one way or other.
No, that was not a rhetorical question. It was a question of how well can YOU research. The answer I'm getting is "not very well at all" and Ampulla is right, you're just reading these posts and drawing conclusions from them.

BTW, the answer to the question I asked in the post is: No.

Last edited by desmirelle; 8th January 2017 at 08:24 PM.
desmirelle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Trials and Errors

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.