ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Notices

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gender discrimination

Old 19th June 2018, 12:56 PM   #361
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
I agree, hence my comment that WE men have a lot to atone for, if only 1% are bothering to empathize with women. I don't think the number is that low, but it probably is very low, given the deplorable state of affairs that were allowed to go on for so long.

Women are guilty of this too, which is why an all-male run government is just as dumb and unrepresentative as an all-female run government.
The only way I can make any sense of this is if I take you to mean that *I* have to atone for not making sure *you* have been sufficiently empathetic towards women.

Which still doesn't make sense at all, really. Sorry.

ETA: Though I guess it does support the idea that it's not a gendered problem. Playing along with your formulation: WE ALL (men AND women) have a lot to atone for, if only 1% aren't bothering to empathize with the rest of us. And that problem of empathy is something we see a lot of in politicians generally, regardless of gender.

Last edited by theprestige; 19th June 2018 at 01:26 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 12:58 PM   #362
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

If neither gender is bothering to empathize with the other, it would be a bad idea to allow either gender to accrue too much power, wouldn't you say?
Your gendered distinction is a red herring. Humans don't always empathize as much as we'd like. But we still have to put humans in positions of power, in order to have a government by humans for humans. It's an empathy problem, not a gender problem.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 02:17 PM   #363
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
I'd implement term limits rather than a gender quota. In my opinion, at least part of the problem in the U.S. government is that the only person who is limited in the amount of time served is the President; I believe we'd be better off with more turnover. I figure Senators can serve two terms; that's twelve years, according to the current election cycle for Senators, and then we'd lengthen the terms for Representatives to four years and limit them to two terms as well. Supreme Court Justices should only serve a maximum of 15 years. We can still have election cycles every two years for those positions that require it and just cycle it through the states (starting with the ones who've had Senators or Representatives serving the longest periods, then moving to the mid-range ones, then the ones who've held positions the shortest). It has the benefit of limiting the length of time a lobbyist can get their hooks into someone, plus we're not overhauling the entire Legislative and Judicial branches every time a term limit is up, because there will be enough people who've held the position for a few years that there will still be stability in the government. I also think Supreme Court Justices could be chosen by election rather than appointment; right now the idea that one person, essentially, has control over who goes in the SC gives me hives (I know they have to be confirmed by the Senate and House, but in reality right now the President has the role of choosing the people in the SC and I don't think that's right). At the very least, the method of choosing a SC Justice should be overhauled.

That's a governmental change I could get behind. Gender quotas are not.
Legislative term limits have been attempted and have shown numerous problems:

Quote:
Twenty-one states passed limits, which are now in place in 15 state legislatures. Academics have studied them intensively, by comparing states with term limits to those without, by tracking legislative behavior before and after the imposition of limits, and by combining these approaches to see whether term limits set states on a different path than states without the reform. A clear scholarly consensus has emerged on many of their effects — or lack thereof.

First, term limits would not “drain the swamp” of Washington. They would simply recirculate the water. A host of studies have found — perhaps surprisingly — that implementing term limits has not changed either the characteristics of the politicians who inhabit state legislatures or the process that brings them there.

Term limits have also failed to open up more opportunities to female or minority candidates, with a few notable exceptions. For better or worse, the politicians who come to state capitols today look much like the term-limited veterans they replaced. As Gary Moncrief, Lynda Powell and Tim Storey concluded in their study of the composition of legislatures, “The notion that term limits will sweep out the old politicians is true (almost by definition), but the idea that term limits will sweep in a new breed is not.”

And what happens when term limits put rookie lawmakers in a statehouse? They lack legislative experience. According to surveys of legislators, statehouse observers and interest groups, members elected after term limits have less institutional knowledge than their predecessors and have less expertise on policy or the political process.
Linky.

Quote:
She said the big winners of term limits, according to her research, were special interests and lobbyists, because those inexperienced politicians have to get their information from somewhere.

"Even though voters were promised that term limits would severe the cozy ties between legislators and lobbyists, what we actually found is that legislators are more likely to turn to lobbyists for information," Sarbaugh-Thompson said.

Another finding in the research is that when these politicians come into office, they are more ambitious. But not necessarily in a good way, because they have limited time in office and don't focus on long-term solutions.

"They want to concentrate on things that are quick fixes, easy to do," Sarbaugh-Thompson said. "Anything that's really tough, they can kick the can down the road and then the next batch of people have to cope with it."
Linky.
Old 19th June 2018, 03:06 PM   #364
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I agree, hence my comment that WE men have a lot to atone for, if only 1% are bothering to empathize with women.
What you mean "we", white man?

Maybe you have something to atone for, but I do not.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2018, 03:32 PM   #365
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What you mean "we", white man?

Maybe you have something to atone for, but I do not.
As best I can figure out, Fudbucker means that we, collectively, have not been doing enough to demand empathy in our lawmakers.

And for whatever reason he tacks on a gender specific condemnation, even though it's not really a gendered problem.
Old 19th June 2018, 11:12 PM   #366
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Abooga View Post
I suppose by making it compulsory for employers to give the same paid leave to mothers and fathers... I just checked and it seems it is quite possible that it will be put into practice in Spain soon.
Okay, that seems doable. I thought you meant making it compulsory that the employees take the leave. Some might consider a leave, even with pay, to be a set back to their ambitions as others in the field will be developing experience, connections, etc. while they will be out of the loop, and thus make a personal choice not to take that leave even though their employer is compelled to offer it.

If men make that choice disproportionately it's still a potential problem, at least if you see differences between the genders as a problem.

I don't know what sort of ratios we'd see or even if that sort of choice would be common, it's just a potential issue that came to mind.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM   #367
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Okay, that seems doable. I thought you meant making it compulsory that the employees take the leave. Some might consider a leave, even with pay, to be a set back to their ambitions as others in the field will be developing experience, connections, etc. while they will be out of the loop, and thus make a personal choice not to take that leave even though their employer is compelled to offer it.

If men make that choice disproportionately it's still a potential problem, at least if you see differences between the genders as a problem.

I don't know what sort of ratios we'd see or even if that sort of choice would be common, it's just a potential issue that came to mind.
In Sweden they started seeing more paternity leave when a certain amount of time was reserved for dads as non-transferable and use-it-or-lose-it, and it seems to have had positive repercussions in terms of men's involvement and happiness in parenting.

https://apolitical.co/solution_artic...es-fatherhood/
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #368
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
In Sweden they started seeing more paternity leave when a certain amount of time was reserved for dads as non-transferable and use-it-or-lose-it, and it seems to have had positive repercussions in terms of men's involvement and happiness in parenting.

https://apolitical.co/solution_artic...es-fatherhood/
Cool, thanks for that.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM   #369
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I’m just gonna leave this here:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #370
d4m10n
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Iím just gonna leave this here:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Lazy *********** Danes, won't even invent their own word for pussy whipped.
d4m10n is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM   #371
kedo1981
Master Poster

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
Lazy *********** Danes, won't even invent their own word for pussy whipped.
You mean it's not "pussy-bergen whipped-borgen
kedo1981 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM   #372
pharphis
Graduate Poster

Janice Fiamengo give some reasons to hate men, here.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=qaa64Ol_wTg
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events