ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:11 PM   #41
Scott Sommers
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
This is pretty much his MO nowadays: Find all threads started by Astute Perspicuous
You mean to say I wasted all that time typing a message to someone who may very well being among the marginally functional?
Scott Sommers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:16 PM   #42
Luntoc
Scholar

Originally Posted by Astute Perspicuous View Post
A couple of years ago I remember a gaggle of you so-called "debunkers" were yapping on and on and on about peer review.

So, they give you a peer reviewed scientific study about nano-thermite.

Now, you try and pick apart the peer review process, the scientists involved, and the legitimacy of the peer review itself.

Ha...

Totally predictable reaction.

Now think hard, but try not to hurt your lil ole brains on a thought, ok.

You are being squeezed between science and common sense.
If it really was peer reviewed, you could've at least given us a source to check up. But oh no we're just supposed to take your word for it.
Luntoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 01:23 PM   #43
Bobert
Illuminator

Will this be YET ANOTHER hit and run poster?
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 05:02 PM   #44
alienentity
Illuminator

Originally Posted by The Platypus View Post
Obviously you don't think we know that the whole nano-thermite paper was a fraud.

1) nano-thermite doesn't exist beyond small quantities in labs and didn't exist at all in 2001.

2) The chain of custody of these samples is ridiculous and suspicious.

3) Bentham is nothing but a pay for publishing scheme that doesn't do any kind of proper peer review. This was proven beyond a doubt when they published a submitted fake paper of jibberish as soon as they got their cash.

4) Stephen Jones is a known fraud known for making crazy claims and dishonesty.

It doesn't take much of an examination, common sense or thought to clearly see that what we got here was a fraud and a scam.
Just to clarify a few things you wrote:

1) nanothermite seems to have existed in some government research labs prior to 2001. There's no evidence of large quantities of the material being created; there's no evidence that any of the US material ended up in the WTC.

3) Bentham's didn't publish the nonsense paper. They accepted it for publication, but the author didn't pay the necessary fee.
alienentity is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 05:09 PM   #45
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by TruthersLie View Post
Personally I just use the twoof "papers" (snicker) for drinking games.
every time they mention a vast conspiracy 1 shot
thermite 1 shot
nanothermite 1 shot
da jooooooz did it 3 shots
CD hushaboom 1 shot
pentagon flyover 2 shots
no debris at the pentagon 1 shot
no wreckage at shanksville 1 shot
Is it me, or does this sound like a way to get alcohol poisoning?
ponderingturtle is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:36 PM   #46
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by scott.in.taiwan View Post
It would appear he is afraid of speaking about these results to an expert audience.
Yes. It would appear so.
Old 23rd August 2009, 07:50 PM   #47
BigAl
Philosopher

Frankly, the fact that he has not presented findings of this sort at an academic conference strikes me as highly unusual, particualry since he and Gage show no relucantce to speak about them to an uneducated audience. It would appear he is afraid of speaking about these results to an expert audience.

If I ever get to ask Mr. Gage a question, it will be something like "why have you never given your presentation in public to New Yorkers and why don't any of your hundreds of members give the presentation in their local professional chapters?"
Dept of Redundancy Dept.
BigAl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 08:01 PM   #48
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

You Asked For Peer Review...You Got It.

As has been said here and in so many other pages of posts in this forum,, no we have not seen peer review of any 9/11 conspiracy paper.

Peer review , in its most literal and simple definition, would have several persons with relevent training and background read and critique the paper and in the end decieding whether or not it was scientifically correct and following acceptable standards of scientific research, Said peers would have no vested interest in promoting a specific view.

Obviously since the review that happens at Jof911S does not meet any of the above it is only peer reviewed inasmuch as the proponents of the papers label it as such.

This means that their claim of peer review is about as accurate as my stating that I am a resident of Mare Tranquilium
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 08:42 PM   #49
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
Without the hit part, yes.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 08:54 PM   #50
TruthersLie
This space for rent.

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Is it me, or does this sound like a way to get alcohol poisoning?
or very Very Drunk
TruthersLie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:00 PM   #51
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

on no, no, no. I am quite positive that he will return and coherently address all issues brought forward. I am sure that this was not just a post designed to rile up the debunkers for entertainment value.

Of course I could be wrong...........
jaydeehess is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:09 PM   #52
TexasJack
Penultimate Amazing

Let's not jump to conclusions, he stuck around, well for a little bit in this thread he created and came up with this gem:
http://www.internationalskeptics.com...ad.php?t=98001

Quote:
Former NFL Star Latest To Question 9/11 Official Story
Ex-Dallas Cowboys lineman Stepnoski tells Indiana newspaper of doubts.
TexasJack is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:20 PM   #53
Foolmewunz
Grammar Resistance Leader
TLA Dictator

Originally Posted by alienentity View Post
Just to clarify a few things you wrote:

1) nanothermite seems to have existed in some government research labs prior to 2001. There's no evidence of large quantities of the material being created; there's no evidence that any of the US material ended up in the WTC.

3) Bentham's didn't publish the nonsense paper. They accepted it for publication, but the author didn't pay the necessary fee.
Bolding mine.
Alienentity, is this correct? Truly? I love it!
They know their audience of cherry pickers so well that they only sent it in without the check (or better yet with a rubber check) because they didn't care if it was actually "published", they just wanted their ignominious tools to be able to say that it was "accepted for publication by a peer reviewed journal".

It's not that liberals have become less tolerant. It's that conservatives have become more intolerable.
Foolmewunz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:24 PM   #54
CHF
Illuminator

A couple of years ago I remember a gaggle of you so-called "debunkers" were yapping on and on and on about peer review.

Something to ponder, Astute Perspicuous:

Steven Jones claims to have found evidence of thermite/thermate/nano-thermite in the WTC dust.

And so what did he do with it?

Well, first he had it "peer-reviewed" and published in his own journal. This failed to convince anyone except his band of moronic truth movement followers, yet he persisted with this nonsense for a couple years.

Then, in response to his critics he finally sought out a publication that wasn't his own and settled on a Pakistani-based vanity journal that no one outside of the TM takes seriously. Indeed, it will pretty much publish anything so long as you pay them.

So the question truthers should be asking themselves is: if Steven Jones really has the "smoking gun" that he claims to, then why does he insist on making such a mockery of the peer-review process???

Why is he making every effort to avoid journals with any credibility? Surely that would be his first stop, no?

Steven Jones has all the symptoms of a self-conscious fraud.

He has LIED about photos showing "firefighters staring into a pool of molten steel" (the light was from a flashlight), LIED about "thermite cuts" (from the clean-up operation), and LIED about his work being peer-reviewed.

Seriously, how much more obvious does his fraud have to be before the truthers clue in?
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd August 2009, 09:38 PM   #55
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
They know their audience of cherry pickers so well that they only sent it in without the check (or better yet with a rubber check) because they didn't care if it was actually "published", they just wanted their ignominious tools to be able to say that it was "accepted for publication by a peer reviewed journal".

He was referring to the auto-generated gibberish "paper" that a couple of researchers submitted to Bentham.

Apparently you can submit a paper, but only have to pay if and when it gets accepted for publication.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 02:56 AM   #56
TruthersLie
This space for rent.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Bolding mine.
Foolme.

This was with a different Bentham open access journal, and what happened is the people who used the computer gibberish paper, submitted it WITHOUT ANY MONEY, and were then notified that it had passed peer review and were asked to send $800 to a P.O. Box in Dubai to have it published. Instead they took the emails and made it public what they did. So at no time did they ever intend to pay the money to publish.

The editor of that journal quit in disgust (a common enough feature with bentham editors), and the person running that journal then came out and said "we knew it was fake, but were trying to catch the people trying to scam us."

That is a BS line, because if they did, why didn't the head editor stand up and announce the SAME THING? The head editor quit in disgust. That tells you their standards.

http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2...-worse-at.html
has the complete story of Bentham's wonderful publishing record.
TruthersLie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 04:05 AM   #57
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

I have asked that this troll bait be merged with one of the other threads (and then this post, if wished, can be discarded).

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 04:16 AM   #58
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Now, you try and pick apart the peer review process, the scientists involved, and the legitimacy of the peer review itself.

Ha...

Totally predictable reaction.

Now think hard, but try not to hurt your lil ole brains on a thought, ok.

You are being squeezed between science and common sense.
This is a classic piece of truther delusional thinking. It's quite closely related to the Dunning-Krueger effect, and is an example of the problem with conspiracy theorists in general. They aren't intelligent people, but they can see what intelligent people do, and the results they get, so they try to do the same thing themselves. However, the bit they forget to include is the bit about actually being intelligent.

Take peer review. It's a process by which intelligent people present their data, reasoning and conclusions to other intelligent people, have them scrutinised, and obtain some level of approval that their conclusions, while not actually correct, are reasonable. This is of course not accessible to truthers, because they are incapable of reasoning from data to a conclusion; they don't realise this themselves because they think reasoning backwards from a conclusion is the same thing. But they see intelligent people's conclusions peer reviewed, and so they want some for themselves.

Their first attempt, the Journal of 9/11 Studies, involved getting unintelligent people to scrutinise their conclusions and approve them. It took them a while to see the problems with this, but eventually they realised that the intelligent people wouldn't take them seriously. So now they've paid someone to pretend that intelligent people have scrutinised their work, so that they can pretend that it's been approved. But still, the intelligent people aren't convinced. What more do they have to do?

Somewhere in the South Pacific, a tribe are carving ever more complicated shapes from local woods and tying them together with ever-finer twine, and what they build with these things looks ever more and more like a real American flying boat. And the truthers are coming up with new and, to be honest, sometimes quite imaginative ways (they've never been short of imagination) of building an intellectual facade that gives the outward appearance, to those who know no better, of a genuine peer review. But their belief, that if they can come up with something that looks near enough to the real thing then the intelligent people will suddenly agree with everything they say, is about as well grounded as the South Sea islanders' belief that if they can make their bamboo-and-string flying boat look enough like the real thing, then it will fly away to distant lands of plenty and return with the cargo they so desire.

Dave
Me: So what you're saying is that, if the load carrying ability of the lower structure is reduced to the point where it can no longer support the load above it, it will collapse without a jolt, right?

Tony Szamboti: That is right
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 04:27 AM   #59
Quad4_72
AI-EE-YAH!

I don't see any peer review...
Looks like the one on top has a magazine, thus needs less reloading. Also, the muzzle shroud makes it less likely for a spree killer to burn his hands. The pistol grip makes it more comfortable for the spree killer to shoot. thaiboxerken
Quad4_72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 04:38 AM   #60
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Not to tout my own horn, but I proposed the term cargo cult argumentation for what the truthers -- and conspiracy theorists in general -- do. The main difference between them and the South Sea Islanders is that the latter have a valid excuse.
Old 24th August 2009, 04:49 AM   #61
DC
Banned

Jones and co are frauds.
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 06:13 AM   #62
Justin39640
Illuminator

boy this guy sure likes to start useless threads
Old 24th August 2009, 06:31 AM   #63
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami

Originally Posted by TruthersLie View Post
the person running that journal then came out and said "we knew it was fake, but were trying to catch the people trying to scam us."
one wonders if they attempt to buy discrete low-cost viagra for the same reasons
Old 24th August 2009, 07:31 AM   #64
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthersLie
OH look kids... another run by twoofing.
Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
This is pretty much his MO nowadays: Find all threads started by Astute Perspicuous
A strafing run with empty guns...
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 07:59 AM   #65
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DC View Post
Jones and co are frauds.
Who are you and what have you done with the artist formerly known as Dictator Cheney???

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 08:19 AM   #66
DC
Banned

Originally Posted by T.A.M. View Post
Who are you and what have you done with the artist formerly known as Dictator Cheney???

TAM
Borg......forced assimilation

HELP
DC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 08:34 AM   #67
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Resistance is futile
Old 24th August 2009, 09:29 AM   #68
CHF
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ElMondoHummus View Post
You might get away with forgiving anyone else in the so-called "Truth" movement for not understanding legitimate review, but Jones cannot escape judgement on this. He knows what real peer review is. Which is why I have doubt that he genuinely believes in what he's publishing: The fact that he can't get the work accepted by real publications has got to tell him that there's something wrong there. Other conspiracy peddlers may not know this, but Jones certainly must realize it.
The fact that Jones' first attempt at peer-review was in his own journal should tell us everything we need to know about the man.

The fact that he followed up on that fraud with a submission to a journal that agrees to publish 100% pure gibberish for $800 simply seals the deal.

Steven Jones isn't clueless. He knows full well that he's a fraud.

None of this "peer-review" charade is designed to convince scientists, engineers, or anyone of consequence - he's simply trying to keep his little fan club hanging around, worshipping him for as long as he possibly can.

Insofar as that's his real goal, he's been very successful to this point. Each of his phony "peer-reviews" was more than enough to convince his followers that he was legit. They bought it hook line and sinker, no questions asked, until the fraud got so embarrassing and impossible to defend that ol' Steven had to cook up a new fraud to keep the kids satisfied.

So after Bentham who knows where he'll be off to. It won't be in search of a REAL journal, that much we can safely assume.
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 09:41 AM   #69
~enigma~
Banned

He wasn't dismissed or the object of open ridicule by his colleagues.
He was not dismissed by ALL yet he was only 100% credible to a rather small community of crackpot scientists (ignoranuses) that believe in cold fusion and continue to meet annually.
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 10:16 AM   #70
Tricky
Briefly immortal

Mod Info I've merged two very similar threads on the peer review of the Bentham article.
Posted By:Tricky
Tricky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 10:17 AM   #71
Arus808
Philosopher

[ot] wow, i was reading page 1 of the old thread, hit the next page arrow and ended up on page 1 again and wondering why I was reading the same posts again. guess i hit it at the time the threads were merged...way weird.[/ot]

“Life may begin at 30, but it doesn’t get real interesting until about 150.”
“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”
Arus808 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 10:24 AM   #72
~enigma~
Banned

Originally Posted by Arus808 View Post
[ot] wow, i was reading page 1 of the old thread, hit the next page arrow and ended up on page 1 again and wondering why I was reading the same posts again. guess i hit it at the time the threads were merged...way weird.[/ot]
~enigma~ is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 10:45 AM   #73
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Arus808 View Post
Page 32743, paragraph 7 of the NWO agent's handbook:
"Never post a public acknowledgement of a temporal shift often refrred to as a "time warp" or "time slip". Doing so will be punishable by the with holding of one (1) day's pay."
Old 24th August 2009, 12:34 PM   #74
Astute Perspicuous
Banned

Great Way To Mass Everything Together

Under one thread...

Create a thread called "Peer Review Info" then mass all of the posts you don't agree with into it.

Your actions are so obvious...
Astute Perspicuous is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 12:37 PM   #75
TruthersLie
This space for rent.

Oh da twoof came back da very next day... too bad he is such a coward he won't stay and play.

It would be nice if you actually provided ANY information instead of bs posts with completely DEBUNKED ideas..

come on twoof..

what peer reviewed journal article was that again?
Old 24th August 2009, 12:45 PM   #76
twinstead
Penultimate Amazing

Under one thread...

Create a thread called "Peer Review Info" then mass all of the posts you don't agree with into it.

You seagull drop a post in the OP and don't come back to answer ANY of the questions asked or address ANY of the issues raised, then when you FINALLY do come back, you just post this crap and skip off again.

YOUR actions are so obvious.
Old 24th August 2009, 02:13 PM   #77
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

Under one thread...

Not nearly as obvious as your trolling.

TAM
Old 24th August 2009, 03:37 PM   #78
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Under one thread...

Typical loon statement.

Pretend we are stupid then and explain what is so obvious. Do attempt some specificity.

Though let me guess, it has something to do with either leftist gatekeeping, or neo-con/NWO disinfo.
Old 24th August 2009, 03:40 PM   #79
jaydeehess
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
YOUR actions are so obvious.
In point of fact it seems quite obvious that A.C. intends on taking no actions whatsoever. He won't explain his statements or debate them. If he won't do that perhaps his attitude illustrates quite well one reason why the 911 conspiracy crowd cannot get together a middling good sized rally in any major city.

Last edited by jaydeehess; 24th August 2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 24th August 2009, 05:46 PM   #80
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
This is a classic piece of truther delusional thinking. It's quite closely related to the Dunning-Krueger effect, and is an example of the problem with conspiracy theorists in general. They aren't intelligent people, but they can see what intelligent people do, and the results they get, so they try to do the same thing themselves. However, the bit they forget to include is the bit about actually being intelligent.

I believe the official name for this is "Monkey See, Monkey Do".
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories