ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags FBI conspiracies , Thomas Pickard

Old 24th August 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

When did FBI-Director Thomas J. Pickard retire?

Folks, i'm confused.

I stumbled across an old January 2002 article i have in my bookmarks which makes an in my opinion very good, early case for LIHOP and illustrates the beginning cover-up. It was published on wsws.org and i'm sure there was an english version, but i can't find it anymore - here's the german one. So i've read it again and it contains two paragraphs about the retirement of Thomas J. Prickard (and Neil J. Gallagher) AFTER the FBI turned their attention away from 9/11 to investigate the anthrax attacks in early October 2001. They say that Prickard announced his retirement, aged 50, on October 31, 2001 and retired on November 30, 2001.

Now, i decided to see what googling Prickard turns up, and the first hit was the wikipedia article. It states that Prickard was FBI-Director until September 4, 2001, one week before the attacks.

While i don't agree with everything on wsws.org, i consider them to be professional journalists who get the basic facts right, so i was quite surprised but willing to believe the wikipedia-article - after i've backchecked the FBIs website biography of Pickard, which contains an eerily similar text - tsk tsk, wikipedia, who copied whom...

But then i dugg some more and found not only SourceWatch, but also the Washington Post and even the FBI on another page of their website dating the announcement of his retirement October 31, 2001.

So, help me, am i missing something here? When did he retire? And, bonus question, why exactly?

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 24th August 2009 at 11:39 AM.
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 11:44 AM   #2
CHF
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
When did he retire? And, bonus question, why exactly?
Not sure on the question of when. Not sure why it matters either.

Unless you have additional information that somehow implicates him in the plot, all we're left with is Pickard announcing retirement in late October and hanging up the gloves a month later.

So what?
CHF is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 11:50 AM   #3
afinemadness
Thinker

Very simple. Louis Freeh resigned as of June 25 2001. Pickard was interim director until Mueller was approved by the senate.
Old 24th August 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
T.A.M.
Penultimate Amazing

dum da dum dum...dum!!!!

(and yes, that is all I have to say, because that is all the topic deserves).

TAM
T.A.M. is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 11:54 AM   #5
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

But when? Well, i've helped myself and got the clue that he retired as a special agent after he stopped being FBI-Director. Well, nevermind, could have been SIGNIFICANT ...
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Baylor
Philosopher

The FBI has mandatory retirement after 10 years for directors and 25 years for agents. This thread is stupid.
Baylor is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 12:02 PM   #7
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Pickard was only an acting director; he was replaced on September 4, 2001 by Mueller. However, as he was an existing FBI man, this did not necessarily mean his retirement from the Bureau, and so he stayed on for another month or so.

As to why he retired, my first guess would be because he didn't get the job permanently.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Pardalis
Banned

But when? Well, i've helped myself and got the clue that he retired as a special agent after he stopped being FBI-Director. Well, nevermind, could have been SIGNIFICANT ...
Oh I love it when you talk pink.

Should we file this under "another miss", along side your failed attempt to involve the Lehman Brothers in a conspiracy?
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 02:04 PM   #9
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Thanks Brainster and afinemadness. Interesting career (from the FBI-Announcement):

Quote:
In 1993, Pickard was promoted to the New York Field Office to serve as the Special Agent in Charge of its National Security Division, supervising the trials of the World Trade Center bombing defendants, the trial of Sheik Omar Ahmed Ali Abdel Rahman and his co-conspirators, the conviction of Ramzi Youssef and his associates for plotting to blow up the U. S. airliners, and the day-to-day investigation into the explosion of TWA 800.

What does he do today?
Old 24th August 2009, 02:11 PM   #10
Sword_Of_Truth
Penultimate Amazing

Folks, i'm confused.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.
Sword_Of_Truth is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 02:21 PM   #11
tuc0

What a dumb article. My favourite paragraphs:

Quote:
Bei der Untersuchung jedes Verbrechens muss eine zentrale Frage lauten: "Wem nützt es?" Die Hauptnutznießer der Zerstörung des World Trade Center befinden sich in den Vereinigten Staaten: die Bush-Regierung, das Pentagon, die CIA und das FBI, die Kriegswaffenindustrie, die Ölindustrie. Es ist gerechtfertigt zu fragen, ob jene, die in einem solchen Ausmaß von dieser Tragödie profitierten, nachhalfen sie herbeizuführen.

Wer glaubt, es sei unvorstellbar, dass die US-Regierung eine solche Tat begehen könnte, wäre gut beraten, aus der Geschichte zu lernen. Seit die Vereinigten Staaten vor hundert Jahren zu einer Weltmacht wurden, hat die herrschende Klasse in nahezu jedem Krieg zu Maßnahmen und Gewalttaten ähnlicher Art gegriffen, um die instinktive Abneigung der amerikanischen Bevölkerung vor internationalen Konflikten zu überwinden.
After that I stopped reading...
tuc0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 02:43 PM   #12
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Folks, i'm confused.
... i have in my bookmarks which makes an in my opinion very good, early case for LIHOP and illustrates the beginning cover-up....

So, help me, am i missing something here? When did he retire? And, bonus question, why exactly?
I believe you are.

Your opinion will not hold up to skepticism.

Yes you are missing something; knowledge, logic, and the ability to form rational conclusions. You based your opinion on your opinion; need evidence next time.

This looks like a great answer; makes your opinion total BS.
Originally Posted by afinemadness View Post
Very simple. Louis Freeh resigned as of June 25 2001. Pickard was interim director until Mueller was approved by the senate.
This is good too because many news article suffer from stupid junk ideas based on failed opinions and shallow research and minimal knowledge.
Originally Posted by tuc0 View Post
What a dumb article. My favourite paragraphs:

After that I stopped reading...
7 years, 11 months, and 13 days and a few people are coming up short on solving what happen on 911 due to some learning disability. We can all grade ourselves against the Passengers on Flight 93. Flight 93 Passengers solved 911 in minutes and took action. There is this movement which can't do much of anything ...
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 03:17 PM   #13
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Thanks beachnut. A little late but has the original swing.

edit @tuc: strange i can't find the english version of the article anymore. What's your problem with the quoted praragraphs? I think they are spot on. They are part of the conclusion of a four part article, btw. Lesen bildet.

Last edited by Childlike Empress; 24th August 2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 24th August 2009, 03:22 PM   #14
Pardalis
Banned

Originally Posted by Sword_Of_Truth View Post
Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 03:42 PM   #15
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

What does he do today?
Bartender at Bohemian Grove?
Old 24th August 2009, 03:47 PM   #16
tuc0

edit @tuc: strange i can't find the english version of the article anymore. What's your problem with the quoted praragraphs? I think they are spot on. They are part of the conclusion of a four part article, btw. Lesen bildet.
Nicht wenn man Schwachsinn liest.

The quoted paragraphs are full of typical CT platitudes, illogic, innuendo and misinterpretations.
tuc0 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 04:02 PM   #17
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

... btw. Lesen bildet.
Faulty news reports may not do a good job to educate unless you use knowledge, logic, and rational thinking to examine the conclusion and are able to see the errors in what you read.

Maybe it should be research coupled with skepticism and critical thinking educates.
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 06:58 PM   #18
progge
Thinker

Folks, i'm confused.

I stumbled across an old January 2002 article i have in my bookmarks which makes an in my opinion very good, early case for LIHOP and illustrates the beginning cover-up. It was published on wsws.org and i'm sure there was an english version, but i can't find it anymore - here's the german one.
Wow, this is old stuff. There is much more differentiation and much more known today, e.g. because of the 9/11 commission´s work.

strange i can't find the english version of the article anymore.
OK, here it is. But it´s really, really just for the record of history.

Part one
Part two
Part three
Part four (referred to by CE)
progge is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th August 2009, 07:18 PM   #19
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by progge View Post
Wow, this is old stuff. There is much more differentiation and much more known today, e.g. because of the 9/11 commission´s work.

Part one
Part two
Part three
That is one real dumb article.
Quote:
Pickard had handled many previous terrorism investigations for the FBI and was only 50 years old. His abrupt departure under wartime conditions is therefore all the more extraordinary. Under other circumstances the media might have denounced this as tantamount to desertion of duty, or conversely praised his ouster as an example of the FBI cleaning house after a disastrous failure. Instead, the retirement of the man principally responsible for the investigation into September 11 drew almost no media attention.
Can't make up this much delusional crap without some extra credit effort.
Old 25th August 2009, 01:55 AM   #20
Bobert
Illuminator

The NWO must be in panic mode after seeing this thread.
Bobert is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th August 2009, 06:07 AM   #21
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by progge View Post

Part one
Part two
Part three

Ah, thanks progge. Seems like someone messed up transfering the content to their new CMS - headline is there, content is missing.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories