ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 25th June 2020, 12:51 PM   #721
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
These folks do a lot of praying, which doesn't seem to amount to much.

What? Chad Daybell had visions that Tammy Daybell would die. And then she died!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 01:01 PM   #722
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
What? Chad Daybell had visions that Tammy Daybell would die. And then she died!
...with a little help, from my friends...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 10:16 AM   #723
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

More testing has been ordered on the bodies of JJ and Tylee. [East Idaho News]

Since it hasn't been outright mentioned here (and is mentioned in the article), egregious apparently means both dismembered and burned, in the case of Tylee. JJ was found wrapped in plastic.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 10:50 AM   #724
Lerxst
Muse

Article released today with specific details about the investigation. Well worth a read to understand what was known by the investigators and is just now coming to light:

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...investigation/
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 11:28 AM   #725
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Lerxst View Post
Article released today with specific details about the investigation. Well worth a read to understand what was known by the investigators and is just now coming to light:

I don't recall hearing about Tylee's friend getting a text message before. Some effort to keep the idea she's alive going?
Old 29th June 2020, 11:39 AM   #726
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
I don't recall hearing about Tylee's friend getting a text message before. Some effort to keep the idea she's alive going?
I would imagine. I remember reading somewhere, maybe upthread, that when police searched the house in Kauai, they discovered Tylee's phone. I'm betting cell phone records will show that it was one of the three perpetrators (alleged) who sent that text.

George Will on
President Donald J. Trump.
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 11:57 AM   #727
Lerxst
Muse

Seems to be. I recall that her brother also mentioned in the Dateline series that he finally got a text but that it didn't sound like her.

A friend of Tylee's from Arizona is the one that received the text mentioned in the previous article:

https://www.postregister.com/news/lo...8719abb30.html
Lerxst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 12:10 PM   #728
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

It is troubling to think of what things the kids were exposed to in the years they lived with Lori, prior to murdering them. I don't believe she just woke up one day as a sociopath.

Though she is not a smart criminal, she makes up for it with deviousness. I view her as simply EVIL.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:32 PM   #729
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
It is troubling to think of what things the kids were exposed to in the years they lived with Lori, prior to murdering them. I don't believe she just woke up one day as a sociopath.

Though she is not a smart criminal, she makes up for it with deviousness. I view her as simply EVIL.
I can't argue that one bit.
I can't imagine what made them feel killing them was the best option, I mean, why not just send your demon infused kids off to live with their grandparents, who you're pissed at, and who clearly wanted them? Wouldn't that have freed Chad and Lori to run off together without the potential threat of being locked up in prison when the world ends?
Old 29th June 2020, 12:51 PM   #730
Lerxst
Muse

I can't argue that one bit.
I can't imagine what made them feel killing them was the best option, I mean, why not just send your demon infused kids off to live with their grandparents, who you're pissed at, and who clearly wanted them? Wouldn't that have freed Chad and Lori to run off together without the potential threat of being locked up in prison when the world ends?
Because Kay Woodcock got the insurance money from Charles Vallow's death. The 400k that Chad received from Tammy's policy wasn't going to last them that long, although it only needed to last until late July.

Then again, they were going to hole in up Hawaii and that place is not cheap.
Old 29th June 2020, 01:48 PM   #731
Mike!

Because Kay Woodcock got the insurance money from Charles Vallow's death. The 400k that Chad received from Tammy's policy wasn't going to last them that long, although it only needed to last until late July.

Then again, they were going to hole in up Hawaii and that place is not cheap.
Ah, the old, kill the kids out of just plain pure unmitigated spite, routine.
Yeah, I'm afraid I've been thinking it's that simple from early on.
As wasapi said, she's simply evil, and Chad's no better.
Wonder what their devout supporters* are saying now days?

*I'm not talking here, I think the best we had were wishful thinkers, I mean the ones who replied to every news story with, "You wait til the truth comes out, you'll see, the kids were fine all along!" in the comments section supporters.

Last edited by Mike!; 29th June 2020 at 01:50 PM.
Mike! is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:57 PM   #732
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Police served yet another search warrant at Daybell's property today, although the visit this time was lower-key and they only spent about an hour and a half on-site.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:05 PM   #733
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Police served yet another search warrant at Daybell's property today, although the visit this time was lower-key and they only spent about an hour and a half on-site.
IMO, they knew exactly what they were looking for and where to find it.

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:35 PM   #734
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Lori Daybell charged with two counts of conspiracy to conceal or destroy evidence.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

George Will on
June 1, 2020
Old 29th June 2020, 06:55 PM   #735
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Note these are essentially the same two charges that were laid on Chad Daybell after the initial finding of the bodies.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 03:07 PM   #736
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Probable cause affidavit related to Lori's new charges. [East Idaho News]

Hearing for Lori in ~15 minutes.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 03:59 PM   #737
Lerxst
Muse

Ah, the old, kill the kids out of just plain pure unmitigated spite, routine.
Yeah, I'm afraid I've been thinking it's that simple from early on.
As wasapi said, she's simply evil, and Chad's no better.
Wonder what their devout supporters* are saying now days?

*I'm not talking here, I think the best we had were wishful thinkers, I mean the ones who replied to every news story with, "You wait til the truth comes out, you'll see, the kids were fine all along!" in the comments section supporters.
Possibly, I just think that there was no way she was sending the kids there after that happened. In fact, without the Woodcocks' persistent involvement I don't think the children would have been found yet, if ever. Kay was Lori's mortal enemy and was always suspicious about how her brother Charles died as well.

Lori was never one to ever support herself, throughout her whole life (based on what I have read about her background) and she was really counting on that money so that she and Chad could complete their "mission". But yeah, she also needed something to live on as Chad's Apocalyptic Cult books probably don't pay the bills for trips to Hawaii.

Last edited by Lerxst; 30th June 2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 1st July 2020, 03:55 PM   #738
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

After the hearings for Lori and Chad that took place yesterday and today respectively, new preliminary hearing dates have been set. Chad's preliminary hearing has been set for 3-4 August and Lori's has been set for 10-11 August. [East Idaho News]

During Lori's hearing, Judge Faren Eddins (who had been removed from the case back when Lori wasn't facing conspiracy charges) had asked Mr. Mark Means (Lori's atty.) if he had ever represented any of the other accused in the conspiracy. Mr. Means replied no, upon which Mr. Rob Wood (the prosecution) noted that Mr. Means had indicated that Mr. Means was representing both Lori and Chad at a prior point in time, though there were no criminal charges against Chad at the time. Judge Eddins requested an explanation from each attorney.

Lori's bail remains at $1 million, and the terms of bail still include an ankle monitor and strict limits on whereabouts.

Chad's bail has also been set at $1 million.

Old Today, 05:22 PM   #739
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

The desertion charges against Lori have been dropped. In addition to her conspiracy charges, she still faces misdemeanor charges from her arrest.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events