ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump controversies , US-Russia relations

Old 29th June 2020, 01:26 PM   #1
fishbob
Seasonally Disaffected

Trump and Bounties

What is his deal with Bounties?

First Puerto Rico, and now Afghanistan.
fishbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 01:29 PM   #2
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fishbob View Post
What is his deal with Bounties?

First Puerto Rico, and now Afghanistan.
Plus, his interest in the movie Mutiny on the Bounty.

See: Vox

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot

Last edited by Segnosaur; 29th June 2020 at 01:38 PM.
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Venom
Illuminator

He didn't even know about it because of lack of evidence.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:48 PM   #4
P.J. Denyer
Philosopher

He thinks it's the chocolate bar.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:54 PM   #5
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

They really are good paper towels, my personal favorite. Strong enough for what you need them for, but not so tough you can't tear them as you need to when you need to. I hate paper towels that are too cloth-like, Bounty is the perfect medium between cloth and paper. I rarely do product endorsement but Bounty paper towels are the radiant joy spilling from the aetheric realms of the divine, as in Gnosticism, except with paper towels instead of aeons.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:03 PM   #6
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump thinks they're the Canadian Royal Bounties.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:10 PM   #7
zorro99
Muse

Trump Got Written Briefing in February on Possible Russian Bounties, Officials Say

The investigation into Russia’s suspected operation is said to focus in part on the killings of three Marines in a truck bombing last year, officials said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/29/u...imes&smtyp=cur
Old 29th June 2020, 08:20 PM   #8
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

GOP is boycotting House Intelligence briefings. Without explanation.

Because...responsibility?
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 08:30 PM   #9
Cain
Straussian

This guy...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 29th June 2020, 08:44 PM   #10
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post

Because intelligence is something liberals celebrate, so it can't be good.
Old 29th June 2020, 08:47 PM   #11
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Nope, its because......

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:12 PM   #12
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Trump Got Written Briefing in February on Possible Russian Bounties, Officials Say
l]
If every single person in the White House knows that the president doesn’t read briefings, then isn’t it a bit unfair to condemn his ignorance of something that was put in a written briefing.

I’m joking, but I am pretty sure I can Poe this idea into a right-wing forum. Although it would be hard to judge any actual success because so many trolls (Russian and otherwise) would support it.

ETA
Wait, wait. Forget Internet forums, the real trick is to get @realDonaldTrump to retweet it.

Last edited by Ladewig; 29th June 2020 at 09:14 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 09:26 PM   #13
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Seems only fair... After all, the GOP was able to attend a white house briefing without any Democrats.

White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, director of national intelligence John Ratcliffe, and national security adviser Robert O'Brien met with seven GOP lawmakers in the White House situation room to discuss reports that Russia offered money to Taliban-linked fighters to kill US forces in Afghanistan.

Not sure how normal that is for the white house to brief only politicians from one party, but there you go.

(The republicans seemed to be more intent on finding out who failed to pass the information along to Trump... so they must be assuming Trump was being honest about not being briefed.)

And then there is this:

The intelligence that assessed there was an effort by a Russian military intelligence unit to pay the Taliban to kill US soldiers was included in one of President Donald Trump's daily briefings on intelligence matters sometime in the spring, according to a US official with direct knowledge of the latest information. That assessment, the source said, was backed up by "several pieces of information"...The New York Times reported Monday night that the intelligence had been included in a written version of the President's Daily Brief in late February.

Which of course fits in with the narrative that Trump didn't know about it because he's too lazy to read. It would be interesting if congress tries to push for a copy of the briefing. (I assume the white house would try to obstruct... "You can't have the briefing... you'll just have to Trust us when we say it didn't have the information", with the democrats trying to subpoena the information, and Moscow Mitch doing everything he can to quash it.)

Furthermore, the CNN article said:

Ratcliffe said in a statement later on Monday that a leak of intelligence "places our forces at risk" and is a crime. "The selective leaking of any classified information disrupts the vital interagency work to collect, assess, and mitigate threats and places our forces at risk. It is also, simply put, a crime," Ratcliffe said.

I can certainly understand a desire to protect intelligence sources. I haven't seen any details that might have compromised anything.

Leave it up to the white house to be more concerned about who leaked information that embarrases Trump, than what the leaked information actually tells us.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 07:09 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
He didn't even know about it because of lack of evidence.
Nonsense he doesn't know about it because they put it in his daily briefing and what better way to hide something from him than put it in print?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 07:14 AM   #15
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

And he hasn't taken any action for the last 4 days because it's on the news and everyone knows Trump has no time to watch the news....
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 08:51 AM   #16
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
And he hasn't taken any action for the last 4 days because it's on the news and everyone knows Trump has no time to watch the news....
I predict his "actions" will be 1. promising something tremendously big and strong in two weeks, and 2. boasting on Twitter about how tough he is.

If it wasn't for the noise, it would again be totally (instead of just functionally) indistinguishable from doing nothing.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:21 AM   #17
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I predict his "actions" will be 1. promising something tremendously big and strong in two weeks, and 2. boasting on Twitter about how tough he is.

If it wasn't for the noise, it would again be totally (instead of just functionally) indistinguishable from doing nothing.
And yes another repeat of his often claimed "I've been tougher on Russian than any other president!"
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 06:52 PM   #18
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

I a press briefing Mcenany claimed the leaks might be targeted to harm Trump. A reporter asked if she's claiming members of the intel community are targeting Trump.

She says, "I don't know, they COULD be and if true, it's despicable."

O.o
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 06:57 PM   #19
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I a press briefing Mcenany claimed the leaks might be targeted to harm Trump. A reporter asked if she's claiming members of the intel community are targeting Trump.

She says, "I don't know, they COULD be and if true, it's despicable."

O.o
So now McEninny is feeding Trump's paranoia/victimization delusions.
Old 30th June 2020, 08:09 PM   #20
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
What action should he take about a rumour?
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 09:39 PM   #21
Cain
Straussian

I think David Frum said something to the effect, "Like Benghazi, but real."
Old 30th June 2020, 09:44 PM   #22
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Reactor drone View Post
Ha ha! You're funny. Rumor. Yeah, that's all this is. Just some inconsequential titttle tattle.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:09 PM   #23
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

The briefing notes didn't have pictures and a fold-out. And the US soldiers weren't young and pretty enough.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:16 PM   #24
Tassman
Graduate Poster

Even if it was merely a rumor, in fact it appears to be far more then that, Trump should have made a public statement condemning the very notion of it. But, as usual, nothing.
Old 1st July 2020, 06:20 AM   #25
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Step 1) ask what actions have been taken to verify the rumor

Step 2) make appropriate direction and management of executive resources to verify the rumor and set a course for follow up

Step 3) Direct any resources not currently in the National security chain to coordinate on investigation where appropriate.

ETA: this whole republican Senate argument that the claim is "unverified" is fallacious. As CEO of the executive branch which leads national security efforts, he is a key component in the national security process of converting unverified claims to verified ones. That is the executive Branch's job.

They want to operate in some world where these briefings are the end of the process and if something exists as unverified, that is an intrinsic property of the intelligence for purposes of decision making. But it is the beginning of the process!

Last edited by BobTheCoward; 1st July 2020 at 06:31 AM.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:36 AM   #26
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Step 1) ask what actions have been taken to verify the rumor

Step 2) make appropriate direction and management of executive resources to verify the rumor and set a course for follow up

Step 3) Direct any resources not currently in the National security chain to coordinate on investigation where appropriate.

As opposed to what's actually happening.

Step 1) Deny that anyone knew about it.

Step 2) Insist that the information wasn't acted on because it wasn't real.

Step 3) Claim that there's nothing that can be done about it because the news story ruined the investigation.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:40 AM   #27
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
Even if it was merely a rumor, in fact it appears to be far more then that, Trump should have made a public statement condemning the very notion of it. But, as usual, nothing.

Also, make a clear statement that he's ordering a full review of the intelligence that's available, and immediate briefings on what was known for himself and Congressional leaders, so they can get to the bottom of this "rumor".

Not just reflexive "No one told me! FAKE NEWS!" BS.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:00 PM   #28
zorro99
Muse

Trump decries Russian bounty reports as ‘fake news’ as his national security adviser says response options were prepared
John Wagner

President Trump continued to insist Wednesday that reports of Russia offering bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. military personnel in Afghanistan were “fake news,” as his national security adviser disclosed that options had been drawn up to present to Trump on how to respond if the allegations were corroborated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...26f_story.html
Old 1st July 2020, 01:08 PM   #29
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Well, establishing whether it is or is not a rumour would be a good start; calling it "fake news" right off the bat is not!

Of course, establishing the truth is something that would require him, not only to read, and to understand complex issues, but also to be able to recognize "truth" when he sees it.

Those are all things Trump is incapable of.

If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:11 PM   #30
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump decries Russian bounty reports as ‘fake news’ as his national security adviser says response options were prepared
John Wagner

President Trump continued to insist Wednesday that reports of Russia offering bounties to Taliban-linked militants to kill U.S. military personnel in Afghanistan were “fake news,” as his national security adviser disclosed that options had been drawn up to present to Trump on how to respond if the allegations were corroborated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...26f_story.html
It will be interesting to see how he responds if, indeed, these reports are confirmed or even supported by BARD evidence.
Old 1st July 2020, 08:24 PM   #31
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
The briefing notes didn't have pictures and a fold-out. And the US soldiers weren't young and pretty enough.
And the MAD comic fold-in jokes were too esoteric for him.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 08:27 PM   #32
zorro99
Muse

Afghan Contractor Handed Out Russian Cash to Kill Americans, Officials Say

A small-time businessman became a key middleman for bounties on coalition troops in Afghanistan, U.S. intelligence reports say. Friends saw him grow rich, but didn’t know how.

By Mujib Mashal, Eric Schmitt, Najim Rahim and Rukmini Callimachi
Updated 10:56 p.m.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/w...gtype=Homepage
Old 1st July 2020, 09:16 PM   #33
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

It comes down to the fact that Trump doesn't know how to play the part of president on reality TV, even if it is scripted for him word-by-word. He is so out of his depth and sinking fast, and taking everyone in the USA down with him.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 10:05 PM   #34
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Afghan Contractor Handed Out Russian Cash to Kill Americans, Officials Say

A small-time businessman became a key middleman for bounties on coalition troops in Afghanistan, U.S. intelligence reports say. Friends saw him grow rich, but didn’t know how.

By Mujib Mashal, Eric Schmitt, Najim Rahim and Rukmini Callimachi
Updated 10:56 p.m.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/01/w...gtype=Homepage
Well that pretty much whips the rug out from under Trump's BS claims about "fake news". UNIT 29155 (the GRU) is the same outfit that tried to assassinate Sergei and Yulia Skripal in Salsbury back in 2018, and ended up killing a local instead.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics