ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 2nd November 2018, 06:10 PM   #1
ProBonoShill
Master Poster

Anti-Semitism within the British Labour Party?

This is a little disturbing considering the recent murders in Pittsburgh.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-k-la...tion-1.4888813

Quote:
British police have launched a criminal investigation into allegations of anti-Semitic hate crimes within the opposition Labour Party.

The Metropolitan Police said Friday that it is acting on a dossier of information given to London police chief Cressida Dick. A police spokesperson says it was handed to her following an interview on LBC Radio.

LBC had in its possession an internal Labour Party dossier that detailed 45 cases that involved social media postings by party members, including one posting that read: "We shall rid the Jews who are a cancer on us all."
Old 2nd November 2018, 09:54 PM   #2
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by ProBonoShill View Post
This is a little disturbing considering the recent murders in Pittsburgh.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/u-k-la...tion-1.4888813
Saying mean things about Jews on social media is an anti-semitic hate crime?
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 06:13 AM   #3
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
LBC had in its possession an internal Labour Party dossier that detailed 45 cases that involved social media postings by party members, including one posting that read: "We shall rid the Jews who are a cancer on us all."
I wouldn't be surprised if the latter was a right-wing troll.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 07:26 AM   #4
baron

This has been going on ever since Corbyn got his far left claws into the Labour party and infected it with his brand of Marxism. The last time it was reported at length in the media Corbyn made immediate amends... by attending a dinner with a group who referred to Israel as "a steaming pile of sewage which needs to be disposed of."

That said, stupid Facebook posts are not a matter for the police. If people don't like them then they shouldn't read them. The police apparently have few resources to tackle burglar, mugging and shoplifting but as soon as someone posts something nasty of Facebook they are on it.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2018, 07:57 AM   #5
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Whilst I am pro-Israel, I don't perceive pro-Palestinians to be anti-Semitic. I can understand the pro-Palestine argument, and feel sorry for the Palestinians trapped in the Gaza strip and having to be resettled. Plus Bedouins are no longer allowed to roam, which was their culture. I suspect that some Zionists see opposition to an Israeli state as 'anti-Semitic', and this is what rankles them.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!

Last edited by Vixen; 3rd November 2018 at 07:59 AM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 11:56 AM   #6
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Some more evidence:

Quote:
A local Labour Party branch has refused to pass a motion condemning the antisemitic attack on a synagogue in Pittsburgh that left 11 people dead, according to a party activist.

Steve Cooke, the secretary of Norton West branch in the Stockton North constituency, said he was “aghast” that the motion was voted down after members claimed there was too much focus on “antisemitism this, antisemitism that”.
Brainster is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th November 2018, 12:28 PM   #7
baron

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Some more evidence:
No surprise there. Political morality is a circle and at the bottom the Nazi right and the far left join up. Unfortunately the Labour party retains its name despite having become polluted by far left filth, and I can understand why associating 'Labour' with this type of behaviour does cause some people shock and amazement.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 01:53 PM   #8
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am a critical of many current policies of the Israeli Government, but feel that "Anti Zionism" on the far left often goes over the line into "Anti Semitism".

Problem with the Anti Zionist who want basically to end Israel is I have never gotten a good answer from them about what will happen with the Five mIllion Jews currently in Israel.
Ritual chants of "Secular Palestinian State" don't cut it. THat has about as much chance of happening as snowball lasting in hell for more then a minute.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2018, 05:22 PM   #9
Information Analyst
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by baron View Post
This has been going on ever since Corbyn got his far left claws into the Labour party and infected it with his brand of Marxism. The last time it was reported at length in the media Corbyn made immediate amends... by attending a dinner with a Jewish group who referred to Israel as "a steaming pile of sewage which needs to be disposed of."
FTFY.
Information Analyst is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 12:57 PM   #10
CaptainHowdy
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am a critical of many current policies of the Israeli Government, but feel that "Anti Zionism" on the far left often goes over the line into "Anti Semitism".

Problem with the Anti Zionist who want basically to end Israel is I have never gotten a good answer from them about what will happen with the Five mIllion Jews currently in Israel.
Ritual chants of "Secular Palestinian State" don't cut it. THat has about as much chance of happening as snowball lasting in hell for more then a minute.
Why would anything change? There are already Palestinians living in Israel. Life would just go on.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th November 2018, 01:01 PM   #11
baron

Originally Posted by Information Analyst View Post
FTFY.
I heard the BNP allowed a non-white member to join. That means they're not racist... right?
Old 25th June 2020, 07:20 AM   #12
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/stat...55132657504257

Quote:
BREAKING: Keir Starmer sacks Rebecca Long-Bailey.

He said zero tolerance for anti-Semitism. He meant it.
Statement embedded in tweet.

Here's what it's over: https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/sta...78311215677440

Quote:
Maxine Peake is an absolute diamond
Article embedded in tweet.

https://twitter.com/RLong_Bailey/sta...12455891070978

Quote:
I retweeted Maxine Peake’s article because of her significant achievements and because the thrust of her argument is to stay in the Labour Party. It wasn’t intended to be an endorsement of all aspects of the article.
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/stat...57923039870980

Quote:
This was the offending paragraph in Maxine Peak article: “Systemic racism is a global issue. The tactics used by the police in America, kneeling on George Floyd’s neck, that was learnt from seminars with Israeli secret services.”
Old 25th June 2020, 09:08 AM   #13
Matthew Best
Philosopher

She's being sacked for saying Maxine Peake is an absolute diamond? That seems a bit harsh, to say the least.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 09:37 AM   #14
Jack by the hedge
Safely Ignored

Starmer had to back her or sack her.

An easy enough choice since the back her option is basically to argue that no, once again, this particular case just like all the others is merely another in this very long series of things which are not-actually-antisemitism-in-the-Labour-party and only appear to reflect a culture of antisemitism because of their juxtaposition in a most unfortunate long-running series of coincidences. It's just coincidence after coincidence around here.
Jack by the hedge is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 10:22 AM   #15
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
She's being sacked for saying Maxine Peake is an absolute diamond? That seems a bit harsh, to say the least.
He said that he was going to have a zero-tolerance policy for anti-Semitism, and he's said that it's very important to rebuild trust with the Jewish community. Not dealing swiftly and thoroughly with a high-level MP who tweeted an article which contains an anti-Semetic conspiracy theory would make him a liar on both.
Old 25th June 2020, 10:53 AM   #16
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This thread is about the conspiracy theory in question.
Old 25th June 2020, 10:57 AM   #17
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Noooooo...

Peake's interview also contained a couple of statements slagging off long-term Labour voters like me - saying that she thought not voting Labour 'cos of Corbyn was as good as voting Tory.

I didn't vote Labour 'cos of Corbyn, 'cos I remember him of old and he's always been an incompetent wazzock (Piers was the clever brother...) with dubious friends. Also, where I live and vote there is no realistic chance of Labour getting in, so LD is the only chance of evicting our Tory.

So, RLB could also been seen as condoning alienating Labour voters, which isn't a good look either.
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 12:52 PM   #18
Lplus
Thinker

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
Noooooo...

Peake's interview also contained a couple of statements slagging off long-term Labour voters like me - saying that she thought not voting Labour 'cos of Corbyn was as good as voting Tory.

I didn't vote Labour 'cos of Corbyn, 'cos I remember him of old and he's always been an incompetent wazzock (Piers was the clever brother...) with dubious friends. Also, where I live and vote there is no realistic chance of Labour getting in, so LD is the only chance of evicting our Tory.

So, RLB could also been seen as condoning alienating Labour voters, which isn't a good look either.
The clever brother?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...xpCvGYsySWhybp
Lplus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 01:13 PM   #19
Garrison
Philosopher

I doubt Keir Starmer will be sad to see her go and she deserved it if for no other reason than completely failing to read the article she retweeted. That's the kind of sloppiness Labour doesn't need.
Old 25th June 2020, 05:36 PM   #20
Giz
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I doubt Keir Starmer will be sad to see her go and she deserved it if for no other reason than completely failing to read the article she retweeted. That's the kind of sloppiness Labour doesn't need.
I doubt she hadn’t read it. Most likely it was the anti Semitic part that she liked and made her retweet it.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2020, 11:49 PM   #21
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Oooh: https://twitter.com/PronouncedAlva/s...224860162?s=20

Quote:
NEW: Amnesty International issues a statement that it has never reported that "neck kneeling" is a technique taught by Israel to the US police, after a 2016 report was widely used to support allegations made by Maxine Peake/ shared by Rebecca Long-Bailey
That's one of the key defences gone, then.
Old 26th June 2020, 12:03 AM   #22
Lothian
should be banned

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
I doubt she hadn’t read it. Most likely it was the anti Semitic part that she liked and made her retweet it.
Last night I read that she was asked to remove the tweet, refused to do so and was as s result sacked. If correct she would have read the article or would have been stupid* to refuse to remove something she hadn't read when the issue was highlighted.

*Not out of the question.
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 01:37 AM   #23
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

This is her side of the story, in which she does say that she was asked to take the tweet down and did refuse to do so, but that that's not all there is to the story.
Old 26th June 2020, 01:46 AM   #24
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
This is her side of the story, in which she does say that she was asked to take the tweet down and did refuse to do so, but that that's not all there is to the story.
So what is the rest of the story?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 04:10 AM   #25
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
So what is the rest of the story?
Tweets 4 & 5.
Old 26th June 2020, 04:19 AM   #26
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Tweets 4 & 5.
Following tweets is not the best way to get a decent picture. I will wait for a better commentary. Thanks for nothing I suppose.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 04:30 AM   #27
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
Yes: that's part of the joke...Piers is an absolute numpty, but is still cleverer than Jeremy...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 05:12 AM   #28
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Following tweets is not the best way to get a decent picture. I will wait for a better commentary. Thanks for nothing I suppose.
If you're upset with the medum Long-Bailey chose to tell her side of the story on, I suggest it's her you should take it up with.
Old 26th June 2020, 06:14 AM   #29
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Jack by the hedge View Post
Starmer had to back her or sack her.

An easy enough choice since the back her option is basically to argue that no, once again, this particular case just like all the others is merely another in this very long series of things which are not-actually-antisemitism-in-the-Labour-party and only appear to reflect a culture of antisemitism because of their juxtaposition in a most unfortunate long-running series of coincidences. It's just coincidence after coincidence around here.
Exactly, and a good thread on it here: https://twitter.com/Sara_Rose_G/stat...044125189?s=20
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 06:23 AM   #30
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Lplus View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...n-antisemitism

Quote:
As for Corbyn, given that even some of Labour’s frontbench nodding dogs are daring to ask for a statement from him, we can probably expect another self-righteous waffle reminding us that his mother was at the battle of Cable Street. What’s his mother got to do with it? Tell you who else’s mother was at Cable Street: Piers Corbyn’s. Are you familiar with Piers Corbyn, Jeremy Corbyn’s climate change-denying brother, whose antisemitic-trope-frotting Twitter feed suggests he hasn’t been playing with a full set of meteorological instruments since the 1987 hurricane? If not, I wouldn’t rush to be. Arguably all you need to know is that back in the day, he was regarded as the cleverer of the two brothers.
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 08:40 AM   #31
catsmate
No longer the 1

Noooooo...

The anti-5G nutter?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 09:04 AM   #32
Carrot Flower King
Scholar

Yup.

And see the link in Jimbob's post.
Old 26th June 2020, 09:05 AM   #33
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/s...26952686530561

Quote:
From your understanding, do you think Labour Leader Keir Starmer was right or wrong to sack former shadow education secretary Rebecca Long-Bailey?

Right to sack her: 47%
Wrong to sack her: 12%

Don't Know: 41%

Via @YouGov, 26 Jun.

Results By Party Voters:

Labour:
Right: 44%
Wrong: 16%
NET: +28% Right

Conservative:
Right: 61%
Wrong: 9%
NET: +52% Right

Lib Dem:
Right: 59%
Wrong: 7%
NET: +52% Right
Old 27th June 2020, 07:19 AM   #34
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Oh, I managed to stir up a hornet's nest on Twitter. With a lot of people saying that they cannot see antisemitism, including these screenshots - for some reason several have now blocked me.

Here's one that is particularly ironic:

Antisemitism.jpg

And several doubled down on it, with the "no it's you who is the racist one to see the racism in that language" fallacy, because obviously they meant Israel and not Jews.
Old 27th June 2020, 07:26 AM   #35
3point14
Pi

Noooooo...

We ended up with an incompetent liar who's letting vast numbers of people die (while massaging the figures)*, horrifically managing a pandemic, is refusing to release a report on Russian inteference in national issues, is blazing headling into a brexit that's going to heavily consider to the worst recession in the country for 300 years after having removed from the process any reporting obligations.

Oh, and he hid in a fridge.

Did you read his school report?

Still think you made the right choice?

*More lies, of course.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]

Last edited by 3point14; 27th June 2020 at 07:28 AM.
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 07:40 AM   #36
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Oh, I managed to stir up a hornet's nest on Twitter. With a lot of people saying that they cannot see antisemitism, including these screenshots - for some reason several have now blocked me.

Here's one that is particularly ironic:

Attachment 42483

And several doubled down on it, with the "no it's you who is the racist one to see the racism in that language" fallacy, because obviously they meant Israel and not Jews.
Yes, I've seen the "you're the anti-Semite for hearing 'Israel' and thinking 'Jew'" a few times. It's about as convincing as the argument that "tough on inner city crime" isn't code for "using the police to harass black people".
Old 27th June 2020, 07:46 AM   #37
3point14
Pi

Yes, I've seen the "you're the anti-Semite for hearing 'Israel' and thinking 'Jew'" a few times. It's about as convincing as the argument that "tough on inner city crime" isn't code for "using the police to harass black people".

Are you saying that all criticism of the state of Israel is de facto antisemitism?

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2020, 08:10 AM   #38
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Are you saying that all criticism of the state of Israel is de facto antisemitism?
No.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:25 AM   #39
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
No, but saying that Keir Starmer is a zionist puppet of the Board of Deputies (of British Jews) is pretty clear antisemitism.
Old 27th June 2020, 09:38 AM   #40
3point14
Pi

No.
I figured. Just checking.

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
No, but saying that Keir Starmer is a zionist puppet of the Board of Deputies (of British Jews) is pretty clear antisemitism.
No, I appreciate that.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics