ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 9th March 2020, 02:21 PM   #361
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Presumably she's not a good bet not to run.
Old 9th March 2020, 03:59 PM   #362
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
So, Christ shows up in July. Lori, as one of the gods prepping the 144,000, needs to be free for... what? What is her task? What does she need to do to get everything ready for the big day?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 04:14 PM   #363
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Presumably she's not a good bet not to run.
Well no, she's made it very clear that she will be buggering off in July!
Old 9th March 2020, 04:14 PM   #364
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
So, Christ shows up in July. Lori, as one of the gods prepping the 144,000, needs to be free for... what? What is her task? What does she need to do to get everything ready for the big day?
Make sure her kids are heaven bound.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 05:53 PM   #365
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

In retrospect, Hawaii is probably a safer place to be at the end of the world than right next to Yellowstone.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:07 PM   #366
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

I forget -- aren't the seas supposed to rise?

gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th March 2020, 06:18 PM   #367
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

I forget as well, there's a lot going on there. Most of it appears to be shrooms, but a third of the earth burning is a little too on point.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th March 2020, 08:30 AM   #368
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Now that her bail is lowered, she can't seem to find anyone willing to risk bonding her out.
Old 10th March 2020, 08:40 AM   #369
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

That or nobody is willing/able to put up $1M worth of collateral for the bond company.

Old 10th March 2020, 04:44 PM   #370
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
In retrospect, Hawaii is probably a safer place to be at the end of the world than right next to Yellowstone.
Volcano and sea rising vs caldera? Seems like a wash.
Old 10th March 2020, 05:01 PM   #371
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Safe places on doomsday probably needs its own thread.

Old 11th March 2020, 05:50 PM   #372
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

If the Yellowstone caldera cuts loose I'm not sure that living on or next to any volcano is going to be a very safe choice.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 05:51 PM   #373
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
Now that her bail is lowered, she can't seem to find anyone willing to risk bonding her out.
That or nobody is willing/able to put up $1M worth of collateral for the bond company.

I think that is essentially the same thing.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th March 2020, 07:17 PM   #374
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Yup. Bounty hunters are expensive.
Old 11th March 2020, 07:49 PM   #375
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

As in, she simply cannot accrue the minimum assets the bond companies want (and was perhaps trying to negotiate a lower amount) as opposed to the companies simply telling her off because she's too high a risk even with said-same assets in hand.

Old 11th March 2020, 08:34 PM   #376
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

As in, she simply cannot accrue the minimum assets the bond companies want (and was perhaps trying to negotiate a lower amount) as opposed to the companies simply telling her off because she's too high a risk even with said-same assets in hand.

As in, no bondsman will bond her out because she can't find anyone to put up $1M worth of collateral for her.

Old 11th March 2020, 08:56 PM   #377
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

As in, no bondsman will bond her out because she can't find anyone to put up $1M worth of collateral for her.
Possibly. I think we're all on the same page here anyway.

Old 11th March 2020, 09:08 PM   #378
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Well, apparently it isn't because the collateral couldn't be met, but rather risk (in one case, allegedly principle).

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...-posting-bail/

The prosecution and defense have requested the preliminary hearing originally scheduled for March 18-19 be postponed until May 7-8, and Lori's attorneys are requesting a new judge for the case.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...tion-of-judge/

Last edited by StillSleepy; 11th March 2020 at 09:11 PM.
Old 11th March 2020, 09:14 PM   #379
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

... Although apparently one might be able to go directly through the court for bail if one has the collateral?

Old 12th March 2020, 10:52 AM   #380
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Well, apparently it isn't because the collateral couldn't be met, but rather risk (in one case, allegedly principle).

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...-posting-bail/

I don't know about Idaho, but in many jurisdictions a bonding agency can demand collateral on their own as part of their agreement with the defendant. I suspect that the arrangement must be riskier for them (collection more difficult?) than when the State does it, or the defendant would just use that collateral with the State for their bond and forego paying the cut the bonding agency keeps.

Quote:
The prosecution and defense have requested the preliminary hearing originally scheduled for March 18-19 be postponed until May 7-8, and Lori's attorneys are requesting a new judge for the case.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...tion-of-judge/

This turns up something I found a bit surprising. Apparently there is a statute in which permits one no-fault disqualification of a judge by a defendant.

I wonder how common that is in other states.

I also wonder why the Lori defense team wants one this time.

Old 12th March 2020, 11:08 AM   #381
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

If they continue to delay until July, Jesus will step forward with the kids in tow.

Old 12th March 2020, 11:27 AM   #382
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

This turns up something I found a bit surprising. Apparently there is a statute in which permits one no-fault disqualification of a judge by a defendant.

I wonder how common that is in other states.

I also wonder why the Lori defense team wants one this time.
Apparently the defense did not specify a reason for replacing the judge. One possibility that comes to mind is that the defense believes the case against Lori is strong enough that the best strategy is mitigating damage to the (uncooperative) defendant by gambling on a more lenient judge at the preliminary hearing. If the case goes to District Court, Lori will be tried by jury, plea deals notwithstanding. Given the public interest nature of the case, a jury trial is probably the least desirable outcome for the defense.

Old 12th March 2020, 02:28 PM   #383
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Apparently the defense did not specify a reason for replacing the judge.

Yeah. I saw that in the defense document requesting the change, (There was a link to it in the newspaper article in the post above.)

Quote:
One possibility that comes to mind is that the defense believes the case against Lori is strong enough that the best strategy is mitigating damage to the (uncooperative) defendant by gambling on a more lenient judge at the preliminary hearing. If the case goes to District Court, Lori will be tried by jury, plea deals notwithstanding. Given the public interest nature of the case, a jury trial is probably the least desirable outcome for the defense.

I suppose so, but there is also the possibility of alienating subsequent judges, who can tend as a group to frown on defendants that randomly cast shade on judges in general for no particular reason.

They only get one bite at this particular free apple, so I have to wonder why they decided to take it now.

Maybe the judge in question has a rep as a real hard-ass?

Old 12th March 2020, 02:37 PM   #384
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Hey, he lowered her bail!

Old 12th March 2020, 02:57 PM   #385
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

If they continue to delay until July, Jesus will step forward with the kids in tow.
All of this would go away if they simply produced two healthy kids in the court. Any court.

Yet they refuse to do so.

WTAF?

abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 03:10 PM   #386
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that's because they don't have two healthy kids to present.

Old 12th March 2020, 03:43 PM   #387
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, that's because they don't have two healthy kids to present.
And that is what concerns me. See, my eldest will be 18 in August and thus legally an adult.

But it has been a hell of a long time since I could get away with the parental authority crap.

Don't get me wrong, I love it. I enjoy nothing more than when he hurls some random logical conundrum at me.

But were I going to court, his question would be can you collect me, or shall I jump on a bus?

Now, I do take just a little pride that I have managed to pass on to my children at least a modicum of critical thinking. But I don't think it is possible to avoid that as a parent anyway. Just look at the Santa fiasco. When I confronted my kids with the Santa reality, they both admitted they were going along with it for the loot.

Then they admitted that the jebus crap was much the same.

As an atheist, I didn't promote that. They reached those conclusions all on their lonesome and I must say I was both surprised and impressed.

We often have bible readings these days. Not because any of us believe it, but because we always end up with me saying that this is what the bible actually says, them going no way and me handing them an actual bible.

Old 12th March 2020, 03:48 PM   #388
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

<snip>

They only get one bite at this particular free apple, so I have to wonder why they decided to take it now.

Maybe the judge in question has a rep as a real hard-ass?
Hey, he lowered her bail!

Well, that probably isn't the explanation then.

Any other ideas?

Old 12th March 2020, 03:53 PM   #389
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

That works, He's dead too!
Old 12th March 2020, 04:05 PM   #390
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

He didn't lower it enough. I have no idea, I just notice that this is about the only time the defense could use that rule. Otherwise you're gambling on not getting a jury trial before you can change judges.

Old 12th March 2020, 04:38 PM   #391
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Well, it now appears that Chad was the man with Lori at the storage unit on 2 October based in part on mannerisms and, er, carrying capacity. If so, this means that Alex Cox is back in play for the alleged shooting at Brandon Boudreaux.

The footage shows the man thought to be Chad rolling in a spare tire and carrying in a removable car seat from Lori's Nissan Rogue. Footage from the next day shows someone thought to be Cox carrying out the spare tire and then the car seat (which was mistaken as a tote) with his own strength, despite Lori being present.

It's currently unknown which vehicle the tire and seat are off of.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...at-in-arizona/

Old 12th March 2020, 05:04 PM   #392
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Watching the show about this case, I recall how everyone, grandparents and everyone who knew her referred to her as, "The perfect mother", "The mother that all kids wanted as a mom."

Also, she had been a beauty pageant winner.

And then, almost overnight she becomes an angel of Jesus. The end is near and she needs preparation. Then, the kids vanish. The kids are tied to her revelation, and haven't been seen since.

I really hope they are safe in an alive way. Seeing film of her with her kids when they were all loving each other, adoring each other. I want to believe they are OK because I don't want to believe that level of love could have turned into murder of her children.
Old 12th March 2020, 05:10 PM   #393
DragonLady
Illuminator

Quote:
I want to believe they are OK because I don't want to believe that level of love could have turned into murder of her children.
Shades of Margaret Garner?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Garner

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th March 2020, 07:20 PM   #394
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

I hadn't viewed the video attached to the article, but reading the comments alerted me that it appears that Chad grabs Lori's butt while they are leaving. Tammy Daybell was still alive at this time. Watching it for myself, it seems to be the case.

Old 13th March 2020, 06:54 PM   #395
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

A phone hearing was held this afternoon, Judge Farren Eddins has approved the motions to remove himself from the case and push the dates back. A new magistrate will be assigned before the preliminary hearing on 7-8 May.

In the same phone hearing, one of Lori's attorneys, Brian Webb, expressed intent for himself and another attorney, Edwina Elcox, to stop representing her, leaving her with only Mark Means representing. Lori was not present for the hearing.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...o-do-the-same/

Old 13th March 2020, 07:13 PM   #396
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

A phone hearing was held this afternoon, Judge Farren Eddins has approved the motions to remove himself from the case and push the dates back. A new magistrate will be assigned before the preliminary hearing on 7-8 May.

In the same phone hearing, one of Lori's attorneys, Brian Webb, expressed intent for himself and another attorney, Edwina Elcox, to stop representing her, leaving her with only Mark Means representing. Lori was not present for the hearing.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...o-do-the-same/

That's rarely a good sign.

Old 13th March 2020, 08:58 PM   #397
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Well, it now appears that Chad was the man with Lori at the storage unit on 2 October based in part on mannerisms and, er, carrying capacity. If so, this means that Alex Cox is back in play for the alleged shooting at Brandon Boudreaux.

The footage shows the man thought to be Chad rolling in a spare tire and carrying in a removable car seat from Lori's Nissan Rogue. Footage from the next day shows someone thought to be Cox carrying out the spare tire and then the car seat (which was mistaken as a tote) with his own strength, despite Lori being present.
Now that is very curious; and indeed, there goes Cox's alibi. There also goes any notion Chad had nothing to do with or any contact with the family until his actual marriage to Lori, not that it was a serious theory.

Last edited by Checkmite; 13th March 2020 at 09:42 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th March 2020, 12:01 PM   #398
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

This case is almost surreal. It seems bizarre on so many levels, and has been since the beginning. It is a complicated case, and Lori smiles and carries on - not like a grieving mother. When i was raising kids I know i would be miserable if i hadn't seen them for months. For any reason.

But again, Lori smiles and keeps on going, almost smug in her knowledge of where her children are. As to the kids; I have gone from thinking they are certainly dead, to now, I'm about 50/50. I hope, but just don't know.

And, it kept coming up to me comparing my motherhood/nurturing with what Lori has become is unfair to Lori. I must remind myself that she is sick, and there is no comparison.
Old 15th March 2020, 01:28 PM   #399
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

If ever there were an instance in which we could demonstrate that feelings can have economic value, this would be it: Wreaking havoc on your family and taking a vacation to Hawaii is cheaper than having to confront oneself and get the help you can easily afford.

Granted, if you made money from your problems, that kind of reduces the incentive to change.

Old 15th March 2020, 01:45 PM   #400
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

A viral pandemic is not in Revelation, is it? I have to imagine that COVID-19 is only strengthening the resolve of end-of-the-worlders. When everything seems to be falling apart, the smug get smugger.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events