ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:05 PM   #281
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
I think its possible the Dumbbells just didn't want kids, and left them with someone else to be raised "right" and more importantly -far away.
I think it's a longshot, but it is possible. If this is how it went, or in fact if the children are alive anywhere at all, we will find out at Lori's trial unless she's willing to eat several years in prison purely for the principle that she shouldn't have to tell anyone where she sent them.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 02:33 PM   #282
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
I think it's a longshot, but it is possible. If this is how it went, or in fact if the children are alive anywhere at all, we will find out at Lori's trial unless she's willing to eat several years in prison purely for the principle that she shouldn't have to tell anyone where she sent them.
If I've been reading correctly, she probably doesn't believe she'll be in jail past mid July, what with the world ending and all that stuff.
Old 27th February 2020, 02:51 PM   #283
Checkmite

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
If I've been reading correctly, she probably doesn't believe she'll be in jail past mid July, what with the world ending and all that stuff.
Refresh my memory where we've heard an exact date this cult has set? I didn't get that impression from the recent Idaho newspaper interview with other members of the movement. It depicted them as having been commanded more or less to stock supplies in preparation for a predicted future calamity but didn't mention it was something they had a specific day in mind for.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th February 2020, 02:57 PM   #284
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

July 22nd, but I'd have to dig for the source.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:07 PM   #285
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Predictable, but the Chadster has packed up and moved out of Hawaii. Seen boarding a plane for the mainland.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:45 PM   #286
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Any word on if he's headed to Idaho to be present for the hearing there?

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th February 2020, 08:57 PM   #287
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

So there is a bit of doubt regarding whether or not it was Alex seen at the storage bins on 2 October, but only because of the allegations made by Brandon. Alex's truck apparently was not seen there that day, rather it was seen on 6 October.

Old 28th February 2020, 09:13 PM   #288
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
Any word on if he's headed to Idaho to be present for the hearing there?
According to CNN, yes.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:31 PM   #289
Checkmite

So there is a bit of doubt regarding whether or not it was Alex seen at the storage bins on 2 October, but only because of the allegations made by Brandon. Alex's truck apparently was not seen there that day, rather it was seen on 6 October.
That's interesting, about Alex's truck. I know it had been seen there at some point, which is how it was initially deduced Alex was going there - but I did not know that it was not his truck present for those first two visits on the 2nd and 3rd. What vehicle was it?

Whoever it was on both occasions came with Lori; perhaps it was hers.
Old 28th February 2020, 09:41 PM   #290
Mike!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Is Lori still locked up in Hawaii, or has she been extradited back to the land of famous potatoes?
Old 28th February 2020, 09:47 PM   #291
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Idaho is still setting up things for extradition and the ensuing media/public circus; if I understand correctly and the situation hasn't changed, there will be a hearing or some-such Wednesday in Hawaii regarding extradition and a hearing is scheduled in New Potatoland on Monday, 9 March, I believe with her present.

Old 28th February 2020, 09:54 PM   #292
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
That's interesting, about Alex's truck. I know it had been seen there at some point, which is how it was initially deduced Alex was going there - but I did not know that it was not his truck present for those first two visits on the 2nd and 3rd. What vehicle was it?

Whoever it was on both occasions came with Lori; perhaps it was hers.
Not sure what vehicle, but obviously we can't rule out Alex carpooling with Lori. Same article mentioned that it would be "almost impossible" for Alex to have driven or flown in time to be at both locations that day. Also states that Melani is not a suspect regarding the shooting.

Old 28th February 2020, 10:56 PM   #293
Checkmite

Idaho is still setting up things for extradition and the ensuing media/public circus; if I understand correctly and the situation hasn't changed, there will be a hearing or some-such Wednesday in Hawaii regarding extradition and a hearing is scheduled in New Potatoland on Monday, 9 March, I believe with her present.
No I believe Lori waived the extradition hearing after her bail reduction was denied so it will not take place on Wednesday; Idaho law enforcement is basically cleared to come and get her whenever, is my current understanding.
Old 28th February 2020, 11:17 PM   #294
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

That hearing would have been on Monday, 2 March. Trying to follow the scheduling on these things is a nightmare.

ETA: I'm well aware that she waived extradition and that Hawaii said,"Come pick her up whenever," but I'm not sure if they went through the whole making sure she is Lori Vallow etc. schtick which is/was the Wednesday hearing I mentioned.

Last edited by StillSleepy; 28th February 2020 at 11:22 PM.
Old 29th February 2020, 07:00 AM   #295
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Actually, I realized while trying and failing to sleep that the hearing Wednesday was probably reliant on the hearing Monday, and since Lori waived the hearing for Monday the hearing that was going to be on Wednesday can happen anytime Idaho schedules it.

Old 29th February 2020, 02:26 PM   #296
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

How do you find out what became of the kids in under 5 minutes?

Waterboard.
Old 1st March 2020, 08:47 AM   #297
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

I'm starting to see conspiracy theorists come in hot on this case now.

Or rather, one very active one.

Last edited by StillSleepy; 1st March 2020 at 08:49 AM.
Old 1st March 2020, 10:16 AM   #298
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Ok, so ABC news is reporting that Chad has stated the children are "safe."

That's it. That's the story.

Old 1st March 2020, 10:34 AM   #299
Mike!

Obviously this is some strange new use of the word "safe" we weren't previously aware of.

- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Mike!; 1st March 2020 at 10:55 AM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st March 2020, 10:41 AM   #300
DragonLady
Illuminator

It's nice to imagine they are alive and safe from harm.... But at this juncture I'm afraid he may mean "can't be harmed any more".

I'd be very happy to learn they're alive and just being cared for by someone other than their family, but I'd also be very, very surprised.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd March 2020, 10:14 AM   #301
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Investigators of Charles Vallow's death are looking into some suspicious emails, the email shown seems to have been alleged by Charles in a different email (to his brother-in-law Adam Cox, not Alex) to have been written by Lori to Chad.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...usbands-death/

Old 2nd March 2020, 06:12 PM   #302
Mike!

Using a fake email account to communicate in code maybe?
Old 2nd March 2020, 07:39 PM   #303
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

More like bringing him within range of a tactical... er... kitty. May or may not be NWO flavored.

Old 3rd March 2020, 12:42 PM   #304
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Lori is now in transit to Idaho, there will be a hearing to read her her charges on Friday, 6 March at 2 PM.

Old 3rd March 2020, 04:02 PM   #305
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

I watched an overview of this case on - yeah, I know - Dr. Phil a few days ago.
What was interesting to me was seeing video of Lori, sometimes with the kids, when she seemed perfectly normal, outgoing, friendly.

Then, video of her only a brief amount of time following the normalcy, it is as if overnight something changes. The difference, her new mannerisms, way of speech, voice - was profound.

I am curious about what the sudden change was caused by, if it was overnight. The way it was discussed by friends and relatives on the show, it sounds like they confirmed the change was both quick and frightening, with fear of Lori's strange behavior growing.
Old 3rd March 2020, 04:12 PM   #306
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

It's hard to say, it's probably safe to rule out drug usage at this time, barring some prescription we haven't heard about, since police have searched their belongings.

Old 3rd March 2020, 06:17 PM   #307
Mike!

The answer's obvious, she's gots her a demon in her. Explains everything quick and simple.

Last edited by Mike!; 3rd March 2020 at 06:18 PM.
Mike! is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd March 2020, 11:27 PM   #308
DragonLady
Illuminator

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
I watched an overview of this case on - yeah, I know - Dr. Phil a few days ago.
What was interesting to me was seeing video of Lori, sometimes with the kids, when she seemed perfectly normal, outgoing, friendly.

Then, video of her only a brief amount of time following the normalcy, it is as if overnight something changes. The difference, her new mannerisms, way of speech, voice - was profound.

I am curious about what the sudden change was caused by, if it was overnight. The way it was discussed by friends and relatives on the show, it sounds like they confirmed the change was both quick and frightening, with fear of Lori's strange behavior growing.
I knew someone who changed drastically in a fairly short period of time -a couple of years at most. He died another year or so later, and autopsy revealed 11 brain tumors.

Might she have some kind of medical issue that's causing altered perceptions and behaviors? Could such a thing be responsible for a string of choices so bad they lead to the deaths of so many people around her?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 11:52 AM   #309
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Lori has hired three new lawyers and is seeking to reduce her bail yet again during Friday's hearing. After the hearing Friday, another hearing will be scheduled within 14-21 days wherein the prosecution must prove that the case should be advanced to District Court from Magistrate Court.

Old 4th March 2020, 12:38 PM   #310
Mike!

Lori has hired three new lawyers and is seeking to reduce her bail yet again during Friday's hearing. After the hearing Friday, another hearing will be scheduled within 14-21 days wherein the prosecution must prove that the case should be advanced to District Court from Magistrate Court.
It seems to me if she were to just produce the supposedly safe children, there'd be nothing to hold her for, and as such, no need for bail...
Maybe make her pay for all the costs involved in all the trouble she's caused.
If the kids are proven safe, let her go, but keep an eye on her too, because she's got blood on her hands still. Look for and find the evidence to charge her and accomplices proper.

But I don't think they can produce the kids, so, keep her locked up until there's a definitive answer.
Old 4th March 2020, 12:40 PM   #311
Belz...
Fiend God

So the results of today's hearing:

-Bail remains at $5M, judge declined to reduce it due to her history of ignoring court orders.
Why set a bail at all, then?

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 12:44 PM   #312
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
The money goes into state coffers if she jumps? That can pay for a lot of police work.
Old 4th March 2020, 12:46 PM   #313
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
The money goes into state coffers if she jumps? That can pay for a lot of police work.
Seems like putting child murderers away would be more important.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th March 2020, 12:56 PM   #314
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

It hasn't been shown to a prosecutor's liking that murder is involved yet.

Old 4th March 2020, 01:06 PM   #315
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
It seems to me if she were to just produce the supposedly safe children, there'd be nothing to hold her for, and as such, no need for bail...
Maybe make her pay for all the costs involved in all the trouble she's caused.
I think that even if she produced "safe kids" she might still be on the hook for contempt.
Old 4th March 2020, 01:12 PM   #316
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I think that even if she produced "safe kids" she might still be on the hook for contempt.
That's basically the case, yeah.

Old 4th March 2020, 08:48 PM   #317
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

There's that. Also, in most jurisdictions (I don't know if the ones involved here are included) some sort of bail has to set, with exceptions for certain, specified major crimes in some of them. As usual, the statutes are all over the map. Literally, because each state sets their own, and there's no mandate for common ground.

Of course, that bail might be set at some level which the accused cannot possibly manage, which has the same effect as remand. They aren't supposed to do that, but it still happens.

This looks a lot like one of those instances.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 08:41 AM   #318
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Nothing at all sketchy to see here folks.

Headline: "Chad Daybell made 'significant' increases to wife's life insurance policy DAYS before her sudden death"

https://www.crimeonline.com/2020/03/...things-report/

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 08:51 AM   #319
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Technically it's possible, but personally, I doubt it.

This case is about the safety of the kids. If the kids are found safe, I'm guessing the court will back off and leave it in the hands of child services. It's when child services have problems that they go to court for intervention.
Old 5th March 2020, 08:55 AM   #320
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Technically it's possible, but personally, I doubt it.

This case is about the safety of the kids. If the kids are found safe, I'm guessing the court will back off and leave it in the hands of child services. It's when child services have problems that they go to court for intervention.
Oh, she's on the hook. And gauran-freaking-teed, they'll hit her with the max fine for contempt, especially because Idaho had to pay to extradite her from around the globe. Bitch gots to pay for that, no matter how it turns out.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events