ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:01 AM   #321
William Parcher
Suspended

The other problem with dropping contempt charges is that it gives the green light to any other parent who would like to tell the authorities to shove it up their ass when they come to check on the welfare of their children.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:15 AM   #322
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
The other problem with dropping contempt charges is that it gives the green light to any other parent who would like to tell the authorities to shove it up their ass when they come to check on the welfare of their children.
But that's not what's happening here.

The question is, do they stick with the contempt charges if the kids are found safe?

Of course, if they don't produce the kids, the charges will stick. But this is a CHNS court, not a criminal court, and the focus is on the kids. So if the kids are produced and found safe, the court has done it's job. As I said, that's the point they leave it in the hand of child services.

Any parent who tells the authorities to stick it on a welfare check will be held in contempt until they allow appropriate access. That's the way it is done already, and will continue to be done.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:21 AM   #323
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
But that's not what's happening here.

The question is, do they stick with the contempt charges if the kids are found safe?

Of course, if they don't produce the kids, the charges will stick. But this is a CHNS court, not a criminal court, and the focus is on the kids. So if the kids are produced and found safe, the court has done it's job. As I said, that's the point they leave it in the hand of child services.

Any parent who tells the authorities to stick it on a welfare check will be held in contempt until they allow appropriate access. That's the way it is done already, and will continue to be done.
I do believe she has been extradited for the contempt charges. That ship done sailed; she is already being formally prosecuted for contempt.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:27 AM   #324
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I do believe she has been extradited for the contempt charges. That ship done sailed; she is already being formally prosecuted for contempt.
BECAUSE SHE HASN'T PRODUCED THE KIDS!!!!!

That's not the scenario under discussion. The question is, what happens if she were to produce the kids? You keep saying what is happening now, but that is not the question.

I'm talking about what would happen if she went to the hearing tomorrow and said the kids were at the hotel with a nanny. I'm guessing the hearing would end immediately and child services would be there in 5 minutes to confirm it. And if they can confirm it, there might be a follow up hearing, but she's walking and they'll drop the contempt, so long as child services know where the kids are.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:36 AM   #325
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

She was extradited for two counts of felony desertion of a child, not the contempt charges.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:38 AM   #326
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by StillSleepy View Post
She was extradited for two counts of felony desertion of a child, not the contempt charges.
And if she produces the kids, then there's no more desertion.
Old 5th March 2020, 09:41 AM   #327
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

BECAUSE SHE HASN'T PRODUCED THE KIDS!!!!!

That's not the scenario under discussion. The question is, what happens if she were to produce the kids? You keep saying what is happening now, but that is not the question.

I'm talking about what would happen if she went to the hearing tomorrow and said the kids were at the hotel with a nanny. I'm guessing the hearing would end immediately and child services would be there in 5 minutes to confirm it. And if they can confirm it, there might be a follow up hearing, but she's walking and they'll drop the contempt, so long as child services know where the kids are.
She has not been extradited to produce the kids. She has been extradited for THE CHARGE OF CONTEMPT OF COURT. That ship has done sailed. It doesn't matter if she produces them now. She is deep in the charging stages of a CRIME outside of the welfare of the kids.

Do you think they would just forget about the criminal charge if the kids are presented? Why would they? Contempt, of which she is clearly guilty, is a standalone criminal offense. The circumstances surrounding it are irrelevant. She flipped off Idaho courts, and that has a price.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 09:43 AM   #328
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Oh, yeah. Forgot about that.

Still, she's gonna be paying that contempt piper for the costs and flip-off. It's still an matter outside of the kid's welfare.

Old 5th March 2020, 10:00 AM   #329
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

And the desertion issue is resolved, agreed.

Then there is STILL that business of contempt of a court order. She is still independently guilty of that specific and independent crime. It doesn't matter if the reasons for the order have been satisfactorily resolved. An accused does not get to decide which court orders they want to obey. It was not a court request.

Old 5th March 2020, 10:15 AM   #330
Pope130
Illuminator

Assuming the children do show up alive, the desertion charges may still be valid, depending on who had them, and under what conditions.

And one can't help but wonder, if they are Ok, why hasn't she just told the authorities where they are?

Last edited by Pope130; 5th March 2020 at 10:17 AM.
Pope130 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:23 AM   #331
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Pope130 View Post
Assuming the children do show up alive, the desertion charges may still be valid, depending on who had them, and under what conditions.

And one can't help but wonder, if they are Ok, why hasn't she just told the authorities where they are?
Cuz granny got herself appointed custodian if the kids are found. So if Lori is trying to shake granny down for a taste of that $1mil life insurance, she can't give up her bargaining chip.

Old 5th March 2020, 10:38 AM   #332
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I'm not sure it works like that. If someone deserts their kids, just because they reunite with them doesn't make the act of desertion disappear. The kids had still been deserted.

I think details of the circumstances would come into play, but I can easily see how it would be possible for the charges to remain relevant.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 10:44 AM   #333
DragonLady
Illuminator

Cuz granny got herself appointed custodian if the kids are found. So if Lori is trying to shake granny down for a taste of that $1mil life insurance, she can't give up her bargaining chip.
Yes; this. I have a tiny hope the kids are alive, but being hidden from the extended family as a form of extortion.

But...I think it's more likely they are dead, but she's somehow hoping to gain something.

I wonder...if the kids have life insurance, but are in such poor condition when they're found, a jury might find reasonable doubt...so then...she'll stay out of prison and receive the benefit?

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

The Gweat and Tewwible Winged One
DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 12:59 PM   #334
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

FBI has released photos of Josh and Tylee's trip to Yellowstone, and have set up a webpage for people to send photos and videos that may contain the children during the trip there: https://fbi.gov/Rexburg

The vehicle they were traveling in was a Ford F-150 with Arizona plates CPQUINT.

Article w/ photos: https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...asks-for-help/

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." ~ Patrick F. McManus, “Never Sniff A Gift Fish”
StillSleepy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 04:19 PM   #335
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

FBI has released photos of Josh and Tylee's trip to Yellowstone, and have set up a webpage for people to send photos and videos that may contain the children during the trip there: https://fbi.gov/Rexburg

The vehicle they were traveling in was a Ford F-150 with Arizona plates CPQUINT.

Article w/ photos: https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...asks-for-help/
It is the same model and color of vehicle that is shown visiting the storage unit in security recordings. If the man visiting the storage unit at those times is Alex Cox, logically it would be Cox's vehicle. Which makes sense, considering that Cox was with the family at Yellowstone.

But in that case, I am confused at why the FBI is putting photos of the vehicle and the license plate on its website in a way that suggests the vehicle is unidentified, or is being sought. Was the truck not with Alex when he died? Are they actually looking for it?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 04:34 PM   #336
William Parcher
Suspended

Just to play Devil's Advocate I'll be the one person here who thinks that the kids are alive. This creepy lunatic did not kill her kids and nobody else did either. There, I said it.
William Parcher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th March 2020, 04:53 PM   #337
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It is the same model and color of vehicle that is shown visiting the storage unit in security recordings. If the man visiting the storage unit at those times is Alex Cox, logically it would be Cox's vehicle. Which makes sense, considering that Cox was with the family at Yellowstone.

But in that case, I am confused at why the FBI is putting photos of the vehicle and the license plate on its website in a way that suggests the vehicle is unidentified, or is being sought. Was the truck not with Alex when he died? Are they actually looking for it?
Because they're asking for photos and videos of the kids while at Yellowstone, and while people may not have seen the kids, they may have seen the truck which could help establish an arrival and departure time.

Old 5th March 2020, 05:16 PM   #338
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

He she turns up the kids the punishment for contempt will be "time served".

MAYBE they are OK, and it is all a life insurance scam. Gone wrong, the new charges would be insurance fraud. I see blind justice with her two scales, looking back and forth- contempt or fraud? contempt or fraud? contempt or fraud?
Old 6th March 2020, 05:38 AM   #339
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Just an FYI, East Idaho News will be streaming today's hearing on their site and on their Facebook page. The hearing will be at 2 PM MST. It's supposed to be rather brief.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/

Old 6th March 2020, 06:14 AM   #340
William Parcher
Suspended

Chad announced that the children are safe (and alive) because they are and he knows it.
Old 6th March 2020, 06:19 AM   #341
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

If they are alive and well can't understand why they don't make an appearance with the kids at say their lawyers office, or even merely a recent video or photo of them.
Old 6th March 2020, 06:54 AM   #342
William Parcher
Suspended

The children are safe now in a form of amateur civilian "witness protection plan". Somebody wants to kill them - most especially Tylee. Lori and Chad arranged to have them be with someone who would care for and hide them. Revealing them or their location would put them in immediate danger. Those previous murders matter because Tylee is a primary witness and somebody wants her to be dead.

Lori doesn't want to be in jail but she will endure it in order to keep the kids safe. Her biggest challenge now is to somehow explain it to somebody without putting the kids at immediate risk.

I'm totally crazy, right?
Old 6th March 2020, 07:42 AM   #343
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

The children are safe now in a form of amateur civilian "witness protection plan". Somebody wants to kill them - most especially Tylee. Lori and Chad arranged to have them be with someone who would care for and hide them. Revealing them or their location would put them in immediate danger. Those previous murders matter because Tylee is a primary witness and somebody wants her to be dead.

Lori doesn't want to be in jail but she will endure it in order to keep the kids safe. Her biggest challenge now is to somehow explain it to somebody without putting the kids at immediate risk.

I'm totally crazy, right?
She could do that with the help of authorities, though. If she is more crudely trying to shake granny down, it becomes more plausible to keep the kids away from her till granny cuts a check. Now that granny got herself appointed guardian, Lori is stuck.

Old 6th March 2020, 08:08 AM   #344
William Parcher
Suspended

She could do that with the help of authorities, though.
She wanted to do it without them because she doesn't trust or have full confidence that their location wouldn't become known. Also she feels that authorities would force a prosecutorial pursuit of the murderer and Tylee would be needed for that and boom she is vulnerable.

Quote:
If she is more crudely trying to shake granny down, it becomes more plausible to keep the kids away from her till granny cuts a check. Now that granny got herself appointed guardian, Lori is stuck.
Maybe. But either way the kids are alive and safe. But let me ask you a naive question. How would Lori explain this to Tylee? Would she be honest and tell her that she is being hidden because a granny shakedown is in progress? After all, Lori needs Tylee to cooperate with staying hidden. Otherwise, Tylee would need to be a forced captive ( kidnapped so to speak).
Old 6th March 2020, 08:14 AM   #345
DragonLady
Illuminator

Chad announced that the children are safe (and alive) because they are and he knows it.
A part of me clings to that hope, too.

But, he might've said that to help make sure no one just shoots him on sight.

I wouldn't trust either of them six inches at this juncture.

“She would be half a planet away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by moonlight to flamenco guitar.” ~ Janet Fitch

DragonLady is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 08:20 AM   #346
William Parcher
Suspended

Originally Posted by DragonLady View Post
But, he might've said that to help make sure no one just shoots him on sight.
You are talking about a random vigilante. I don't know how risky that actually is. After all, nobody has shot Casey Anthony. Can you think of anyone else who the public would want to be more dead than Anthony?
Old 6th March 2020, 02:48 PM   #347
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Lori's bail got reduced to $1M during the hearing today, however if she makes bail she has to wear an ankle monitor and must stay within Bonneville, Jefferson, Madison and Fremont counties (in Idaho). Full report to come.

https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/0...n-idaho-court/

Old 6th March 2020, 03:02 PM   #348
Checkmite

Lori's bail got reduced to $1M during the hearing today, however if she makes bail she has to wear an ankle monitor and must stay within Bonneville, Jefferson, Madison and Fremont counties (in Idaho). Full report to come.
That seems like an enormous area of freedom for someone on an ankle monitor. Don't people on ankle monitors usually get confined to their home, or their neighborhood at most? Lori obviously does not have an established job or relationship with any other community service in that area that she could claim a right to reasonable access to. She doesn't even have an established residence.

Last edited by Checkmite; 6th March 2020 at 03:06 PM.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 03:03 PM   #349
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

As I said on the current events channel on the Discord, I think they're going for the illusion of freedom.

Old 6th March 2020, 03:12 PM   #350
DragonLady
Illuminator

As I said on the current events channel on the Discord, I think they're going for the illusion of freedom.
I agree.

Old 6th March 2020, 03:34 PM   #351
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Made a little map of the indicated area.

Old 6th March 2020, 04:04 PM   #352
gerdbonk
Penultimate Amazing

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula
So, she can visit Yellowstone?

Disavow any knowledge of my twitter here.
gerdbonk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th March 2020, 04:14 PM   #353
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gerdbonk View Post
Ankle monitors have GPS.

But has she got the million? Bailsbonds cost 10%, if you don't pull any shenanigans. But they aren't going to put up the $1m if they think you will jump bail, and not have the M to pay them back. She will stay put.
Old 6th March 2020, 04:15 PM   #354
Checkmite

Evidently.
Old 6th March 2020, 05:49 PM   #355
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Yes, but there doesn't seem to be any major roads entering from that county, but there are a number of small roads (trail heads?) just west of or barely meandering into it.

Old 6th March 2020, 06:01 PM   #356
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Side note, Lori was collecting Social Security benefits off of the children whilst in Hawaii.

ETA: The preliminary hearing is scheduled for March 18-19, for the prosecution to prove that the case must be moved up to District Court.

Last edited by StillSleepy; 6th March 2020 at 06:07 PM.
Old 7th March 2020, 08:16 AM   #357
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
So is little Miss Lori still being comfortably detained in the Taterville hoosegow, or did the Chadmyster pony up a quarter of his insurance payout to spring her and her anklet?
Old 7th March 2020, 09:32 AM   #358
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Only a tiny undeveloped part of it. The rest is mostly in Wyoming, so not in those counties.
Old 7th March 2020, 09:51 AM   #359
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

The part she can visit is the part with the weird legal limbo thing going on. Otherwise, what Trebuchet said.

Old 9th March 2020, 01:58 PM   #360
StillSleepy
Critical Thinker

Lori remains in jail, two bond companies have stated that they have been contacted but have declined to do business with her, specific reason(s) not given. An ankle monitor has been prepared for her if she does make bail.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events