ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Jay Inslee , protest incidents , Seattle incidents , Seattle issues

Old 17th June 2020, 04:12 PM   #201
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
The New York Post is a worse source than Fox News. It's not whinging to ask for a better source.
Well, debunk the content then.

Speaking metaphorically, rehearsing for a play, deep fake, not filmed at CHAZ.... Fling some, maybe some'll stick. Should be easy-peasy if the source is that bad.
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:25 PM   #202
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I am in a minority here since I an not that excited about the Autonomous Area,don't think it's the start of a wonderful new era, and think it will probably collapse in a couple of weeks.
People are not just thinking ratinally about this, frankly.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:27 PM   #203
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Given the history of local cops coordinating with right wing street fighters in Seattle and Portland in the past, there involvement may not be helpful anyway.
You just hate cops,period.
Now explain how we can get along without them.
I agree there needs to be massive reform;but you can't leave the public unprotected in the mean tme.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:31 PM   #204
rockinkt
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by EHocking View Post
472 people shot by police so far in 2020.

Police killed 1004 people in 2019. Black people were 24% of those killed despite being only 13% of the population.

Those numbers are terribly misleading if used without some sort of context.

Have you considered the fact that almost 48% of all murders in the US are committed by the 13% which may be an indication that cops are dealing with far more armed and violent offenders - per capita - in the 13% community?

Note: I am neither making excuses for the cases of police racism resulting in deaths that have occurred nor am I ignoring the causes of disproportionally high levels of violent crimes in the 13% community. I am just pointing out that it is intellectual dishonesty to throw out a statistic like you have without due consideration of all the possible contributing factors.
In other words - The statistic you quote does not - in and of itself - support any conclusions that race was a contributing factor in the mindset of the police officer(s) as to whether they pulled their triggers or not.

"I've met Bob Dylan's bodyguards and if Steve Earle thinks he can stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table, he's sadly mistaken." Townes Van Zandt

Last edited by rockinkt; 17th June 2020 at 04:39 PM.
rockinkt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 04:38 PM   #205
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

What it means is that a disproportionate number of non-white black people are being killed by police.

If you looked at the link, you'd see that 72% of those killed are non-white.
Yet they only make up 27% of the US population.

ETA: OK, those numbers are not good. 106 of the records for 2020 don't identify "race", so number that we can be more sure of are;
White - 182 = 50%. % of US population - 73%
Black - 100 = 27%. % of US population - 12.7%

Still disproportionate
It looks like the police are killing a lot more non-black people than black people.

It looks like around 75% of the people killed by police are not black people.
Old 17th June 2020, 04:55 PM   #206
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
I am in a minority here since I an not that excited about the Autonomous Area,don't think it's the start of a wonderful new era, and think it will probably collapse in a couple of weeks.
I doubt many people here, certainly not myself, ever believed that CHAZ will expand over the USA into a new age of Aquarius. And yes it will slowly disband, as I believe virtually all the participants themselves knew all along. How were they to continue to fund it, interact with the state and federal government, etc? Especially knowing CHAZ was an irritant to the established governments and to many powerful forces?

The idea as I see it was to gain visibility and as sort of a demonstration that there were alternative ways of running a society without a formal and militaristic police force. To show that the demonstrators themselves were not the violent or evil forces that Fox et al portrayed them. Just as Woodstock once demonstrated to many that a large gathering of unpoliced people could be peaceful.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:02 PM   #207
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It looks like around 75% of the people killed by police are not black people. Here's another white person that was killed by police...

White woman, 52, is shot dead by police after 'walking down the street with a gun and a bottle of wine while warning of a race war' before opening fire on cops

Originally Posted by Daily Mail
Police bodycam footage shows the shocking moment a white woman was shot dead by officers after she fired a rifle at them during a stand-off in California.

Sandra Lee Harmon, 56, died following the altercation with two members of the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office on May 5. On that date, police received a call from a witness saying she had seen Harmon carrying a long rifle as she walked down a suburban street of Half Moon Bay, south of San Francisco.

'There's a woman walking down the street with a gun and a bottle of wine, warning me that a race war was going to happen,' the witness is heard saying in audio of the 911 call.

Harmon was also captured on a business surveillance camera brazenly brandishing the weapon as she strolls down the street. Deputy David Dominguez, an officer with the Sheriff's Department, could not locate Harmon, and subsequently knocked on the door of a nearby motor home in order to interview more witnesses.

It was there that he encountered Harmon.

According to a 12-minute 'critical incident' video shared to the sheriff's department website, Dominguez had 'a brief conversation with Harmon' at the door of the motor home. She then 'exited the motor home and leveled her shotgun at Deputy Dominguez. He retreated to the cover of his patrol vehicle, [but] as he took cover, Harmon fired the shotgun in his direction'.

Additional text included in the video reads: 'In the fast moving situation with incoming fire, Dominguez did not activate his body-worn camera. After discharging his service weapon, Harmon dropped the shotgun.'

A second officer, Deputy John Baba, was close by, and his bodycam was switched on. Footage shows him racing to the motor home and ordering Harmon to the ground. As she attempted to pick up her shotgun, Baba fires at the woman and she falls back.

'Don't move! Don't move!' he orders...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ttle-wine.html
Old 17th June 2020, 05:14 PM   #208
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It looks like the police are killing a lot more non-black people than black people.

It looks like around 75% of the people killed by police are not black people.
US Cops kill a disproportionate number of non-white people.
From those numbers alone for 2020;

Cop kills per capita USA

Whites - 8.0%
Non-White - 20.1 %
Black - 24.6 %

Cops kill 3 times as many black people by population than they do white people. The ratio is disproportionate.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:15 PM   #209
EHocking
Philosopher

It looks like around 75% of the people killed by police are not black people. Here's another white person that was killed by police...
... while shooting at them.

The argument is not that police don't shoot white people.
The argument is that they disproportionately kill non-white people.
You can't make up anything anymore. The world itself is a satire. All you're doing is recording it. Art Buchwald

Last edited by EHocking; 17th June 2020 at 05:17 PM.
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:18 PM   #210
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

US Cops kill a disproportionate number of non-white people.
From those numbers alone for 2020;

Cop kills per capita USA

Whites - 8.0%
Non-White - 20.1 %
Black - 24.6 %

Cops kill 3 times as many black people by population than they do white people. The ratio is disproportionate.
What you have said is true. What I have said is also true. About 75% of the people killed by police are not black people. That statement is true according to the data that you provided.

I didn't know it was true and I actually would have guessed that 75% of people killed by police are not white people. I'm surprised, but maybe I should not have been.
Old 17th June 2020, 05:20 PM   #211
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Yeah I know, but the overall data you provided doesn't seem to indicate if the killed person was shooting or armed or whatever.
Old 17th June 2020, 05:32 PM   #212
Distracted1
Illuminator

Sure, a little bit.
But they really disproportionally kill male people.
Old 17th June 2020, 05:41 PM   #213
Stout
Illuminator

Yeah I know, but the overall data you provided doesn't seem to indicate if the killed person was shooting or armed or whatever.
That map that was posted here earlier the black one with the red markers gives a brief description of the events that lead to the shooting.

Trigger Warning: The descriptions used and the links to media stories about the shootings in the Seattle area are based on Fox News. So, ugh, maybe they didn't happen ?
Stout is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 05:58 PM   #214
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
So you are claiming that none of it matters because it was only a few ******* that were killed and there are plenty more where they came from.

Take a long hard look at who and what you are.
No, I wasn't claiming that. I was making a statement of fact. That's it's extraordinarily easy to not be murdered by police. So easy that all of the people in this thread are doing it right now!

Really, though. Is that such a controversial statement? That it's easy to not get murdered by the police? I know we're not supposed to believe it, but there you have it.
Old 17th June 2020, 06:02 PM   #215
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

I agree there needs to be massive reform;but you can't leave the public unprotected in the mean tme.
WE get along with them by vastly reducing their number and the scope of their mission, while vigorously prosecuting them when they step over the line.
Old 17th June 2020, 08:00 PM   #216
EHocking
Philosopher

What you have said is true. What I have said is also true. About 75% of the people killed by police are not black people. That statement is true according to the data that you provided.

I didn't know it was true and I actually would have guessed that 75% of people killed by police are not white people. I'm surprised, but maybe I should not have been.
Again.

The non-white population of the USA is only 27% - yet account for 50% of shootings

You are twice as likely to be killed by police if you are not white.
And three times as likely if you are African-American.

I mean - all this discussion in the context of a BLM thread.
I can't be bothered nit-picking with the police apologists over numbers that are as plain as the nose on your face.
[/unsubscribe]
Old 17th June 2020, 10:52 PM   #217
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stout View Post
Well, debunk the content then.

Speaking metaphorically, rehearsing for a play, deep fake, not filmed at CHAZ.... Fling some, maybe some'll stick. Should be easy-peasy if the source is that bad.
Starting with CHOP (formally CHAZ) the crap on Fox has been debunked, multiple times. There are no rapes there or black people shaking down white people, none of it. There's graffiti, otherwise stores have not been trashed or looted. A few people who live in the apartments are annoyed at lack of street access and a whole bunch more have said they prefer the Zone to the police tear gas and flash bangs.

No one expects it to turn into some big movement. That does seem to be the GOP talking points fear mongering though.

Not going to happen and a number of Democratic leaders are asking these guys to stop using the term, defund police.

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
I doubt many people here, certainly not myself, ever believed that CHAZ will expand over the USA into a new age of Aquarius. And yes it will slowly disband, as I believe virtually all the participants themselves knew all along. How were they to continue to fund it, interact with the state and federal government, etc? Especially knowing CHAZ was an irritant to the established governments and to many powerful forces?

The idea as I see it was to gain visibility and as sort of a demonstration that there were alternative ways of running a society without a formal and militaristic police force. To show that the demonstrators themselves were not the violent or evil forces that Fox et al portrayed them. Just as Woodstock once demonstrated to many that a large gathering of unpoliced people could be peaceful.
Exactly.

The whole argument amounts to victim blaming. The police kill unarmed blacks, typically after the most benign stops or even bogus stops/reasons. Who cares how bad some black men are? It's not relevant. The issue is not police killing a disproportionate number of blacks, though that deserves a different investigation. The issue is police killing a disproportionate number of blacks who should never have been shot or suffocated in the first place! The issue is police killing people because said cop was pissed off or on a power trip. And the related issue is then a culture of covering these killings up as if not lying for an out of control cop means being disloyal to all cops everywhere.

That map that was posted here earlier the black one with the red markers gives a brief description of the events that lead to the shooting.

Trigger Warning: The descriptions used and the links to media stories about the shootings in the Seattle area are based on Fox News. So, ugh, maybe they didn't happen ?
As a matter of fact..... find another source or they didn't happen.
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Because feeding poor people is socialism.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th June 2020, 11:18 PM   #218
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

There are very few "permanent" Autonomous zones in the World, and this one won't become one of them.

But annexation isn't really the point of an AZ; it's to show that life could be different if enough people wanted to.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:21 AM   #219
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
There are very few "permanent" Autonomous zones in the World, and this one won't become one of them.

But annexation isn't really the point of an AZ; it's to show that life could be different if enough people wanted to.
But CHOP isn't working as a place where people can live safely. It's a temporary novelty existing under a microscope that is out of focus.

CHOP does show that life could be different. It shows it the same way it was shown with hippie communes in the 1960s. It's a righteous and wonderful new world when everyone lives in a hippie commune. The police and their brutalities are only distant memories. It was a world gone bad and the commune is a world gone good.

CHOP looks to me like a repeated 60s hippie experiment where a fundamental aspect is the elimination of police. Back then the experiment was voluntarily if you chose to join in. Now it's by force as CHOP is a designated zone right in Seattle and not a voluntary choice in a more remote location. Hippie communes were more often outside of large cities rather than within.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:31 AM   #220
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

I can't find any specific reporting of the issue, but haven't he police come back to their precinct that was in the CHAZ? It's been a few days since I first saw reports of police returning to the precinct building.

Doesn't really seem like this occupy protest fits any definition of an autonomous zone anymore. The police are back and the street blockade has implicit permission from the city.

The protest continues, but continued talk as if this were some Mad Max anarchy zone seems especially silly now.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 18th June 2020 at 05:32 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 05:53 AM   #221
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Starting with CHOP (formally CHAZ) the crap on Fox has been debunked, multiple times. There are no rapes there or black people shaking down white people, none of it. There's graffiti, otherwise stores have not been trashed or looted. A few people who live in the apartments are annoyed at lack of street access and a whole bunch more have said they prefer the Zone to the police tear gas and flash bangs.
That wasn't the content I was asking you to debunk, now was it ?

Quote:
As a matter of fact..... find another source or they didn't happen.
Using that reasoning, there were no police shootings in the Seattle area so far in 2020 and the map linked to in post #179 is a fake. Well that was easy.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:48 AM   #222
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
No, I wasn't claiming that. I was making a statement of fact. That's it's extraordinarily easy to not be murdered by police. So easy that all of the people in this thread are doing it right now!

Really, though. Is that such a controversial statement? That it's easy to not get murdered by the police? I know we're not supposed to believe it, but there you have it.
It’s extraordinarily easy to not get murdered, period! There were approx. 15,500 murders in the USA in 2018. But by your logic, given there are 300 million people in the USA, the chance of being murdered is only 0.005%. Infinitesimal! I don’t know why we even bother to worry about it. Certainly no reason to do anything about it.

BTW: have we now played this game long enough that we can return to the OP? There are many other threads discussing murder by police and this would be less of a...distraction in those threads.

Last edited by Giordano; 18th June 2020 at 07:53 AM.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:53 AM   #223
crescent
Illuminator

I can't find any specific reporting of the issue, but haven't he police come back to their precinct that was in the CHAZ? It's been a few days since I first saw reports of police returning to the precinct building.

Doesn't really seem like this occupy protest fits any definition of an autonomous zone anymore. The police are back and the street blockade has implicit permission from the city.

The protest continues, but continued talk as if this were some Mad Max anarchy zone seems especially silly now.
From what I'm understanding, the police chief was able to enter the building and get a look around inside, maybe also a few other PD employees have also. But they are not using the building on any sort of regular basis.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:06 AM   #224
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post

It's easy not to die from ebola. Look at all of us not dying from it right now! It must not be a deadly disease.

It's a silly argument you make, that it's easy not to be killed by a cop, because your using a sample size of "everyone" instead of "people being arrested".

Last edited by phunk; 18th June 2020 at 08:07 AM.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:46 AM   #225
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

White woman, 52, is shot dead by police after 'walking down the street with a gun and a bottle of wine while warning of a race war' before opening fire on cops

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ttle-wine.html
I don’t think this is as good an example of how the police treat white and black people the same as you think it is.

According to your quoted article a drunken white woman brandished a shotgun while walking down the street yelling about a race war. When the police arrived they found her in a trailer home and had a conversation with her. She then came out of the trailer with the gun and pointed it at the police, at which time the officer retreated behind a shelter. Only after she actually discharged the shotgun at the police did the officer shoot at her, apparently non-fatally. Even then, when a second officer arrived they first told her to drop to the ground. Only after she continued to try to reach the gun did they shoot her again, this time fatally.

Boy, they sure gave her a lot of chances, didn’t they? Admirable in fact. But not quite like the zero chances cops gave the guy playing with a toy gun in a Walmart. Or the kid in a playground with a toy gun. Or the guy in the car trying to tell the cop he was legally carrying a gun. Or the woman shot dead in her bed because the cops were looking for someone else. Or the woman peering out her window. Or...

No brandishing of a real gun by the dead person. No multiple warnings, No conversations. No extra chances. The cops arrived and within seconds began shooting.

Oddly, in the cases I cited the dead were black people.

The issue is not whether police shoot white people justifiably. Or even if police shoot black people justifiably. The issue is how often police shoot black people unjustifiably. And if police treat white people more gently and with more respect for their lives than they do black people. Your example is a great demonstration of the latter.

Last edited by Giordano; 18th June 2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:02 AM   #226
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

That wasn't the content I was asking you to debunk, now was it ?

Using that reasoning, there were no police shootings in the Seattle area so far in 2020 and the map linked to in post #179 is a fake. Well that was easy.
It is fully legitimate to cite the overall veracity of a source when questioning any specific statement put forth by it.

“That news source has been proven to lie and to make up stuff over and over again. The very article you cite to prove that Obama has a satanic pentagram tattooed on his butt also claims he has pale white skin, green eyes, purple hair, and a 2 foot horn growing out of his head. Obviously he doesn’t have pale white skin, green eyes, purple hair, and a 2 foot horn growing out of his head. “

“The pale white skin, green eyes, purple hair, and a 2 foot horn growing out of his head were not the content in the article I asked you to debunk. I asked you to debunk the pentagram claim.”

Last edited by Giordano; 18th June 2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:30 AM   #227
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

It never fit the definition of an autonomous zone. Nor did the protesters themselves ever intend such a thing; it was simply supposed to be a "no police zone", not some kind of seceded territory.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:49 AM   #228
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Giordano View Post
It is fully legitimate to cite the overall veracity of a source when questioning any specific statement put forth by it.

“That news source has been proven to lie and to make up stuff over and over again. The very article you cite to prove that Obama has a satanic pentagram tattooed on his butt also claims he has pale white skin, green eyes, purple hair, and a 2 foot horn growing out of his head. Obviously he doesn’t have pale white skin, green eyes, purple hair, and a 2 foot horn growing out of his head. “

“The pale white skin, green eyes, purple hair, and a 2 foot horn growing out of his head were not the content in the article I asked you to debunk. I asked you to debunk the pentagram claim.”
That may be true in extreme circumstances such as claims made by sites like whale.to however this is not even close to one of those extreme circumstances.

Simply put, this is a website hosting a social media video that purports to show an activist suggest that white people pay black people. Either it happened as presented, or it didn't.

Complaining about the source really, really looks like people are trying convince themselves that this particular idiot didn't give a particularity idiotic speech at CHAZ/CHOP that night because it interferes with dreams that this is some sort of perfect utopia and reflects a shoot-the-messenger approach rather than one of skeptical enquiry.

So. It happened. Accept it and move on.
Old 18th June 2020, 05:43 PM   #229
Stout
Illuminator

This one's fun...and it's from the Twitter which is a good wholcome progressive website that likes to ban alt-right fascist bourgeoisie pigdog scum content so it can't be fake.

Chaz Tourism Video
Old 18th June 2020, 06:40 PM   #230
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post

Its' really just Street Theater.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:45 PM   #231
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
It never fit the definition of an autonomous zone. Nor did the protesters themselves ever intend such a thing; it was simply supposed to be a "no police zone", not some kind of seceded territory.
I have problems with a "no police zone" also.
What happens when somebody gets mugged or a store is robbed;which will eventually happen.
Yes, police need to be badly reformed; but that does not mean we don't need an efficent plice force;and you really cannot "shutdown" the police while reforming it.
I can see keeping the riots squads out of the aone so as not to provoke;but regular police patrols?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:56 PM   #232
Arcade22
Philosopher

But CHOP isn't working as a place where people can live safely. It's a temporary novelty existing under a microscope that is out of focus.

CHOP does show that life could be different. It shows it the same way it was shown with hippie communes in the 1960s. It's a righteous and wonderful new world when everyone lives in a hippie commune. The police and their brutalities are only distant memories. It was a world gone bad and the commune is a world gone good.

CHOP looks to me like a repeated 60s hippie experiment where a fundamental aspect is the elimination of police. Back then the experiment was voluntarily if you chose to join in. Now it's by force as CHOP is a designated zone right in Seattle and not a voluntary choice in a more remote location. Hippie communes were more often outside of large cities rather than within.
Personally I think the police and city leadership decided cut their losses and basically quarantine these people in one location where they can do what they want (within reason).

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:02 PM   #233
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That wasn't the content I was asking you to debunk, now was it ? ...
Dodging the issue it is then.
Privatize the profits and socialize the losses. It's the American way. That's how Mnuchin got rich. Worse, he did it on the backs of elderly people who had been conned into reverse mortgages. Mnuchin paid zero, took on the debt then taxpayers bailed him out.

Space Force.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:08 PM   #234
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

I have problems with a "no police zone" also.
What happens when somebody gets mugged or a store is robbed;which will eventually happen.
Yes, police need to be badly reformed; but that does not mean we don't need an efficent plice force;and you really cannot "shutdown" the police while reforming it.
I can see keeping the riots squads out of the aone so as not to provoke;but regular police patrols?
The police have already said they would respond to any serious violence. Otherwise a person can walk to the boundary and meet the cops there.

They've also opened the street to allow some traffic so vehicles can get in.

Space Force.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:10 PM   #235
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Personally I think the police and city leadership decided cut their losses and basically quarantine these people in one location where they can do what they want (within reason).
No.

They stopped teargassing and harassing protesters and pulled back because it wasn't getting anywhere except making things worse.

Space Force.
Old 19th June 2020, 05:31 AM   #236
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Dodging the issue it is then.
Nope. You're still judging a book by it's cover knowing full well that the content of that "nook" came from the good nazi-proof Twitter which is, as we all know, hosted in the promised land of California.

They gazed on the moderated content of Twitter, safe in he knowledge that they were protected from evil and they said...it is good.

The video was also filmed and released by a CHAZophile with the New York Post being one of the only media outlets to care enough about getting this message out to the public. More liberal publications tend to shy away from this whole buy-your way-out-of-white-guilt topic because it tends to be bad for business.

You should be thanking me, and The New York Post for this timely PSA. Defund white people now !

Last edited by Stout; 19th June 2020 at 05:52 AM.
Old 19th June 2020, 06:05 AM   #237
Distracted1
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
Exactly.
The mayor of DC had the right idea with the giant "Black Lives Matter" mural on the street.

If anyone remembers "The Wire" (an American Television show), these places (the Mural, and CHOP )become types of "Hamsterdam" -keeping the focus of the protests localized, and easier to manage.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:11 AM   #238
carlitos
"más divertido"

Nope. You're still judging a book by it's cover knowing full well that the content of that "nook" came from the good nazi-proof Twitter which is, as we all know, hosted in the promised land of California.

They gazed on the moderated content of Twitter, safe in he knowledge that they were protected from evil and they said...it is good.

The video was also filmed and released by a CHAZophile with the New York Post being one of the only media outlets to care enough about getting this message out to the public. More liberal publications tend to shy away from this whole buy-your way-out-of-white-guilt topic because it tends to be bad for business.

You should be thanking me, and The New York Post for this timely PSA. Defund white people now !
Your post said "they" and the NY Post showed a video of one guy asking people to donate $10.

Originally Posted by Stout
Yes, they are asking white people to give black people money.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/13/protes...give-out-cash/
The video definitely looks like the baseball field where the autonomous zone is camping out and rallying. I don't see anything to "debunk" here; it's a video, it's in the CHAZ, and the guy did say that.

Of course the title is protester "demands" that white people give cash. So it's a typical NY Post BS sensationalist headline. There are dozens of people there talking all day, every day, and one guy said this thing. And "they" isn't the whole cause or anything; it's just one guy with some goofy idea that white people should give a black person $10. Big deal -- I have given the guy on the corner with the McDonald's cup $10 before.
  • So maybe the people focusing on the NY Post can chill out just this one time. The video is certainly real, and it's contents are more or less what Stout said.
  • And maybe Stout can agree that one guy riffing that white people should give a black person $10 doesn't really mean anything other than what it shows.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 10:37 AM   #239
Stout
Illuminator

Originally Posted by carlitos View Post
Your post said "they" and the NY Post showed a video of one guy asking people to donate $10.
I used "they" based on the amount of applause and positive support that the speech received under the assumption that more than one person, the person making the speech approved of the idea.

If we compare that reaction with the reaction that was shown by the good liberal posters of this thread when the words of that speech were slightly altered and presented as if this thread was a microcosm of the CHAZ/CHOP playpen we have a significantly different outcome.

No applause, but open hostility to the idea. In fact those words presented in that fashion so upset some poor goober that he actually called me a racist for passing on the words of a black activist. Calling somebody a racist is probably against the M.A. but I'll let is slide because I've been around long enough to know that sometimes, snowflakes gotta snowflake.
Old 19th June 2020, 11:24 AM   #240
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

WE get along with them by vastly reducing their number and the scope of their mission, while vigorously prosecuting them when they step over the line.
Thanks for proving my point. You just hate the idea of police.

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events