ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 18th June 2020, 07:27 AM   #1
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Trump Presidency: Part 23

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Contradiction and hypocrisy are to be found in all political fanatics. Trump is that, and so are the ISF political fanatics regardless of what party they support.

Same thing happens here at ISF. I post articles from the Daily Mail. ISF members almost universally call it Daily Fail and describe it as junk, or even politically biased junk.

But they don't say that about Daily Mail when I post an article that they like or support or want others to know about.

It's only the Daily Fail when it's "failure" is important to the fanatic. When an article from them isn't a "failure" for the fanatic and is instead supportive of the fanatic then this media outlet is called Daily Mail.

Trump is a fickle bastard with his NYT is bad and then NYT is good. That behavior is pretty common on ISF with the political fanatacists.
Hmmmmm. I'm pretty sure that I always call out the Daily Mail as a poor source, regardless of whether I support the message in their coverage (which isn't often). If I haven't, then I apologise and will make the following statement:

Quote:
The Daily Mail is a terrible newspaper with deplorable journalistic standards, a penchant for hyperbole and oversimplification (when not making things up entirely) and a political bias so strong that it renders objective news coverage nigh-on impossible.
I hope that clears things up for you.

edited to add.....

If the behaviour you mention is so common, presumably you can link to a few dozen examples of liberal-leaning posters quoting the Daily Mail as a source without giving a health warning about the quality of their coverage.

Mod InfoThread continues from here.

You can quote or respond to any post from that or previous parts
Posted By:zooterkin

Last edited by zooterkin; 18th June 2020 at 09:07 AM.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:38 AM   #2
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“It’s a terrible situation, and I blame the leaders of those cities. The President of the United States has fought through a lot of different things since he’s been in office, and to be honest with you, he’s done one hell of a job.” @HerschelWalker
@seanhannity
@FoxNews

“Seattle’s CHOP is just the latest example of Liberal (Democrat) cities caving to lawlessness.” @seanhannity
@FoxNews
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:40 AM   #3
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

When Wacko John Bolton went on Deface the Nation and so stupidly said that he looked at the “Libyan Model” for North Korea, all hell broke out. Kim Jong Un, who we were getting along with very well, went “ballistic”, just like his missiles - and rightfully so....

....He didn’t want Bolton anywhere near him. Bolton’s dumbest of all statements set us back very badly with North Korea, even now. I asked him, “what the hell were you thinking?” He had no answer and just apologized. That was early on, I should have fired him right then & there!

Bolton’s book, which is getting terrible reviews, is a compilation of lies and made up stories, all intended to make me look bad. Many of the ridiculous statements he attributes to me were never made, pure fiction. Just trying to get even for firing him like the sick puppy he is!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:42 AM   #4
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

How can it be lies and classified information at the same time?

Or, to put it another way, how can it be classified if they’re lies?
Old 18th June 2020, 07:45 AM   #5
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Or, to put it another way, how can it be classified if they’re lies?
Propaganda can be contradictory with itself.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:57 AM   #6
Belz...
Fiend God

When a claim fits one's biases, one tends not to evaluate the logic or factual accuracy of it

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:04 AM   #7
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
"We do not decide whether DACA or its rescission are sound policies," Roberts wrote in the majority opinion. "'The wisdom' of those decisions 'is none of our concern.' We address only whether the agency complied with the procedural requirement that it provide a reasoned explanation for its action."
This is what Roberts wrote in his opinion. What it really says is, "I'm not your rubber stamp jackass".
Old 18th June 2020, 08:13 AM   #8
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
U.S. swine flu deaths: ~12,500
Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I'm not good at math, is that more or less than 120,000
And that was with 60 million cases.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:19 AM   #9
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Contradiction and hypocrisy are to be found in all political fanatics. Trump is that, and so are the ISF political fanatics regardless of what party they support.

Same thing happens here at ISF. I post articles from the Daily Mail. ISF members almost universally call it Daily Fail and describe it as junk, or even politically biased junk.

But they don't say that about Daily Mail when I post an article that they like or support or want others to know about.

It's only the Daily Fail when it's "failure" is important to the fanatic. When an article from them isn't a "failure" for the fanatic and is instead supportive of the fanatic then this media outlet is called Daily Mail.

Trump is a fickle bastard with his NYT is bad and then NYT is good. That behavior is pretty common on ISF with the political fanatacists.
The Fox News website often has some interesting science articles but it doesn't negate the incredible bias of everything in the main news section.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:29 AM   #10
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by The Don
(Daily Mail) a political bias so strong that it renders objective news coverage nigh-on impossible.
I do notice some political bias with Daily Mail. They tend to tear the hell out of Donald Trump and his crazy behavior. But almost always I skip reading any politics articles because I don't like politics.

I read and cite the US Edition of Daily Mail and I honestly don't know if the UK Edition is meaningfully different.

I notice that some Brits talk about the Daily Mail (using the term Fail) as being biased towards the right wing (as Americans know it). But it looks to me that the US Edition leans to the left.

I could be wrong about that.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:33 AM   #11
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Do you get the impression that the Supreme Court doesn’t like me?

These horrible & politically charged decisions coming out of the Supreme Court are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives. We need more Justices or we will lose our 2nd. Amendment & everything else. Vote Trump 2020!
Old 18th June 2020, 08:37 AM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Wink

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The Fox News website often has some interesting science articles but it doesn't negate the incredible bias of everything in the main news section.
I solve that by not reading about politics, or maybe not further than a headline of which I care little anyways because I don't like politics. I rarely look at Fox News because it just doesn't suit my news preferences which are hugely non-political.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:43 AM   #13
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wacko John Bolton’s “exceedingly tedious”(New York Times) book is made up of lies & fake stories. Said all good about me, in print, until the day I fired him. A disgruntled boring fool who only wanted to go to war. Never had a clue, was ostracized & happily dumped. What a dope!

President Bush fired him also. Bolton is incompetent!
Trump isn't wrong about the hilighted part.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:51 AM   #14
C_Felix
Master Poster

Trump Tweets

These horrible & politically charged decisions coming out of the Supreme Court are shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives. We need more Justices or we will lose our 2nd. Amendment & everything else. Vote Trump 2020!
Did I miss a recent 2nd amendment ruling by the SCOTUS?
Old 18th June 2020, 08:52 AM   #15
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Bolton’s book, which is getting terrible reviews, is a compilation of lies and made up stories, all intended to make me look bad. Many of the ridiculous statements he attributes to me were never made, pure fiction.
Anyone notice some curious wording here?

Trump said "Many" of the ridiculous statements attributed to him were never made. He didn't say "none".

So, which claims that bolton made were true, and which were false?

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:57 AM   #16
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I do notice some political bias with Daily Mail. They tend to tear the hell out of Donald Trump and his crazy behavior. But almost always I skip reading any politics articles because I don't like politics.

I read and cite the US Edition of Daily Mail and I honestly don't know if the UK Edition is meaningfully different.

I notice that some Brits talk about the Daily Mail (using the term Fail) as being biased towards the right wing (as Americans know it). But it looks to me that the US Edition leans to the left.

I could be wrong about that.
That would be the US' Overton window in operation I expect....

What appears left-leaning to a US right winger appears frothing-at-the-mouth right wing to a UK left winger.
The Don is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:58 AM   #17
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
Quote:
Trump Tweets

I think the problem is, many of Trump's supporters actually support the DACA program.

(See: Politico)

So, complaining about how the supreme court is protecting DACA recipients might actually hurt him with his base. So, he has to state things in a way that his base might actually care about... "They're taking our guns!"

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:59 AM   #18
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump was elected to choose Judges who would overturn RoeVWade.
His fans assume that Dems would choose Judges to overturn Scalia's crazy interpretation of the 2nd Amendment.

They should.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:08 AM   #19
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Last week, Treasury Secretary Steven T. Mnuchin told Congress at a hearing that the names of loan recipients and the amounts would not be released because they are “proprietary information.”

Proprietary information?
A) Trump doesn’t own the government!
B) One withholds proprietary information to stop competitors from copying one’s success. What, other countries are going to make better loans if they discover how the US makes loans?

This is what happens when a person who has never run a publicly-traded business, an NGO, a state, or a city becomes president. Trump has no idea why he has to provide accurate information to congress and regulatory agencies.

Beyond all that, the laws creating these programs and the agreements loan recipients sign provide that the information will be publicly available. Trump/Mnuchin are just making stuff up.
Quote:
In April, the S.B.A., which has routinely published the names of the businesses it has lent to, indicated that it would do the same for loans issued under the P.P.P. Moreover, the application form that borrowers have to fill out for a P.P.P. loan says that, under the Freedom of Information Act, “subject to certain exceptions,” the S.B.A. is obliged to supply information including “the names of the borrowers (and their officers, directors, stockholders or partners), the collateral pledged to secure the loan, the amount of the loan, its purpose in general terms and the maturity.” It’s all there in black and white.
https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-c...ed6_popular4-1
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:25 AM   #20
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Another incredibly racist and mindblowingly stupid statement by the presidolt:

Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:30 AM   #21
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EazjRGFW...g&name=900x900
Biden was right: It's hard to make the argument that you consider yourself part of the African American community if you don't vote for him.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:43 AM   #22
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EazjRGFW...g&name=900x900
It's been a holiday in DC for years.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:45 AM   #23
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher

No offense Bill, but the Daily Mail is one of the trashiest garbage rags ever published and I really don't have a clue about their political bent. I have seen them print thousands of lies about Amanda Knox and George Clooney. Maybe those were not representative of the publication as a whole, but I almost never read much of it. I see it to be like The National Enquirer in the US. Both have a reputation of making up sensationalist stories out of whole cloth. It's not the London Times or Telegraph or the NY Times. That doesn't mean the Enquirer or the Daily Mail don't occasionally play it straight. They do. But I would never trust either without additional confirmation.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:51 AM   #24
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So now Colin Kaepernick is no longer persona non grata.

President Donald Trump says that Colin Kaepernick should get another chance to play in the NFL if he can play well, but he reiterated that he doesn’t want to see people kneel during the national anthem.

I think we can assume its just a feeble attempt to 'soften' his image with regards to race relations. (Either that, or maybe he actually forgot who Kaeprenick is.)

So, does anyone want to take any bets on how long it will take for Trump to say "fire him" if Kaeprenick gets another shot in the NFL?

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th June 2020, 09:58 AM   #25
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:

A little context is important.

You haven't given a specific reference, but generally the skeptics here tend to base their opinions on more mainstream, accurate sources than the Daily Mail.

In the cases where the daily mail will post something that is supported by other sources, people may not necessarily see the need to correct the reference.

If the Daily Mail posted "the sky is blue", a lot of people wouldn't find it necessary to say "The daily mail is often wrong, but here's a better reference" since the claim is supported by sources other than the daily mail. The problem is when people use the Daily Mail for marginal claims that don't have a lot of support from other sources.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th June 2020, 10:06 AM   #26
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
So now Colin Kaepernick is no longer persona non grata.

President Donald Trump says that Colin Kaepernick should get another chance to play in the NFL if he can play well, but he reiterated that he doesn’t want to see people kneel during the national anthem.

I think we can assume its just a feeble attempt to 'soften' his image with regards to race relations. (Either that, or maybe he actually forgot who Kaeprenick is.)

So, does anyone want to take any bets on how long it will take for Trump to say "fire him" if Kaeprenick gets another shot in the NFL?
Funny. I want to see EVERY SINGLE PLAYER KNEEL. I kind of want to go to a game just so I could kneel in the stands.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:32 AM   #27
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

FB has removed Trump ads because it says they violate their 'organized hate' policy. The ads used a triangle symbol that was used by the Nazis to identify political prisoners.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:42 AM   #28
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

He really is pushing the "Dems want to take your guns away" fear mongering. I do find it very weird that he used the phrase " shotgun blasts into the face of people that are proud to call themselves Republicans or Conservatives," then refers to the 2nd Amendment.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:43 AM   #29
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Funny. I want to see EVERY SINGLE PLAYER KNEEL. I kind of want to go to a game just so I could kneel in the stands.
Already happened in the UK. As the premier league restarted, all players took a knee including the match officials.
https://news.sky.com/story/black-liv...turns-12008964

ETA: It should be mentioned that it was after kick-off, i.e. in the actual match, not pre- or post- match.

...love and buttercakes...

Last edited by abaddon; 18th June 2020 at 10:46 AM.
abaddon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:45 AM   #30
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
FB has removed Trump ads because it says they violate their 'organized hate' policy. The ads used a triangle symbol that was used by the Nazis to identify political prisoners.
How could such a symbol have "accidentally" or "by mistake" appeared in the ads?
Old 18th June 2020, 10:51 AM   #31
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Probably related to the political bot screening, Twitter is now asking me for a phone number so they can verify my account. **** that, Twitter is not getting my phone number. I suppose I could use a free "junk" number I have if it comes to that, but I'd really only need it for posting, and I get so little reaction that it's not worth the effort.

Here's a link I use quite often. It does a Google search for the Tweets Trump made recently.
Trump Tweets for Today
I only use the link to the
Quote:
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) · Twitter
selection which gets me where I want. It usually has three boxes with his latest Tweets. I sometimes like to read the comments or just see how egregious the Tweet was by seeing how many replies it got.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:55 AM   #32
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How could such a symbol have "accidentally" or "by mistake" appeared in the ads?
It couldn't, lest not anywhere but in the minds of the insane.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:56 AM   #33
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Already happened in the UK. As the premier league restarted, all players took a knee including the match officials.
https://news.sky.com/story/black-liv...turns-12008964

ETA: It should be mentioned that it was after kick-off, i.e. in the actual match, not pre- or post- match.
That's great. But it's an entirely different ballgame in the US with the flag and the Anthem. Especially during an American football game. They take this ultra seriously here. 65 percent of the players are of African descent whereas in the stands it is 95 percent white and ticket prices so high the fans in the stands bend Republican. I'm thinking that this isn't over. Not by a long shot.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:58 AM   #34
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
It couldn't, lest not anywhere but in the minds of the insane.
It is amusing how clever the CHAN crowd thinks it is. As if only they can figure out the origin of symbols.
Old 18th June 2020, 11:16 AM   #35
Belz...
Fiend God

As if SCOTUS can repeal an amendment.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 11:19 AM   #36
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

As President of the United States, I am asking for a legal solution on DACA, not a political one, consistent with the rule of law. The Supreme Court is not willing to give us one, so now we have to start this process all over again.

The DACA decision, while a highly political one, and seemingly not based on the law, gives the President of the United States far more power than EVER anticipated. Nevertheless, I will only act in the best interests of the United States of America!

The recent Supreme Court decisions, not only on DACA, Sanctuary Cities, Census, and others, tell you only one thing, we need NEW JUSTICES of the Supreme Court. If the Radical Left Democrats assume power, your Second Amendment, Right to Life, Secure Borders, and...

...Religious Liberty, among many other things, are OVER and GONE!
Old 18th June 2020, 11:20 AM   #37
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I will be releasing a new list of Conservative Supreme Court Justice nominees, which may include some, or many of those already on the list, by September 1, 2020. If given the opportunity, I will only choose from this list, as in the past, a Conservative Supreme Court Justice...

...Based on decisions being rendered now, this list is more important than ever before (Second Amendment, Right to Life, Religous Liberty, etc.) – VOTE 2020!
Old 18th June 2020, 11:23 AM   #38
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Quote:
Trump Tweets

I will be releasing a new list of Conservative Supreme Court Justice nominees, which may include some, or many of those already on the list, by September 1, 2020. If given the opportunity, I will only choose from this list, as in the past, a Conservative Supreme Court Justice...
Trump: "It is my sad duty to nominate my daughter Ivanka to replace the deceased Justice Ginsburg"
Ginsburg: "I'm not dead yet"
Trump: "Sometimes I can still hear her voice."
Old 18th June 2020, 11:27 AM   #39
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wonder what the point of that is.

His supporters probably don't care exactly what judges he picks, as long as they are willing to oppress women and minorities. But if he provides a list that has some... questionable... individuals, it could backfire, since the Democrats can concentrate on the worst possible individuals on his list as an example of what Trump will do if he isn't stopped.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th June 2020, 11:31 AM   #40
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Wonder what the point of that is.
A coded "If you don't elect me in 2020 da libruls are going to get to pick the next SCOTUS and make abortions mandatory and take away your guns and install Sharia Law and ban apple pie" message to his followers.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics