ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 18th June 2020, 06:40 PM   #81
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Does Trump think he can fire a Supreme Court Judge?
He can if nobody stops him, just like everything else he can't do.
Old 18th June 2020, 06:44 PM   #82
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
He can if nobody stops him, just like everything else he can't do.
Nah. There's no way even the Republicans would let him get away with trying that. Besides, what's he going to do? Send the police to drag one of the Justices away from the Supreme Court Building?
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:03 PM   #83
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Does Trump think he can fire a Supreme Court Judge?
Stubby McBonespurs can't fire a supreme court judge. (I think the only way they can be removed is by impeachment.)

In theory they could increase the size of the supreme court (from 9 to 10 or 11 members) and fill the new slots with conservative judges, but that would require congress to agree, and I doubt they could get the democrats in the house to go along with that. (Almost surprised the republicans didn't try that in Trump's first 2 years.)

(Some people think that if the Democrats win both the senate and white house, that they should increase the size of the supreme court, to make up for the whole Moscow Mitch/Garland/Gorsuch episode.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:28 PM   #84
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Nah. There's no way even the Republicans would let him get away with trying that. Besides, what's he going to do? Send the police to drag one of the Justices away from the Supreme Court Building?
In the same sense that the Rolling Stones used Hells Angels as security at the Altamont.

He doesn't need the police, he has his cult members. If he tells them "The Supreme Court is part of the deep state" they'll believe him.
Old 18th June 2020, 07:38 PM   #85
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump campaign bought Facebook ads with Nazi symbols for "liberals."

Quote:
Facebook on Thursday deactivated dozens of ads placed by President Trump’s reelection campaign that included a symbol once used by the Nazis to designate political prisoners in concentration camps.

The marking appeared as part of the campaign’s online salvo against antifa and “far-left groups."

A red inverted triangle was used in the 1930s to identify Communists, and was applied as well to Social Democrats, liberals, Freemasons and other members of opposition parties incarcerated by the Nazis.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cal-prisoners/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 07:42 PM   #86
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

In the same sense that the Rolling Stones used Hells Angels as security at the Altamont.

He doesn't need the police, he has his cult members. If he tells them "The Supreme Court is part of the deep state" they'll believe him.
They might believe him, but Washington is one of the most heavily policed cities in the world, not to mention surrounded by military bases. If the fat stupid Trumpers showed up armed like they did in Michigan, they wouldn't stand a chance.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:02 PM   #87
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is already twtting "The Supreme Court Does not like me".
How long until he tweets "Who will rid me of this troublesome Supreme Court Justice?"

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:05 PM   #88
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

In his WSJ interview, Trump spends nearly 300 words—unprompted—defending his walk down the ramp at West Point.

"If you would have seen this ramp, it was like an ice skating rink.”

Also his saluting, a general said "That's amazing no other president would have been able to do it"
What, did he need to use his second hand to help hold up the saluting hand?
Old 18th June 2020, 08:05 PM   #89
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Trump campaign bought Facebook ads with Nazi symbols for "liberals."

Quote:
Facebook on Thursday deactivated dozens of ads placed by President Trump’s reelection campaign that included a symbol once used by the Nazis to designate political prisoners in concentration camps.

The marking appeared as part of the campaign’s online salvo against antifa and “far-left groups."

A red inverted triangle was used in the 1930s to identify Communists, and was applied as well to Social Democrats, liberals, Freemasons and other members of opposition parties incarcerated by the Nazis.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...cal-prisoners/
Given Trump had no idea about Juneteenth and being an anti-student of history, he would certainly not have known anything about the significance of that insignia personally. But raging Nazi psychopaths like Miller, who has numerous links to the white nationalist movements, almost certainly would.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:14 PM   #90
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I'm surprised Trump didn't issue an executive order renaming the day "Trumpteenth"!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:16 PM   #91
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Some more bad polling results for Stubby McBonespurs...

Former Vice President Joe Biden has opened up a 12 point lead over President Trump in the latest Fox News national poll...

Back when it was CNN giving similar results, Trump got his own pollster to write a critique and demanded they retract their reporting of the results. I wonder if we are going to see the same sort of temper tantrum this time. (I know Trump occasionally complains about Fox, but its still his most important supporter.)

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 08:23 PM   #92
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Some more bad polling results for Stubby McBonespurs...

Former Vice President Joe Biden has opened up a 12 point lead over President Trump in the latest Fox News national poll...

Back when it was CNN giving similar results, Trump got his own pollster to write a critique and demanded they retract their reporting of the results. I wonder if we are going to see the same sort of temper tantrum this time. (I know Trump occasionally complains about Fox, but its still his most important supporter.)

Quote:
Biden ... also leads among voters over the age of 65 by 10 points.

Trump, meanwhile, leads by 41 points among evangelicals, although he carried Christians by 64 points in 2016. He leads by 9 points among rural voters, a demographic he won by 27 points in the last election.

These numbers are killing Trump. He's losing in one of his major constituencies, and losing ground (and a lot of ground) in two others? That's really bad. Well, bad for Trump anyways, it's great for everyone else.
Old 18th June 2020, 08:31 PM   #93
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Biden ... also leads among voters over the age of 65 by 10 points.

Trump, meanwhile, leads by 41 points among evangelicals, although he carried Christians by 64 points in 2016. He leads by 9 points among rural voters, a demographic he won by 27 points in the last election.

These numbers are killing Trump. He's losing in one of his major constituencies, and losing ground (and a lot of ground) in two others? That's really bad. Well, bad for Trump anyways, it's great for everyone else.
Plus, when you look at various states, you see even more problems... states like Texas (that he won easily) and Florida are now competitive.

Now, I doubt very much that places like Texas will go for Biden in the next election... but it may force the republicans to spend money an other resources to shore up their base there (which leaves fewer resources for the swing states.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th June 2020, 08:55 PM   #94
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
If the behaviour you mention is so common, presumably you can link to a few dozen examples of liberal-leaning posters quoting the Daily Mail as a source without giving a health warning about the quality of their coverage.
For myself, I've poked at the Daily Mail probably once in the last year, with a pointed note that the source isn't particularly trustworthy. Something like "If true, blah blah blah, but this is the Daily Mail."

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I notice that some Brits talk about the Daily Mail (using the term Fail) as being biased towards the right wing (as Americans know it). But it looks to me that the US Edition leans to the left.

I could be wrong about that.
For calibration, in the US, the "left leaning" MSM is mostly slight right in reality, while the right wing stuff tends to be far right to extremist right. All that yammering about the "left wing media" is part of a long running and pointedly cynical strategy that has little to do with reality and lots to do with trying to gain political advantages.

I think the problem is, many of Trump's supporters actually support the DACA program.

(See: Politico)

So, complaining about how the supreme court is protecting DACA recipients might actually hurt him with his base. So, he has to state things in a way that his base might actually care about... "They're taking our guns!"
I think the Trump's DACA/LGBT/etc failures are much more likely to be related to how... insanely terrible the Trump Administration's arguments in court tend to be. Remember, these are the people who literally argued that Trump could shoot people in the middle of 5th Avenue and Trump would still be completely immune to prosecution AND investigation. These are the people who argued that making cars more expensive would increase demand. These are the people who outright told Congress that "Science is a Democrat thing." They're making no effort to hide that their "reasoning" is a pathetic joke and trying to just ram stuff through.

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
How could such a symbol have "accidentally" or "by mistake" appeared in the ads?
It didn't. Any defender who tries to say that it was an accident or a mistake can safely be eviscerated.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:29 PM   #95
SezMe
post-pre-born

But almost always I skip reading any politics articles because I don't like politics.
And yet, here you are, posting in a thread which is nothing but pure politics. Odd, that.

I solve that by not reading about politics, or maybe not further than a headline of which I care little anyways because I don't like politics. I rarely look at Fox News because it just doesn't suit my news preferences which are hugely non-political.
Me thinks he doth protesteth too much.

Last edited by SezMe; 18th June 2020 at 09:31 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:29 PM   #96
Delphic Oracle
Illuminator

Trump tweeted a video which shows CNN portraying a cute viral video of black and white toddlers hugging and running off (only showing the running off part) with a fake CNN logo and text saying the white kid is racist and probably a Trump voter.

The video attacks "fake news" by faking a video.

CNN did cover this viral video last year in a typical blurb noting the video went viral.

Twitter slapped his tweet with a "manipulated media" warning.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:41 PM   #97
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I'm curious. How many people think Trump's Juneteenth rally in Tulsa was just a coincidental mistake. And how many believe it was/is a dog whistle?
Old 18th June 2020, 09:41 PM   #98
SezMe
post-pre-born

Trump Tweets

As President of the United States, I am asking for a legal solution on DACA, not a political one, consistent with the rule of law. The Supreme Court is not willing to give us one, so now we have to start this process all over again.
THAT'S NOT THEIR JOB, you friggin' idiot.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 09:41 PM   #99
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Quote:
I think the problem is, many of Trump's supporters actually support the DACA program.

(See: Politico)

So, complaining about how the supreme court is protecting DACA recipients might actually hurt him with his base. So, he has to state things in a way that his base might actually care about... "They're taking our guns!"
I think the Trump's DACA/LGBT/etc failures are much more likely to be related to how... insanely terrible the Trump Administration's arguments in court tend to be.
I am not denying that Trump's legal team has been less than stellar. (Of course, some of the things they are arguing are so stupid that they would probably lose even if they did have good lawyers.)

My earlier post wasn't about the reason why Trump was losing those cases.

My post was in response to a question about why Trump was bringing up the second amendment after losing court cases on gay rights and DACA. In that case, talking about gun rights seemed like a bit of a non sequitur.... he lost an immigration case, why doesn't he complain about the rulings on immigration rather than the 2nd amendment.

We are Groot - Groot
Old 18th June 2020, 09:44 PM   #100
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm curious. How many people think Trump's Juneteenth rally in Tulsa was just a coincidental mistake. And how many believe it was/is a dog whistle?
Before the "red triangle" I would have said carelessness.
But now I think that there is an actual neo-nazi in the campaign trying to send out as many facist flares as he can.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:46 PM   #101
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
What effort? Don't the Federalist guys have the list already?

This is all another distraction.
Good point. If Trump does provide a list, it will be interesting to see how (if?) it diverges from the Federalist list.
Old 18th June 2020, 09:50 PM   #102
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
To be entirely fair to him, looking at the video it seems like his legs are slipping on the ramp, so maybe it was slippery.

300 words is way too much, however.
No, no, no. It was *NOT* slippery. That's a plain, simple fact. Don't extend your fairness beyond established fact.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:01 PM   #103
SezMe
post-pre-born

(Some people think that if the Democrats win both the senate and white house, that they should increase the size of the supreme court, to make up for the whole Moscow Mitch/Garland/Gorsuch episode.)
A more credible possible action is to create another appellate court because that level of the judiciary is woefully backlogged. The GOPers will howl like hell but, if it happens, I'm going to be grinning from ear to ear. The real icing on top of the cake would be to place Garland as the chief justice of that new court.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:04 PM   #104
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
But now I think that there is an actual neo-nazi in the campaign trying to send out as many facist flares as he can.
Well, when you have an out and out White Supremacist in Steven Miller writing your speech on race, the idea that there isn't this that kind of messaging taking place seems ri3.
Old 18th June 2020, 10:09 PM   #105
SezMe
post-pre-born

That question could be answered with another question: How much influence does Miller have in the scheduling process?
Old 18th June 2020, 10:36 PM   #106
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Get a grip, Joe.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2020, 10:59 PM   #107
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
The Daily Mail has an Australian edition, too. Apparently to keep costs down the few journalists on the staff spend most of their day plagiarizing the other local press. Hence the different content and biases to their British masters.
I've also been told that the online version is nothing like as bad as the printed version. I can't confirm that from my own experience because I never read either.
Old 19th June 2020, 12:49 AM   #108
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
This steaming little turd.

ETA: I was going to say "ninja'd numerous times" but thought better. Given the subject, "Werewolved! numerous times".
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 19th June 2020 at 12:51 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 12:53 AM   #109
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Good point. If Trump does provide a list, it will be interesting to see how (if?) it diverges from the Federalist list.
President Trump very rarely *does* anything. He says a bunch of stuff but when it comes to following through he's usually left lacking.

I'm still waiting for him to clarify Melania's immigration status when she came to the US - something that was going to happen "in two weeks" several years ago.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:00 AM   #110
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Butbut democrats!
It was sarcasm!
It made a forgotten event famous!
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:06 AM   #111
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
President Trump very rarely *does* anything. He says a bunch of stuff but when it comes to following through he's usually left lacking.

It’s the nearest thing he has to a redeeming feature.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:10 AM   #112
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Claims ‘Nobody Had Ever Heard Of’ Juneteenth Before He Made It ‘Very Famous’
Old 19th June 2020, 01:18 AM   #113
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

A more credible possible action is to create another appellate court because that level of the judiciary is woefully backlogged.
Not sure if that would be such a good idea.

There are already lengthy delays in cases being decided in the supreme court. Adding another level of appeals before a case actually reaches the top might drag things out longer, and the new court won't have the same precedent-setting ability.
Quote:
The GOPers will howl like hell but, if it happens, I'm going to be grinning from ear to ear. The real icing on top of the cake would be to place Garland as the chief justice of that new court.
I'd go a bit further...

Garland was a moderate choice Obama made... a sort of middle-of-the-road decision that might get passed by Senate republicans fairly easily. (Well, assuming Moscow mitch didn't block things.) But if the Democrats get the senate and white house? I'd go far far left... judges that would make Ginsberg seem like a republican by comparison. As a way for the democrats to say "We tried to be reasonable and meet you half way with Garland. You acted like dickheads. No sense in us trying to play nice. Enjoy your commie-loving judges."

We are Groot - Groot
Old 19th June 2020, 01:33 AM   #114
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

GOPers howl like hell because of a tan suit.

Let's give them something actually worth howling about.
Old 19th June 2020, 01:35 AM   #115
TheSupermeerkat
Muse

I think it was clearly a dog whistle. After having read about Stephen Miller and his far right leanings I am convinced of it.
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 01:35 AM   #116
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Yes, why would a large section of the US populace have any knowledge of the date on which their ancestors ceased to be possessions and (in theory at least) became people in their own right.

I'd say he's tone deaf, but that doesn't even begin to cover it.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 02:30 AM   #117
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
His legs were unstable, but it was a hot dry day according to press at the event. And the senior military officer next to him seemed to handle it just fine.

He has little twig legs trying to hold up that big belly and they are just not up to the job anymore.
Okay well the camera's a bit shaky so it's not quite obvious to me either way. I thought it could have been slippery from dew or previous rain.

No, no, no. It was *NOT* slippery. That's a plain, simple fact. Don't extend your fairness beyond established fact.
What's established about it? When you walk, one of your legs is on the ground, and that one isn't supposed to be moving. On the video, that leg seemed to be slightly slipping downwards, which is why I said it was possible.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Last edited by Belz...; 19th June 2020 at 02:44 AM.
Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 02:33 AM   #118
Armitage72
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I've also been told that the online version is nothing like as bad as the printed version. I can't confirm that from my own experience because I never read either.

Years ago, I saw a joke "Random Daily Mail Headline Generator" online. The headlines it created mostly contained various combinations of "illegal immigrant", "royal family", "property prices", "loony left", and "Britain's swans".

I think this was it.

WILL GYPSIES MAKE HOMEOWNERS IMPOTENT?
IS THE BBC CHEATING BRITAIN'S SWANS?
HAVE THE P.C. BRIGADE DEVALUED TAXPAYERS?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 02:41 AM   #119
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
Trump tweeted a video which shows CNN portraying a cute viral video of black and white toddlers hugging and running off (only showing the running off part) with a fake CNN logo and text saying the white kid is racist and probably a Trump voter.

The video attacks "fake news" by faking a video.

CNN did cover this viral video last year in a typical blurb noting the video went viral.

Twitter slapped his tweet with a "manipulated media" warning.
When are Twitter just going to ban this guy? He's abusing the platform and there's no compelling reason to keep him there.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 02:42 AM   #120
Belz...
Fiend God

Dog whistle? I don't understand why it'd be so in this instance, but then I wasn't aware of the word "juneteenth" until yesterday.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics