ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 19th June 2020, 08:04 PM   #281
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
If you want to pay money to s end your kids to a private school, that is your right as a parent,and I have no problem with that, but don't ask me as a US Taxpayer to foot the bill.
Wrong attitude. If you were the owner of that private school, you too would be trying to make as much profit as possible from anywhere you could legally get it. Just ask De Vos.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:11 PM   #282
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
I don't come here for politics. I come as an observer and commentator on political fanaticism which is common to all the political parties.
That's funny. That paragraph has a Trumpian quality to it. Carry on.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:15 PM   #283
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
It was a warm June day filled with sunshine. The place where the event took place was a grassy field. Reporters noted that walking around on the grass did not get their shoes wet. I aver that if the grassy field was dry so was the hard surface of the ramp. Well, I suppose a groundskeeper could have sprayed the ramp with water just before Trump ended his speech.

I just think you laudable attempt to be fair went beyond what is reasonable. YMMV.
My guess is, with the lifts in his shoes he likes to wear them really loose. Descending at such an angle, he was slipping down into the toe part and had to walk gingerly to keep from popping out of the heels.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:20 PM   #284
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Yeah but right now "The Left" is the one on the anti-police side and the Left loves Unions the way Smithers loves Mr. Burns.

Sure they'll try to make the "Oh that just means there are good and bad unions" distinction now but since they have never made that distinction in the past and have been full on "Unions are awesome, working man working" that ain't going to sell well in Peoria.

The Right won't side against cops, the Left won't side against a union. There's no path to victory here within the two political dynasties.
I don't think police unions are inherently bad. What's wrong is the power they somehow have arrogated for themselves. A restructuring seems in order, that' all.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 08:36 PM   #285
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That's only because they said that Richard Gere put a gerbil in his butt. They were half right.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:51 PM   #286
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Think about this Stacy. Imagine say Trump wanting to pack the court. He nominates justices and the Republican Senate approves those justices and Chief Justice Roberts administers their oath. How do you stop that?
I do not trust stubby Mcbonespurs or Moscow Mitch with any political power. I thing Republicans will abuse whatever authority they have. But I do think there are limits... They need at least some legal framework, some veneer that they are following procedure.

Because of that there are a lot of things they can't do... Pass laws or orders that counts say are unconstitutional or without proper congressional approval, cancel the election, etc. Unilaterally adding judges would be one of those things that just does not have a legal framework.

If you think he might try stacking the courts that way (i.e. illegally), he might just go the other way and disolve the supreme Court.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:10 PM   #287
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
I do not trust stubby Mcbonespurs or Moscow Mitch with any political power. I thing Republicans will abuse whatever authority they have. But I do think there are limits... They need at least some legal framework, some veneer that they are following procedure.

Because of that there are a lot of things they can't do... Pass laws or orders that counts say are unconstitutional or without proper congressional approval, cancel the election, etc. Unilaterally adding judges would be one of those things that just does not have a legal framework.

If you think he might try stacking the courts that way (i.e. illegally), he might just go the other way and disolve the supreme Court.
You're not wrong. I've been playing a bit of "what if" and "Devil's Advocate". This is political and power brinksmanship. Trump and the GOP have shown they will ignore norms. It takes people to say "no". Roberts has shown he's willing to say no to Trump so my imaginary scenario seems unlikely to me at the moment.

Trying to disband the court is also unlikely in my mind.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:14 PM   #288
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I don't think police unions are inherently bad. What's wrong is the power they somehow have arrogated for themselves. A restructuring seems in order, that' all.
there is something inherently problematic with allowing Unionization in sectors that are critical to the economy or society - the effects of a strike go far beyond the direct employer, which gives them outsize negotiation power.

That doesn't mean that Police Unions should be banned, but there must be limits to what they can do.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:28 PM   #289
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

All it takes is a simple majority in the Senate and a receptive court.
Court has nothing to say a bout it, really. If the senate and President agree the number of judges whould be changed, the Sitting Supreme Court can really do onthing to stop it except yell loudly about it and influence public opinion.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:29 PM   #290
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

My problwm with the police unions is they are not cncerned with the things unionnnns are usulally conserned about..getting fair treatment and pay for their memebers..but seeing theri members are immune to having to be responsbile for their actions.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:33 PM   #291
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Court has nothing to say a bout it, really. If the senate and President agree the number of judges whould be changed, the Sitting Supreme Court can really do onthing to stop it except yell loudly about it and influence public opinion.
I was thinking that is a possibility too. But if SCOTUS rules against this lining up against the Senate and POTUS says no, you have pretty much entirely thrown out judicial review.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:42 PM   #292
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Another account of how we got here, and a warning:

Originally Posted by Salon
To count him out before the ballots are cast and counted would be a mistake as awful as those of the politics reporters who covered the 2016 campaign.
https://www.salon.com/2020/06/19/don...t-yet_partner/
Hell, I’m not prepared to count him out after the votes are cast and counted.

He’ll go full meltdown.

Is there anything other than sanity to prevent a president from launching nukes on a US city? I don’t think it will come to that. This is more of an academic thing.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:42 PM   #293
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

I'm not sure that many Americans knew what it was either.
As a Pennsylvanian, I can say that this general event was the first time that I had ever even read the word "Juneteenth."

Tulsa is the location of the worst known racial violence in America. The Tulsa race massacre of 1921, a two-day explosion of violence in which white Oklahomans killed hundreds of African-Americans and burned businesses in a prosperous district known as "Black Wall Street." The bloody attack is considered "the single worst incident of racial violence in American history," according to the Oklahoma Historical Society.
Also, at last check, it was by far the most damaging case of domestic terrorism in the US' history, at least outside the Civil War, not just racial violence.

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
I'm not sure I agree with that part. There might be some superficial resemblance because they all claim to be Christians, but in behavior, a lot of the predominantly-white churches that the GOP panders to seem quite different from those of predominantly-black churches. While black churches seem to be an overall positive influence on their communities and society at large, the white churches seem to spend a lot more of their time on exclusionary, "culture wars" type things, that underlie a whole lot of the problems we're dealing with today.

If a white atheist in Canada can see that, I'm pretty sure a lot of black Christians in the US can see it as well.
Mmm. It's well worth noting that not even remotely all "white" Christian churches are like that. Much about the US' Religious Right can be traced back to the white supremacist version of Christianity that the Confederacy made intrinsic to their power play, more specifically, and much about that can be traced back to the cotton industry in the southern states (which can be described as the most profitable industry that the world had ever known, at that point) and the motivated logic and power plays that the few that benefited most from it engaged in. The Religious Right =/= white Christianity, though.

Last edited by Aridas; 19th June 2020 at 09:49 PM.
Aridas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:47 PM   #294
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Trump fires the U.S. Attorney investigating his pals, who responds "Oh, no you didn't."
Quote:
Attorney General William P. Barr on Friday night abruptly tried to fire the top federal prosecutor in Manhattan, Geoffrey S. Berman, who has investigated several of President Trump’s closest associates, but Mr. Berman said he would not leave.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/19/n...tan-trump.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 09:55 PM   #295
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump fires the U.S. Attorney investigating his pals, who responds "Oh, no you didn't."

Amazing. Imagine theoretically your boss announcing that you had resigned unbeknownst to you.
Old 19th June 2020, 09:59 PM   #296
Cain
Straussian

Trump's just making good on his promise to Erodgan, but now liberals are trying to spin this as a bad thing.
Old 19th June 2020, 10:05 PM   #297
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Another example of the politicization of the DOJ under Trump crony Barr. Outrageous.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:02 PM   #298
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Amazing. Imagine theoretically your boss announcing that you had resigned unbeknownst to you.
But Trump does this all the time. And he probably does have the legal authority to do it - those are patronage jobs, despite the thin fiction of an independent prosecutorial authority.

This one may bug Barr more than most though. He still wants to be recognized as a qualified attorney, but the profession may turn on him.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2020, 11:06 PM   #299
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump's just making good on his promise to Erodgan, but now liberals are trying to spin this as a bad thing.
Erdogan? I'm not seeing the connection.

Now if the U.S. Attorney for Pennsylvania were to move against Gülen, that would be pretty scandalous.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 12:07 AM   #300
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But Trump does this all the time. And he probably does have the legal authority to do it - those are patronage jobs, despite the thin fiction of an independent prosecutorial authority.

What's different is that he was not appointed by Trump, but by federal judges.
Quote:
“I was appointed by the judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York,” Mr. Berman said in his statement. “I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate. Until then, our investigations will move forward without delay or interruption.”

Essentially he's saying "You can't fire me because you never hired me." It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:52 AM   #301
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

For context on Berman, his office is currently investigating Giuliani.
Old 20th June 2020, 01:54 AM   #302
Belz...
Fiend God

Sure. But the fact that the Constitution doesn't mention something doesn't mean that the laws passed by Congress are unconstitutional.
It also doesn't mean that ice cream is delicious but I haven't heard either claim made here.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:56 AM   #303
Belz...
Fiend God

It was a warm June day filled with sunshine. The place where the event took place was a grassy field. Reporters noted that walking around on the grass did not get their shoes wet. I aver that if the grassy field was dry so was the hard surface of the ramp. Well, I suppose a groundskeeper could have sprayed the ramp with water just before Trump ended his speech.

I just think you laudable attempt to be fair went beyond what is reasonable. YMMV.
It wasn't an "attempt" to be fair. It was my tentative conclusion from watching the video, rather than a knee-jerk reaction to seeing Trump in it.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:59 AM   #304
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

What's different is that he was not appointed by Trump, but by federal judges.

Essentially he's saying "You can't fire me because you never hired me." It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out.
That's interesting. I'd never heard of such a thing.

Also I get Cain's reference to Erdogan now.
Old 20th June 2020, 02:03 AM   #305
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
For context on Berman, his office is currently investigating Giuliani.
To be precise, Giuliani's lobbying for foreign funding for the Trump Campaign.
Old 20th June 2020, 02:25 AM   #306
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Informed Dr. Fauci this morning that he has nothing to do with NFL Football. Forced Democrat run Minnesota to bring in the National Guard & end rioting & looting after seeing the destruction & crime in Minneapolis. 100% successful! Waiting to hear from Dem run Washington State...

....as to whether they want help in taking back Seattle. Ready to move quickly! Damage to various Democrat run Cities & States, including statue demolition, should not be allowed to happen. Ready to solve problem quickly! Federal Government is Ready, Willing & Able!@TuckerCarlson
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:29 AM   #307
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Larry Liberty
@LbrtyNow
Susan Rice knowingly lied to America about “the video” - Obama and Clinton abandon our Patriots, Rice abaondon the truth toncover it up. #Benghazi
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:30 AM   #308
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

JT Lewis
@thejtlewis
Joe Biden is reportedly deciding between Kamala Harris and Susan Rice to be his running mate.
The Democrats have had 4 years since Trump won and that’s the best they could come up with.
They’re doomed.

Joe Pags Pagliarulo
@JoeTalkShow
Susan Rice lied her ass off over and over about what caused the terrorist attack in #Benghazi. She should know about trash heaps in history -- as that's where her record has landed her. She should face charges over Benghazi.

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
Susan Rice is a proven liar and a disgrace to our country.

Errol Webber For Congress (CA-37)
@ErrolWebber
US House candidate, CA-37
The Biden campaign can't decide between Kamala Harris and Susan Rice for his Vice President. When those are your choices, you know that the Democrat Party is DEAD!
Old 20th June 2020, 02:31 AM   #309
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Perhaps Supreme court justices are good "value for the person". There are a couple of problems though;

- To get those supreme court justices, you need to have control of the presidency, and the senate.

- Justices are limited in what they can rule on.... cases must be presented to them (i.e. they can't proactively make rulings.)

- Even a 'friendly' judge may sometimes rule against you, if there is little or no ambiguity in the law. (Witness Gorsuch and the recent gay ruling)

A president may only be in power 4 or 8 years, but in that time they can issue executive orders over a much wider range of areas proactively, and while they may be constrained by law, they can also play a role in changing existing laws.
Re: The highlighted, while they can't proactively make rulings, they can all but wave a flag, letting activists know that they can get a favourable ruling by getting a case to the Supreme Court.

Consider Harris v. Quinn, in which Justice Alito spent half the majority opinion musing that it was time to reconsider Abood v. Detroit Board of Education, a unanimous decision that permitted unions to collect agency fees (or fair-share fees) from non-members they were required to provide various services for. As Justice Kagan noted in her dissent, this was curious as Harris had nothing to do with agency fees or Abood to begin with.

Conservative activists got the message though, and a frenzy ensued, with various groups trying to get a case before the Supreme Court as soon as possible, to the point they'd actively file to have their cases dismissed in the lower courts, so they could move up the ladder to the next level. They did eventually succeed with Janus v. AFSCME, once Gorsuch had been seated and the court had regained its conservative majority (a previous case, Friedrichs v. California Teachers Association died with Scalia).
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:32 AM   #310
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

#Benghazi seems to be trending
Old 20th June 2020, 02:33 AM   #311
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

The D.C. Police are not doing their job as they watch a statue be ripped down & burn. These people should be immediately arrested. A disgrace to our Country!
@MayorBowser

Watch Live: Trump Supporters Descend on Tulsa on Eve of Trump Rally https://breitbart.com/politics/2020/...f-trump-rally/ via @BreitbartNews
Thank you to all. See you tonight in Tulsa!
Old 20th June 2020, 02:34 AM   #312
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Charlie Kirk
@charliekirk11
This man is NOT black according to Joe Biden
Maybe Joe just doesn’t want him spreading the TRUTH about the Democrat Party’s bitterly racist history
Know the facts, don’t let the media keep lying to you
RT to spread @magamuscles’ message!!

https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/st...64903763496965

(video in link)
Old 20th June 2020, 04:00 AM   #313
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
#Benghazi seems to be trending
Susan Rice made some remarks on MSNBC that has set off the fauxrage machine.

Quote:
“...remove Donald Trump and consign him and his supporters in the Senate to the trash heap of history.”
was being spun as her calling trump supporters trash.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 04:38 AM   #314
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

(I myself am Canadian too and I often almost make the mistake of connecting myself to the u.s. system. Guess it's a combination of the current dullness of the Canadian system along with the influence of the u.s. economically and socially.)

The last four years have proven that Canadians can't just ignore US politics. We were going along perfectly fine, and then all of a sudden we're in a trade war and being declared a threat to US national security. And US policy is being dictated by a petty loser who hates our Prime Minister because he's better looking than Trump, and is willing to **** the whole country because of that. When I said "blow up in our faces", I meant it. Four more years of Trump will be a disaster for Canada as well as the US.

And it galls me that the fate of Canadians rests solely on the ability of American citizens to not **** something up.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Mmm. It's well worth noting that not even remotely all "white" Christian churches are like that. Much about the US' Religious Right can be traced back to the white supremacist version of Christianity that the Confederacy made intrinsic to their power play, more specifically, and much about that can be traced back to the cotton industry in the southern states (which can be described as the most profitable industry that the world had ever known, at that point) and the motivated logic and power plays that the few that benefited most from it engaged in. The Religious Right =/= white Christianity, though.

That's why I included the limit of churches that the GOP panders to. I don't think an overwhelming majority of Unitarian Universalists are chomping at the bit to vote for Trump, for example.
Old 20th June 2020, 05:43 AM   #315
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Quote:
Erdogan? I'm not seeing the connection.
One of the claims made by Bolton is that Trump offered to end an investigation into Turkish companies that violated Iranian sanctions that the Southern district of NY was doing.

Not sure if Berman was personally involved in that investigation, but removing him might disrupt the SDNY and interfere with the investigation.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...ey-probe-after

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 05:51 AM   #316
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Lots of jerks Bogarting the camera when CNN is trying to report on the people waiting in line for the rally tonight.
Old 20th June 2020, 06:08 AM   #317
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Hell, I’m not prepared to count him out after the votes are cast and counted.

He’ll go full meltdown.
Or he'll just rationalize it in some way. My guess is that part of him is quite fed up with all the trouble.

Quote:
Is there anything other than sanity to prevent a president from launching nukes on a US city? I don’t think it will come to that. This is more of an academic thing.
After all, he doesn't launch them personally. My guess that those who do would object to the idea. Also, I frankly don't think he's that crazy.

Hans
Old 20th June 2020, 07:45 AM   #318
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Or he'll just rationalize it in some way. My guess is that part of him is quite fed up with all the trouble.

After all, he doesn't launch them personally. My guess that those who do would object to the idea. Also, I frankly don't think he's that crazy.

Hans
He wouldn't even bomb Iran and NK when Bolton wanted him to.
Old 20th June 2020, 07:52 AM   #319
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
He wouldn't even bomb Iran and NK when Bolton wanted him to.
But one of the first things he did was to launch the MOAB (Mother Of All Bombs) just to show how big his dick is. Or to imply it, anyway.
Old 20th June 2020, 08:08 AM   #320
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Wow, I finally agree with failed political consultant Steve Schmidt, who called Wacko John Bolton “a despicable man who failed in his duty to protect America.” Also stated that he should never be allowed to serve in government again. So true! Plain and simple, John Bolton,....

.....who was all washed up until I brought him back and gave him a chance, broke the law by releasing Classified Information (in massive amounts). He must pay a very big price for this, as others have before him. This should never to happen again!!!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics