ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 20th June 2020, 08:11 AM   #321
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Is Trump Trump admitting that all the Democrats who objected John Bolton's appointment were right after all then? Including Obama and Clinton.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 08:12 AM   #322
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Is Trump Trump admitting that all the Democrats who objected John Bolton's appointment were right after all then? Including Obama and Clinton.
He is also admitting that Bolton should have testified against him at the Impeachment.
Old 20th June 2020, 08:21 AM   #323
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Yes, Trump seems to be agreeing that Bolton failed in his duty to protect America from Trump.
Old 20th June 2020, 08:24 AM   #324
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Or he'll just rationalize it in some way. My guess is that part of him is quite fed up with all the trouble.
I agree that any normal person who was as fed up as President Trump would rationalize it away. But the two things Trump hates the most in this world are being laughed at and being called a loser (being being called wrong). So the question then becomes is he a guy who will devoting all, or almost all, his emotion and energy to never being called a loser or is he pathologically opposed to being labeled a loser.

Wil he give the country the finger, say f you, and start his own media network? Or will he act like a four year old and say, “if I can’t have it then nobody can have it. I’m going to break it in half and I’m going to enjoy watching you cry when you figure out that you can’t have it.” Do we really have enough evidence that the guy who claimed voter fraud when he won is not going to dog-whistle up some violence if he loses? Can we point to any calendar month when POTUS did not, at least once, act like he had the emotions of someone less than seven years old?

Quote:
After all, he doesn't launch them personally. My guess that those who do would object to the idea. Also, I frankly don't think he's that crazy.

Hans
I’ll agree that he is not crazy enough to try it. But he is closer to being crazy enough to try it than any president in the Atomic Age. He told Biden to not share COVID information with two states because he was upset that the governors were not giving him the respect he deserved. That is evidence that this is a guy who does not understand that the lives of US citizens have intrinsic worth.
Old 20th June 2020, 08:41 AM   #325
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
But Trump does this all the time. And he probably does have the legal authority to do it - those are patronage jobs, despite the thin fiction of an independent prosecutorial authority.

This one may bug Barr more than most though. He still wants to be recognized as a qualified attorney, but the profession may turn on him.
Trump has the authority. Barr doesn't. But Barr said the man was resigning. Which the man didn't. The head of the SDNY has said he will keep doing his job until another SDNY Chief has been nominated by the President and approved by Congress. All investigations will continue.
Old 20th June 2020, 08:41 AM   #326
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Or he'll just rationalize it in some way. My guess is that part of him is quite fed up with all the trouble.
Yeah, looking at him these days, he is so clearly in over his head and tired of fed up with all the trouble, as you say. Yesterday, watching that press conference where he just sat there like a little kid, not able to answer, when asked why he hired people he believed to be liars, I caught myself wondering if he'd drop out of the 2020 election.

I know he won't, as it'd be totally out of character for him, but he looked that uncomfortable.

If/when he loses, he'll probably make a show of tweeting some angry stuff about rigged elections and do some Trump-ish crazy... stuff, then he'll leave the White House.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 20th June 2020 at 08:42 AM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 09:16 AM   #327
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Maybe it would be more understandable if I said I don't do Republican or Democrat or Independent or Libertarian.

A friend says that in the political realm I am a hermaphrodite. I didn't disagree but said okay as long as that's not a political party. I thought he was actually very good at evaluating me because the term hermaphrodite isn't about being Centrist and it isn't really one thing or another. The hermaphrodite is everything at once and yet is difficult to describe or predict or maybe even understand at all. And you don't tell a hermaphrodite that they need to make up their mind and decide what they are.
Sorry, I don't get your pont. I don't speak Gibberish.
I think it's steering the middle ground between conspiracy-theory promoting racists (many of whom also deny evolution and global warming) and those who are against them.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 09:17 AM   #328
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

BIG COURT WIN against Bolton. Obviously, with the book already given out and leaked to many people and the media, nothing the highly respected Judge could have done about stopping it...BUT, strong & powerful statements & rulings on MONEY & on BREAKING CLASSIFICATION were made....

....Bolton broke the law and has been called out and rebuked for so doing, with a really big price to pay. He likes dropping bombs on people, and killing them. Now he will have bombs dropped on him!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 09:18 AM   #329
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

I thought the judge rejected the book ban?

What's Trump on about?
Old 20th June 2020, 09:22 AM   #330
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

I thought the judge rejected the book ban?

What's Trump on about?
It was a mixed judgement but overall a win for the book’s release. Bolton might still be on the hook for revealing classified info, however.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 09:24 AM   #331
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
It was a mixed judgement but overall a win for the book’s release. Bolton might still be on the hook for revealing classified info, however.
Which, presumably means it's true?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 09:25 AM   #332
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

https://twitter.com/AriBerman/status...648446469?s=20

Quote:
Kentucky cutting number of polling places for Tuesday’s primary from 3700 to 200

There will be one polling place for 616,000 registered voters in Louisville’s Jefferson County, where half state’s black voters live

This is going to be a disaster
Article embedded in tweet.
Old 20th June 2020, 09:41 AM   #333
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Tulsa police have arrested a woman for trespassing wearing an "I Can't Breathe" shirt in the rally line. She had a ticket and everything. And it's not even noon there.
Old 20th June 2020, 09:46 AM   #334
Mader Levap
Muse

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
No, no. They are highly classified lies.
Old 20th June 2020, 10:05 AM   #335
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Tulsa police have arrested a woman for trespassing wearing an "I Can't Breathe" shirt in the rally line. She had a ticket and everything. And it's not even noon there.
Good. Imagine if she were wearing a shirt that said, "I HATE Honkies!" Now multiply that by a million.
Old 20th June 2020, 10:15 AM   #336
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

BIG COURT WIN against Bolton. Obviously, with the book already given out and leaked to many people and the media, nothing the highly respected Judge could have done about stopping it...BUT, strong & powerful statements & rulings on MONEY & on BREAKING CLASSIFICATION were made....

....Bolton broke the law and has been called out and rebuked for so doing, with a really big price to pay. He likes dropping bombs on people, and killing them. Now he will have bombs dropped on him!
This was winning? The book is being released fully. It doesn't matter that the judge commented about it. That has no legal weight whatsoever.
Old 20th June 2020, 10:30 AM   #337
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

I'm tired of so much winning!
Old 20th June 2020, 11:00 AM   #338
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
This sounds like one of those "There's more to the story..." stories.
Old 20th June 2020, 11:04 AM   #339
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
Yeah. The judge apparently got to peek some classified stuff before making the ruling, ja so yes, there's now a court document backing up the veracity of Bolton's book. I hope Trump keeps getting wins like this.
Old 20th June 2020, 11:29 AM   #340
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
This sounds like one of those "There's more to the story..." stories.

Reports say Trumpers told her to leave, and when she refused they called the cops.
Quote:
A women wearing an shirt that said "I can't breathe" was handcuffed and physically removed from the grounds of the rally for President Donald Trump in Tulsa on Saturday.

MSNBC was broadcasting live from outside the BOK Center when Tulsa police officers approached the woman, who was sitting on the ground. One officer leaned down and told her to leave and that if she didn't, they would remove her.

"I have a ticket," she told the officer.

"We're going to put handcuffs on you," he then tells her.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...he-trespassing

Quote:
The full live airing of the arrest is embedded above. Below is a shorter clip, as anchor Alex Witt describes the incident and shows a trimmed set of clips.
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-wo...live-on-msnbc/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 11:42 AM   #341
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
For context on Berman, his office is currently investigating Giuliani.
BINGO! An there ya have it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 11:56 AM   #342
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Six of Trump's campaign staffers in quarantene after testing positive for Covid-19 . The Best People kicking off the rally right .

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/20/p...ers/index.html
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"I cannot say is is suffering from a pathological narcissistic personality disorder, but I think it is clear he is doing a perfect impersonation of someone who is." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 12:21 PM   #343
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Six of Trump's campaign staffers in quarantene after testing positive for Covid-19 . The Best People kicking off the rally right .

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/20/p...ers/index.html
I just saw that.

That is just amazing.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:14 PM   #344
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Trump: Tulsa has "crowds that are unbelievable. They've never seen anything like it."

One of his favorite stock phrases. It's remarkable how many times he falls back on that.

ETA: Trump just said that firing Berman had nothing to do with him and he's 'not involved' when he just fired him. Good lord.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 20th June 2020 at 01:16 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:15 PM   #345
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
I just saw that.

That is just amazing.
What is more amazing is that his brain dead supporters will not care.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:22 PM   #346
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Trump has fired Berman, Barr says

Quote:
(CNN)Attorney General Bill Barr said Saturday that President Donald Trump has fired Geoffrey Berman, the powerful US attorney for the Southern District of New York who has investigated a number of associates of the President.

"Because you have declared that you have no intention of resigning, I have asked the President to remove you as of today, and he has done so," Barr wrote in a letter to Berman. "By operation of law, the Deputy United States Attorney, Audrey Strauss, will become the Acting United States Attorney, and I anticipate that she will serve in that capacity until a permanent successor is in place."
But then, moments ago, CNN claimed that Trump denied any involvement.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:23 PM   #347
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
Trump has fired Berman, Barr says

But then, moments ago, CNN claimed that Trump denied any involvement.
CNN didn't claim it; Trump said it himself.
Old 20th June 2020, 01:24 PM   #348
shemp

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
OK, CNN claimed that Trump said it, same thing, stop nitpicking.
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:29 PM   #349
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

OK, CNN claimed that Trump said it, same thing, stop nitpicking.
Actually it's not the same thing. If CNN only claims something, then it can be debated whether it's true or not. But Trump being on video actually saying it cannot be debated by any rational person.
Old 20th June 2020, 01:31 PM   #350
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump has the authority. Barr doesn't. But Barr said the man was resigning. Which the man didn't. The head of the SDNY has said he will keep doing his job until another SDNY Chief has been nominated by the President and approved by Congress. All investigations will continue.
Think there might be some pushback on this one.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:31 PM   #351
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Barr: Betman has resigned
Berman: no I haven't
Barr: ok, the President fired him
President: no I haven't

Jeez, what will Barr's next lie be?
Old 20th June 2020, 01:33 PM   #352
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Is there anything other than sanity to prevent a president from launching nukes on a US city? I don’t think it will come to that. This is more of an academic thing.
Given the many judges who have come out recently against Trump using very damaging words and accusations, I think he's basically lost the higher brass. Maybe the lower ranks still like him but they don't make the big calls.

At least that's my hope.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:37 PM   #353
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Trump's just making good on his promise to Erodgan, but now liberals are trying to spin this as a bad thing.
What promises? How does Erodgan fit into domestic legal issues?

Never mind - already answered.

Last edited by SezMe; 20th June 2020 at 02:01 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 01:51 PM   #354
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

So is he sacked or not?
Has someone else been appointed?

This isn't like the two Popes thing is it?
Old 20th June 2020, 01:54 PM   #355
shemp

Actually it's not the same thing. If CNN only claims something, then it can be debated whether it's true or not. But Trump being on video actually saying it cannot be debated by any rational person.
Whatever
Old 20th June 2020, 02:17 PM   #356
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Whatever
What do you think you mean? Barr told Berman that Trump had fired him. But CNN screened video of Trump saying he didn't know anything about Berman and did not fire him. You don't think that's a problem?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:36 PM   #357
Belz...
Fiend God

It's remarkable how many times he falls back on that.
I think it's quite possible that he's suffering from early dementia and his brain automatically goes back to basic expressions when it's buggy.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:41 PM   #358
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
What do you think you mean? Barr told Berman that Trump had fired him. But CNN screened video of Trump saying he didn't know anything about Berman and did not fire him. You don't think that's a problem?
This thing is getting stranger and stranger. Barr is acting as if Berman is out and Berman is insisting he isn't going anywhere.

"I have not resigned, and have no intention of resigning, my position, to which I was appointed by the Judges of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. I will step down when a presidentially appointed nominee is confirmed by the Senate,"

Berman is arguing he was appointed by the judges because the Trump administration had failed to make an appointment and until a prosecutor has been nominated and approved by the Senate, Barr doesn't have the authority to tell him the direction to the bathroom.

Also, the Senate is not interested in a confirmation battle.

Last edited by acbytesla; 20th June 2020 at 02:42 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2020, 02:46 PM   #359
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Any protesters, anarchists, agitators, looters or lowlifes who are going to Oklahoma please understand, you will not be treated like you have been in New York, Seattle, or Minneapolis. It will be a much different scene!

“THE SILENT MAJORITY IS STRONGER THAN EVER BEFORE.”
Old 20th June 2020, 02:46 PM   #360
Lennart Hyland
Muse

Sorry for not being updated but why did Trump fire this Berman? Because of the Giuliani investigations?

Unfortunately the 911truth movement web site does not allow any opinions contrary to their own, or I would have presented my views. David Scott - CTBUH Chairman
Lennart Hyland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics