ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags transgender incidents , transgender issues , transgender rights

Old 26th June 2020, 02:18 PM   #561
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sports, bathrooms, pronouns. You don't build an identity and a movement around this.
I'm not in a particularly propitious position to say what the "T" in LGBT should be building their identity and movement around these days. When it comes to legally recognized civil rights, I thought Glenn v. Brumby was a decent start, and Bostock v. Clayton County was a reasonable step forward towards a fuller realization of sexual and gender equality. Once we get past the issue of employment discrimination, though, other particularized issues will be argued and resolved, one by one.

Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
That same conflict doesn't seem to exist between transmen and natal men.
Men aren't socially conditioned or biologically adapted (strike as necessary, or not, depending on your own worldview) to fear being impregnated by members of the opposite sex. The stakes just aren't the same, either way.

ETA: Some scholars call this asymmetry penis panic, FWIW.

Last edited by d4m10n; 26th June 2020 at 03:30 PM.
d4m10n is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2020, 07:28 PM   #562
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Do you really not see a difference between posting on one messageboard under a pseudonym and posting on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube under one's actual name?
There shouldn't be.

Anything I post as The Atheist is no different to things I post on Farcebook, LinkedIn or my own websites and blogs. I figure that if you don't have the 'nads to put your name to it, don't bother.
Old 27th June 2020, 06:47 PM   #563
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Are you sure? I think some of the posters who have been involved in these three threads do care about those cases, and would object to the person in that example being in the ladies locker room.
I don't think they would. I wouldn't. Emily's Cat has said she wouldn't. Rolfe has specifically said she doesn't. Is there anyone you had in mind who you think would object?
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:38 AM   #564
d4m10n
Philosopher

ICYMI

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1276837286437666817

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Old 29th June 2020, 12:45 PM   #565
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Sports, bathrooms, pronouns. You don't build an identity and a movement around this.
No, you don't. You build a movement around a will to power. Those are just the tools of the moment, they will be dropped and new ones picked up as needed.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 01:28 PM   #566
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
I don't think they would. I wouldn't. Emily's Cat has said she wouldn't. Rolfe has specifically said she doesn't. Is there anyone you had in mind who you think would object?
Correction: I don't care about bathroom usage, as there are stalls in the ladie's room so it's not all that important. I don't care much about dressing room sin clothing stores, although sometimes you get people popping out half-clothed who might be uncomfortable if there's a person that looks like a man there.

I do, however, care a bit more about locker rooms and shower rooms, where nudity is frequent, and women in general are likely to be uncomfortable if there's a person there who looks like a man or has a penis.

I care quite a bit when it comes to middle school and high school locker rooms and showers. I think that puts pretty much everyone in a bad spot, and I'm not keen on subjecting a moderately large number of female-bodied people to the discomfort caused by having a male-bodied person in their midst while they're naked. And you can call me hypocritical if you want, but I also think that sending a transboy who is still female-bodied into a high-school locker room full of male-bodied people is a bad idea too.

Anybody who can even reasonably be said to pass, I care a whole lot less. If it's not obvious that your body belongs to the opposite sex, then roll with it. Use whatever most people are going to assume you are. Just don't go waggling your penis or boobies around, or people are going to take note.

It reminds me of this time I went to the art store when I lived in NE. There was an employee who had half of his face tattooed with a really complex and colorful pattern. He got angry at us for looking at his face tattoo. My reaction was pretty much... Dude, it's your face. How do you expect me NOT to notice that it's tattooed? Same thing holds when it comes to transgender accomodations. If you stand out significantly from what basic expectations are going to be, don't get offended if people notice.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:45 PM   #567
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

And you can call me hypocritical if you want, but I also think that sending a transboy who is still female-bodied into a high-school locker room full of male-bodied people is a bad idea too.
My daughter's friend, who transitioned from a boy to girl when he was 16, was bullied to extremes by schoolboys in locker rooms.

This is why the only sensible answer is another whole set of changing rooms.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:11 PM   #568
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
My daughter's friend, who transitioned from a boy to girl when he was 16, was bullied to extremes by schoolboys in locker rooms.

This is why the only sensible answer is another whole set of changing rooms.
Bullied before transition, after transition, or both?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:32 PM   #569
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Bullied before transition, after transition, or both?
After. He transitioned during the school holidays and started a new school, but word gets around and they knew.
Old 29th June 2020, 08:30 PM   #570
d4m10n
Philosopher

After. He transitioned during the school holidays and started a new school, but word gets around and they knew.
What were the bully schoolboys doing in the locker room for girls?

Old 30th June 2020, 01:49 AM   #571
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by d4m10n View Post
What were the bully schoolboys doing in the locker room for girls?
He was using the boys' rooms after transitioning to a boy.
Old 30th June 2020, 01:57 AM   #572
Matthew Best
Philosopher

He transitioned both ways?
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 06:18 AM   #573
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

https://www.reddit.com/r/GenderCriti...out_denial_of/
Old 30th June 2020, 11:26 AM   #574
d4m10n
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I'm going to assume that "from a boy to a girl" was just typed in backwards.

Old 30th June 2020, 11:32 AM   #575
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Crikey, now I'll have to go back and check if I got something wrong somewhere.

For clarity:

Born a girl* and my daughter's best friend at primary, junior college and high school.

Transitioned to boy at age 15, at the end of 1st year of high school.

Went to different school, in different suburb, for the last two years of school. Was bullied there.

That was three years ago & he's now engaged to a woman, due to get married in September, I think. Not having honeymoon in Bali as planned.

*The only time they fell out for a brief period was at age 13 when the girl thought my daughter was trying to steal her boyfriend!
Old 30th June 2020, 02:14 PM   #576
Emily's Cat

Born a girl* and my daughter's best friend at primary, junior college and high school.

Did he start presenting as a boy at age 15? Or did he begin hormone therapy? I'm assuming that someone aged 15 did not surgically transition, I hope.
Old 30th June 2020, 02:41 PM   #577
Matthew Best
Philosopher

For clarity:

Yes, you did get something wrong. You said "My daughter's friend, who transitioned from a boy to girl when he was 16".
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 02:44 PM   #578
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

For clarity:

Went to different school, in different suburb, for the last two years of school. Was bullied there.

That was three years ago & he's now engaged to a woman, due to get married in September, I think. Not having honeymoon in Bali as planned.

*The only time they fell out for a brief period was at age 13 when the girl thought my daughter was trying to steal her boyfriend!

I don't want to pry too deeply, but I am interested in a few things, if you have knowledge and are willing to share. If I have understood you, we have a person with female genitalia in the boys' locker room in high school. I have said in the past that this is a very, very, bad idea. Based on your knowledge of the situation, would you agree?

Second, what was the nature of the bullying? Was it, "I don't want no girl watching my junk?" What I would expect would be a lot of "Don't you wish you had one of these?" Basically, still treating him as if he were a girl, demonstrating the difference between him and real boys, and probably some strong suggestions of demonstrations of the functionality of male sex organs.

Finally, you noted that people found out, even after he switched schools. Well, yes, they would, if he's using the boys' locker room. How could they not find out? Or has New Zealand gone the way of the US, where no one actually takes a shower anyway, or at the very least the one person not taking off his clothes, at least to underwear level, would stand out like neon sign?
Meadmaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 05:01 PM   #579
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Is the argument that autogynephelia exists or that all trans women are either autogynephiles or homosexuals?

Quote:
The short version is that there are two--and only two--kinds of MTF transsexual.
Yep. That's his claim. Saying that they exist is one thing, but claiming that all trans women fall into two and only two categories is a very strong claim to make and many trans women will tell you that they don't fit into either category. I see no objective way to test this other than asking these people how they feel. Just as there is no objective way to test for "gender dysphoria". It's just something that people claim to feel and you can either take them at their word, or not.

I think drag queens (many of whom do not identify as transgender; in fact many trans women would be offended if you suggested they are in drag) appear to be an example of a sort of autogynephelic phenomenon. But certainly many trans identified people reject it as an explanation for their own gender identity.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th June 2020, 05:08 PM   #580
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I don't want to pry too deeply, but I am interested in a few things, if you have knowledge and are willing to share. If I have understood you, we have a person with female genitalia in the boys' locker room in high school. I have said in the past that this is a very, very, bad idea. Based on your knowledge of the situation, would you agree?

Second, what was the nature of the bullying? Was it, "I don't want no girl watching my junk?" What I would expect would be a lot of "Don't you wish you had one of these?" Basically, still treating him as if he were a girl, demonstrating the difference between him and real boys, and probably some strong suggestions of demonstrations of the functionality of male sex organs.

Finally, you noted that people found out, even after he switched schools. Well, yes, they would, if he's using the boys' locker room. How could they not find out? Or has New Zealand gone the way of the US, where no one actually takes a shower anyway, or at the very least the one person not taking off his clothes, at least to underwear level, would stand out like neon sign?
I don't know about this particular situation, but I'm sure we've both been in enough men's locker rooms to know that the #1 unwritten rule is don't stare at other guy's junk. The "bullying" could be as simple as that. "Hey, there's chick who thinks she's a boy in here. I want to sneak a peak." Whispers, giggling, stuff like that seems almost inevitable in such a situation.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:59 PM   #581
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Did he start presenting as a boy at age 15? Or did he begin hormone therapy? I'm assuming that someone aged 15 did not surgically transition, I hope.
Began hormone therapy & had breast-removal surgery !18 months ago.

Yes, you did get something wrong. You said "My daughter's friend, who transitioned from a boy to girl when he was 16".
Yeah, sorry mate - I figured I'd done something like that. Force of habit, I think - FtM trans appear to be a lot less common than MtF.

Unquestionably.

I thought it was lucky he never got raped. May have been saved by that fate by being quite a tough character. He was very muscular and top school sports star as a girl, so had the physique to make boys think twice.

No chance he's ever going to suddenly dominate some blokes' sport, though!

Second, what was the nature of the bullying? Was it, "I don't want no girl watching my junk?"
None of those.

"Why are you different?" Why do you never take your shirt off?" "Are you queer?" and a lot of casual bumps and elbows.

Two things:

Very few NZ schools have showers for PE classes, so it's rare go beyond underpants.

Maori in NZ have a culture of not undressing in front of others, so Maori boys will generally wear underpants in the shower, so it's quite culturally normal to wear your pants in the shower, where they exist.
Old 1st July 2020, 03:11 AM   #582
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by shuttlt View Post
Woolyness is baked into reality. If one wants to classify things into categories there is going to be woolyness at the fringes. If I stretch a stool, is there are hard line before which it was unambiguously a stool and beyond which it becomes unambiguously a bench?

Do we? We've survived fine for thousands of years with wooly definitions. Somehow furniture shops survive despite there not being a hard internationally accepted demarcation between chairs and sofas.

Maybe sometimes, somewhere, at some time?

Maybe, somewhat... but the definitions and who counts as what in the edge cases will probably differ depending on the field. You are still going to have to deal with the possibility of edge cases.... Nature is wooly.

We've been using "man" and "woman" since long before we knew what a hormone, or a gamete, or a chromosome was. They are socially useful classifications. We may map them on to hormones, or gametes, or chromosomes for one purpose or another but that's because those scientific concepts map well to the colloquial meaning. All ways of classifying objects in the real world have a woolyness at the edges though. It's the nature of the world. That is true for scientific classifications just as much as it is for colloquial ones.

Take species if you want something scientific. Gallus gallus supposedly evolved into the modern chicken Gallus gallus domesticus. Surely you will have chickens that were clearly Gallus gallus, chickens that were Gallus gallus domesticus and chickens that are transitional forms. At the borders of these categories you are going to have ambiguous cases. Wooly ambiguity can't be avoided. That's not a reason to abandon objective categories though.
The whole point is that this isn't about being bigoted against trans people it is about being scientifically accurate to the biology so logically we should be rigorous with our biological definitions and let the hurt fee fees fall where they may. So Eunuchs are not men, people who have hysterectomies are not women and so on.

It is about the fundamental hypocrisy of many of the anti trans arguments. They don't want rigid biological definitions at all, but demand them when some trans person is involved not for any kind of consistency
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 03:21 AM   #583
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
The whole point is that this isn't about being bigoted against trans people it is about being scientifically accurate to the biology so logically we should be rigorous with our biological definitions and let the hurt fee fees fall where they may. So Eunuchs are not men, people who have hysterectomies are not women and so on.

It is about the fundamental hypocrisy of many of the anti trans arguments. They don't want rigid biological definitions at all, but demand them when some trans person is involved not for any kind of consistency
Who, apart from you, is saying this?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:11 AM   #584
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Who, apart from you, is saying this?
It is simple biology. Being able to sexually reproduce and fulfill the biological role of male or female is a great defendable definition. It puts it into clear biological terms and is easy to determine if someone is or is not male or female. It is a simple logical scientific definition.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 05:22 AM   #585
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

It is simple biology. Being able to sexually reproduce and fulfill the biological role of male or female is a great defendable definition. It puts it into clear biological terms and is easy to determine if someone is or is not male or female. It is a simple logical scientific definition.
So only you are saying this. Thank you.

What you have posted is ridiculous. I have no idea of the point you are trying, and failing, to make.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:07 AM   #586
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

What you have posted is ridiculous. I have no idea of the point you are trying, and failing, to make.
I think his point is a rather neat deconstruction of the TERF position.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 06:08 AM   #587
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
I think his point is a rather neat deconstruction of the TERF position.
Of course you do.....

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 1st July 2020, 08:44 AM   #588
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

And the TERF are arguing for some absolute definition of sex, well that is one that is nice and simple, because when they try to actually post a definition they can never come up with one that actually fits with how they classify people.

It just others a few more people than they intend to, but for that to be a problem othering people would have to be bad. So the discomfort in classifying people who have had a hysterectomy as other than full women is meant to be illustrative of the discomfort they should be feeling about classifying trans women as other than full women.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:54 PM   #589
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Why is it that anti-trans advocates are dead-set in defining men and women by strictly clinical, biological terms. Why do they deliberately elide the obvious ambiguity of gender?
Which anti-trans-activists are you referring to?

Why do we need the word "Woman" defined strictly by biological fact when the word "female" already communicates this?
Because for most of my lifer referring to an adult human female as "a female" was considered rude, inconsiderate, and downright offensive. Adult human females viewed the term as essentially reducing them to their reproductive capacity. It's the same term one uses to refer to livestock. For my whole life up until very recently, adult human females very strongly preferred to be referred to as "women", which we viewed as encompassing the entirety of our being, rather than just our sex.

Now, however, we're back to square one... and a small cohort of people born with penises are insisting that we should be referred to as "females" again, and that the word "women", which us female-bodied people actually prefer, must be expanded to include anyone who is male-bodied who wants to be called that.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Also, because it's a trap. Cue Star Wars memes.

It's a trap. Because if natal women use the term "women" to refer to themselves... then trans-activists will assume that transwomen are necessarily included in that conversation, even if it's irrelevant to people without natural vaginas and cervixes. And then, if natal women say "Hey, this isn't about transwomen"... they get called TERFs.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:57 PM   #590
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
So obvious that we've managed to miss them for thousands of yeard. I think "obvious", as usual, just means "it's my opinion".
There's a nuance that I think you're missing here. "Obvious" doesn't mean "it's my opinion". It actually seems to mean "It's my opinion and if you disagree with my opinion, it can only be because you're dumb or evil or both."
Old 1st July 2020, 12:58 PM   #591
Belz...
Fiend God

There's a nuance that I think you're missing here. "Obvious" doesn't mean "it's my opinion". It actually seems to mean "It's my opinion and if you disagree with my opinion, it can only be because you're dumb or evil or both."
Yes, sorry for posting only the condensed version!

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:02 PM   #592
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It's a trap. Because if natal women use the term "women" to refer to themselves... then trans-activists will assume that transwomen are necessarily included in that conversation, even if it's irrelevant to people without natural vaginas and cervixes. And then, if natal women say "Hey, this isn't about transwomen"... they get called TERFs.
Why not be specific then about people with vagina's and/or cervixes? That get to the exact grouping you want with out messing about with questions like "if a person is born without a vagina can that intersex person be considered a woman, or if a person has their cervix removed as part of a hysterectomy are they still a woman" Even with out trans women or trans men the maping of women and people with vaginas and cervixes are not perfect.

So saying people with vaginas and cervixes is both more precise and more inclusive than women.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:03 PM   #593
Emily's Cat

And yet also reject it because it creates to many others like a gelding is not a man. So any man who has lost his testicles is not a man and should not be called as such. Strict biology is not the realm of anti trans bigot, rather they like a more pseudo science perspective to support their existing position. They want he veneer of science with out the complexity.
It only seems to imply this in the irrational argumentation of dogmatic trans-activists. In the minds of reasonable trans-activists, like myself, it doesn't imply that at all.

A gelding is still a male horse, but it's not a stallion. A man who has lost his testicles is still a man. A woman who has lost her uterus is still a woman. This is critical thinking 101.

Some A are B
All B are A
No ~A are B

Some female people have gestate babies.
All people who gestate babies are female.
No people who are not female can gestate babies.

Not all baseball players are professional baseball players.
All professional baseball players are baseball players.
No non-baseball players are professional baseball players.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:09 PM   #594
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

It only seems to imply this in the irrational argumentation of dogmatic trans-activists. In the minds of reasonable trans-activists, like myself, it doesn't imply that at all.

A gelding is still a male horse, but it's not a stallion. A man who has lost his testicles is still a man. A woman who has lost her uterus is still a woman. This is critical thinking 101.
That is silly eunuchs were never considered men anymore than a steer is considered a bull.

The splitting of hairs you are doing is in differentiating man and male. Something that you then deny doing. A bit more internal consistency would be in order.

You do realize that you specifically defined woman in a way the excluded women who have had hysterectomies as it was synonymous with having a vagina and cervix? Clearly you do not view women who have had hysterectomies as fully woman as you exclude them from your own examples.

Last edited by ponderingturtle; 1st July 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:12 PM   #595
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Why is telling someone they are not a woman because they were born with a penis no big deal, but it so outrageous to suggest that someone is no longer a woman from a hysterectomy losing the very defining trait of womanhood? Shouldn't this denial of their identity be viewed much the same as either a serious affront to them or a minor nothing that is just reasonable semantics?
Old 1st July 2020, 01:16 PM   #596
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post

So obvious that we've managed to miss them for thousands of yeard. I think "obvious", as usual, just means "it's my opinion".
I'd argue that no one has missed anything for thousands of years. Many cultures have gender categories that acknowledge groupings beyond man and woman. People born with ambiguous genitalia have been surgically altered and/or had their parents raise them "as a boy" or "as a girl".

Culture has rigorously policed children and adults who had interests or ways of acting that didn't fit with gender norms.

No one missed the ambiguity of gender for thousands of years. Our societies have either been acknowledging or fighting against those ambiguities the whole time.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:21 PM   #597
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Cavemonster View Post
I'd argue that no one has missed anything for thousands of years. Many cultures have gender categories that acknowledge groupings beyond man and woman. People born with ambiguous genitalia have been surgically altered and/or had their parents raise them "as a boy" or "as a girl".
Now you're talking about sex, not gender.

Quote:
Culture has rigorously policed children and adults who had interests or ways of acting that didn't fit with gender norms.
Gender and gender norms aren't the same thing.

It's quite obvious at this point that "gender" doesn't really mean anything unless it's tied to another concept.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st July 2020, 01:53 PM   #598
Emily's Cat

The concept of the tomboy has existed forever.
Holy crap... am I... Am I a transman and just don't know it?
Old 1st July 2020, 02:00 PM   #599
Emily's Cat

What's the threshold percentage for minorities you decide don't matter? I'm curious, is it 80/20, 90/10, 95/5?

You seem to be basing your appeal to tradition pretty narrowly on Western civilizations that have taken a firm stance on the bipolarness of genders. You are aware that other civilizations did not share this idea of a firm divide between masculine and feminine, right? While Westerners where hacking, shocking, medicating, or murdering non-conforming people, other civilizations took a more nuanced approach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_...d_third_gender

It's quite clear that gender roles involve several aspects of the human experience of sexuality.
I've seen this argument before, and you're right. Other cultures are more accepting of people who don't nicely fit one of the two dominant gender boxes. This seems to frequently be brought up as an argument that gender isn't strictly binary, and to add weight to the argument that transwomen are women full stop.

I find it baffling that the support for insisting that male-bodied people be accepted into the category of women without question... is to provide examples of societies that do NOT accept them into the category of women, but instead, accept them as "neither man nor woman, but something else or something mixed".

Those cultures brought up to support the insistence that transwomen be accepted as every bit as much and as legitimate a woman as a natal woman don't share your view. They are accepting of transwomen as something else, and they're allowed to share a lot of the same cultural aspects that women do... but there's clear cultural acknowledgement that they're something else.
Old 1st July 2020, 02:07 PM   #600
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Arcade22 View Post
His mindset is no different from the people who insist that homosexuals are secretly all a bunch of mentally ill pedophiles, perverted criminals, and other types of degenerates who should not be socially accepted or given legal protection because doing so is tantamount to an attack on normal healthy relationships and society as a whole.

They are of course never homophobic.
Bit of a side-note, but related nonetheless...

Do you feel that it's homophobic for straight men to refuse to allow gay male strippers to dance at the local strip club?

Do you think it would be reasonable and appropriate for gay men to demand that playboy and hustler include spreads of naked men in their magazines, because some men are attracted to men, and porn mags are required to cater to all men?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events