ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th June 2020, 12:49 AM   #1
angrysoba
Philosophile

"So I hear you're a transphobe now!": Twitter closes Graham Linehan's account

Graham Linehan has had his Twitter account closed for "hateful" comments that furthered his view about trans issues.

Quote:
The Father Ted creator Graham Linehan has been permanently suspended from Twitter for breaching the site’s rules on banned words.

Twitter said the account, which uses the handle @glinner, had been suspended after “repeated violations of our rules against hateful conduct and platform manipulation”.

Linehan’s account was closed after he reportedly tweeted “men aren’t women tho” in response to a post by the Women’s Institute wishing their transgender members a happy Pride.

Following the suspension, a post credited to Linehan’s handle “Glinner” on the parenting website Mumsnet asked for support.
Link

I don't have too many views on this. I don't really care what Twitter do as I (almost) never use the platform.

There often seems to be a lot of argument about "freedom of speech" which I don't really think comes into it given that Twitter is a private company and can police itself as it wants as far as I care.

I suppose that there will be issues regarding Twitter's consistency, particularly given that certain people are allowed to stay on the platform.

There are also, apparently issues regarding Linehan's consistency as he apparently has shown support for bannings in the past, etc...

Oh, and for those who don't understand the title, it refers to an episode of Father Ted, that these days might actually get into trouble....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 01:11 AM   #2
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Much like the episode The Germans from Fawlty Towers, the clip from Father Ted pokes fun at racists, not at foreigners. Linehan doesn't seem to have poked fun at transphobia, on the contrary.
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 01:21 AM   #3
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

I've never heard of him. Probably a minor point, but the article you quoted lacks clarity as to why he was suspended. At first it says he was "suspended from Twitter for breaching the site’s rules on banned words." Then later it quotes Twitter as saying he was suspended after “repeated violations of our rules against hateful conduct and platform manipulation”.

Those are two rather different things, although obviously a lot of overlap could exist between them. I'm curious though, because the mention of using banned words makes me wonder why the only statement of his they quoted was "men aren't women tho".
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 01:32 AM   #4
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

He called people "groomers" and then Twitter added that to its list of banned words and then the trans rights crybullies went on a reporting spree reporting his old tweets posted before the rule change and twitter banned him. One of the people involved in the reporting has a conviction for child abuse and tweets some pretty horrible things but he's still on there.

Mostly it was tweets simply reading "OK groomer" I think. A play on "OK boomer".

Last edited by Rolfe; 29th June 2020 at 01:33 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:36 AM   #5
Doghouse Reilly

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
He called people "groomers" and then Twitter added that to its list of banned words and then the trans rights crybullies went on a reporting spree reporting his old tweets posted before the rule change and twitter banned him. One of the people involved in the reporting has a conviction for child abuse and tweets some pretty horrible things but he's still on there.

Mostly it was tweets simply reading "OK groomer" I think. A play on "OK boomer".
It seems rather unfair to apply the rule retroactively like that. Is that standard Twitter policy?
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:07 AM   #6
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

If they don't like the person, yes. Twitter has banned countless feminists and gender-critical accounts for the most minor infringements or even for nothing at all. They hide behind generalities and some people have reported not being able to find out the reason for a ban at all.

Twitter is run by a group of people who include the wokest of the woke. Others have documented this. Fellow-travellers have virtual carte blanche to say what they like and if suspended they return in a day or two. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to the TWAW dogma is in danger of being banned at any time. Trans activists openly discuss on Twitter itself who they've succeeded in banning and suggest and gather support for reporting campaigns against their next victim. Groups of them with multiple accounts then trawl the victim's old tweets for something that can be represented as "hate speech" (in one case it was a quote from Hansard), urge each other to report selected tweets en masse, and hey presto, another ban.

Last edited by Rolfe; 29th June 2020 at 03:10 AM.
Rolfe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:15 AM   #7
Doghouse Reilly

If they don't like the person, yes. Twitter has banned countless feminists and gender-critical accounts for the most minor infringements or even for nothing at all. They hide behind generalities and some people have reported not being able to find out the reason for a ban at all.

Twitter is run by a group of people who include the wokest of the woke. Others have documented this. Fellow-travellers have virtual carte blanche to say what they like and if suspended they return in a day or two. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to the TWAW dogma is in danger of being banned at any time. Trans activists openly discuss on Twitter itself who they've succeeded in banning and suggest and gather support for reporting campaigns against their next victim. Groups of them with multiple accounts then trawl the victim's old tweets for something that can be represented as "hate speech" (in one case it was a quote from Hansard), urge each other to report selected tweets en masse, and hey presto, another ban.
That's all rather perturbing. Is your belief that this is the case because of a staunch ideological bias on the part of Twitter's owners? Or is management ruling the roost without direction from above?
Old 29th June 2020, 03:31 AM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I posted before about my mother-in-law, who I loved dearly, in her 90s saying that in many ways she was glad she wasn’t going to live much longer because of the direction society was heading. When I see things like this thread, I completely understand her feeling.

Twitter is a disgrace. They allow Trump to post dangerous drivel, and ban Linehan.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:05 AM   #9
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I posted before about my mother-in-law, who I loved dearly, in her 90s saying that in many ways she was glad she wasn’t going to live much longer because of the direction society was heading. When I see things like this thread, I completely understand her feeling.

Twitter is a disgrace. They allow Trump to post dangerous drivel, and ban Linehan.
Exactly, when old people start complaining about modern society, a thing unprecedented in recorded history, you know things are going badly wrong!
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:29 AM   #10
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

It's often hard to know exactly what caused a ban, Twitter isn't very open about their moderating decisions and usually only give general statements. That said, Twitter seems to be pretty clear that it doesn't tolerate transphobic bigotry on their platform.

Reporting seems to suggest that the ban-worthy tweet was his "men aren't women" tweet, which was an unprovoked ****-stirring response to an innocuous comment wishing trans-people a happy pride day. Given the history of Glinner and other trans-phobes insisting on ignoring trans-people's preferred names and pronouns, I'm not shocked at all. By Glinner's own admission he's been suspended and forced to delete tweets to regain access in the past. He's a repeat pest that finally got the axe after numerous occasions to correct his behavior.

Nothing of value was lost. Maybe he can try Gab out, the fash don't mind a little trans-bashing.

From the article in the OP:

Originally Posted by Glinner on Mumsnet
“I’ve submitted an appeal with Twitter and the Better Business Bureau but I thought I’d post here too so people knew what was going on.”
Crying hard on mumsnet and thinking that the BBB is going to do anything. Laughably pathetic.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th June 2020 at 04:35 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:34 AM   #11
Garb
Muse

Good riddance.

But I blew up the apartment. Only way to be safe.
-kookbreaker
Garb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:24 AM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post
Exactly, when old people start complaining about modern society, a thing unprecedented in recorded history, you know things are going badly wrong!
Er, yeah......

Any comment on the banning of Linehan?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:26 AM   #13
mumblethrax
Species traitor

Quote:
I’ve submitted an appeal with Twitter and the Better Business Bureau but I thought I’d post here too so people knew what was going on.
He's still got it.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:28 AM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Garb View Post
Good riddance.
Yes. Let's get rid of anyone you disagree with. That's the way to foster open communication......

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th June 2020, 05:29 AM   #15
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Yes. Let's get rid of anyone you disagree with. That's the way to foster open communication......
Yeah, getting rid of trolls makes Twitter a more enjoyable platform. Twitter never claimed to be a free-speech free-for-all zone.

Funny how places that have extremely permissive moderation rules quickly turn into extremist, right-wing hellscapes that are unappealing to the mass crowd. Twitter isn't interested in becoming like Gab or 4chan, I suspect.

Glinner took one too many dumps on Twitter's living room floor and has been shown the door. Big loss, I'm sure.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th June 2020 at 05:32 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:44 AM   #16
Matthew Best
Philosopher

I managed to be on Twitter for years and never saw a single post by him. I guess the living room must be huge if I didn't notice a dump being taken on its floor.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:50 AM   #17
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
I managed to be on Twitter for years and never saw a single post by him. I guess the living room must be huge if I didn't notice a dump being taken on its floor.
I don't think he has much sway outside of TERF twitter. I've never encountered him on twiter, though I knew the name and the reputation. I don't think you'd see him unless you delved into the gender war cesspits of the platform, or if you became a target of harassment by these weird trolls for some reason.

I actually like Twitter because of how individually catered your feed is based on who you follow. You don't have to wade through the trash unless you want to.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 29th June 2020 at 05:53 AM.
Old 29th June 2020, 05:58 AM   #18
caveman1917
Philosopher

Here is what Lineham himself has to say about it.
"Let us therefore trust the eternal Spirit which destroys and annihilates only because it is the unfathomable and eternal source of all life. The passion for destruction is a creative passion, too!" - Mikhail Bakunin
caveman1917 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:02 AM   #19
Joe Random
Master Poster

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Yeah, getting rid of trolls makes Twitter a more enjoyable platform. <...>

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
<...>I actually like Twitter because of how individually catered your feed is based on who you follow. You don't have to wade through the trash unless you want to.

Hrmmm ...
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:11 AM   #20
trustbutverify
Philosopher

Look how long it took them to get rid of Alex Jones and Farrakhan. Those two should have been no brainers.

Wollen owns the stage
trustbutverify is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:14 AM   #21
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

As much as I hate to bring that bastard into every thread, there's a really notable example of a person who is definitely not "woke" or anything close to it, who is Twitter's most famous user. I think his example makes nonsense of your martyrdom complex here.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:19 AM   #22
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

The funny part is what each generation chooses to complain about once they get old, and their total lack of self-awareness when they do it.

My great-grandfather complained about the Jews and Catholics.

My grandfather married a Catholic and thought anti-Semitism was idiotic. But he complained of "the blacks".

My mother thinks racism is idiotic. But she complains of the gays.

I just wonder which group I'll be stupidly complaining of when I get old. I'm only in my forties so there's still time for AI to be invented, then perhaps I'll be muttering about robots in my old age. "OMG, you said 'robots'?! That's a slur! It's 'androids'! I'm SO embarrassed by you, Uncle Monkey!"

Last edited by TragicMonkey; 29th June 2020 at 06:21 AM.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:27 AM   #23
Arcade22
Philosopher

It's not what he said, it's who he said it to and why. Apparently even "groomers" can behave themselves while this guy can't even-though he has been sanctioned for it in the past.

And no, Cuba is not a brutal and corrupt dictatorship, and it's definitely less so than Sweden. - dann
Arcade22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:28 AM   #24
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
As much as I hate to bring that bastard into every thread, there's a really notable example of a person who is definitely not "woke" or anything close to it, who is Twitter's most famous user. I think his example makes nonsense of your martyrdom complex here.
Please explain why Trump gets a pass and Linehan doesn’t.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th June 2020, 06:30 AM   #25
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

I think he's a special case, banning him would be very tricky. However the general point is true. Katie Hopkins was churning out bile on twitter until last week, David Vance and Gemma O'Doherty (probably unknown outside Ireland, but a pair of racist, homophobic Trump fans) are still going strong. The idea that twitter is some hot bed of lefty wokedom is a bit silly.

I think Graham should post here, his bleating on Mumsnet about why he was banned from Twitter would fit right in in forum management feedback.
Guybrush Threepwood is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:31 AM   #26
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Trump is President of the USA. Linehan is a has-been sitcom writer.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:32 AM   #27
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I think he's a special case, banning him would be very tricky. However the general point is true. Katie Hopkins was churning out bile on twitter until last week, David Vance and Gemma O'Doherty (probably unknown outside Ireland, but a pair of racist, homophobic Trump fans) are still going strong. The idea that twitter is some hot bed of lefty wokedom is a bit silly.

I think Graham should post here, his bleating on Mumsnet about why he was banned from Twitter would fit right in in forum management feedback.
Okay, so why was Linehan banned? And please don’t say he disobeyed his membership agreement.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th June 2020, 06:33 AM   #28
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Trump is President of the USA. Linehan is a has-been sitcom writer.
Thank you for proving my point.

Twitter is a joke.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th June 2020, 06:38 AM   #29
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Because Twitter isn't run by a cabal of "woke" persons deadset on persecuting everyone they disagree with.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:42 AM   #30
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Because Twitter isn't run by a cabal of "woke" persons deadset on persecuting everyone they disagree with.
Never mind. Having a dissenting opinion on threads like this is pointless....

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 29th June 2020 at 06:43 AM.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:44 AM   #31
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

So why, in your own words, was a Linehan banned?
Gosh, I didn't realize that one had to know the cause of something before one could determine what wasn't the cause. We don't know where dark matter is hiding, so I guess the cause of that is possibly Katy Perry's witchcraft alliance with a flamingo demon. You can't prove me wrong until you come up with the correct answer!

eta: Ha, you realized how silly that was, didn't you, and changed it!
Old 29th June 2020, 06:50 AM   #32
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Okay, so why was Linehan banned? And please don’t say he disobeyed his membership agreement.
This is what Graham said
Originally Posted by Graham Linehan on Mumsnet
Recently, I keep being locked out of my account and forced to delete tweets to get back in. The latest tactic by trans rights activists is to run a search for any time I've used the word 'groomer', a phrase Twitter recently decided was Not Allowed.

This was not a violation of Twitter's ToS at the time I used the phrase, and I have been careful to avoid it since. I still use the word 'grooming' in various permutations because I believe that gender ideology is a form of societal grooming.
I have no more access to Twitter's decision making process than he does, but I suspect his interpretation of using 'grooming' but totally not saying 'groomer' differed significantly from Twitter's interpretation.

If you post anywhere on line, and the owner of where you post says 'Please stop posting that' and you continue posting it, whatever 'it' is you will probably get banned.
Old 29th June 2020, 06:52 AM   #33
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Mumsnet - Prosecco Stormfront.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:53 AM   #34
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Gosh, I didn't realize that one had to know the cause of something before one could determine what wasn't the cause. We don't know where dark matter is hiding, so I guess the cause of that is possibly Katy Perry's witchcraft alliance with a flamingo demon. You can't prove me wrong until you come up with the correct answer!

eta: Ha, you realized how silly that was, didn't you, and changed it!
No, not silly. Pointless in the prevailing hive mind of this forum. Where long standing and brilliant members like Rolfe and others are dismissed for not toeing the line.

Twitter is a joke and much of this forum is becoming so. Expressing views expressing concern or discomfort about transgender issues are jumped on from a great height. Sadly, you have become one of the ringleaders in this.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 29th June 2020, 07:01 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

No, not silly. Pointless in the prevailing hive mind of this forum. Where long standing and brilliant members like Rolfe and others are dismissed for not toeing the line.
Mmmm hmmm. Twitter and ISF are cruelly persecuting your free speech. Except that, traditionally, in order to be a martyr you actually have to undergo the martyrdom. I don't see your posts and threads being deleted. On the contrary, the thread you allude to is huge and growing. You can hardly claim you're being silenced if your remarks take up three whole threads to date.

Quote:
Twitter is a joke and much of this forum is becoming so. Expressing views expressing concern or discomfort about transgender issues are jumped on from a great height. Sadly, you have become one of the ringleaders in this.
Really? You think people follow me? Browsing that thread I seem to be in a very small minority, with more people disagreeing with me than agreeing. Perhaps you place too much importance on me because I am a stylish celebrity. I do not wield influence and power proportionate to my personal charm, though.

My own theory is that people who espouse what they deep down know to be an untenable position seek refuge in a persecution complex. That way they have an external excuse for why they can't make headway, and subconsciously assuage their guilt for holding an unpleasant viewpoint with the hope they won't actually succeed in what they think they want to accomplish. But of course that's just my own personal speculation.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:03 AM   #36
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Trolling on twitter by making hateful remarks isn't "expressing concern or discomfort". Linehan wanted to be a dick, and he got punished for it.

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:10 AM   #37
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Yet Twitter banned (and has since re-instated) an account that merely copied what Trump wrote
Manger Douse is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:11 AM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
Yet Twitter banned (and has since re-instated) an account that merely copied what Trump wrote
Which again demonstrates they're not a cabal of "woke" people out to persecute dissenters.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:17 AM   #39
Manger Douse
Critical Thinker

Which again demonstrates they're not a cabal of "woke" people out to persecute dissenters.
You're the one who brought up Trumps tweets to make the claim that Twitter isn't run be a cabal of the woke - do you accept that Trump is a special case now?
Manger Douse is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:36 AM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Manger Douse View Post
You're the one who brought up Trumps tweets to make the claim that Twitter isn't run be a cabal of the woke - do you accept that Trump is a special case now?
No. As was pointed out above there are plenty of others Tweeting things such a cabal would be suppressing if they existed. Even in your own example, they allow another account to post exactly what Trump does--if he were the one very special exemption to their "woke" crusade they'd have kept the duplicate banned.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events