ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 29th June 2020, 02:25 PM   #1
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Two fired after Ohio couple receives "swastika" pizza

This couple had ordered a takeout pizza from a Cleveland area Little Caesar's. When they got home, they discovered the pepperoni had been arranged into the shape of a swastika.

Quote:
“I was like they didn’t cut our pizza, but then I stepped back for a second and I saw the symbol. And I looked at him and I was like ‘Hold on, did you have to order fresh pizza or something?'” Misty Laska said.

The Laskas did not eat the pizza, instead they saved it for proof. They immediately called the shop, which had closed just minutes earlier. They received a call from the local owner and the Little Caesars corporate office on Sunday.
The couple is white, and there doesn't seem to be any other particular reason they might have been specifically targeted. According to the pizza shop manager, the two employees who made the pizza did so as some kind of inside joke and that particular pizza was never meant to be served to any customers. Nevertheless, the employees were both fired.

I saw this story when it was first reported early yesterday. Predictably, the story was met with claims by racist-apologists that the couple had "faked"/created the swastika pizza themselves, citing "evidence" such as the fact that the pizza was not cut. Those early reports did not include the information that the pizza shop employees who were fired had admitted to making it.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:29 PM   #2
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
This couple had ordered a takeout pizza from a Cleveland area Little Caesar's. When they got home, they discovered the pepperoni had been arranged into the shape of a swastika.

The couple is white, and there doesn't seem to be any other particular reason they might have been specifically targeted. According to the pizza shop manager, the two employees who made the pizza did so as some kind of inside joke and that particular pizza was never meant to be served to any customers. Nevertheless, the employees were both fired.

I saw this story when it was first reported early yesterday. Predictably, the story was met with claims by racist-apologists that the couple had "faked"/created the swastika pizza themselves, citing "evidence" such as the fact that the pizza was not cut. Those early reports did not include the information that the pizza shop employees who were fired had admitted to making it.
Dismissed for cause.

That should be the end of the story (but it won't be).
Old 29th June 2020, 02:41 PM   #3
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I don't mind saying that the story still sounds just a tad goofy. Consider this:

Quote:
The Laskas visit that Little Caesars often because it is so close to their home, but after Saturday’s incident, they will never go there or any other Little Caesar’s location again.

“It’s unacceptable and in our minds, we are just never going to go back there,” Jason said.

“We are the type of people that support the diversity in our country, we embrace and love it. We just want to see this hate stop,” Misty said.
It sounds to me like a couple of jerkwad kids pulling a prank. They both got fired, so I fail to see why the couple are boycotting Little Caesars other than the obvious; that they are frantically waving their virtue flag.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 02:55 PM   #4
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I fail to see why the couple are boycotting Little Caesars
Have you had their pizza?
Old 29th June 2020, 02:58 PM   #5
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Actually the fact that the pizza wasn't cut lends the story more verisimilitude, IMO.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:05 PM   #6
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I don't mind saying that the story still sounds just a tad goofy. Consider this:

It sounds to me like a couple of jerkwad kids pulling a prank. They both got fired, so I fail to see why the couple are boycotting Little Caesars other than the obvious; that they are frantically waving their virtue flag.
That does seem unduly harsh considering that I think Little Caesar's is a franchise. As to boycotting the specific location that might depend on information we don't have, such as that the practice had been going on for some time and tolerated, or that the presumed jerkwad kids were not alone in their sentiments, etc. That said, it seems more likely to be an isolated incident, and as such, a tenuous reason to boycott the one, and a silly reason to boycott them all.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 03:36 PM   #7
angrysoba
Philosophile

Lol! I feel a bit sorry for the kids who did this. It’s the type of thing I might have done when I was a certain age and the type of mix-up that is all too likely to happen, “wait, why have we got the shrimp and mayonnaise pizza? Oh ****, the one with the pepperoni shaped like two boobs with a cock going through the middle is the one you sent to Mother Superior at the convent school! Dude, we are so going to get fired for this...”
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:18 PM   #8
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

The only time I ever ordered Little Caesar's pizza, I spent two days puking. That's enough reason for me!
"[shemp is] a most notable coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality." - Shakespeare
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:25 PM   #9
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Lol! I feel a bit sorry for the kids who did this. It’s the type of thing I might have done when I was a certain age and the type of mix-up that is all too likely to happen, “wait, why have we got the shrimp and mayonnaise pizza? Oh ****, the one with the pepperoni shaped like two boobs with a cock going through the middle is the one you sent to Mother Superior at the convent school! Dude, we are so going to get fired for this...”
I don't. This is definitely an "old enough to know better" scenario in my book. What pizza parlor needs employees who cannot master the basic life skill of "don't send out stupid pizzas"?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:37 PM   #10
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I don't. This is definitely an "old enough to know better" scenario in my book. What pizza parlor needs employees who cannot master the basic life skill of "don't send out stupid pizzas"?
Oh completely! There’s no question that they have to get fired for being so dumb. Still, even being old enough to know better doesn’t mean that say college-ages kids will not do stupid things. I did much worse at that age too.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 04:54 PM   #11
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

I don't mind saying that the story still sounds just a tad goofy.
The store took appropriate corrective action, but that doesn't mean those customers owe them a second chance at their business. At least the next few visits are bound to be awkward, and who's to say the "internal joke-making" involving swastikas at that location is limited to only those two employees? There's now a chance that can't be completely mitigated that coworkers of the fired employees who don't feel their friends should have been treated so harshly for "just a silly prank" might do something bad but less-easily-detectable to this family's future orders. Meanwhile, there's certainly no shortage of other pizza shops, or even chains for that matter, in Cleveland that these two have not had a bad experience with. Why take the chance?
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:02 PM   #12
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Actually the fact that the pizza wasn't cut lends the story more verisimilitude, IMO.
Even if that story is true, what could be the reason for making a swastika pizza? Were they going to their KKK meeting after work? Or do they just not understand what a swastika symbolizes? Why did they think this was a good idea?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:14 PM   #13
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Even if that story is true, what could be the reason for making a swastika pizza? Were they going to their KKK meeting after work? Or do they just not understand what a swastika symbolizes? Why did they think this was a good idea?
Maybe it is like Cards Against Hunanity style humour. “Woo hoo, I’m so edgy! Look at the swastika I put on this pi....D’oh! I sent out the wrong one!”

“Dude, did you just say Pedo in a pizza restaurant?”

Old 29th June 2020, 05:24 PM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The couple deserved what they got for ordering Little Caesar PIzza in the first place.
There are a number of brands of Frozen PIzza that are better then Little Caesar's.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 05:40 PM   #15
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Beats me. What's your theory?
Old 29th June 2020, 05:53 PM   #16
angrysoba
Philosophile

Because it’s so much fun, Jan!

Old 29th June 2020, 06:00 PM   #17
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Did they order a side of garlic knotsies?
Old 29th June 2020, 06:09 PM   #18
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I agree with the prestige on this one. They're well old enough to know that a swastika is unacceptable, and whatever reason they had for it hardy matters if there's no good one.

I also agree with Dudalb and others that Little Caesar's pizza is pretty near the bottom of the barrel. Not that it's inedible. I've had a few when hungry for quick and cheap, because they used to have some super bargains and the stuff reheated pretty well and there was a short period years ago when my kids would eat it without bickering too much. But you've got to be pretty desperate or in a hurry or catering to the whims of a kid to get either that or that greasy hut stuff.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:26 PM   #19
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

The store took appropriate corrective action, but that doesn't mean those customers owe them a second chance at their business. At least the next few visits are bound to be awkward, and who's to say the "internal joke-making" involving swastikas at that location is limited to only those two employees? There's now a chance that can't be completely mitigated that coworkers of the fired employees who don't feel their friends should have been treated so harshly for "just a silly prank" might do something bad but less-easily-detectable to this family's future orders. Meanwhile, there's certainly no shortage of other pizza shops, or even chains for that matter, in Cleveland that these two have not had a bad experience with. Why take the chance?
Totally. I don't get the "every business deserves a second chance" crowd. If I decide somebody's crossed the wrong line, that's the end unless it's literally my only option for something I want/need badly. While I might not apply that to a large restaurant chain, there's certainly no shortage of those, and if there's a Little Caesars you can bet there are at least two other pizza chains in the area, and probably a better non-chain option to boot.
Babbylonian is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:39 PM   #20
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Har har, that pizza got a swastika, dude!

LOL.

What the heck. Just eat the damn thing. It's a Little Caesar's pepperoni pizza, that's all. It's better than starving but only just, I guess. And what's to get bothered about next? Not drinking the complementary 26oz Coke because it's black?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 06:46 PM   #21
Doghouse Reilly
Adrift on an uncharted sea

Originally Posted by sir drinks-a-lot View Post
Point well made. The quality of the pizza there is reason enough for a boycott.
Doghouse Reilly is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:36 PM   #22
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

Shrug

I like Little Caesar's pizza.

But that's not important.

The company was right to fire the morons. If they wanted to do more, they should have offered the customers a 5 year supply of pizza for free.

And the customers are fine to turn it down and never go back.
Old 29th June 2020, 07:41 PM   #23
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

What I still don't get is why stories like this become national news. The employee's actions were fireable offenses, and they were rightly fired for it. But why the hell does anyone other than the customer and the manager need to hear about this? Why the **** does the world need to know? There's no indication that this is a systematic problem at Little Ceasars. Management appears to have responded appropriately. So it should have ended there.

We are living in the dumbest timeline.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th June 2020, 07:52 PM   #24
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
What I still don't get is why stories like this become national news. The employee's actions were fireable offenses, and they were rightly fired for it. But why the hell does anyone other than the customer and the manager need to hear about this? Why the **** does the world need to know? There's no indication that this is a systematic problem at Little Ceasars. Management appears to have responded appropriately. So it should have ended there.

We are living in the dumbest timeline.
Sometimes "news" is things that are interesting, not important. Getting a pizza with a swastika on is interesting because it could happen, apparently, to anybody. If you found a swastika on a pizza you ordered, would you think it interesting? Or would you shrug it off as yet another boring non-event in your ordinary day?

And I don't think people who can't spell "Caesar" should be casting the word "dumb" around, just sayin'.
Old 29th June 2020, 09:42 PM   #25
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Sometimes "news" is things that are interesting, not important. Getting a pizza with a swastika on is interesting because it could happen, apparently, to anybody. If you found a swastika on a pizza you ordered, would you think it interesting? Or would you shrug it off as yet another boring non-event in your ordinary day?
Yes, it would be interesting to me if it happened to me. It's not interesting to me that it happened somewhere in the world to somebody I don't know, and I wouldn't expect strangers find it interesting that it happened to me. Just like I'd feel lucky if I won the lottery, but it's unremarkable that someone I've never heard of did.

Quote:
And I don't think people who can't spell "Caesar" should be casting the word "dumb" around, just sayin'.
Why, are you offended on behalf of this timeline?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 05:04 AM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Yes, it would be interesting to me if it happened to me. It's not interesting to me that it happened somewhere in the world to somebody I don't know, and I wouldn't expect strangers find it interesting that it happened to me. Just like I'd feel lucky if I won the lottery, but it's unremarkable that someone I've never heard of did.
Uh huh. You know you aren't required to read the news, or every thread. Especially if the item doesn't interest you.

Quote:
Why, are you offended on behalf of this timeline?
Not offended, no. Amused at the irony of someone who calls others dumb but makes a simple error himself. Glass houses.
Old 30th June 2020, 05:10 AM   #27
SuburbanTurkey
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
The couple deserved what they got for ordering Little Caesar PIzza in the first place.
There are a number of brands of Frozen PIzza that are better then Little Caesar's.
When I was in college, Little Caesars was one of the few take-out places in the small downtown area open at 2am when the bars closed. Since there were so many people ordering, the pizzas were always fresh right out of the oven, and were actually not bad for $5.

During the day the pizzas were noticeably worse, because of sobriety and the fact that the pizzas had been sitting in the warming oven waiting for a customer.

For $5, it was a pretty decent value, but still pretty terrible.
Old 30th June 2020, 07:28 AM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, "Nazi" and "pizza" both have the same glottal-stop hard "z" sound.
I'm just sayin'.
Old 30th June 2020, 07:30 AM   #29
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I know Little Caesars used to have two pizzas in each order (hence the "Pizza! Pizza!" slogan). I take it they're back to single-order pizzas now?
Old 30th June 2020, 07:31 AM   #30
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, "Nazi" and "pizza" both have the same glottal-stop hard "z" sound.
I'm just sayin'.
Another similarity between a Nazi and a pizza: they're both best cut into eight pieces!
Old 30th June 2020, 09:11 AM   #31
gypsyjackson
Muse

I wanted to look at their menu, but I can’t as I’m not in the States and the website isn’t working properly. However I could see that they have a category of pizza called Extramostbestest. *****.
gypsyjackson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 09:26 AM   #32
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gypsyjackson View Post
I wanted to look at their menu, but I can’t as I’m not in the States and the website isn’t working properly. However I could see that they have a category of pizza called Extramostbestest. *****.
Mmmm, yummy. It sounds doubleplusgood!

Old 30th June 2020, 10:25 AM   #33
Beerina
Sarcastic Conqueror of Notions

The most offensive thing about the pepperoni is that it's called pepperoni, when it's a watered down, Americanized fraud.

It's hard to find a pizza place with spicy pepperoni, and when you do, it's just an option, with the normal frauduloni still the standard.

The government should nationalize it! Socialized, single-payer video game development and sales now! More, cheaper, better games, right? Right?

Last edited by Beerina; 30th June 2020 at 10:27 AM.
Beerina is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 10:34 AM   #34
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

It's was just the pepperoni - I was hoping it was the actual pizza, they would be skills an employer should encourage!
Old 30th June 2020, 10:44 AM   #35
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
It's was just the pepperoni - I was hoping it was the actual pizza, they would be skills an employer should encourage!
I always feel that pizza doesn't cook properly if it's not round. Every rectangular pizza I've had has seemed off. I would expect a swastika-shaped pizza to cook terribly unevenly.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:06 AM   #36
deadrose
Illuminator

And if you want to be completely picayune, it's not a swastika on there, it's a suvastika. It's pointing the wrong way for the Nazi version.
deadrose is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 11:12 AM   #37
Shepherd
Critical Thinker

So, has anyone else noticed that the swastika on the pizza shown in the news photos wasn't a right facing one like used by the Nazis but rather a left facing version apparently sometimes referred to as a "sauwastika" and which of course has other historical associations and connotations?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauwastika

...lol

I'd like to believe, then, that this was some sort of intentional test of people's skepticism to help show just how incredibly ignorant people can be and how quick they are to jump to conclusions based upon their personal beliefs, fears, prejudices and biases, but unfortunately I doubt that this is the case.

If there were any skeptics here, however, maybe they could still use this as some sort of lesson anyway.

If this information about the incident is something you were ignorant of before, then, will you now use it to reevaluate your beliefs about the individuals involved or will you find a way to double down as you cling to what you may want to believe about likely total strangers?

"These pathetic modern racist Nazis are even too stupid to get their own symbol right! It's a good thing we already knew what sort of vile racist message these Nazi pizza makers were trying to send! Some mistakenly sent out internal joke amongst the employees, my ass!" ...haha

ETA: I see someone else did notice.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th June 2020, 11:27 AM   #38
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah, because Occam's Razor suggests it's more likely to be a pair of pizza parlor employees conducting a sociological experiment on esoteric religious symbology than a pair of idiots goofing off who made a mistake.

If you buy that one, then I was in that bank vault to assess humidity's effects on paper, not stealing that wad of cash I was stuffing down my pants.
Old 30th June 2020, 11:55 AM   #39
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
If you found a swastika on a pizza you ordered, would you think it interesting? Or would you shrug it off as yet another boring non-event in your ordinary day?
Me? I would probably call the manager and say, "Oi! What's this ****?"

But I doubt that I could be bothered waiting for them to make me another pizza and I certainly wouldn't make a big stink in the media about it (unless the management abused me for complaining).
Old 30th June 2020, 12:20 PM   #40
CORed
Philosopher

I have but not in the last 10 years or so. I don't know if they still do the 2 for $5 thing, but I used to get them and they were just about what you would expect for such a low price. There were usually spots of bare crust on them, because they were that stingy with both sauce and cheese. I'd rather pay more and get real pizza rather than a pizza crust with not even enough sauce or cheese to fully cover it.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events