ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , church scandals , George Pell , roman catholic church , sex scandals

Reply
Old 16th October 2017, 12:06 AM   #441
HansMustermann
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,131
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
After that utterly, ridiculous opening sentence, it's called:

Well, good to know that more than one sentence is still too much for you to parse
__________________
Which part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
HansMustermann is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 03:27 AM   #442
Dabop
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 950
I dont know where the big dog is getting his info, but the ABC (a highly respected media service here) is not the only one covering the trials, the 3 commercial tv broadcasters are as is SBS

And none of them have anything to do with the Royal Commission apart from being allowed to provide media coverage of parts of it. The Royal Commission is the highest level of government criminal investigation, and it has almost 100% public support (the only ones unhappy with it are strangely enough the ones being investigated for the commission of criminal activities)

Cardinal Pell has (afaik) not been accused of any pedophilia activities himself, what he (and others) are under investigation for is the covering up of criminal activities, the payments made by the church to victims (although of questionable moral value) arent the major focus, the focus is the lack of reporting of crimes against children which should have happened and didnt, and the result was in many cases further abuse, that the church knew was happening on an ongoing basis but covered it up rather than allowing its name to be brought into disrepute.

The sad part of course is that now its even more public and its actions even more shameful than if they had simply done the right thing in the first place, but then coverups always end up doing that
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 03:58 AM   #443
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
I dont know where the big dog is getting his info, but the ABC (a highly respected media service here) is not the only one covering the trials, the 3 commercial tv broadcasters are as is SBS

And none of them have anything to do with the Royal Commission apart from being allowed to provide media coverage of parts of it. The Royal Commission is the highest level of government criminal investigation, and it has almost 100% public support (the only ones unhappy with it are strangely enough the ones being investigated for the commission of criminal activities)

Cardinal Pell has (afaik) not been accused of any pedophilia activities himself, what he (and others) are under investigation for is the covering up of criminal activities, the payments made by the church to victims (although of questionable moral value) arent the major focus, the focus is the lack of reporting of crimes against children which should have happened and didnt, and the result was in many cases further abuse, that the church knew was happening on an ongoing basis but covered it up rather than allowing its name to be brought into disrepute.

The sad part of course is that now its even more public and its actions even more shameful than if they had simply done the right thing in the first place, but then coverups always end up doing that
For that matter, I was raised RCC and I have no clue where he gets anything from. It's almost parody RCC as presented.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 06:14 AM   #444
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
I dont know where the big dog is getting his info, but the ABC (a highly respected media service here) is not the only one covering the trials,
Never claimed otherwise, but it is surprising that ABC is still well respected after their universally panned article regarding domestic abuse and religion.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 02:02 PM   #445
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
I dont know where the big dog is getting his info, but the ABC (a highly respected media service here) is not the only one covering the trials, the 3 commercial tv broadcasters are as is SBS

And none of them have anything to do with the Royal Commission apart from being allowed to provide media coverage of parts of it. The Royal Commission is the highest level of government criminal investigation, and it has almost 100% public support (the only ones unhappy with it are strangely enough the ones being investigated for the commission of criminal activities)

Cardinal Pell has (afaik) not been accused of any pedophilia activities himself, what he (and others) are under investigation for is the covering up of criminal activities, the payments made by the church to victims (although of questionable moral value) arent the major focus, the focus is the lack of reporting of crimes against children which should have happened and didnt, and the result was in many cases further abuse, that the church knew was happening on an ongoing basis but covered it up rather than allowing its name to be brought into disrepute.

The sad part of course is that now its even more public and its actions even more shameful than if they had simply done the right thing in the first place, but then coverups always end up doing that

Oh yes he has. He is back in Australia now as a result of this and will go to trial next year. See post # 299.

Certainly however Pell has been very much on the nose per some time now, (apart from among the faithful), for his lack of action to protect the innocent , (didn't have much interest in this - from his own words), and his overwhelming interest in protecting the good name of the church. When you listen to him being interviewed by the Royal Commission, you cannot miss the expressions of incredulity, (by the Commissioner and his assistant), in response to his feeble testimony.

No doubt we will hear from The Big Dog that this was/is The Anti-Catholic Royal Commission.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.

Last edited by Thor 2; 16th October 2017 at 02:58 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 09:51 PM   #446
Dabop
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 950
Sorry, but maybe I'm not reading it the same way you are, I still see nothing there that says he's being charged for sexual acts against children himself, it seems to me to be still concerned with the coverups of the acts of others (in itself a criminal act for which he is standing trial)

I'm willing to be corrected, but I stiill havent seen anything that specifically states what he is actually being charged with- afaik the charges still havent been made public (which your own link states)

from your link
"Australia's most senior Catholic cleric has faced his second hearing at the Melbourne Magistrates' Court, after he was charged by Victoria Police detectives in June with offences involving multiple complainants.

The exact detail and nature of the charges have not been made public."
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th October 2017, 10:23 PM   #447
Dabop
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 950
I watched the ABC link http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-2...e-pell/8662700 and they do say "charged with historical sexual assault offences" but apart from that one media statement by the Victorian Police spokesman, nothing else has popped up- and the wording is ambiguous- is it in relation to the pretty much universally accepted history of the church covering up child sexual assault offences and his role in that, or is it accusations against him that he personally was an abuser?

Guess we will have to wait and see what finally is happening when the formal charges are released to the public
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 08:06 AM   #448
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,245
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Never claimed otherwise, but it is surprising that ABC is still well respected after their universally panned article regarding domestic abuse and religion.
Aaaand ... yet another evidence free post.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 08:12 AM   #449
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Aaaand ... yet another evidence free post.
'k
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 08:28 AM   #450
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,245
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
Know Nothing. A rabid anti catholic group from the 19th century.

Evangelicals attitudes toward Catholics explained why Catholics are number 3 on the KKK hit list, and why they are targets for such luminaries as Fred Phelps, Jack Chick, etc

Although they cannot really be blamed for the British Catholic genocides of the 19th century
Some of us on this thread are criticizing the Roman Catholic church for its coverup of child abuse over the last fifty years and it subsequent mediocre response once the facts came to light. That does not rise to the level of rabid anti-Catholicism promoted by the Know Nothings or Jack Chick. That type of anti-Catholic is just as bigoted as a Klan member or neo-Nazi.

An aside ... unlike Klansmen or neo-Nazis, I don't recall people with rabid anti-Catholic beliefs lynching Catholics, burning crosses on their lawns, or shooting up RC places of worship. In North America, at least. The Troubles in Ireland are a whole different story, where both Catholics and Protestants were fighting each other over religious and political differences.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 10:00 AM   #451
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit
 
Blue Mountain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Waging war on woo-woo in Winnipeg
Posts: 6,245
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
'k
Thanks. I read both the article and the thread you linked to. My take-away on that is not so much that Christian churches universally condone this sort of behaviour, but in some cases are severely lacking in compassion to women who are unfortunate enough to end up in a terrible marriage.

Is the article anti-Christian because it says some Christian churches have problems handling domestic abuse? Good question. Is a newspaper anti-football when it runs a journalistic series on concussions and the NFL's poor response to them? At what point does criticising some aspect of X turn into anti-X?

Curiously, I don't consider myself to be anti-Catholic, despite the fact I reject the RCC's version of Christianity (wherein the Pope is the Vicar of Christ and the Church is a necessary intercessor between the common person and God.) I do not, however, believe that people who are members of the RCC are evil, or scum of the Earth, or should be hauled off to concentration camps to be worked to death as slaves, provided they aren't executed immediately upon arrival. I support the right of people to worship the God or gods they choose, or not worship at all, so long as that belief doesn't negatively impact those around them.

And this is where I stand on the current issue in this thread. Individual Roman Catholics I have known are decent people, as are individual Jews, Mormons, Anglicans, Mennonites, and non-believers. But as an institution the RCC has harboured some very bad apples. Only after the revelations of systemic sexual abuse within the church and their repeated cover-ups, along with a major public outcry, has the church started to address these issues.
__________________
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.

Last edited by Blue Mountain; 17th October 2017 at 10:02 AM.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 02:21 PM   #452
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
I watched the ABC link http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-2...e-pell/8662700 and they do say "charged with historical sexual assault offences" but apart from that one media statement by the Victorian Police spokesman, nothing else has popped up- and the wording is ambiguous- is it in relation to the pretty much universally accepted history of the church covering up child sexual assault offences and his role in that, or is it accusations against him that he personally was an abuser?

Guess we will have to wait and see what finally is happening when the formal charges are released to the public

There were specific allegations against Pell that came to light some time ago before he was charged with child abuse. In order to not prejudice the public prior to his trial they would be suppressing details now I imagine.

The allegations I recall were regarding Pell's behaviour when swimming with some young boys and exposing himself to a number of them in a locker room. Complaints were made by some of the boys, (now men), that Pell groped them in the pool and another man walked into the locker room and saw Pell exposing himself to the boys. The Victorian police have reported that much more evidence has been collected against Pell, (hence the charges being laid), but have not given details thereof.

Pell has maintained this is all a smear campaign against him and I am sure The Big Dog will concur with is. An obvious case of anti-Catholisim by the Victoria police.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.

Last edited by Thor 2; 17th October 2017 at 02:22 PM.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 02:25 PM   #453
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
has the trial has taken place and Pell has been convicted?

Because otherwise oh, the irony

Last edited by The Big Dog; 17th October 2017 at 02:33 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 02:46 PM   #454
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
has the trial has taken place and Pell has been convicted?

Because otherwise oh, the irony

Now pay attention The Big Dog. The trial is to take place next year as I mentioned before.

I also mentioned before that I hope he gets a fair trial and the caution shown by the Victorian police will help this come about.

Pell's complicity regarding the covering up of child abuse by others, and his complete lack of empathy for the victims, whilst protecting the good name of the RCC, is however a matter of record.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 06:44 PM   #455
Dabop
Muse
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Oz
Posts: 950
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
There were specific allegations against Pell that came to light some time ago before he was charged with child abuse. In order to not prejudice the public prior to his trial they would be suppressing details now I imagine.

The allegations I recall were regarding Pell's behaviour when swimming with some young boys and exposing himself to a number of them in a locker room. Complaints were made by some of the boys, (now men), that Pell groped them in the pool and another man walked into the locker room and saw Pell exposing himself to the boys. The Victorian police have reported that much more evidence has been collected against Pell, (hence the charges being laid), but have not given details thereof.

Pell has maintained this is all a smear campaign against him and I am sure The Big Dog will concur with is. An obvious case of anti-Catholisim by the Victoria police.
OK I hadnt heard those allegations before, I expect all will be revealed over the course of the trial
__________________
It's a kind of a strawman thing in that it's exactly a strawman thing. Loss Leader

'When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.' George Carlin
Dabop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th October 2017, 07:12 PM   #456
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by Dabop View Post
OK I hadnt heard those allegations before, I expect all will be revealed over the course of the trial
More likely after. The RCC did not fess up to Brendan Smith until he was good and dead. To this day, the animal has defenders among the RCC community.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:16 PM   #457
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
More likely after. The RCC did not fess up to Brendan Smith Smyth until he was good and dead. To this day, the animal has defenders among the RCC community.

Ah yes Brendan Smyth ....... what a lovely guy.

From the anti-Catholic wiki :

Quote:
Brendan Smyth O.Praem (8 June 1927 – 22 August 1997) was a Roman Catholic priest from Belfast, Northern Ireland, who became notorious as a child molester, using his position in the Roman Catholic Church to obtain access to his victims. During a period of over 40 years, Smyth sexually abused and indecently assaulted at least 143[1][2] children in parishes in Belfast, Dublin and the United States. His actions were frequently hidden from police and the public by Roman Catholic officials. Controversy surrounding his case contributed to the downfall of the government of Republic of Ireland in December 1994.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:22 PM   #458
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
More likely after. The RCC did not fess up to Brendan Smith until he was good and dead. To this day, the animal has defenders among the RCC community.
Like who? I've never heard anybody defend Smyth.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:30 PM   #459
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Like who? I've never heard anybody defend Smyth.
Cathal Daly.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 01:40 PM   #460
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Cathal Daly.
Cahal Daly has been dead for 8 years so to say he's defending Smyth 'to this day' is a bit of a stretch, but that aside, what did Cahal Daly say in his defense?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:22 PM   #461
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Cahal Daly has been dead for 8 years so to say he's defending Smyth 'to this day' is a bit of a stretch, but that aside, what did Cahal Daly say in his defense?

I don't see this as much of a point Strawberry. Abaddon may know of some who do not get media attention who have expressed support for Smyth, for his statement to be true. We all know that some will continue with a belief in something or someone, regardless of the mountain of evidence contradicting it. The important part is the lack of action and lack of admission of culpability of those who knew of Smyth's activities. Following is an article in the anti-Catholic "The Journal" about one such priest/cardinal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cardinal-br...37256-May2012/

Oh, there is some reference to allegations made by the anti-Catholic BBC also.

Quote:
RESPONDING TO ALLEGATIONS made by*BBC’s This World last night, Cardinal Seán Brady has criticised the programme makers for overstating and “seriously misrepresenting” his role in a 1975 church inquiry into allegations of child abuse against notorious paedophile priest Brendan Smyth
.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:33 PM   #462
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
I don't see this as much of a point Strawberry. Abaddon may know of some who do not get media attention who have expressed support for Smyth, for his statement to be true. We all know that some will continue with a belief in something or someone, regardless of the mountain of evidence contradicting it. The important part is the lack of action and lack of admission of culpability of those who knew of Smyth's activities. Following is an article in the anti-Catholic "The Journal" about one such priest/cardinal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cardinal-br...37256-May2012/

Oh, there is some reference to allegations made by the anti-Catholic BBC also.

.
I don't see any defense of Brendan Smyth in that article, what I see is Cahal Daly defending himself. In fact, I've never heard anyone defend Smyth, whether in the public sphere or Catholics I know around me.

If Abaddon was referring to people he knows in his personal life defending Brendan Smyth all he has to do is say so.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 02:55 PM   #463
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I don't see any defense of Brendan Smyth in that article, what I see is Cahal Daly defending himself. In fact, I've never heard anyone defend Smyth, whether in the public sphere or Catholics I know around me.

If Abaddon was referring to people he knows in his personal life defending Brendan Smyth all he has to do is say so.
OK. I do. Happy now? However, Cathal Daly (note correct spelling) was instrumental in the cover up. Of course he is defending himself. And while he is dead some years, the catholic machine lumbers on in case you had not noticed. Daly was furious at the Norbertine's who concealed Smyth's presence among them not because that was wrong, but that they got caught doing it.

Read and weep.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0120/84...ublish-report/

Not only did the RCC fail to report, they intentionally put the monster into other dioceses where he continued to abuse children.

Then we have the likes of the Tuam babies scandal, an event that I actually got involved in researching, trawling through the historical records and what-not. Know what I found? A bucket of damning evidence. Who wanted to suppress that evidence? Why it was the RCC surprise, surprise. You have no idea of the lengths the RCC went to to block our efforts at every step. Much of the data remains under injunction, thanks to the RCC.

So do not presume to tell me anything at all about the "catholics".
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:04 PM   #464
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
OK. I do. Happy now? However, Cathal Daly (note correct spelling) was instrumental in the cover up. Of course he is defending himself. And while he is dead some years, the catholic machine lumbers on in case you had not noticed. Daly was furious at the Norbertine's who concealed Smyth's presence among them not because that was wrong, but that they got caught doing it.

Read and weep.
https://www.rte.ie/news/2017/0120/84...ublish-report/

Not only did the RCC fail to report, they intentionally put the monster into other dioceses where he continued to abuse children.

Then we have the likes of the Tuam babies scandal, an event that I actually got involved in researching, trawling through the historical records and what-not. Know what I found? A bucket of damning evidence. Who wanted to suppress that evidence? Why it was the RCC surprise, surprise. You have no idea of the lengths the RCC went to to block our efforts at every step. Much of the data remains under injunction, thanks to the RCC.

So do not presume to tell me anything at all about the "catholics".
I don't know why you're throwing a tantrum, I only asked you a question. We all know the Catholic Church's history of covering up for paedophile priests and moving them from parish to parish, that's not what was being questioned here. You made a specific assertion - that people were still defending Smyth to this day, an assertion for which I've seen no evidence as yet.

A cardinal who's been dead for 8 years and who afaics didn't defend him anyway doesn't really qualify. Its as well not to exaggerate when you're talking about "the catholics", you only end up sounding like Ian Paisley.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:14 PM   #465
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I don't know why you're throwing a tantrum, I only asked you a question. We all know the Catholic Church's history of covering up for paedophile priests and moving them from parish to parish, that's not what was being questioned here. You made a specific assertion - that people were still defending Smyth to this day, an assertion for which I've seen no evidence as yet.

A cardinal who's been dead for 8 years and who afaics didn't defend him anyway doesn't really qualify. Its as well not to exaggerate when you're talking about "the catholics", you only end up sounding like Ian Paisley.
You are dodging the issue.

Daly simply launched on a plausible deniability exercise. He knew full well what he did and hid it intentionally. The fact that he attempted to distance himself after the fact does not matter. The fact that you want to continue the cover up is more than a little concerning. 8 tears dead, you say. True. Yet here you are apologising for him. Exactly my point.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:16 PM   #466
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
You are dodging the issue.

Daly simply launched on a plausible deniability exercise. He knew full well what he did and hid it intentionally. The fact that he attempted to distance himself after the fact does not matter. The fact that you want to continue the cover up is more than a little concerning. 8 tears dead, you say. True. Yet here you are apologising for him. Exactly my point.
I'm not apologising for him, I'm accurately describing the public statements he made about Brendan Smyth. It is not accurate to say he defended him, and its certainly not accurate to say he's defending him to this day, unless you have a functional Ouija board.

So who are these RCCs who are still defending Brendan Smyth to this day?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:17 PM   #467
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
You made a specific assertion - that people were still defending Smyth to this day, an assertion for which I've seen no evidence as yet.
He wont answer. He is not interested in that. The goal is simply to keep the nonsense going.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:42 PM   #468
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
He wont answer. He is not interested in that. The goal is simply to keep the nonsense going.
How uninteresting, you copypastad this post of mine from an entirely different thread...
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
He wont answer. He is not interested in that. The goal is simply to keep the nonsense going.
How...playground of you.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 03:53 PM   #469
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
How uninteresting, you copypastad this post of mine from an entirely different thread...

How...playground of you.
Perhaps you could prove him wrong by answering my question then - who are these RCs still defending Brendan Smyth to this day?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:00 PM   #470
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Perhaps you could prove him wrong by answering my question then - who are these RCs still defending Brendan Smyth to this day?
Plenty.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture...ctims-136.html

Yep, those "oaths of silence" keep rattling on.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:02 PM   #471
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
More perhaps?
https://publicinquiry.eu/2014/09/09/...brendan-smyth/

Shall I continue?
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:07 PM   #472
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing
 
abaddon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Republic of Ireland
Posts: 20,834
Or how about
http://www.scotsman.com/news/obituar...blin-1-4380207

Shall I continue? I have buckets of references.
__________________
Who is General Failure? And why is he reading my hard drive?


...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:09 PM   #473
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Plenty.
http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture...ctims-136.html

Yep, those "oaths of silence" keep rattling on.
No, Abaddon, try and answer the question you're being asked. I'm asking you who is defending Brendan Smyth to this day?

Giving me links about past cover ups within the Catholic Church is not an answer. We all know the Church has a history of covering up paedophilia among its priests, that's not under question. You made a specific assertion that RCs are defending Brendan Smyth to this day, and yet as far as I can see Smyth is universally regarded as a hate figure by Catholics and non Catholics alike. So who is defending him?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:12 PM   #474
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
That's a link to somebody attacking Cathal Daly not someone defending Brendan Smyth.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:13 PM   #475
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Or how about
http://www.scotsman.com/news/obituar...blin-1-4380207

Shall I continue? I have buckets of references.
That's a link to an obituary of Archbishop Connell, including details of his part in past cover ups and his public apologies to victims. Nowhere does the author defend Brendan Smyth and nowhere does he quote the Archbishop as having defended him.

Oh, and he's also dead so not defending anyone to this day.
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:27 PM   #476
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
I don't see any defense of Brendan Smyth in that article, what I see is Cahal Daly defending himself. In fact, I've never heard anyone defend Smyth, whether in the public sphere or Catholics I know around me.

If Abaddon was referring to people he knows in his personal life defending Brendan Smyth all he has to do is say so.

You must read a post more thoroughly before you respond to it Strawberry. I said:

Quote:
---------- The important part is the lack of action and lack of admission of culpability of those who knew of Smyth's activities. Following is an article in the anti-Catholic "The Journal" about one such priest/cardinal.

http://www.thejournal.ie/cardinal-br...37256-May2012/

Oh, there is some reference to allegations made by the anti-Catholic BBC also.

See, I didn't say there was a defence of Smyth in that article. The article is about the lack of action and admission of culpability of a member of the Catholic Hierarchy.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 04:30 PM   #477
Strawberry
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,140
Originally Posted by Thor 2 View Post
You must read a post more thoroughly before you respond to it Strawberry. I said:




See, I didn't say there was a defence of Smyth in that article. The article is about the lack of action and admission of culpability of a member of the Catholic Hierarchy.
Sure. That, however, is not the assertion that I'm questioning. Abaddon made quite a definite accusation that there are RCs still defending Brendan Smyth to this day. Well, I live in the same country as Abaddon and I've never heard anyone speak about Smyth with anything other than contempt and disgust, including Catholic clergy.

So I just want to know who is defending him?
Strawberry is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2017, 05:09 PM   #478
The Big Dog
Guest
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 29,742
Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Or how about
http://www.scotsman.com/news/obituar...blin-1-4380207

Shall I continue? I have buckets of references.
It does not remotely support your claim.

He wont answer. He is not interested in that. The goal is simply to keep the nonsense going.

Last edited by The Big Dog; 18th October 2017 at 05:41 PM.
The Big Dog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 01:35 PM   #479
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Sure. That, however, is not the assertion that I'm questioning. Abaddon made quite a definite accusation that there are RCs still defending Brendan Smyth to this day. Well, I live in the same country as Abaddon and I've never heard anyone speak about Smyth with anything other than contempt and disgust, including Catholic clergy.

So I just want to know who is defending him?

Don't know why you are so doggedly persisting with this - it is of little importance.

This extract from the article abaddon linked us to is of interest however:

Quote:
An independent commission was established to investigate the archdiocese’s handling of 325 abuse claims from January 1975 to May 2004, but Connell mounted a High Court challenge to try to block the inquiry from gaining access to 5,500 files on priests and abuse allegations. He secured a temporary injunction, before withdrawing his action two weeks later amid public outrage.

The inquiry issued a damning conclusion in 2009: “The Dublin Archdiocese’s preoccupations in dealing with cases of child sexual abuse were the maintenance of secrecy, the avoidance of scandal, the protection of the reputation of the church and the preservation of its assets. All other considerations, including the welfare of children and justice for victims, were subordinated to these priorities.”

The RCC maintains a consistency in its approach all over the World.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2017, 01:54 PM   #480
Thor 2
Philosopher
 
Thor 2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brisbane, Aust.
Posts: 6,330
Originally Posted by The Big Dog View Post
It does not remotely support your claim.

He wont answer. He is not interested in that. The goal is simply to keep the nonsense going.

Pope John Paul II, drawing upon his impeccable judgment, (OK, OK, I won't say he used the "unable to make errors" tool he keeps in the cupboard), thought this Connell had the right stuff to lead the archdiocese.

Quote:
Cardinal Desmond Connell, who retired as the Roman Catholic archbishop of Dublin during a furor over the church’s handling of cases of sexual abuse perpetrated by members of the clergy, died on 21 February. He was 90.

A theological scholar with training in metaphysics, then-Father Connell was a surprise choice when Pope John Paul II appointed him to lead the archdiocese of Dublin in 1988. John Paul named him a cardinal in 2001, making him the first archbishop of Dublin to be so elevated in nearly 120 years.

I wonder if you can give us an example or two of senior clergy, who broke the ranks and fessed up to the problem of child sex abuse, before it was dragged out of them. We seem to have many examples of those that didn't and tried to keep the lid on it tightly fastened.
__________________
Thinking is a faith hazard.
Thor 2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Religion and Philosophy

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.