IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags anti-semitism charges , Australia elections , Australia politics , Julian Assange , Malcolm Fraser , wikileaks

Old 17th March 2012, 04:53 PM   #1
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger

Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Julian Assange to run for Australian Senate

"WikiLeaks has announced its founder and leader Julian Assange is planning to run for a seat in the Australian Senate."

""We have discovered that it is possible for Julian Assange to run for the Australian Senate while detained," WikiLeaks said on Twitter.

WikiLeaks said it would also be running a candidate against Prime Minister Julia Gillard in her seat of Lalor.

"The name of the Lalor candidate and the state Julian will run for will be announced at the appropriate time," it said."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-03-1...senate/3895958

Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 05:23 PM   #2
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

As a member of the Senate would he have access to classified information?
Old 17th March 2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Childlike Empress
Banned

And, are you going to vote for him Orphia?
Childlike Empress is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 05:28 PM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

With preference deals he could get in with around 6-7% of the vote. I reckon he's got a chance. And I may very well vote for him.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 05:38 PM   #5
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
And I may very well vote for him.
What impresses you about him?
Old 17th March 2012, 05:45 PM   #6
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
And, are you going to vote for him Orphia?
I won't be able to if he's running in another state. You too, lionking.

http://www.aec.gov.au/voting/How_to_...ing_Senate.htm

If he runs for Victoria, I will consider his policies and compare them to his opponents'.

Last edited by Orphia Nay; 17th March 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
Kevin_Lowe

Interesting!

I'm not inclined to put Assange on any kind of pedestal but I'd get one hell of a kick out of him being in the Senate. We could use a strong advocate for transparency, frankly. I'd throw a vote his way.

If he ended up holding the balance of power I'd giggle for days. Years, maybe.
Kevin_Lowe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Orphia Nay View Post
I won't be able to if he's running in another state. You too, lionking.

http://www.aec.gov.au/voting/How_to_...ing_Senate.htm

If he runs for Victoria, I will consider his policies and compare them to his opponents'.
Yes, I know that, but he did live in Melbourne, and I think he would get good support in Victoria. Remember that Melbourne elected the only Greens MHR last election.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Orphia Nay
Tagger

Yes, I know that, but he did live in Melbourne, and I think he would get good support in Victoria. Remember that Melbourne elected the only Greens MHR last election.
Ah, yes, indeed.

If the other Wikileaks member is going to run for Lalor (Victoria), that means he/she's running for the House of Representatives, right?
Old 17th March 2012, 06:23 PM   #10
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by WildCat View Post
What impresses you about him?
Those nominated for the Senate by major parties are almost always machine people - union officials on the Labor side, and electoral officers or employer association operatives on the Liberal side. They are often unknown before election, and not much better known after. Senators can spend their entire political careers out of the spotlight merely serving time. Senators were once memorably and accurately described by former PM Keating as "unrepresentative swill". So I don't need to be greatly impressed by someone up against the current mob of Senators.

So I think he has more talent than most other Senators, and certainly the current crop of independents. Have a look at one of them, Bob Katter, and his enlightened views. He would make a mighty fine Tea Partier. http://www.theage.com.au/polls/opini...313-1uxk2.html

The outrage by major parties to Assange's election would be well worth my vote.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th March 2012, 06:57 PM   #11
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Originally Posted by Kevin_Lowe View Post
We could use a strong advocate for transparency, frankly.
As transparent as wikileaks is?
Old 17th March 2012, 07:12 PM   #12
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

As transparent as wikileaks is?
This thread isn't about wikileaks. That issue has been debated ad nauseum in other threads.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th March 2012, 07:20 PM   #13
Pardalis
Banned

This thread isn't about wikileaks. That issue has been debated ad nauseum in other threads.
But one as to ask, will he intercept cables from his own office?
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 07:23 PM   #14
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I seriously doubt an independent Senator without portfolio would be privy to any sensitive information at all.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th March 2012, 07:31 PM   #15
Pardalis
Banned

I have the impression he's merely going to be a naysayer.
Pardalis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 07:38 PM   #16
Captain Obvious

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
No he's not.
Captain Obvious is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th March 2012, 07:45 PM   #17
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by Pardalis View Post
As Kevin Lowe suggested above, with the way the Senate is constituted, if elected he may hold the balance of power. Even though I have little respect for the Senate, it has the power to reject Bills. He could become one of the most influential politicians in the land.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17th March 2012, 08:18 PM   #18
Pardalis
Banned

I will pray for you.
Old 17th March 2012, 10:01 PM   #19
WildCat
NWO Master Conspirator

Oh well, lots of lulz are sure to follow if he gets elected.
Old 18th March 2012, 02:40 AM   #20
Virus
Philosopher

He's running for political office. His connections with dodgy political groups is 100% relevant.
"They say the right things. They ‘speak truth to power’, ‘transgress boundaries’, and all the rest of it. But you will have noticed that they are careful only to challenge religions that won’t hurt them (Christianity) and governments that won’t arrest them (democracies)." - Nick Cohen.

Last edited by Virus; 18th March 2012 at 02:41 AM.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 02:43 AM   #21
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

He's not running for anything, but if he were, precisely which dodgy political groups is he connected with?

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 18th March 2012, 07:13 AM   #22
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Yes, I know that, but he did live in Melbourne, and I think he would get good support in Victoria. Remember that Melbourne Liberal preferences elected the only Greens MHR last election.
FTFY. They greatly regret preferencing him above Labor now, even though it wouldn't have helped them any.

And no way would I vote for someone as irresponsible as Julian Assange.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 07:17 AM   #23
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Oh well, lots of lulz are sure to follow if he gets elected.
Well it wouldn't be a first for Victoria, 7 years ago a Family First candidate (think Tea Party but with even less charisma) got in on preferences, and 6 years later when we got a chance to get rid of him, a Democratic Labor Party (1950s throwback Catholic anti-communist reds under the bed type) candidate got in, again on preferences. So we have form in this area, not that any of the major parties other than perhaps The Greens would put preferences his way.
i loves the little birdies they goes tweet tweet tweet hee hee i loves them they sings to each other tweet twet tweet hee hee i loves them they is so cute i love yje little birdies little birdies in the room when birfies sings ther is no gloom i lobes the little birdies they goess tweet tweet tweet hee hee hee i loves them they sings me to sleep sing me to slrrp now little birdies - The wisdom of Shemp.
Damien Evans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 07:28 AM   #24
MG1962

Originally Posted by Damien Evans View Post
Well it wouldn't be a first for Victoria, 7 years ago a Family First candidate (think Tea Party but with even less charisma) got in on preferences, and 6 years later when we got a chance to get rid of him, a Democratic Labor Party (1950s throwback Catholic anti-communist reds under the bed type) candidate got in, again on preferences. So we have form in this area, not that any of the major parties other than perhaps The Greens would put preferences his way.
Hey you guys dont get all the fun, we went within a few percent in New South Wales of voting in Joylene Hairmouth a singing transvestite to the Senate back in the 70's
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 07:38 AM   #25
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

He's not running for anything, but if he were, precisely which dodgy political groups is he connected with?
You mean besides Wikileaks?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 07:41 AM   #26
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

You mean a political candidate's past activities and associations aren't relevant when considering his suitability for public office?

If the people or organizations promoting his candidacy have been discussed elsewhere, it's not appropriate to discuss them in the context of his candidacy?

Those nominated for the Senate by major parties are almost always machine people - union officials on the Labor side, and electoral officers or employer association operatives on the Liberal side.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 07:53 AM   #27
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
Hey you guys dont get all the fun, we went within a few percent in New South Wales of voting in Joylene Hairmouth a singing transvestite to the Senate back in the 70's
Before my time I'm afraid.
Old 18th March 2012, 08:07 AM   #28
MG1962

Before my time I'm afraid.
LOL cheeky bugger
MG1962 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 09:19 AM   #29
Wildy
Adelaidean

Well that's your own fault for having enough people in your state who would vote for such a person (says the South Australian).

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
You mean a political candidate's past activities and associations aren't relevant when considering his suitability for public office?

If the people or organizations promoting his candidacy have been discussed elsewhere, it's not appropriate to discuss them in the context of his candidacy?
I think the issue is that the thread will just devolve into a discussion on whether Wikileaks is an evil organisation or not.

The way I see it the perception of Wikileaks is probably more relevant to the discussion since it's those perceptions that would influence his electability rather than whether Wikileaks is a dubious organisation.

I think that more Australians would know what Wikileaks does in comparison to how many know of the criticisms and issues that have plagued the organisation.

Given that Australia is currently facing a strangely partisan political environment at the moment this may end up resulting in Assange or a Wikileaks candidate becoming a popular choice for a protest vote but success in the House of Representatives really relies mostly on getting preferences to flow to you so the effect of a protest vote would only be reflected in the primary vote but may still result in Gillard winning.

The Senate of course is a different beast and there it's far easier for a smaller party to get in. In this case the question we'd be asking before we even bother with Assange's credibility as a candidate would be "can he even run?" That I'm sure will be cleared up pretty quickly (maybe with fines being levelled against him). I suspect that we're probably going to see him found "not eligible" simply because he's been living overseas for the last 7 or so years.
Old 18th March 2012, 07:16 PM   #30
The Fool
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by MG1962 View Post
a singing transvestite could easily get into our senate. All they would need to do is get on one of the party lists.....this is why the party list system of electing people is simply stupid and does not deserve to have the word democracy used to describe it.

Lose half your IQ....Ask me how.
The Fool is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th March 2012, 07:40 PM   #31
Virus
Philosopher

I would hate to have this twit in the senate.
"They say the right things. They ‘speak truth to power’, ‘transgress boundaries’, and all the rest of it. But you will have noticed that they are careful only to challenge religions that won’t hurt them (Christianity) and governments that won’t arrest them (democracies)." - Nick Cohen.
Virus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 12:15 AM   #32
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by The Fool View Post
a singing transvestite could easily get into our senate. All they would need to do is get on one of the party lists.....this is why the party list system of electing people is simply stupid and does not deserve to have the word democracy used to describe it.
You are free to do as I do and vote below the line.
Old 19th March 2012, 01:51 AM   #33
Orphia Nay
Tagger

What's wrong with singing transvestites?

Oh, crap, I don't want to derail my own thread. I'll attempt to re-rail: Julian Assange looks like a lesbian. I'm not his fan, but maybe I should vote for him because he's prettier than Julia Gillard.
Old 19th March 2012, 02:04 AM   #34
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

And who will ever forget the Australian Marijuana Party and J J McRoach? He polled quite well in the 70s.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 19th March 2012, 02:05 AM   #35
Skepticemea
Master Poster

Assange is haaaawt.
Skepticemea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 02:21 AM   #36
nvidiot
Botanical Jedi

If you like that former drug addict firebrand of the people with no sense of second thoughts look...
Old 19th March 2012, 03:14 AM   #37
Skepticemea
Master Poster

Originally Posted by nvidiot View Post
If you like that former drug addict firebrand of the people with no sense of second thoughts look...
Former drug addict? I've gone right off him. He'd harsh my buzz.
Skepticemea is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2012, 05:21 AM   #38
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

And who will ever forget the Australian Marijuana Party and J J McRoach? He polled quite well in the 70s.
I believe the communist party of australia (marxist-leninist) are still fielding candidates. IIRC last election they got 0.2% of the vote in NSW.
Old 19th March 2012, 05:24 AM   #39
BenBurch
Gatekeeper of The Left

I suspect his lawyers have put him up to this cynical ploy; When a person is an elected politician, executing him is going to be diplomatically slightly more difficult.
Old 19th March 2012, 05:49 AM   #40
Damien Evans
Up The Irons
Tagger

Originally Posted by BenBurch View Post
I suspect his lawyers have put him up to this cynical ploy; When a person is an elected politician, executing him is going to be diplomatically slightly more difficult.
Executing him for what?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics