IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Capitol riot , donald trump , protest incidents , Trump controversies , Washington DC incidents

Old 21st January 2021, 10:41 AM   #2601
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
And now a SECOND pickup artist has been arrested for his role in the insurrection, this one from New Jersey.
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/s...98953996464133

Misogynists at a fascist riot, color me shocked!
Old 21st January 2021, 10:48 AM   #2602
Cavemonster
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
https://twitter.com/EmilyGorcenski/s...98953996464133

Misogynists at a fascist riot, color me shocked!
Just out of personal interest, I'd be curious to see if any of a particular age demographic arrested had some connections to "gamergate".

I'm guessing there's some overlap.
The weakness of all Utopias is this, ... They first assume that no man will want more than his share, and then are very ingenious in explaining whether his share will be delivered by motorcar or balloon.
-G.K. CHESTERTON
Cavemonster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 11:28 AM   #2603
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Cop killer may have been found -

https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1357476/download

Relevant quotes -

Quote:
On or about January 10, 2021, the FBI received a tip on its official Twitter account. The tip provided a single image or photograph of a male carrying a hockey stick. The exact tweet stated “This is the man that killed the police officer. He hit him with a hockey-stick over and over in the head.” This tip has not been corroborated or confirmed by law enforcement. Additionally, your affiant has no evidence that the suspect killed a police officer. We nevertheless include this fact to explain the investigative steps that were subsequently taken.

Quote:
The video depicts an individual wearing the exact same clothing as the individual above, bearing a hockey stick. In the video, the individual aggressively swings the hockey stick at an individual lying on the ground.
The article indicates that the video footage was taken during the attack of a law enforcement officer. Specifically, the video shows a large crowd of individuals gathered around an entrance to the U.S. Capitol. It further shows the man with the hockey stick lifting the stick above his head and swinging it down rapidly, striking an individual on the ground several times.

Laughing my ass off as Trump's brown shirts are rounded up, one by one.
TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 11:44 AM   #2604
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Man who beat cop with Hockey Stick:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court...y-stick-during

Guy is going to spend a long time in the penalty box.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 12:23 PM   #2605
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Man who beat cop with Hockey Stick:
https://thehill.com/regulation/court...y-stick-during

Guy is going to spend a long time in the penalty box.
Two things they do well in Michigan, hockey and murder. Kind of poetic seeing the two put together like that.
Old 21st January 2021, 12:52 PM   #2606
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Just arrested today and he's a real special fella. All of these blithering idiots have been outed on social media and / or reported by friends, family and colleagues. Not enough for this clown. Seems he wanted to make the local newspaper too.

Behold the genius -

Quote:
On January 14, 2021, an article featuring WEEKS appeared in the Baker County Press. The article included a screen shot of WEEKS from a “deleted video from the Capitol riot of January 6, 2021.” The second paragraph of the article stated, “During the uproar, Brad Weeks said in a direct message to The Press he inhaled some tear gas after scaling a wall outside the Capitol Building before going inside but was otherwise alright.”
https://www.justice.gov/opa/page/file/1357831/download

TJM is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 12:53 PM   #2607
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
I'm speechless.
Old 21st January 2021, 01:15 PM   #2608
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
The poor petals. My heart bleeds.

Some QAnon followers lose hope after inauguration
Quote:
...QAnon supporters believed Wednesday's inauguration was an elaborate trap set by the former president, wherein Democrats would be rounded up and executed while Trump retained power...
That's insane!
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:18 PM   #2609
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
That's insane!
Not really that is one of the more reasonable and sane parts of Qanon. That Tom Hanks rapes and eats babies is a bigger stretch for example.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:33 PM   #2610
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Yep. Some of the people elected to Congress believe that, any day now, the military will round up and shoot their fellow Congressmen.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:36 PM   #2611
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yes. People believing in crazy, unsupported nonsense is bad.

Why is this such a hard lesson for society to learn?

And let's be clear, society will not learn it. As soon as this isn't newsworthy we'll go right back to "Oh why do you have to be right all the time? They aren't hurting anyone." and skepticism and rationality being seen as "mean."
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:49 PM   #2612
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post

And let's be clear, society will not learn it. As soon as this isn't newsworthy we'll go right back to "Oh why do you have to be right all the time? They aren't hurting anyone." and skepticism and rationality being seen as "mean."
I was kinda thinking the same thing as Biden went to Mass on Wednesday.

I was actually a bit torn because I think his faith is a genuine source of strength and comfort in his life and he does not appear to be the sort who uses faith as an excuse for his bad actions, but still it seems a bit much to get on people for believing fairytales just after kneeling at a Mass.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 21st January 2021 at 01:58 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:53 PM   #2613
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I know it's just an autocorrect, but this is priceless.

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I was actually a bit torn because I think his fish is a genuine source of strength and comfort in his life...
Old 21st January 2021, 02:02 PM   #2614
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities.

I know it's not the traditional Voltaire paraphrase, 'Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,' but I think it's still broadly true.
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:06 PM   #2615
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Mark Sahady, leader of Massachusetts hate group "Super Happy Fun America", and recent arrestee for Jan6 Capitol invasion related charges, has hired an incompetent lawyer who doesn't know how to make filings on Pacer.

The below exchange is between the attorney and the court during a trial setting Sahady's pretrial release conditions, a somewhat routine affair for most criminal defense lawyers.

Quote:
Judge: "No one is saying Mr. Sahady can't in other ways voice support for Mr. Trump or any other candidate."

Judge says to Del Gallo "I had a lot of trouble understanding your pleading. Your arguments were somewhat unintelligible."
https://twitter.com/lilsarg/status/1352345882025488390

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 21st January 2021 at 02:10 PM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:09 PM   #2616
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Change it back, Dr Keith. That was a profundity for the Ages. A ******* Zen Koan on the hoof.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:25 PM   #2617
TJM
Potsing Whiled Runk
Tagger

Mark Sahady, leader of Massachusetts hate group "Super Happy Fun America", and recent arrestee for Jan6 Capitol invasion related charges, has hired an incompetent lawyer who doesn't know how to make filings on Pacer.

The below exchange is between the attorney and the court during a trial setting Sahady's pretrial release conditions, a somewhat routine affair for most criminal defense lawyers.

https://twitter.com/lilsarg/status/1352345882025488390
Gold!

Old 21st January 2021, 03:13 PM   #2618
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Thank you for noticing. I thought it was funny, too.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 03:58 PM   #2619
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

New Definition of MAGA
Many
Are
Getting
Arrested.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 04:42 PM   #2620
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
Thank you for noticing. I thought it was funny, too.
Oh dear and here's me. I thought it was intentional . . . but deep.
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:58 AM   #2621
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Quote:
In fact, an NPR analysis has found that nearly 1 in 5 people charged over their alleged involvement in the attack on the U.S. Capitol appear to have a military history.
20% of capitol invaders were military or former military. Right wing extremism in the ranks is a real problem. Time to clean house.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/21/95891...ce=twitter.com
Old 22nd January 2021, 06:19 AM   #2622
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

20% of capitol invaders were military or former military. Right wing extremism in the ranks is a real problem. Time to clean house.

I suggest they ask for volunteers, active and retired, for a secret mission to invade AntiFaistan.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:31 AM   #2623
cosmicaug
Graduate Poster

Now do law enforcement background.
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:51 AM   #2624
Wudang
BOFH

Another emergency lawsuit requesting the US governement be placed in "stewardship" citing as legal precedent <checks notes> Lord Of The Rings.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/s...27169109762048
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:53 AM   #2625
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Wudang View Post
Another emergency lawsuit requesting the US governement be placed in "stewardship" citing as legal precedent <checks notes> Lord Of The Rings.

Guiliani already invoked trial by combat. Can't wait for the "Hand of the King" ruling.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 07:56 AM   #2626
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Oh dear and here's me. I thought it was intentional . . . but deep.
Despite Thermal's efforts to put me six feet under, I'm rarely deep.

Old 22nd January 2021, 08:33 AM   #2627
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Guiliani already invoked trial by combat. Can't wait for the "Hand of the King" ruling.

We already know where his hands have been.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:38 AM   #2628
Steve
Philosopher

From the motion document:

"through their attorneys, Paul M. Davis, and Kellye SoRelle"

Makes a person wonder how these attorneys function in life, never mind as actual lawyers.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:41 AM   #2629
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

What I think I like most about this is the statement in the footnote that "The rightful King of Gondor had abandoned the throne." Not only did they cite Tolkein as a legal precedent, they got the precedent wrong.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:42 AM   #2630
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Colbert is going to have a field day with that. He's a huge Tolkein nerd.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:47 AM   #2631
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
What I think I like most about this is the statement in the footnote that "The rightful King of Gondor had abandoned the throne." Not only did they cite Tolkein as a legal precedent, they got the precedent wrong.

Dave
I find the supposed legal precedent that the USA has a king to be rather fascinating.
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:49 AM   #2632
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Is the actual plot there burning us all to death with the stupid? From the naming of defendants, alone, there was pretty much nowhere mildly intelligent or reasonable to go. Still, I'll agree with one thing of note. On their side, they have a "unique understanding."
Old 22nd January 2021, 08:53 AM   #2633
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
Let Frodo testify!
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:01 AM   #2634
No Other
Muse

Wrong. It was 20% of the rioters who were charged with a crime for the Capitol invasion... NOT 20% of the capitol invaders. 140 have been charged which means you are talking about 28 people. Because 28 people are former or current military... you want to "clean house". And you call this Right wing extremism but you are level headed and the voice of reason.
No Other is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:06 AM   #2635
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I find the supposed legal precedent that the USA has a king to be rather fascinating.
There's a figure of speech I've come across often in the CT forum: "Fractally wrong." It refers to a belief, or belief system, that is not just wrong when viewed on a particular scale or from a particular perspective, but that remains wrong when examined at any scale and from any perspective whatsoever. This lawsuit looks to me like it would serve very nicely as a type specimen.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:08 AM   #2636
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by Dave Rogers View Post
There's a figure of speech I've come across often in the CT forum: "Fractally wrong." It refers to a belief, or belief system, that is not just wrong when viewed on a particular scale or from a particular perspective, but that remains wrong when examined at any scale and from any perspective whatsoever. This lawsuit looks to me like it would serve very nicely as a type specimen.
Because it's a depressingly good debate tactic. When someone is so wrong that just getting them back to "wrong within normal parameters" would be like teaching them a college course or two, and even then all that you would accomplish is getting back to point where you could talk to them like a normally wrong person, what's the bloody point?
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:28 AM   #2637
Modified
Philosopher

To save time, they can just investigate the ones with neckbeards.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd January 2021, 09:54 AM   #2638
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by No Other View Post
Wrong. It was 20% of the rioters who were charged with a crime for the Capitol invasion... NOT 20% of the capitol invaders. 140 have been charged which means you are talking about 28 people. Because 28 people are former or current military... you want to "clean house". And you call this Right wing extremism but you are level headed and the voice of reason.
So, is it your supposition that military and former military are less likely to have been equally represented among those who were not charged? Is that an assertion to support the military? Have you thought that through?

Old 22nd January 2021, 10:44 AM   #2639
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Colbert is going to have a field day with that. He's a huge Tolkein nerd.
(trivia) I just read a Trivia note on iMDB stating that he had a cameo in one of the Hobbit movies.
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:47 AM   #2640
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
(trivia) I just read a Trivia note on iMDB stating that he had a cameo in one of the Hobbit movies.
He has a quick cameo as the Lake Town Spy in the Desolation of Smaug.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events