IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:16 AM   #1
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Tell me about Flash

As announced long ago, Flash Player will not be supported after Dec. 31 (what it calls its "end of life date,") and will actually block Flash content starting Jan. 12. What does this mean for the user? What will web sites no longer be able to provide, and what will I no longer be able to see? Or is this already so obsolete that it's rarely used now?
https://www.adobe.com/products/flash...d-of-life.html

Last edited by Bob001; 23rd December 2020 at 10:17 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:19 AM   #2
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Thought this was a superhero origin story thread.

Doesn't it belong in computers?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:33 AM   #3
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

I have had flash completely uninstalled for years, and it is maybe once a month that I encounter something that needed it. And nothing I couldn't get elsewhere.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 10:42 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

What does this mean for the user?
Not much. A lot of browsers don't support flash by default, and a lot of sites have already stopped using it anyway.

What will web sites no longer be able to provide,
Flash content. Typically some sort of graphical thing. Either a small video clip or an interactive menu or something like that. But there are many other, better, ways to provide these things now.

and what will I no longer be able to see?
Flash content.

Or is this already so obsolete that it's rarely used now?
Pretty much this.

But you can easily experiment. Just look up how to turn off Flash support in your browser of choice, and see if you notice anything different about your Internet experience over the next few weeks.

If your Internet experience includes a lot of flash-using websites, you should start seeing lots of really obvious empty spaces on websites, with a little jigsaw-puzzle icon in the middle, and a message along the lines of the content in that space needing a Flash player and do you want to enable/download/install one?

But I'm betting that in the current year you probably won't notice much of a difference at all. Chrome stopped enabling flash by default some time ago, and I can't remember when I last saw a "you need flash" message on a website.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 01:03 PM   #5
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

There are a few sites with flash games that will lose all their content, but unless you were one of those people that liked to play the older flash-based web games then there won't be a lot of change.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 02:23 PM   #6
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Savior of the universe. He saved every one of us.

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd December 2020, 03:25 PM   #7
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Flash died as an important technique when Apple decided to not allow it on their platform, which was several years ago. It has always been problematic from a security point of view. Most of what it delivered can be and is been done with JavaScript and CSS3 these days, and it is what annoys you about what is happening on all these commercial sites.
Old 29th December 2020, 12:37 PM   #8
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

You are forgetting about corporations that have business critical applications that use flash and haven't updated or replaced the flash using application yet.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 08:55 PM   #9
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
You are forgetting about corporations that have business critical applications that use flash and haven't updated or replaced the flash using application yet.

Are you talking to Adobe?
Old 30th December 2020, 12:14 AM   #10
a_unique_person

No. Corporations that use applications that require flash.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 11:26 AM   #11
plague311
Great minds think...

If some place is still running programs that use Flash, as a corporation or company, with almost a decade of knowledge that it was going to die, then that is on them. They should be scolded.

I tell my clients the same thing when a program that's 10+ years old is dying. You can either pay for it now and have a pretty painless transition, or wait until it becomes a fire because the software is EOL'd.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 11:34 AM   #12
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

"Let me do that thing where it's my successor's budget breaking instead of mine--that's that last bit, right?"

Old 30th December 2020, 11:49 AM   #13
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
There are a few sites with flash games that will lose all their content, but unless you were one of those people that liked to play the older flash-based web games then there won't be a lot of change.
I guess Boom Boom vollyeball is gone then. The game was basically Pong (for those old enough to remember Pong) with better graphics, i.e. bikini-clad cartoon girls playing volleyball. There was even a cheat code that would change it to topless cartoon girls. This game was probably the peak of Flash technology.

Last edited by CORed; 30th December 2020 at 11:51 AM.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 12:30 PM   #14
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Childlike Empress View Post
Flash died as an important technique when Apple decided to not allow it on their platform, which was several years ago. It has always been problematic from a security point of view. Most of what it delivered can be and is been done with JavaScript and CSS3 these days, and it is what annoys you about what is happening on all these commercial sites.
I can remember a fair number of websites that implemented in Flash, stuff that could just as well been done with html forms, with or even without a little bit of Javascript.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 07:53 AM   #15
Matthew Best
Philosopher

One of the main tools we use at work (I work at a TV station) for ingesting and checking material has been down all day, because it runs on Flash. This has been a huge hassle and I've had to install and old version of Internet Explorer in order to get it to work.

I did point out that Flash was going to stop working about a year ago, and I kind of assumed that the IT department would (a) know about this and (b) do something about it. Turns out I was wrong!
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 02:34 PM   #16
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
One of the main tools we use at work (I work at a TV station) for ingesting and checking material has been down all day, because it runs on Flash. This has been a huge hassle and I've had to install and old version of Internet Explorer in order to get it to work.

I did point out that Flash was going to stop working about a year ago, and I kind of assumed that the IT department would (a) know about this and (b) do something about it. Turns out I was wrong!
It's not a resolution by any means but one of the companies I do IT for needed a box that would run flash. I just spun up a virtual machine for the guy on VMWare Workstation that ran Windows XP...not to give anyone ideas on how to keep using Flash.

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2021, 05:09 PM   #17
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Is there a good place to get step by step instructions for setting up a VMWare Windows XP? I've tried to before but I wind up losing track of what to do next.

I don't want to use Flash, I want to play 16-bit games that don't work on 64 bit Windows 10. Stuff like Full Tilt Pinball.

Old 12th January 2021, 07:02 PM   #18
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Is there a good place to get step by step instructions for setting up a VMWare Windows XP? I've tried to before but I wind up losing track of what to do next.

I don't want to use Flash, I want to play 16-bit games that don't work on 64 bit Windows 10. Stuff like Full Tilt Pinball.
It's been awhile. Tracking down some form of ISO would be the toughest part, I'm pretty sure a buddy of mine had the disks when I made that one. They paid for VMWare because they were a business, but I think there are cheap free players, or maybe Workstation is free. Like I said, it's been awhile lol.

I'd think there might be an image on github somewhere. I can take a look a bit later.

Old 13th January 2021, 07:01 AM   #19
Matthew Best
Philosopher

We ended up installing an old version of Internet Explorer, and then installing an old version of the Flash plug in so our essential software would run.

In case you're wondering, I work for Viacom/CBS.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2021, 07:15 AM   #20
plague311
Great minds think...

We ended up installing an old version of Internet Explorer, and then installing an old version of the Flash plug in so our essential software would run.

Wow. As a guy that works in the IT industry it has been easier to get money, but we're usually last on the list. We've needed to upgrade our financial software since I got here almost 2 years ago, and I still haven't been given the green light.

Old 17th January 2021, 06:49 PM   #21
a_unique_person

I think there's more places using Flash than would like to admit.
Old 18th January 2021, 12:10 AM   #22
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by theprestige
and what will I no longer be able to see?
Flash content.

I think its disgusting they think they can tell people what they can and cant use....

I have used and enjoyed flash,java and shockwave for years....... Im glad im on an older browser that lets me do WHAT I WANT!! (IE6 (MyIE2))

Thankfully I can still play flash games.... I would not like it if I couldnt.... THIS IS MY COMPUTER!!!

Last edited by Dude111; 18th January 2021 at 12:12 AM.
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 07:23 AM   #23
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I think its disgusting they think they can tell people what they can and cant use....

I have used and enjoyed flash,java and shockwave for years....... Im glad im on an older browser that lets me do WHAT I WANT!! (IE6 (MyIE2))

Thankfully I can still play flash games.... I would not like it if I couldnt.... THIS IS MY COMPUTER!!!
It's technically the company that is telling you not to use it. It's a security nightmare, and causes more problems than it solves. I'm glad you're standing up to the man though. It's a weird hill to fight on, in my humble opinion, but we each have our battles.

Old 18th January 2021, 07:43 AM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, it's a few days past the hard deadline. I haven't come across any stories of business being shut down, or even of people being mildly inconvenienced.
Old 18th January 2021, 01:49 PM   #25
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I have modern software, I browse the Internet and not noticed anything. Have I missed anything? Any links to sites that do not work as advertised?
Old 18th January 2021, 01:54 PM   #26
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Well, it's a few days past the hard deadline. I haven't come across any stories of business being shut down, or even of people being mildly inconvenienced.
Hello? Have you got me on ignore or something?
Old 18th January 2021, 01:59 PM   #27
plague311
Great minds think...

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I have modern software, I browse the Internet and not noticed anything. Have I missed anything? Any links to sites that do not work as advertised?
I think someone mentioned upthread, but there really aren't many websites that run on Flash. Most have switched over to HTML5 or something similar. The death of Flash has been ongoing for at least 5 years that I can remember, probably longer.

Old 18th January 2021, 02:06 PM   #28
catsmate
No longer the 1

Sweet effing jeebus but why was this not fixed well in advance?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 05:52 PM   #29
a_unique_person

Harman is providing a custom browser for companies that still need Flash.
Old 18th January 2021, 08:36 PM   #30
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Thats good to know!! (Lets hope they dont ruin it somehow)
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th January 2021, 09:04 PM   #31
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
That is a question I have asked several times. So far I've had no sensible answer.

My best guess is that people in IT kept hoping that by the time Flash was switched off, we'd have a whole different set of software and the element that uses Flash would be obsolete already.

As the switch-off got closer, the thinking appears to have been that if we simply failed to update browsers, we could carry on using it until the software is finally replaced. And indeed, that is, in a way, what we've done (reverted to an old version of IE and instituted a patch that prevents Microsoft updates from pushing out the Adobe kill switch).

This would be embarrassing in a company that consisted of me as a sole trader. In a company with 24,000 employees it's a bit more embarrassing I would say.
Old 19th January 2021, 07:50 AM   #32
plague311
Great minds think...

This would be embarrassing in a company that consisted of me as a sole trader. In a company with 24,000 employees it's a bit more embarrassing I would say.
I would have to agree there. I can't imagine that TV stations have been doing worse off during a pandemic given that all people are doing is sitting at home watching TV. They should have the means to get new software or get a solid work around.

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
Harman is providing a custom browser for companies that still need Flash.
That is helpful!

Old 19th January 2021, 08:03 AM   #33
Armitage72
Philosopher

My mother emailed me because her favorite online jigsaw puzzle website no longer works. She asked me if I could find her ones that still work, rather than try to look herself.
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 11:13 AM   #34
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
You gotta update your corpspeak module:

Installing a compatible browser WAS the fix. It came in ahead of schedule and under budget, netting the VP making that decision a handsome cash bonus, and the people that actually did the work a solid pat on the head (maybe even a hearty "Good job, old boy!", if they were lucky).
Old 19th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #35
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by plague311 View Post
I would have to agree there. I can't imagine that TV stations have been doing worse off during a pandemic given that all people are doing is sitting at home watching TV.
Unfortunately, while viewing figures are up, advertising revenue is down. And since advertising revenue is the only one of those two metrics that anyone actually cares about, TV stations have, in fact, been worse off.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:42 AM   #36
plague311
Great minds think...

Unfortunately, while viewing figures are up, advertising revenue is down. And since advertising revenue is the only one of those two metrics that anyone actually cares about, TV stations have, in fact, been worse off.
Noted, I learned something new today!

Old 21st January 2021, 12:33 PM   #37
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

It helps me to think of viewing figures as production numbers, with advertising revenue as sales numbers.

Old 21st January 2021, 12:39 PM   #38
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Armitage72
My mother emailed me because her favorite online jigsaw puzzle website no longer works. She asked me if I could find her ones that still work, rather than try to look herself.

Do you know the link buddy?? I like sites like that
Old 21st January 2021, 02:30 PM   #39
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Do you know the link buddy?? I like sites like that

These are the ones I sent her.

https://www.dailyjigsawpuzzles.net/
https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/
https://www.onlinejigsawpuzzles.net/
Armitage72 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:10 PM   #40
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Muchos Gracious

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet