ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Coronavirus , Sweden incidents , Sweden issues

Old Today, 07:31 AM   #2961
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Svenskarnas oro för pandemin stiger brant i spåren av den ökade smittspridningen. Det visar DN/Ipsos novembermätning. Andelen som känner stor oro för vårdens kapacitet är större nu än under den förra toppen i våras. Samtidigt sjunker förtroendet för myndigheterna.
DN/Ipsos: Stigande oro för att vården inte klarar smittan (DagensNyheter.se, Nov. 25, 2020)
Swedes' concerns about the pandemic are rising sharply in the wake of the increased spread of infection, according to DN / Ipso's November survey. The proportion of people who are very concerned about the health-care system's capacity is larger now than during the previous peak last spring. At the same time, confidence in the authorities is declining.
DagensNyheter/Ipsos: Increasing worries that the health-care system can’t handle the infection

At the presse briefing this afternoon, Tegnell was still talking about a ”decreasing increase” of the number of new cases …

Quote:
Den andra coronavågen har ännu inte nått sin topp, enligt statsepidemiolog Anders Tegnell.
Men redan nu är vårdpersonal under kraftig press – och på Karolinska påminner de nya 12,5-timmarspassen om krisen i våras.
Flera befarar dessutom att personalflykten fortsätter.
– Man brukar säga att vårdpersonalen går på knäna, men vi kryper just nu. Vi är jätteuppgivna, säger Carina Lenngren, förhandlingsansvarig för Kommunal på Karolinska universitetssjukhuset. Personalen befaras sluta – när andra vågen är här (Expressen.se, Nov. 26, 2020)
The second corona wave has not yet reached its peak, according to national epidemiologist Anders Tegnell. But even now, health-care staff are under strong pressure - and at Karolinska hospital, the new 12.5-hour shifts remind people of the crisis this spring.
Several also fear that the flight of staff will continue.
- They say that the hospital staff are ’walking on their knees’, but we are crawling right now. We are in despair, says Carina Lenngren, head of negotiations for municipal workers at Karolinska University Hospital.
It is feared that staff will stop – with the second wave here

And the numbers are expected to rise until some time in December:
FHM: I december når vi toppen av kurvan (Expressen.se, Nov. 26, 2020)
The Public Health Agency: We will reach the peak of the curve in December
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 07:59 AM   #2962
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Nursing homes:
Quote:
* The official regulator of Sweden's care system says not one of the 21 regions took full responsibility to make sure all patients got individually appropriate care.
* One in five patients did not get examined by a doctor, which is a breach of the rules.
* Director-General Sofia Wallström says what they have found is "unacceptable".
Health watchdog finds "serious shortcomings" in Covid-19 care home report (RadioSweden.se, Nov. 24, 2020)
"Stupidity renders itself invisible by assuming very large proportions. Completely unreasonable claims are irrefutable. Ni-en-leh pointed out that a philosopher might get into trouble by claiming that two times two makes five, but he does not risk much by claiming that two times two makes shoe polish." B. Brecht
"The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions." K. Marx
dann is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 08:22 AM   #2963
dann
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
Yes. Foot and Mouth can travel as much as two miles across country on the wind and infect animals at that distance. That's true airborne spread and I think it's a mistake to use the word "airborne" for aerosol spread, because when people hear "airborne" they often imagine out-doors wind-borne infection and that's a pretty scary concept which isn't actually the case here. Loose terminology is causing significant confusion.

I don't think terminology is a big problem. I think airborne should be used in the current situation, but it should of course be added that it is almost only relevant indoors. Telling people that the virus is not airborne, which is what they did in Sweden, will make people think that they are safe in indoor settings as long as they keep a distance.
If somebody misunderstands airborne to mean that they might get infected outdoors, they may become afraid of venturing outside, but that misunderstanding is easy to correct and doesn't harm them much.
If they think that they are safe inside as long as they practice social distancing, it helps spread the infection. (In particular if they are also told that face masks aren't really necessary because ... not airborne!)

Originally Posted by Rolfe View Post
There's a paradox. I don't trust the village Co-op. Small, narrow aisles, and people didn't respect the single-file one-way system the only time I went in. Including the staff, who treated me as a nuisance because I was trying to distance.

Do you really think that the concentration of corona aerosols in your local Co-op could build up to the extent that people could get infected? I mean, it's not a place where people spend hours like in restaurants, bars or at choir practice, is it? Would passing somebody in an aisle, even a small narrow one, pose any danger if they don't cough on you?
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #2964
Rolfe
Anti-homeopathy illuminati member

It's probably not that dangerous but it's a small shop in comparison to the big supermarkets and if an employee was in there all day talking and breathing out aerosol it's possible the air-space could become infective.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events