IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags Brexit

Closed Thread
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:03 AM   #601
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Tolls View Post
In a wrecked economy it doesn't much matter.
Either way we'll all be worse off.
Yes, but that pain would be spread a little more evenly.

I don't believe that you believe that the results of a post brexit tory government will be the same a post brexit labour one. They just won't

Quote:
I don't care if, under Corbyn, I get to eat a whole rat, rather than half of one under Johnson. I'll still be eating rat.

That's madness, Between half a rat and a rat, I'll take whole one. So would you. Either way you're eating rat. With a whole one, you won't be malnourished.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:04 AM   #602
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
[Corbyn] should show leadership and allow another person to take the helm of such a government.
The others could also show leadership and tolerate Corbyn. It's as if they (i) don't believe that all he would do is delay brexit and call an election (which is odd since he "doesn't have the numbers" to do anything else), or (ii) they are scared he will be really popular in office (which is odd since polls indicate he is a lot less popular than Johnson)
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:05 AM   #603
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Between half a rat and a rat, I'll take whole one. So would you.
Er, I think I would rather eat half a rat.

In other words I would "like" not eating the other rat half.
Francesca R is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:06 AM   #604
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't see a GNU hanging round for the length of time needed to put together a referendum.
It would require everybody (other than the Tories) working together. Everybody other than Jeremy Corbyn seems prepared to do so.

So yes, you're right. Without Corbyn, I think it would be possible, because most MPs seem to recognise this as the crisis that it is, and that a second referendum with a deal actually on the table is likely the only way out of it at all.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:06 AM   #605
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Francesca R View Post

The metaphor is becoming unreasonably stretched.

I don't think "It's gong to be bad so it may as well be as bad as it's possible to be" is reasonable. And yet it's what I'm being told.

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:06 AM   #606
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles

But if you had a whole rat, you'd have the choice of leaving the other half on the side of the plate.

Dave

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:07 AM   #607
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

No, but it's a lot of reasons he'd be a better PM than the current one.
Since I've already said that he'd be a better PM than Johnson, I don't know why you're directing that at me - especially not while admitting that what you posted in reply to me isn't actually a reply to me.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:08 AM   #608
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Since I've already said that he'd be a better PM than Johnson, I don't know why you're directing that at me - especially not while admitting that what you posted in reply to me isn't actually a reply to me.

No, it was mitigation of your point.

i.e. In spite of all you say, even if it's true, he's still not as bad as Boris. So why is he being painted as such?

Old 2nd October 2019, 07:10 AM   #609
Francesca R
Girl

And yet, for reasons I don't understand, apparently [Johnson and Corbyn are] as bad as each other.
In simple terms Johnson is too far right and Corbyn is too far left.

If you are left or right you will see that as meaning one is surely better than the other. Or you'll try to say that one of them is close the the centre than the other. But with respect to the latter relative to the political preferences of UK voters that's probably gonna be Johnson . . . .
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:12 AM   #610
Francesca R
Girl

I don't think "It's gong to be bad so it may as well be as bad as it's possible to be" is reasonable. And yet it's what I'm being told.
OK that's not how I read it (from Tolls) but I dunno.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:14 AM   #611
3point14
Pi

Which is madness and utterly dependent on the Overton Window.

(I also find that the whole left/right thing a useless and decisive thing. To attempt to define the whole of one's views on absolutely everything as a point in one dimension is madness. I, you, and everyone else are much more complex than that)

Quote:
If you are left or right you will see that as meaning one is surely better than the other. Or you'll try to say that one of them is close the the centre than the other. But with respect to the latter relative to the political preferences of UK voters that's probably gonna be Johnson . . . .

The centre moves. To talk of one being too far in one direction or the other is pointless. I would prefer to look at policy proposals and check them against the real world rather than some constantly moving target of 'centrism'

Last edited by 3point14; 2nd October 2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:46 AM   #612
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
But are saying they are as bad as each other. If we look at it as an equation the two sides are no where near the same. Corbyn is for public spending, Johnson against it, Corbyn is for workers rights, Johnson is against them, Corbyn (in your opinion) will delivery a no deal Brexit, Johnson will deliver (In my opinion) a no deal brexit.

So the no deal Brexit cancels it out and you are left with the rest of the stuff. The rest of the stuff to me on Corbyn's side (especially some of the recent policies enacted at conference) is much better for the country that what Johnson would allow us to have.
After a no-deal Brexit, none of the other stuff really matters.

Tory bribes spending plans go out of the window because we simply can no longer afford them.

Labour promises are equally unaffordable although I suppose there'll be a far greater range of failing industries for a Jeremy Corbyn led government to subsidise - it's a shame that they'll have no money left to do it.

Workers' rights are only a factor when there are people in employment, promises to increse public spending is all well and good but in an economy suffering from stagflation then simply maintaining expenditure in real terms is a challenge. We have the 1970s as an example of how such a situation is likely to play out.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:51 AM   #613
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
After a no-deal Brexit, none of the other stuff really matters.
I think that's just not accurate.

The two would be very different. Neither would be good but I'm damn sure I know which one I prefer.

That you think they both will be the same is the point of disagreement between us. I think your position regarding that is just not logical. Of course they'll be different.

Old 2nd October 2019, 07:55 AM   #614
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The Economist seems fairly correct that the country has the worst PM and the worst opposition leader at the same time. If Corbyn wanted "national unity" there would not be the insistence that he leads it.

However, much as I would prefer a Swinson led caretaker government (or even a Clarke one), I would rather have the Corbyn version than none.
Unfortunately it seems that Jeremy Corbyn's insistence that he's Prime Minister means that we're not going to get a GNU - which in a nutshell is my main reason why I think he would make a terrible Prime Minister, he finds any kind of compromise, deviation or dissent from his chosen path impossible.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:05 AM   #615
Francesca R
Girl

Unfortunately it seems that Jeremy Corbyn's insistence that he's Prime Minister means that we're not going to get a GNU - which in a nutshell is my main reason why I think he would make a terrible Prime Minister, he finds any kind of compromise, deviation or dissent from his chosen path impossible.
Excluding brexit (which makes this rather irrelevant of course) I think I would prefer a Johnson government over a Corbyn one. On balance I suspect Corbyn is actually more opposed to no deal brexit than Johnson is which makes him better if all else was equal. But other Labour policies are IMO worse.

However the latter are not relevant to a Corbyn-led caretaker government that simply delays brexit and calls an election. He should not insist on leading it but by the same token the others should not rule out him leading it.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:07 AM   #616
3point14
Pi

Excluding brexit (which makes this rather irrelevant of course) I think I would prefer a Johnson government over a Corbyn one. On balance I suspect Corbyn is actually more opposed to no deal brexit than Johnson is which makes him better if all else was equal. But other Labour policies are IMO worse.
Which ones?

Quote:
However the latter are not relevant to a Corbyn-led caretaker government that simply delays brexit and calls an election. He should not insist on leading it but by the same token the others should not rule out him leading it.

Old 2nd October 2019, 08:15 AM   #617
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I think that's just not accurate.

The two would be very different. Neither would be good but I'm damn sure I know which one I prefer.

That you think they both will be the same is the point of disagreement between us. I think your position regarding that is just not logical. Of course they'll be different.
Compared to the effects of Brexit, and especially a no-deal Brexit, everything else is a rounding error IMO.

In any case, after Brexit, and especially a no-deal Brexit, all plans goes out of the window because any government will have its hands merely firefighting the economy and attempting to maintain public order.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:20 AM   #618
3point14
Pi

Compared to the effects of Brexit, and especially a no-deal Brexit, everything else is a rounding error IMO.
I really don't think so. I don't envisage the country being so on it's uppers that policy changes at parliamentary level have zero effect.

What you seem, to me, to be saying is that after a no deal brexit the government will have no significant or noticeable effect on the state of the country. I can't accept that, I think that's just not accurate.

Quote:
In any case, after Brexit, and especially a no-deal Brexit, all plans goes out of the window because any government will have its hands merely firefighting the economy and attempting to maintain public order.
I don't accept that. I don't accept that who s in power will have zero effect on the lives of everyone.

Old 2nd October 2019, 08:22 AM   #619
Worm
Illuminator

UK Proposals for a new protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland :

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rthern-ireland

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:26 AM   #620
Tolls
Philosopher

Personally I don't think he's too far left (at least on most things). He's a bit unreconstructed 1970s in his views, but a lot of what came out of the Labour conference was fairly reasonable.

I just don't think he's particularly competent.

OK that's not how I read it (from Tolls) but I dunno.
I think you read it the way I intended.

I don't want to be eating rat at all.
So I'm not going to support someone who seems intent on having me eat rat. I don't actually care whether it's a whole one or not.

However...at least Corbyn is on the referendum route now, which is a massive plus point. However, however...I really don't trust him not to change his mind, or to throw his full weight behind Brexit in any campaign.
Tolls is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:28 AM   #621
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
UK Proposals for a new protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland :

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...rthern-ireland
As Nicola Sturgeon said a little while ago - 'designed to fail'. And predictably so.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:31 AM   #622
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't think so. I don't envisage the country being so on it's uppers that policy changes at parliamentary level have zero effect.
That's the way it felt in the 1970's.

If there's inflation and a stagnant or shrinking economy then any changes will be very marginal.

What you seem, to me, to be saying is that after a no deal brexit the government will have no significant or noticeable effect on the state of the country. I can't accept that, I think that's just not accurate.
After a no-deal Brexit any Boris Johnson or Jeremy Corbyn led government would effectively be passengers - but for different reasons. Boris would be a willing passenger, after all it's what he wants. Jeremy may be an unwilling passenger but his inability to change from 1970s thinking and his unwillingness and/or inability to compromise in any meaningful way means that he'll still be a passenger.

I don't accept that. I don't accept that who s in power will have zero effect on the lives of everyone.
I'm not saying that they'll have zero effect, just that the effect will have little or nothing to do with the campaign promises that they've made due to the economic and social turmoil.

As someone who is seemingly impervious to changing circumstances and incapable of compromise then Jeremy Corbyn doesn't seem like the kind of leader you'd want.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:33 AM   #623
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
As Nicola Sturgeon said a little while ago - 'designed to fail'. And predictably so.
Yup

Would Nicola Sturgeon allow herself to be ennobled and installed as GNU in chief ?
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:35 AM   #624
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

I'd say that's a major exaggeration. Things will be bad, but not so bad that the colour of the govt. will make no difference.

A 'rounding error' is where you express pi as 3.141 rather than 3.142
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:37 AM   #625
Francesca R
Girl

Personally I don't think he's too far left (at least on most things). He's a bit unreconstructed 1970s in his views, but a lot of what came out of the Labour conference was fairly reasonable.
I was thinking of writing that Johnson is not too far right, but incompetent, unfit for office, populist, opportunistic, self-serving etc. I don't really know enough of Corbyn to make those same conclusions, it is the far-leftness I disagree with.

Quote:
However...at least Corbyn is on the referendum route now, which is a massive plus point. However, however...I really don't trust him not to change his mind, or to throw his full weight behind Brexit in any campaign.
I think that the markets (which are interested in wealth not social justice or anything like that so it is not a judgment that should be recommended to voters) would prefer a Corbyn led temp government toppling Johnson's than this not happening. Probably they believe he would stop no deal and then get voted out. (I believe that as well--sure "trust" is a risk but on balance worth it)
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:41 AM   #626
Francesca R
Girl

Where are your predictions coming from?

I know everyone has "had enough of experts" but the IMF and the OECD think no deal is a -3% or -3.5% shock to economic output, and the Bank of England has moderated its previous -8% forecast to about -5.

(And the consensus among economy watchers / market types was too pessimistic in respect of the impact of a leave vote)
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:43 AM   #627
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I'm just talking about the part someone cited.
IOW you don't know which part nor who cited it.
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:44 AM   #628
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Where are your predictions coming from?
My well-upholstered rear
Old 2nd October 2019, 08:46 AM   #629
Francesca R
Girl

Well some folks will clearly feel a much worse impact than that. Some others won't notice at all. A few might be better off.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:03 AM   #630
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I was thinking of writing that Johnson is not too far right, but incompetent, unfit for office, populist, opportunistic, self-serving etc.
Can you really make that argument given how divorced from reality Johnson is? I mean all this over Prawn Cocktail crisps? Does he really have policies instead of vague ideas that have no resemblance to reality?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:15 AM   #631
Francesca R
Girl

Does that contradict my statement? Seems to be in line with it
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:18 AM   #632
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Does that contradict my statement? Seems to be in line with it
But how can you say how far right someone is in a situation like that?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:18 AM   #633
Francesca R
Girl

You can't which is the point really.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:31 AM   #634
Garrison
Philosopher

Its ridiculous how Johnson is still trying to act like he's holding all the cards in negotiating with the EU even when everyone can see his hand is actually just pages torn from a notebook with the word 'ace' scrawled on them.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:37 AM   #635
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Yup

Would Nicola Sturgeon allow herself to be ennobled and installed as GNU in chief ?
Vote to dissolve the Union and then E W and NI can ask to form a new one with Scotland?
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:47 AM   #636
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Regarding this temporary government nonsense its clear that the priority has to be preventing a no deal Brexit and Johnson cannot be trusted to do that.

Who leads the GNU is irrelevant in my mind. It probably should be Corbyn as thats the convention. And Swinson is an idiot child for insisting she won't back him.

Equally you would hope that if Corbyn couldn't get the numbers but someone else could then he would step aside but he is probably right not to say that at the moment.

None of the UK parties are coming out of this with much glory at the moment.

In the longer term, no matter what happens the problem doesnt go away. BoJo wins an election and forces no deal, Labour win an election and cant agree a deal that works and we end up in this limbo, or there is a hung parliament with the empty crisp packet Swinson blowing around trying to decide if she wants her rat fried or grilled.

Thank God Scotland, NI and Wales have an out if they want it, because this is going to kill England for a degeneration at least one way or another
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:53 AM   #637
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
No. I have been consistent throughout.

My question has always been "what existing law or precedent limits the advice the PM can give the Queen?" and the answers have always been of the form "the SC can limit the advice because the SC can" (duh!) and nobody can see that this doesn't answer the question.
Alternatively, what existing law said he could do what he did?

As we have tried to explain to you repeatedly that was the question put to the court. Does the existing law allow him to do this? and the answer came back, no it doesn't.

Thats the job of the SC to interpret and clarify the law.
Old 2nd October 2019, 09:59 AM   #638
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

oh and apparently parliament is going to be prorogued again next week for a Queens speech
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:08 AM   #639
Francesca R
Girl

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
Equally you would hope that if Corbyn couldn't get the numbers but someone else could then he would step aside but he is probably right not to say that at the moment.
I haven't seen the calculations about "getting the numbers" specifically any testing of what leader would be most likely to do that.

If it is clear that an individual would not get the numbers and someone else would then that individual is an idiot kid for insisting me me me. Conversely if someone is insisting another won't get the numbers purely because that someone will order their MPs not to vote for them then that individual is an idiot kid too.

It's a failed piss up in a brewery at the moment that makes Johnson actually look good.
Old 2nd October 2019, 10:48 AM   #640
lomiller
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by GlennB View Post
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. "

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Non-USA & General Politics