ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 4th March 2020, 03:30 PM   #1761
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by MetalPig View Post
I would put that checkbox *above* the signature. If they are like me they'd think they are done filling out the form when they get to the signature.
Mm, maybe.

I'm doing something different now. I'm trying to create my first Distribution List. I've got a set of instructions to follow. I've gone into Exchange Admin and created the list, correctly according to the instructions. The next step is to add custom attributes in Active Directory. If I use Find... I can see the group, but I don't get the Attribute Editor tab. I only get the Attribute Editor tab if I find the group in the OU. But the group is not there.

Okay, while composing this post, I managed to ask someone and apparently I need to close and reopen Active Directory before the group shows in the OU. That's a bit frustrating, but okay.

I still haven't received the Letter of Offer to take up my new permanent position yet. And I'm still waiting for my security clearance. But I'm getting there.

My mom told me she tries never to make fun of people for not knowing something.
- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th March 2020, 07:00 PM   #1762
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

What a time to be in this role.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd March 2020, 04:06 PM   #1763
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
What a time to be in this role.
I'm back at work after some time off (see the SWOYMRN thread for details) and can confirm that **** is crazy right now.

- Randall Munroe
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 07:28 AM   #1764
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I've mentioned several times in my thread that my user base is, let me be charitable here, and just say "not comfortable with change." These are people who will literally shut down if an icon isn't on the same place on their desktop.

Take a wild guess how well they are handling working from home?
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 07:58 AM   #1765
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I'm dealing with a software developer who's forgotten the concept of authenticating to a service in order to enjoy the benefits of that service.

"I don't have access!"

"What happens if you log in?"

"..."
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 07:59 AM   #1766
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

And the first users who printed something to the office and wants someone to print it to her at her house just called in.

Yeah that's not happening.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 03:00 PM   #1767
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
I've mentioned several times in my thread that my user base is, let me be charitable here, and just say "not comfortable with change." These are people who will literally shut down if an icon isn't on the same place on their desktop.

Take a wild guess how well they are handling working from home?

About as well as they handled the upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8?

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 03:03 PM   #1768
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So I'm working from home right now. I am really missing my multiple screens, but I'm kind of getting by with Desktops.

I have also discovered that you can have a laptop or a lap dog, but not both.

- Randall Munroe
Old 23rd March 2020, 03:31 PM   #1769
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
So I'm working from home right now. I am really missing my multiple screens, but I'm kind of getting by with Desktops.

I have also discovered that you can have a laptop or a lap dog, but not both.

If you hogtie the dog you can put it in your lap and set the laptop on the dog.

Kidding aside, I don't think I've ever used my laptop on my lap while at home.

I have it on the table (on a stand which lifts it up so I don't get a stiff neck.)

I have a wireless Logitech keyboard which finds its way onto my lap from time to time, and a wireless Logitech trackball which ends up in all sorts of places.

Largely depending on where the cat happens to be lying on the table.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd March 2020, 03:39 PM   #1770
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Unfortunately I don't have a place where I can use it in an ergonomically friendly way so I too have it set on a side table in front of my easy chair. It's not great, but it's okay. If I turn out needing to work from home on a regular basis, I'll definitely need to set something up properly.

The dog has relocated to the couch now, so that he can look out the window so he knows when he needs to bark at the neighbours.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th March 2020, 08:56 AM   #1771
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

So over the weekend it was agreed with the head of my company and the head of the company we provide IT Support that it would be in everyone's best interest if we minimize onsite troublecalls during the outbreak and onsite calls would be reserved for emergencies. An e-mail stating this was sent everyone in the company, outlying what was and wasn't considered an emergency.

So far the following tickets have been added to my cue in the last 24 hours.

"Printer toner is out and I have to walk to the next room over. Please send someone out ASAP."

"I need someone to organize the and rerun the wires under my desk."

"I need an IT ONSITE (Yes it was specified in the ticket and in caps) to install Outlook on my machine."
Old 24th March 2020, 03:30 PM   #1772
catsmate
No longer the 1

Unfortunately I don't have a place where I can use it in an ergonomically friendly way so I too have it set on a side table in front of my easy chair. It's not great, but it's okay. If I turn out needing to work from home on a regular basis, I'll definitely need to set something up properly.

The dog has relocated to the couch now, so that he can look out the window so he knows when he needs to bark at the neighbours.
Aren't your homeworking spaces subject to the same workplace laws as offices? Here ours must be inspected for compliance. All kit is provided, desks, chairs, ICT gear, lamps et cetera.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 03:43 PM   #1773
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

And the first users who printed something to the office and wants someone to print it to her at her house just called in.

Yeah that's not happening.
Had a “setup my home printer” ticket. FFS
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 03:44 PM   #1774
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Kitchen bench the moment while housework.
Old 24th March 2020, 04:44 PM   #1775
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post

I have it on the table (on a stand which lifts it up so I don't get a stiff neck.)

I have a wireless Logitech keyboard which finds its way onto my lap from time to time, and a wireless Logitech trackball which ends up in all sorts of places.

It's a cat. You have a mouse... What more can I say.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 04:57 PM   #1776
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Aren't your homeworking spaces subject to the same workplace laws as offices? Here ours must be inspected for compliance. All kit is provided, desks, chairs, ICT gear, lamps et cetera.
Ideally, yes, but in these circumstances we have had a massive increase in the number of people working from home - literally thousands - and there is no way anyone has the resources to check all of that. Our infrastructure is groaning under the sudden massive increase in remote traffic.

It's okay. I have been trained as a WH&S inspector (though it was quite a few years ago) so I personally have enough knowledge of ergonomics to be able to set up my workspace, such as it is, as good as it can be.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th March 2020, 05:05 PM   #1777
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

ERROR MESSAGES PEOPLE!

Give us a little bit of information about the problem you're having, or you're just wasting everybody's time.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th March 2020, 05:57 PM   #1778
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Arth, since you seem to be online, can you take care of my computer related issue, please?
Thanks.

The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th March 2020, 06:56 PM   #1779
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

You know what also annoys me? When a technician and a customer are having a back-and-forth email conversation, and the Service Desk is ccd in on each message. Every message autopolls a new incident. We have a system where replies to autogenerated emails are automatically appended to the original incident, but when the back-and-forth message don't include the incident number in the subject line of the message, our system has no idea the emails are related. We either have to find the original incident and link each one, or just close them saying "no further action required by Service Desk". I prefer the latter.

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th March 2020, 07:26 PM   #1780
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

"Dear Service Desk
I am unable to access <system> can you help please.
Thanks Robbie"

Our backlog of emails would be halved if people exercised a little thought before sending us emails. Just phone us! The wait time on the phone is ten minutes, but the wait time for an email is two and a half days. Yet most of the emails we have are marked "Urgent". Or "URGENT!!!".

- Randall Munroe
Old 24th March 2020, 09:20 PM   #1781
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

"Dear Service Desk
I am unable to access <system> can you help please.
Thanks Robbie"

Our backlog of emails would be halved if people exercised a little thought before sending us emails. Just phone us! The wait time on the phone is ten minutes, but the wait time for an email is two and a half days. Yet most of the emails we have are marked "Urgent". Or "URGENT!!!".
Before reaching out to a cow orker everyone, including myself, must take a deep breath and ask themselves if their perceived need really is a business need in this radically new and changing landscape of priorities. Some solutions to problems that can wait could just be making unnecessary work and new problems.
Old 24th March 2020, 09:48 PM   #1782
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Before reaching out to a cow orker everyone, including myself, must take a deep breath and ask themselves if their perceived need really is a business need in this radically new and changing landscape of priorities. Some solutions to problems that can wait could just be making unnecessary work and new problems.
In this case <system> is our high security clearance restricted environment and is considered business critical in all cases.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th March 2020, 02:17 AM   #1783
Wudang
BOFH

You know what also annoys me? When a technician and a customer are having a back-and-forth email conversation, and the Service Desk is ccd in on each message. Every message autopolls a new incident. We have a system where replies to autogenerated emails are automatically appended to the original incident, but when the back-and-forth message don't include the incident number in the subject line of the message, our system has no idea the emails are related. We either have to find the original incident and link each one, or just close them saying "no further action required by Service Desk". I prefer the latter.
Oh I'd be closing those as "user training required".

The "with a cattle prod" is silent.
Old 25th March 2020, 03:00 AM   #1784
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

I'm there with you bro.

Slight difference though, I was the first one kicked out.

"Tell us everything that goes wrong"

Went home, installed Citrix on linux and everything worked perfectly.

Seriously Citrix, I want to have your baby, everyone should be using your stuff.

Been happily grinding through my work ever since.

The only side effect for me, my team is sending a million emails an hour until we can get some kind of team chat up and running.

Sorry Arth, I'd help if I could, but I have a magnificently appointed study with two 27 inch monitors, and two very happy dogs at my feet.

It does not suck to be me right now.

Old 25th March 2020, 03:49 AM   #1785
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post

It's a cat. You have a mouse... What more can I say.

You weren't reading carefully enough.

I don't use a mouse. I have a trackball. One of these, as it happens ...

As I said, I can use it all sorts of places. Including on top of the cat, if need should arise.

They're more attracted to the keyboard, anyway. It gets them more of a reaction out of me when they walk around on it.

Which is one reason it spends more time in my lap than they do. They can stretch out on the table and get their petting, and I can do my typing on my lap.

Everybody's happy.

Old 25th March 2020, 04:23 AM   #1786
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

You weren't reading carefully enough.

I don't use a mouse. I have a trackball. One of these, as it happens ...

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...b3554ccbc2.jpg

As I said, I can use it all sorts of places. Including on top of the cat, if need should arise.

They're more attracted to the keyboard, anyway. It gets them more of a reaction out of me when they walk around on it.

Which is one reason it spends more time in my lap than they do. They can stretch out on the table and get their petting, and I can do my typing on my lap.

Everybody's happy.
Meh. Cats are more your broad-picture creatures. It's a mouse, generically speaking. It will be dealt with as such. As for the keyboard, you play with them if they play with it (I see you spotted that). And you are a walking life-support system for cat-food, and a free scritching machine. You are being played, sir!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 25th March 2020 at 04:25 AM. Reason: apostrophe
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 07:00 AM   #1787
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Meh. Cats are more your broad-picture creatures. It's a mouse, generically speaking. It will be dealt with as such. As for the keyboard, you play with them if they play with it (I see you spotted that). And you are a walking life-support system for cat-food, and a free scritching machine. You are being played, sir!

True, but I don't have to take them out for walks every day.

Old 25th March 2020, 07:39 AM   #1788
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

ERROR MESSAGES PEOPLE!

Give us a little bit of information about the problem you're having, or you're just wasting everybody's time.
So much this.

All of my troubleshooting conversations go something like this:

"Hi!" says the user with the problem.

"...," say I, waiting for them to explain why they've attracted my attention.

"Hello," I say, half an hour later, when they still haven't spoken up.

"I'm having a problem with X," they say, another half hour after that.

"What are you trying to do, what happens when you try, and what's the error message you get?"

"I'm trying to upload Y."

"Okay, but how are you trying to upload Y? What's the actual command you're issuing? Upload Y to where? What happens when you do this? What's the error message?"

"I'm using curl."

"I mean, what is the actual curl command you're using. And what is the error message?"

Three hours later, after the workday is done, they tell me the actual curl command. I still don't know the error message.

Ethical dilemma: With the actual curl command, I have enough info to track down the error in the logs. Do I go ahead and tell them what's gone wrong and how they can fix it? Or do I let it ride until they come through with the error message themselves?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 07:55 AM   #1789
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Yeah I seriously don't know what I'm going to do with all the freetime I'll have if I ever get trouble tickets that aren't stream of consciousness, all caps "MY COMPUTER IS BROKEN AND NOT WORKING CAN YOU FIX IT?"

I honestly don't think people outside of the IT field fully appreciate how much of our time is spent just getting people to tell us what the problem is.
Old 25th March 2020, 08:06 AM   #1790
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I honestly don't think people outside of the IT field fully appreciate how much of our time is spent just getting people to tell us what the problem is.
I think this is one of the reasons I feel such empathy for IT folks, we have the exact same problem in legal. People come in who don't know if they have a problem or not, feel like legal should be in the loop, but don't know why, and then give us the story of their life so we can understand why this purchase order needs to be looked at again. Luckily, I bill by the hour.

<insert pointless attempt at humor where I make a request for help on something that I should be able to do on my own>

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 08:29 AM   #1791
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah I seriously don't know what I'm going to do with all the freetime I'll have if I ever get trouble tickets that aren't stream of consciousness, all caps "MY COMPUTER IS BROKEN AND NOT WORKING CAN YOU FIX IT?"

The frustrating thing for me is, if you just run your salutation and detailed problem description all at once, I can start fixing it immediately as soon as my attention swings your way.

I assume people want me to fix their problems as quickly as I can. But that assumption is laughably wrong.
Old 25th March 2020, 09:49 AM   #1792
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The frustrating thing for me is, if you just run your salutation and detailed problem description all at once, I can start fixing it immediately as soon as my attention swings your way.

I assume people want me to fix their problems as quickly as I can. But that assumption is laughably wrong.
Yes, laughably wrong.

It is so much easier to say "project x is behind schedule because it took me four days to get any meaningful support from IT" than it is to say "project x is behind schedule because I really wanted to focus more on the new Animal Crossing for Switch released this week."
[empathetic sidebar]I have no doubt that I am currently being blamed for a two week delay in a process that I tried to start earlier and have been pulling teeth to get moving for the last month. Up until the last day critical data was missing and the person responsible for it was asking me if I knew where they could find it. If I knew that I wouldn't have ******* asked you to get it for me, *******![/sidebar]
Many folks have been trained to believe that an excuse is just as valuable as a result.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 09:52 AM   #1793
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I'm dead serious when I say if you put a gun to my head and made me guess.

40% of my trouble calls are from users who actually want it fixed.
40% of my trouble calls are from users who want the problem to be going on as long as possible so they can sit on their keisters doing nothing because "their computer is down."
20% of my troubles calls are from people who just get a little self esteem boost when "service people" jump to attention for them.
Old 25th March 2020, 02:06 PM   #1794
catsmate
No longer the 1

Had a “setup my home printer” ticket. FFS
Request a MOPP suit.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th March 2020, 02:10 PM   #1795
catsmate
No longer the 1

Resolution: Insufficient information supplied, does not meet criteria.
Disposition: Closed

ETA: And support cases that don't meet standard criteria are billed to the originating department.

Last edited by catsmate; 25th March 2020 at 02:11 PM.
Old 25th March 2020, 04:17 PM   #1796
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Strictly for the purposes of appreciating this particular gripe, do you think that savvy users who find themselves a (sometimes reluctant) resource for assorted relatives and friends could include themselves as people inside IT?

Because I think I can feel your pain.

Old 25th March 2020, 04:48 PM   #1797
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Ethical dilemma: With the actual curl command, I have enough info to track down the error in the logs. Do I go ahead and tell them what's gone wrong and how they can fix it? Or do I let it ride until they come through with the error message themselves?
Oh boy yes. I generally come down on the side of "educate the user" but sometimes you just want to throw it all in the air and just do it for them.

- Randall Munroe
Old 25th March 2020, 04:52 PM   #1798
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

So much this.

All of my troubleshooting conversations go something like this:

"Hi!" says the user with the problem.

"...," say I, waiting for them to explain why they've attracted my attention.

"Hello," I say, half an hour later, when they still haven't spoken up.

"I'm having a problem with X," they say, another half hour after that.

"What are you trying to do, what happens when you try, and what's the error message you get?"

"I'm trying to upload Y."

"Okay, but how are you trying to upload Y? What's the actual command you're issuing? Upload Y to where? What happens when you do this? What's the error message?"

"I'm using curl."

"I mean, what is the actual curl command you're using. And what is the error message?"

Three hours later, after the workday is done, they tell me the actual curl command. I still don't know the error message.

A: Have you tried COBOL instead?
Old 25th March 2020, 06:09 PM   #1799
grmcdorman
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander
{snipped for brevity}
"I'm using curl."
A: Have you tried COBOL instead?
Nah. Use telnet. (You don't need secure connections, do you? )
Old 25th March 2020, 06:56 PM   #1800
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

So I'm back in the socially-distant office right now. But due to my recent health problems, my boss has offered for me to work from home four days a week. I'm okay with that, to be honest. The existing arrangement for now is 2 days home, 4 days in the office (rotating because we don't do 6 day weeks). I'd be cool coming in only on Wednesdays.

- Randall Munroe

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet