ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 1st December 2019, 11:42 AM   #1
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

This is why we are all doomed

Apostrophe campaign ends due to 'ignorance and laziness'

Quote:
A retired journalist who founded a campaign to preserve the correct use of the apostrophe is bowing out because "ignorance has won".

The Apostrophe Protection Society was started by John Richards in 2001 to tackle misuse of the punctuation mark.

His work involved advising people on proper use and writing to organisations to highlight their apostrophe abuse.

The 96-year-old said: "We have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern times have won."
"...just as a magnet attracts iron filings, Trump shemp attracts, and is attracted to, louts." - George Will
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 11:47 AM   #2
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Dont let setback's get you down!
Old 1st December 2019, 11:53 AM   #3
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

I no eggsackly how they feel's. Good littericalitisationism and Gramer is sadly lacking in peoples' these day's.

I tend too agree it is probably purley lazy'ness
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 12:46 PM   #4
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

A victory for greengrocer's everywhere!
Old 1st December 2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Myriad
Hyperthetical

No one should be surprised at the disappointing outcome. An apostrophe is, after all, a combination of an apocalypse and a catastrophe.
Old 1st December 2019, 05:56 PM   #6
LibraryLady
Emeritus

I thought that was an alpoca.
Old 1st December 2019, 06:12 PM   #7
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by LibraryLady View Post
I thought that was an alpoca.
What do sweater's have to do with the OP?
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 06:28 PM   #8
crescent
Illuminator

Quote:
A retired journalist who founded a campaign to preserve the correct use of the apostrophe is bowing out because "ignorance has won".

The Apostrophe Protection Society was started by John Richard's in 2001 to tackle misuse of the punctuation mark.

His work involved advising people on proper use and writing to organisation's to highlight their apostrophe abuse.

The 96-year-old said: "We have done our best but the ignorance and laziness present in modern time's have won."
Edited to reflect current common usage in social media.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 06:36 PM   #9
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The time's they are a changing.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:03 PM   #10
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 1st December 2019, 08:08 PM   #11
Apathia
Philosopher

I shall never give up my Oxford Comma!

"Humans aren't rational creatures but rationalizing creatures."
Author Unknown
Apathia is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:10 PM   #12
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
All your Oxford commas are belong to us!
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st December 2019, 08:10 PM   #13
Steve
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Indeed! The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe. The words of the wise should be heeded.
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Galaxie
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Apathia View Post
Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
All your Oxford commas are belong to us!
You can have my Oxford Commas when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:28 PM   #15
commandlinegamer
Philosopher

I do wonder if perhaps some people are just contrary.

A shop (hairdresser/beauty parlour) I pass on the bus occasionally has every single plural on its signage apostrophized, but omits the mark where it ought to be (the only exception being the business name, where to be fair, it's common practice to omit).

E.g. "gents cut's, hair extension's".
Old 2nd December 2019, 04:47 PM   #16
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

The BBC mixes American and UK conventions when it comes to punctuation near quotation marks. See first paragraph vs. fourth in the excerpted text in the first post.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:36 PM   #17
JDC
Thinker

We are doomed!

Let's eat, grandma!

vs

Let's eat grandma!

JDC is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 05:40 PM   #18
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Communication isn't for the masses. Information isn't for the masses. They have their folk ways and their traditions, to carry them through the vicissitudes of life.

The rule of the apostrophe is for scientists and philosophers, to talk amongst themselves about the higher things.
theprestige is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd December 2019, 07:55 PM   #19
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Well, there's still hope. Just as long as everyone remembers to put two spaces after their .'s.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 12:09 PM   #20
CORed
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well, there's still hope. Just as long as everyone remembers to put two spaces after their .'s.
That's what my junior high school typing teacher taught me to do. I never bother on a computer, though.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th December 2019, 01:45 PM   #21
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
That's what my junior high school typing teacher taught me to do. I never bother on a computer, though.
It's so embedded in my muscle memory I'd have a hard time stopping. I think the forum software strips out the extra one.

The first word processor I got for a Commodore 64 automatically put two spaces after every period. And decimal point. Two dollars and sixteen cents came out as $2. 16.

Now I'm going to click submit and see what the forum software does with that.
Old 8th December 2019, 09:37 PM   #22
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

I think they should be abolished. I defy anyone to write a pun where the only ambiguity is the placement of the apostrophe.
Old 8th December 2019, 10:44 PM   #23
Venom
Illuminator

lol
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 12:40 AM   #24
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
If you do that while texting (two spaces) it automatically enters a period for you.
Old 9th December 2019, 07:52 AM   #25
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by rjh01 View Post
I think they should be abolished. I defy anyone to write a pun where the only ambiguity is the placement of the apostrophe.

F''ocsle that!
Old 9th December 2019, 07:55 AM   #26
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
It's so embedded in my muscle memory I'd have a hard time stopping. I think the forum software strips out the extra one.

The first word processor I got for a Commodore 64 automatically put two spaces after every period. And decimal point. Two dollars and sixteen cents came out as $2. 16.

Now I'm going to click submit and see what the forum software does with that.
It would make a mess of will.i.am.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:22 AM   #27
calebprime
moleman

One is never certain if Varwoche is a man of culture or just a guy who churns out code, but if he can't get the apostrophe right, there is no hope.
Old 9th December 2019, 08:23 AM   #28
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I don't mind a typo now and then, but not when it's on permanent display on your main web page or the first splash screen of your expensive video game. I just came across these in the last week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture1029.JPG (39.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9096.JPG (92.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 9th December 2019, 09:11 AM   #29
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by calebprime View Post
One is never certain if Varwoche is a man of culture or just a guy who churns out code, but if he can't get the apostrophe right, there is no hope.
Fortunately my regular stalk Caleb routine permits me to nip these ugly smear's in the bud.

OK this part not a joke ... a few years ago there was an academic interviewed on NPR who made a compelling case for why the apostrophe should be retired. (One of the lesser points he made is how much typing occurs on mobile devices.) I heartily endorse, and hereby forego this archaic character. I need a little test run here...

Omitting an apostrophe isnt a big deal. Adding one in where it doesnt belong on the other hand is downright embarrassing.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:14 AM   #30
calebprime
moleman

Quote:
A banana that you or I affix to a wall isn't the same. The artist, unlike you and I, is able to envision that banana in all of its forms and conceptual manifestations. The banana represents human history in all it's glory and horror. It's a feeling. It's a bend in the road. It's an in-grown hair. It's Kaiser Soze. It's the love child of Charlie the Tuna and Betty Boop. It's a Ventura Blvd prostitute. It's the rank odor that permeates El Segundo. It's the owner of a Bob's Big Boy franchise. (Oddly, it has acquired a Southern CA theme. Fleetingly.)
You're to be forgiven. You were excited. Your blood was up. First thought, best thought.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:25 AM   #31
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

You're to be forgiven. You were excited. Your blood was up. First thought, best thought.
Thanks for nothing. I did such an artful job of making my gaffe seem like an omission, not a commission. For naught.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:28 AM   #32
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I don't mind a typo now and then, but not when it's on permanent display on your main web page or the first splash screen of your expensive video game. I just came across these in the last week.

I can't find the typo on the "Brightness" screen shot. Unless you mean the text running off the screen to the right, but that's more likely a display formatting error than any error in the text itself.

ETA: Oops, never mind. "Constrast."

Last edited by Myriad; 9th December 2019 at 09:29 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 09:29 AM   #33
calebprime
moleman

I had to look a long time. I think it was misspelling of Wednesday. small print.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:32 AM   #34
Myriad
Hyperthetical

I had to look a long time. I think it was misspelling of Wednesday. small print.

On that one, yeah, plus "... Twin Cities Best..." with no apostrophe.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:37 AM   #35
ArchSas
Thinker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Wait, that used to be a rule? What was the supposed purpose/rationale behind it?

I'm just curious, because I've never heard of that before, except in the case of teachers specifically saying not to do it as a bogus way to inflate page count. If anything, I'm sure it was taught to me as being incorrect. AFAIK, spell and grammar checks I've used all mark doing that as incorrect, as well.
ArchSas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 09:45 AM   #36
Myriad
Hyperthetical

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post
Wait, that used to be a rule? What was the supposed purpose/rationale behind it?

I'm just curious, because I've never heard of that before, except in the case of teachers specifically saying not to do it as a bogus way to inflate page count. If anything, I'm sure it was taught to me as being incorrect. AFAIK, spell and grammar checks I've used all mark doing that as incorrect, as well.

I think it was one of those typewriting rules that represented typesetting conventions in ways a standard typewriter was capable of. Like using underline to stand in for italic type. A typesetter could substitute a slightly wider space.
Old 9th December 2019, 09:53 AM   #37
autumn1971
Illuminator

“Wednesday” is a still-birth of a name. It somehow misspells and mispronounces itself at one go.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th December 2019, 09:56 AM   #38
autumn1971
Illuminator

Originally Posted by ArchSas View Post

Double space emphasizes the full stop. Makes reading text easier and eliminates confusion after initilizations.

It is useful but killed by character limits.
-The Bard
Old 9th December 2019, 11:42 AM   #39
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
“Wednesday” is a still-birth of a name. It somehow misspells and mispronounces itself at one go.
Like "February". No wonder it got shortchanged on days.
Old 9th December 2019, 11:51 AM   #40
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Like "February". No wonder it got shortchanged on days.
The fifth Wednesday in February is Superfluousness Day.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events